IGNORED

Joseph Duggar starts College

luv2laugh

The Duggars would have a fit abut my university. We have a section of the dorms for gender neutral housing! We also wonsome sort of LGBT-friendly University award.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you all think that J'Joe was sent away to find a nice fundie wife ( putting aside speculation of a Bates girl) He doesn't seem to be motivated to do so in J'Tontitown. The college is a Walmart of proper virgins for him, yee-haw

'J'Joe'? Okay, that's one I've never seen before. Don't think it's works when it already begins with a J. ;)

I doubt they're putting much pressure on Joseph to find a wife yet, it's John David they'd be worried about.

Yeah, I think Jim Bob has been trying to get John David to find a girl for quite awhile now, and JD doesn't seem interested in budging on bachelorhood. I wonder when J'Bob is going to get the hint and drop it soon?

Joseph might start to look like a better prospect, despite his young age, for courtship...and ratings.

That's probably it plus you have to show financial need which they might not be able to

Financial need can be waived. I know people who could afford it that still attended. CofO is my college. I'd love to see a Duggar there but it's not going to happen. It's a fairly normal college. The dress code boils down to, keep your naughty bits covered and keep your underwear under your clothing. There are no dating rules. There are no work off campus rules other than the gate closes at 1 AM. After that you have to show your student ID. Church is only required a few times a semester not 7 times a week like CC. There are parties, not on campus but the student body does drink. Oh one rule they'd agree with is no co-ed dorms.

If Joseph is really into preaching and "discipling" it's possible that he wants to be a minister (an actual minister, not a Gil Bates, "hmm, let's start a church up" minister) and is pursuing an education to that end. And even with the Duggar name he might find it hard to get a job as a minister at age 20 with no credentials outside of "reality TV show cast member and frequent visitor to South America for mission trips".

Or, maybe he wants to be a mechanic, who knows? I suppose in a dorm at Clown, he is at least as well-supervised/controlled as he was at ALERT.

If Joseph is really into preaching and "discipling" it's possible that he wants to be a minister (an actual minister, not a Gil Bates, "hmm, let's start a church up" minister) and is pursuing an education to that end. And even with the Duggar name he might find it hard to get a job as a minister at age 20 with no credentials outside of "reality TV show cast member and frequent visitor to South America for mission trips".

I just can't see Joseph having a career that involves public speaking of any kind.

As much as it pains me to say it, I can see Josiah being encouraged down a ministerial path.

I just can't see Joseph having a career that involves public speaking of any kind.

As much as it pains me to say it, I can see Josiah being encouraged down a ministerial path.

I recall Josiah saying in one of the early specials that he wanted to be a missionary, so it wouldn't surprise me if he does end up as a full time ministerial position.

Maybe they chose Crown because a bunch of the Bateses have attended, obviously approve, and Joseph has a place to visit/stay/whatever while he's there. Or he really wants the bible + auto mechanics program they offer. It also makes sense that he'd attend a college that will allow filming.

I bet Crown is going to get a lot more applications than they did pre-Joseph. And that the better Joseph likes it, and succeeds, the more success Crown will continue to have attracting the fundie hordes.

I think this is totally an element of why he's going. Crown added a new tech program and needs publicity for it. They contacted the Duggars to see if they'd send one of their kids and give them a ton of publicity.

This topic over all topics that I have read since March 2014 gets under my skin the most. I would have never survived the oppression. However, I do hope Joseph gets something out of it, that it is a positive growth experience for him. He deserves that. And..i have to admit that I am a teeny bit surprised in a positive way that the Dug's have sent him off to a school.

I recall Josiah saying in one of the early specials that he wanted to be a missionary, so it wouldn't surprise me if he does end up as a full time ministerial position.

Just because a kid says they want to be a pastor doesn't mean they *really* want to be one... It's like how all the females say they want to be mothers. It's only because that's the only option open to them. The males do have more freedom, but not by much.

Just because a kid says they want to be a pastor doesn't mean they *really* want to be one... It's like how all the females say they want to be mothers. It's only because that's the only option open to them. The males do have more freedom, but not by much.

Oh, I understand that, but it would surprise me if none of the Duggar boys went into the ministry, given how many of them there are and the fairly low educational bar needed to be an IFB minister. Despite the "daddy is my priest/minister" mentality that you see in the quiverfull/patriarchal scene, I can see JB and Michelle thinking that they were super special and godly for having a minister as a son. I also think that being a missionary is probably the best way for a Duggar boy to separate himself from his family and maybe get some adventure and variety out of life, while still staying in Gothardland and retaining the blinkered ATI outlook.

In my area, a few years ago, there was a concerted effort for "Christian" businesses to advertise and patronize one another. They all used the fish logo in their advertising. They mentioned it on the radio. I found it rather disgusting and patronizing and I flat out refused to use those services. One of them, however, was a garage/ car repair service in the county north of me. I wouldn't have gone there if I broke down in front of the place. Perhaps Joseph is going to be the start of a similar Christian business renaissance in his area.

They all used the fish logo in their advertising.

