IGNORED

Joseph Duggar starts College

luv2laugh

Because Daddy controls the purse strings and has convinced the kids that without him, they will fail AND go straight to hell upon their demise.

IMO, all of those older kids *(Maybe not Jill) are waiting for someone else to blink, stand up to JB and walk outside the Duggar approved line...and then watch the dominos drop. This is why I think JD and Jana are hanging back- just waiting.

None of them wants to be the one to cross JB, yet they all are wishing the other guy will. Once one does it, most will do it.

I think you're on to something...Josh and Jill would keep the fake-smiles on until the empire has completely crumbled, but the rest of the kidults would likely follow the defector.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was no way Joseph was ever going to the College of the Ozarks. It's a real, accredited college that has actual standards for admission that the Duggar kids most likely couldn't meet. Besides it's way too liberal. There is a picture on the website of girls in jeans and one of a girl with her arm around a guy's shoulder! :shock: No way they were going allow Joseph to be exposed to stuff like that!

Reviving an old thread, and probably repeating something already said. However, College of the Ozarks is in Branson and is uber Christian and conservative.

UNIVERSITY of the Ozarks is in Clarksville, and is Presbyterian, and the Presbytery of Arkansas, which is connected to the University recently came out in support of LGBT rights. My son attends there. One of his professors is openly gay.

I just hate the idea that the two things get confused.

1. College of the Ozarks is nothing like Crown! I have had pastors from their who drink beer, wine and have hot tubs for goodness sake! lol

2. Any Joseph at college sightings? Any more filming?

1. College of the Ozarks is nothing like Crown! I have had pastors from their who drink beer, wine and have hot tubs for goodness sake! lol

2. Any Joseph at college sightings? Any more filming?

I haven't seen an at college shot, but thebatesfam posted this pic recently. Which is adorable.

instagram.com/p/zlhj1EMbqR/?modal=true

(hope I posted this link appropriately - please let me know if not!)

How do you going to go to college when you are always traveling.

That would be my thought too if my best friend had not traveled with the Grateful Dead the ENTIRE time we were in college. We went to different state universities but both are considered good schools and hers had decently hard entrance requirements. She majored in Sociology and had a gift with communicating with her professors and TA, they ALWAYS granted her alternate assignments. She graduated with honors. I was pissed. lol Especially because yes she was practicing typical GD fan behavior while on tour.

And this was way before Online course options. I would guess they could get credit for mission work and complete a lot of work online as well. I got my masters recently and it was almost all online, I could have been anywhere and just facetimed or conference called in for in class time to participate in the face to 'face' discussions. One woman had a baby during the semester and they accommodated her no issues.

That would be my thought too if my best friend had not traveled with the Grateful Dead the ENTIRE time we were in college. We went to different state universities but both are considered good schools and hers had decently hard entrance requirements. She majored in Sociology and had a gift with communicating with her professors and TA, they ALWAYS granted her alternate assignments. She graduated with honors. I was pissed. lol Especially because yes she was practicing typical GD fan behavior while on tour.

And this was way before Online course options. I would guess they could get credit for mission work and complete a lot of work online as well. I got my masters recently and it was almost all online, I could have been anywhere and just facetimed or conference called in for in class time to participate in the face to 'face' discussions. One woman had a baby during the semester and they accommodated her no issues.

I'm doing a master's program that is entirely online. The only thing we need to see humans for is midterms and finals, but we can take those at any testing center or on campus and it's only twice per semester (once for midterms, once for finals). Sometimes I go 2 weeks without watching any lectures. Then I pay for it when homework is due and I have six hours of lectures to watch. :naughty: But it's easy to travel if, unlike me, you set time aside for watching ~3 hours of lectures every week.

