IGNORED

Joseph Duggar starts College

luv2laugh

Him buying a house doesn't = him living in it though. With JB's background in real estate, I wouldn't be shocked if John bought a house and had to rent it out until he was married. Jim Bob probably would have "allowed" him a mortgage if he had rental money coming in to pay it off.

I mean, I would not be SURPRISED if John wasn't living at home necessarily. But I think it's suspect, for sure.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is JD's house a regular starter house, like what Jessa/Ben are living in? If so, what could a house like that cost in AR? JB probably floated him the cash...to keep him in line. Wasn't Jill's house less than $100,000 when the D's bought it?

Him buying a house doesn't = him living in it though. With JB's background in real estate, I wouldn't be shocked if John bought a house and had to rent it out until he was married. Jim Bob probably would have "allowed" him a mortgage if he had rental money coming in to pay it off.

I mean, I would not be SURPRISED if John wasn't living at home necessarily. But I think it's suspect, for sure.

I'm sure I remember Michelle saying he was renting out the house he bought. Of course she also said Jana was a conccert pianist, so who knows...

Is JD's house a regular starter house, like what Jessa/Ben are living in? If so, what could a house like that cost in AR? JB probably floated him the cash...to keep him in line. Wasn't Jill's house less than $100,000 when the D's bought it?

If I recall correctly JD's house was a bank-owned property that the bank gave him in return for clearing another property (possibly with a house on it).

No money was exchanged and there was no mortgage involved. It was barter: JD cleared some property and was paid in the form of a house (that probably needed a lot of work).

If I recall correctly JD's house was a bank-owned property that the bank gave him in return for clearing another property (possibly with a house on it).

No money was exchanged and there was no mortgage involved. It was barter: JD cleared some property and was paid in the form of a house (that probably needed a lot of work).

That sounds correct. I believe there's also a phone line there that is in JD's name. If renters had a phone line, it would be in their name. Again, that was like a year ago so it could be different now.

I thought it was okay for single men to live on their own before marriage? They could buy a home and fix it up or whatever in preparations for marriage.

You are completely under your father's authority until you marry and even then he can contradict you if you let him! lol....... I don't know how JD could have really moved out without it getting in the media. WORKING on a house is one thing, but I'd imagine he still checks in pretty regularly at home. But, if Jim-Bob approved of him moving out then he's free to do so. But Jim-Bob being a politician and responding on the show to almost every criticism we've ever made here--I'm sure we'd have seen him and heard more crap about how "free" they all are to forge their own lives and Michelle going on and on about how "precious" "this season of life" is for him.....

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at Crown College of the Bible's photos from their big valentine's day banquet yesterday (available on the Crown College website under "media" or on their public Facebook page). Also, no Duggars or Bates were spotted. But if you are looking for a gallery of awkward fundy formalwear (as well as all the maidens Joe gets to pick from), here it is! Most of the girls have a shrug or sweater over their dresses---partly to cover their ungodly shoulders, partly because its very cold this weekend. Some of the looks work; many do not. PS For those who are wondering, there are also what many would consider to be "interracial" couples.

I looked at Crown College of the Bible's photos from their big valentine's day banquet yesterday (available on the Crown College website under "media" or on their public Facebook page). Also, no Duggars or Bates were spotted. But if you are looking for a gallery of awkward fundy formalwear (as well as all the maidens Joe gets to pick from), here it is! Most of the girls have a shrug or sweater over their dresses---partly to cover their ungodly shoulders, partly because its very cold this weekend. Some of the looks work; many do not. PS For those who are wondering, there are also what many would consider to be "interracial" couples.

Yay, fundie prom!! Thanks for sharing. Seriously, they all look like awkward 16-year olds. Not that I'm surprised.

ETA: Man, those modesty panels/undershirts are KILLING me. How freaking hard can it be to buy a modest dress to begin with? Why do these people always have to out-modest each other? /rant

Yay, fundie prom!! Thanks for sharing. Seriously, they all look like awkward 16-year olds. Not that I'm surprised.

ETA: Man, those modesty panels/undershirts are KILLING me. How freaking hard can it be to buy a modest dress to begin with? Why do these people always have to out-modest each other? /rant

I kept laughing because just about every couple have their hands placed in their lap which just looks so forced and awkward. They look like they should be holding hands. Also what is up with the people singing in aprons?

