IGNORED

Joseph Duggar starts College

luv2laugh

I think he's living with the Bates for the simple reason it's much cheaper. And if another Bates is commuting over...

Joseph is only doing a year there-- what is his goal there?

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you read that Joseph is only doing a year at Crown? I hadn't heard that.

If that is true, he's likely doing the 2 semester "Certificate of Christian Life": http://thecrowncollege.com/academics/ch ... rtificate/

I'd rather have him living on campus, although I agree being with the Bates must be cheaper, simply because Crown is not an ATI institution, and I'd like to see him exposed to non-ATI thinking (even if its still fundy Christian) and live with peers instead of a bunch of younger brothers.

Where did you read that Joseph is only doing a year at Crown? I hadn't heard that.

If that is true, he's likely doing the 2 semester "Certificate of Christian Life": http://thecrowncollege.com/academics/ch ... rtificate/

I'd rather have him living on campus, although I agree being with the Bates must be cheaper, simply because Crown is not an ATI institution, and I'd like to see him exposed to non-ATI thinking (even if its still fundy Christian) and live with peers instead of a bunch of younger brothers.

The rules of the campus are so restrictive that I doubt it would allow him any change in a world view by living on campus. But it might help him to live with the Bateses

because they seem less restrictive than the Duggars.

Ps, I was reading the student handbook. If an off campus student receives 50 demerits or an on campus student received 75 demerits as a result of dating violations, they're not allowed to have any contact whatsoever with the other person. At all.

Also, why are they paying 10k for a paramedic program that won't make them actual paramedics?

To make JimChelle look like good parents. I'm sure the local community college in Ak has a paramedic program that is accredited.

I saw it on that Duggar family blog-- by the authors in one of the comments section. I'm trying to recall which posting-- it wasn't the one that announced him going.

Thanks for the link...I saw it included semester long practicum. I wonder what that is like? Preaching in the street like Josh? door to door?

I'd like to see him on campus too, but the money (and the other mentioned reasons) I'd put $ on he's with the Bates. They could easily keep him out of filming of their own show... hey they did it with Jana on the road trip with Josh and Anna!

Based on the stories I've read on "Stuff Fundies Like," many young adults raised in Duggar-like families are so relieved to be on their own for a chance that even a highly restricted "bible college" seems like a chance at freedom. It's not till they get there that they realize that they've simply gone from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. This is especially true given that these IFB "colleges" rely on students spying and snitching on one another to maintain control, which isn't that unlike the kind of sibling dynamics that exist within IFB families.

This doesn't surprise me at all, given how ATI requires single people, regardless of age, to be under constant surveillance, lest they lose control and have sex with every carbon-based life form they meet.

They bloody wish we had sex all the time. Um we have jobs, bills to pay, friends to see, kids to raise, pets to look after, cooking, cleaning. Yes us heathens are sex maniacs...

They bloody wish we had sex all the time. Um we have jobs, bills to pay, friends to see, kids to raise, pets to look after, cooking, cleaning. Yes us heathens are sex maniacs...

If you're single and have kids, you're a poster child for their belief about what happens when you have sex with the one God didn't intend for you (or if you didn't remain pure before marriage).

Based on the stories I've read on "Stuff Fundies Like," many young adults raised in Duggar-like families are so relieved to be on their own for a chance that even a highly restricted "bible college" seems like a chance at freedom. It's not till they get there that they realize that they've simply gone from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. This is especially true given that these IFB "colleges" rely on students spying and snitching on one another to maintain control, which isn't that unlike the kind of sibling dynamics that exist within IFB families.

I can imagine that a kid from a fundie mega-family going to a very restrictive bible college would have a sense of relief, like "oh my god I'm not surrounded by shrieking five-year-olds and I can talk to people not related to me. THIS IS AWESOME!"

...Then I'm sure that like in any enclosed space with a lot of young people with low maturity levels and high need to establish dominance and control, plus a high sense of moral superiority, the drama and backstabbing start. It's like, I'd imagine, all the pettiness and gossip and backstabbing of high school theatre club, but with none of the sex.