eta: Although, come to think of it, if this college is so anal about their ADULT students getting permission to leave campus, then I find it difficult to believe they would offer online classes like the ones I'm taking, where you only see people twice per semester.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure is Josh remembers much of when his parents were semi normal people. (I say semi bc normal people don't get engaged at 17 while still in high school and then get married six months later - still 17 - to their 19 year old fiancé bc mommy and daddy are moving and this is the only way to stay together :roll: because staying local for college wouldn't do the trick) J'chelle went nuts after j'caleb. The twins are only 22 months younger than Josh. J'chelle had seven children in the house when she had her breakdown. [\b] Josh was only seven at that point. How much could he really remember of that time? He was seven years old and the eldest of six children and depending on when exactly the breakdown happened, mommy was already pregnant again. He may remember a little bit, but sadly I don't think he remembers much of them being sane. If anything, he remembers his grandparents and his aunt being around a lot trying to save him from the craziness of his parents. Didn't one of them say Amy and Josh were close as children? JB and J'chelle lived near the school and Amy would sneak over during recess. He may not remember his parents being semi-normal, but he definitely remembers when everything turned and they went from crazy jesus freaks to fucking lunatics. (J'chelle said someone at church told them about homeschool when Josh was like four and that's what gave them the idea. I would think they were already into ATI at that point or pretty much there.)

And Josh definitely had to help with the younger kids for a while. Just in that first 14kids special, he had to help with James ("number 13") because he didn't want to take a nap while all the older kids went to the grocery store with mom. It wasn't J'chelle who stepped in, it was Josh. Because "this looks like a job for buddy". Only after Josh had him somewhat calmed down did J'chelle finally come over. Or how about when Josie was being born? He had to come over and help out there, too. I don't think he was really needed, so much as the older girls (mainly Jana) wanted Anna's help, but he was still there trying to control the little ones, even if he was being a pompous ass about it.

Sigh. Sometimes I wonder if he took on that burden - and later taking a few of the littles to the light show with just himself and Anna - as a way of trying to prove to Anna that it's not all roses and sunshine. I really want to believe that he doesn't want to have babies back to back for the simple reason that he doesn't want Mac having the same memories and later resentment that he has. Thankfully Anna's body is spacing her pregnancies a lot better than J'chelle. Maybe that's why he looks so overwhelmed and exhausted most of the time. He's not miserable, he's just terrified of what the future holds for his daughter, because he's finally seeing what this lifestyle does to people. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking …

Maybe the reason Michelle works/worked the J'Slaves so hard is because they were the ones who stressed her out so much (not their fault, of course; hers, in fact). So it's revenge of a sort.

Actually, female students ARE permitted to work. They may be using "he" because they don't believe in singular "they".

All students are held to a bunch of restrictions including needing to get permission, a work pass, and not being allowed to work overnight or on Sundays. There are a few additional rules for women who live on campus, but one of them actually appears to be a leniency that men don't have.

* Dormitory ladies may not work a job during the Wednesday evening church service without administrative approval.

* Dormitory ladies may not work at a mall or fast-food restaurant. Some exceptions may be made by the administration on a case-by-case basis.

* Arrangements for dormitory students traveling to and from work must be indicated on the work pass and approved by the Director of Student Employment. Ladies may be permitted to travel alone to work if necessary.

This is all absolutely terrifying. Do they have a freaking van that drives you to and from work every day? Multiple Fundie Shuttles???? Do they consider 19 Kids a job that he needs permission to appear on? And why can women not work at a fast-food place? Don't they realize that's the only job most of these teenagers are qualified for?? I mean, I guess I'm glad he's off doing his own this but these rules are ridiculous. And I remember thinking that no overnight guests the first semester of freshman year at my Catholic college was annoying and strict!

This is all absolutely terrifying. Do they have a freaking van that drives you to and from work every day? Multiple Fundie Shuttles???? Do they consider 19 Kids a job that he needs permission to appear on? And why can women not work at a fast-food place? Don't they realize that's the only job most of these teenagers are qualified for?? I mean, I guess I'm glad he's off doing his own this but these rules are ridiculous. And I remember thinking that no overnight guests the first semester of freshman year at my Catholic college was annoying and strict!

I could just never conceive going to a school with so many rules. I'd love to see a Duggar come to my alma mater, where every 4/20, the entire campus gathers to smoke prodigious amounts of weed, and all the bathrooms are gender neutral.