I know! Again with the modesty panels/undershirts/shrugs! I admit that it can be difficult to buy a formal dress that has a high neckline & actual sleeves, but just as with Duggars, you get the feeling that they'd rather go to the extra effort to mess up an immodest dress with extra layers to show off how virtuous they are. Some of these girls went overboard with the full-on DIsney Princess prom dress (there are even a couple of tiaras in the crowd) but I guess this is as a close to a prom as it gets for them. [Not counting those purity balls with Daddy].

If Joseph Duggar is still at Crown next February (and I hope he is, rather than home with mommy & daddy), I hope he takes a girl to the Valentine's banquet and we get to see pics.

that is truly insane -

Why can't that happen here

INSANE

and why did Joe just send his sister flowers ??does anyone else find this a little odd

Man, those modesty panels/undershirts are KILLING me. How freaking hard can it be to buy a modest dress to begin with? Why do these people always have to out-modest each other? /rant

Or at least buy an undershirt that's the same colour as the dress, or something along the same lines (like blue if the dress is green, instead of white!) Isn't modesty about being understated?

I don't understand the whole banquet thing. I get that this is their version of a school dance...but what do they do? Just show up, eat a meal and go home? Is there more to it?

that is truly insane -

Why can't that happen here

INSANE

and why did Joe just send his sister flowers ??does anyone else find this a little odd

I'm going to assume that the house came with a lot of some sort because if not, there would have been an episode with the Duggars moving a house...Where I live, no barter would involve a house and lot. Insane, I agree.

I don't understand the whole banquet thing. I get that this is their version of a school dance...but what do they do? Just show up, eat a meal and go home? Is there more to it?

There would be praying, lots of praying. And speeches, lots of speeches about praying. :wink-kitty:

And I think there would be time for parents to check over courtship prospectives, meet the other parents and swap credentials. Check out how modestly everyone is dressed. And then pray some more. Not that I have anything against prayer; do it myself regularly. Just not so fundie.

There would be praying, lots of praying. And speeches, lots of speeches about praying. :wink-kitty:

And I think there would be time for parents to check over courtship prospectives, meet the other parents and swap credentials. Check out how modestly everyone is dressed. And then pray some more. Not that I have anything against prayer; do it myself regularly. Just not so fundie.

Sounds like a hoot. :roll:

Or at least buy an undershirt that's the same colour as the dress, or something along the same lines (like blue if the dress is green, instead of white!) Isn't modesty about being understated?

I'm guessing because most of them got their dresses from a thrift store. Buy used and modesty panel the difference!

I'm guessing because most of them got their dresses from a thrift store. Buy used and modesty panel the difference!

I thought that was just a Duggar motto?

I thought that was just a Duggar motto?

Buy used and save the difference comes from the debt free seminar they attended, which I believe is really popular in ATI. It's also really popular with Christians on pinterest.

I've spent waaaay too much time at the Clown College website trying to see these banquet pictures and can't find them. Would someone link, please?

I know, right? Come on, you could wear something like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... de4b6c.jpg

Or this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... c3ca94.jpg

Or this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... a65f9a.jpg

But no, it's these cheap-looking boleros over prom dresses. Ladies, you are college students. Dress like adults. You can be modest and still look stylish and pretty; it just takes a bit of hunting and some good tailoring. I agree that it's probably a holier-than-thou thing, because I feel like (most) Orthodox Jewish and Muslim women tend to do it as just their "thing" and dress better as a result, whereas fundie Christian women tend to do it in a "LOOK HOW MODEST AND NOT WORLDLY I AM" sort of way, and look terrible because they're bowdlerizing fashion.

It's the same with a lot of religious media, I think; the stuff that's clearly the moral/bowdlerized substitute for the "worldly" thing almost invariably sucks, while generally, religious media that doesn't try to go "LOOK WE ARE RELEVANT WE CAN BE ROCK N ROLL AND MAKE MOVIE FILMS" can be pretty good (vis a vis Prince of Egypt, which isn't trying to be a moral substitute for Disney, and instead just tells a religious story and makes it engaging and relevant to religious and secular viewers). Moral of the story: just be yourselves, guys.

Archived