There was a scene in season one of Chicago P.D where one of the officers said "Jesus Fish" (in regards to clues for the case they were working on) and another officer tried to tell them the right name of the fish.

It was quite a funny scene actually.

Holy shit! These rules are insane!! Who would want to go to this place? There are more rules at this school than at a children's summer camp or even my Catholic elementary school.

This is an unaccredited "college" right? Like,it's not really even real?(you know what I mean)

What strikes me most is how they list practically EVERY action/event that students will be doing and give them guidelines of how they should do them. Really? Students are expected to clean up after themselves and conduct themselves properly in the dining hall? They really feel like they need to be in TOTAL control. That's just scary.

It's also sad to me that there is a dress code for attending classes! College was the best time ever for me, because I wore yoga pants and boots or flipflops every day! it's supposed to be a time in your life where you can do what you want (to a point), not where people are watching your every move and telling you how everything should be. I'm glad that (is it Joseph?) is getting out of the house and maybe will be able to have SOME life experiences, but this is just a sad excuse for more brainwashing and controlling kids. (sigh)

One of the kids needs to be a minister so that boob can finally achieve his dream of a proper tax shelter church.

What, you don't have faith in the glorious future of the Right Reverend Seewald? :lol:

In my area, a few years ago, there was a concerted effort for "Christian" businesses to advertise and patronize one another. They all used the fish logo in their advertising. They mentioned it on the radio. I found it rather disgusting and patronizing and I flat out refused to use those services. One of them, however, was a garage/ car repair service in the county north of me. I wouldn't have gone there if I broke down in front of the place. Perhaps Joseph is going to be the start of a similar Christian business renaissance in his area.

My parents used to be big fans of this. :( You could get "Christian phonebooks" at the churches so you know which businesses are "Christian" and can choose to support them. :roll:

Of course, the criteria for what makes a business "Christian" was...loose. I mean, if they were actually selected by only using places that donated large amounts of money to charity or something like that, maybe I could understand. But AFAIK all it required was the business owners saying they were Christian.

I could see doing something like that if you were a minority in your area and wanted to build a sense of community, maybe, but where I lived, the area was already probably 75% Christian, so it just felt cruel and like an intentional effort to isolate people who were different.

I could see doing something like that if you were a minority in your area and wanted to build a sense of community, maybe, but where I lived, the area was already probably 75% Christian, so it just felt cruel and like an intentional effort to isolate people who were different.

To me it is a directory of business to avoid.

There are even accredited schools with restrictive honor codes (see any BYU campus) that you can be expelled for violating. Not a lawyer, but I think the point Alachantal makes explains how it is legal--private schools can make a covenant that students sign voluntarily (read: because of parental pressure and brainwashing), and if they don't abide by it, they have to leave.

I know I'm late to this conversation but my ex actually attended New Tribes. I'm one degree separated from most of the schools listed in this thread lol.

A lot of these schools get students through their scholarship programs. I myself actually heavily considered attending Liberty (applied and accepted early action, the works) because they literally threw money at me. Scholarships for good grades, clubs, having a minister write you a recommendation, or having ministers in your family. At the time tuition+room & board ran under $20,000 for the year and my scholarship package was nearly $16,000 before any type of federal aid or loans.

If I were younger and faster, I think it would be a blast to streak through the CC campus. What a hoot! Kidding of course, but I wonder how they would handle that?

I've posted this before but there was a joke at Hyles-Anderson:

Student 1: There was a streaker on campus today.

Student 2: Really?

Student 1: Yep. Joe was late for chapel and came out of the dorm without his tie.

I know I'm late to this conversation but my ex actually attended New Tribes. I'm one degree separated from most of the schools listed in this thread lol.

A lot of these schools get students through their scholarship programs. I myself actually heavily considered attending Liberty (applied and accepted early action, the works) because they literally threw money at me. Scholarships for good grades, clubs, having a minister write you a recommendation, or having ministers in your family. At the time tuition+room & board ran under $20,000 for the year and my scholarship package was nearly $16,000 before any type of federal aid or loans.

I considered Liberty as well. It would have been free for me to go there.

Every time I think about it, I'm so glad I didn't. I ended up going to a much more liberal Christian university that I still think very highly of today.

Who are these young men that Joseph is supposedly "discipling"? Granted, Joseph hardly gets any screen time, but I don't recall "19 Kids and Counting" ever showing any of the male Duggar kids with friends or acquaintances outside of the family. There have been a few instances where the J'slaves were shown hanging out with other girls, but never the boys. Maybe I could believe that Joseph was a youth minister or counselor of sorts if the Duggars attended a conventional church with volunteer opportunities, but since they worship in the Church of the Holy Storage Unit (where membership appears to be by invitation only), it's questionable where or when he would have the opportunity to "disciple." Does ALERT have some kind of counselor option for repeat campers/offenders like Journey to the Heart?

I've posted this before but there was a joke at Hyles-Anderson:

Student 1: There was a streaker on campus today.

Student 2: Really?

Student 1: Yep. Joe was late for chapel and came out of the dorm without his tie.

:shifty-kitty:

Huh. Fundie humor is about as funny as I expected.

Archived