I could just never conceive going to a school with so many rules. I'd love to see a Duggar come to my alma mater, where every 4/20, the entire campus gathers to smoke prodigious amounts of weed, and all the bathrooms are gender neutral.

HA! That might be going from one extreme to the next but maybe a few Duggars down the line will end up at a more "moderate" college and eventually Josie will be on your quad smoking joints! :lol:

https://vimeo.com/26653607

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, so apologies if it has, but I was just cruising stufffundieslike.com and found this video from Crown College with commentary by the website 2010, and it's hilarious! :P in a sad, awkward way :cracking-up:

Has anyone seen Joseph around the TN area where he is attending college? Does no one see him eating out at a pizza joint around town or picking up needed items from the local walmart? You never hear any gossips on these kids other than what you see on socialmedia. I guess next he'll be headed home for summer. It would be great if he managed to get a job and stay around the TN area and not head home during summer break but I seriously doubt that will happen.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone think Joshgate 1 & 2 have affected Joe's college experience? Does anyone have info on whether he is still attending?

Does anyone think Joshgate 1 & 2 have affected Joe's college experience? Does anyone have info on whether he is still attending?

I was wondering about this myself. I had assumed Joe was allowed to attend college only so it could be an additional storyline for the show, and also to shove it in naysayers faces: Look, we DO allow our kids to make choices!

Now, with the show being canceled, I've been curious to see if Jim Bob continues to fund something that in the past he has said is unnecessary. I hope Joe is allowed to continue; uncredited or not, Crown allows him to escape TTH and he is able to meet new people and hopefully enjoy different experiences even if they are 'fundified' ones.

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, so apologies if it has, but I was just cruising stufffundieslike.com and found this video from Crown College with commentary by the website 2010, and it's hilarious! :P in a sad, awkward way :cracking-up:

Those dormitory style bedrooms(bunk beds) look pretty crowded! Guess that's what they're used to at home! :text-baaa:

No info yet. I've been watching Bates and Crown College social media in hopes of catching a glimpse of him, but so nothing yet. I really hope he is there this semester-- anything to get away from the Duggar compound.

No info yet. I've been watching Bates and Crown College social media in hopes of catching a glimpse of him, but so nothing yet. I really hope he is there this semester-- anything to get away from the Duggar compound.

Joe always seemed more like JD than JB or Smuggar. Maybe they really would let him continue. It would also still make them look good to have a kid in college.

Is it possible, that JB, tight-fisted as he is, may have negotiated a scholarship, deep discount, or even free ride for Joseph to attend Crown College--just for the privilege of having a Duggar on campus? Perhaps now that the Duggar stock has been devalued, his presence at the school is not worth as much. Just a supposition, mind you.

Poor Joseph--I know that this college is not the "real world," but at least it is a step towards it. Even if I was a fundie, I would not want to shell out the money that this college costs. Their "degrees" don't seem to be worth the money on which they are printed. Their "Batchelor Degree in Education" allows you to teach in "Christian day school, home school, or tutoring environments" but not public schools. According to their website, it will cost you over $13,000 a year for tuition, room and board and fee. Then another $800 per year for books, plus whatever other expenses you have (clothes, entertainment, supplies, etc.) Seems like a big investment for little return. MAYBE if I had a daughter I expected to live the fundie life I would send her there to snag a preacher-husband and encourage her to get one of their education degrees so that she can better homeschool her own kids, or if her husband's future church has a school attached, teach there to bring in extra income. I guess you would have to be fundie lite to do that, though.

Joe strikes me as one of the few children that might be pissed at Josh, so I hope he got to leave to get away, even if it's for a phony degree.

But they could've used Joe's college tuition money to pay for Josh's pray your sins away community service.

Maybe the whole Crown College situation was just a plot point for the show so JB could say his son is away at college. No show, no college. Nothing about this family would surprise me anymore. I'm numb.

I was looking through their facebook pictures and there's one from August 14 at a cookout, where at the right side of the picture you can see that someone is wearing a navy blue t-shirt that appears to say "RESCUE" on the back. You can't see the person's face and I don't think he's visible in any other photos, but I would think that if Joe were at that cookout and wearing a t-shirt, it would be one of his fire department ones.

Archived