If you're single and have kids, you're a poster child for their belief about what happens when you have sex with the one God didn't intend for you (or if you didn't remain pure before marriage).

Gotta love that mentality. Children are a blessing! Unless you're an unmarried heathen - then they're a punishment.

" It's like, I'd imagine, all the pettiness and gossip and backstabbing of high school theatre club, but with none of the sex."

--LOVE THIS! Also, you've got the added drama of a bunch of students who were homeschooled (I'm sure many were, but not all) suddenly having to adjust to a classroom of non-siblings and authority figures who are not their parents.

And when I think about Joe being on campus, I am thinking more about the ability to hang out with non-family peers and talk about godly maidens without a bunch of 8 year old brothers listening in. And for all its restrictive rules, Crown College is not GOTHARD. There are students who went to schools (probably fundy Christian academies) that weren't the family dining room table. There are girls who wear pants & long shorts off campus. And since the student handbook discusses "dating violations"-- that means there are students who DATE (with a purpose)--Not just COURT--without a parent breathing down their neck.

Yes, these are tiny steps. But I'd love for every Duggarling to have the ability to live away from the Duggar media circus for a while.

" It's like, I'd imagine, all the pettiness and gossip and backstabbing of high school theatre club, but with none of the sex."

--LOVE THIS! Also, you've got the added drama of a bunch of students who were homeschooled (I'm sure many were, but not all) suddenly having to adjust to a classroom of non-siblings and authority figures who are not their parents.

And when I think about Joe being on campus, I am thinking more about the ability to hang out with non-family peers and talk about godly maidens without a bunch of 8 year old brothers listening in. And for all its restrictive rules, Crown College is not GOTHARD. There are students who went to schools (probably fundy Christian academies) that weren't the family dining room table. There are girls who wear pants & long shorts off campus. And since the student handbook discusses "dating violations"-- that means there are students who DATE (with a purpose)--Not just COURT--without a parent breathing down their neck.

Yes, these are tiny steps. But I'd love for every Duggarling to have the ability to live away from the Duggar media circus for a while.

Having more than a "brief, casual encounter" between two people of the opposite sex counts as dating. You can't even sit together at meals or church without "dating." Even Gothard isn't THAT restrictive about opposite sex interactions.

Having more than a "brief, casual encounter" between two people of the opposite sex counts as dating. You can't even sit together at meals or church without "dating." Even Gothard isn't THAT restrictive about opposite sex interactions.

I mean, aside from me being a liberal, bisexual, feminist, somewhat promiscuous Jewish lady with a full-time job, I think this would be one of the reasons Clown College would be an awful fit for me. Ever since I was a little girl I've had mostly male friends (these days it's more of an even mix between male and female, though); I couldn't imagine going to a school where I wouldn't be allowed to have lunch with my friends just because they're boys.

According to Lawson Bateseseses Instagram, https://instagram.com/p/zc-IT5Pfca/?modal=true

He, Nathan Bates & Joe Duggar just toured the ABC NY studios with JuJu Chang (who I believe did the earlier ABC special of Alyssa's wedding).

Shouldn't Nathan & Joe be in class today? And more important, who was chaperoning these young men?? :?

What do you think the ABC news piece will be about? Also, I think its interesting that TLC and UPTV are able to work out these joint media appearances, since the 2 channels are not related in any way.

Why would three grown-ass men* need chaperones? I thought chaperones were for dates. I mean, shouldn't they be each other's chaperone/accountability buddy? Anyway, what's a chaperone supposed to do? Being by yourself or in a group of people isn't going to stop anyone from having "impure thoughts" or catching a glimpse of someone's ass. Unless they are supposed to stop each other from groping people or some shit, which I really hope these people have enough self control to not do that. My goodness.

*I know they're like children with their bullshit upbringing, but they are over 18! (I think?)

Why would three grown-ass men* need chaperones? I thought chaperones were for dates. I mean, shouldn't they be each other's chaperone/accountability buddy? Anyway, what's a chaperone supposed to do? Being by yourself or in a group of people isn't going to stop anyone from having "impure thoughts" or catching a glimpse of someone's ass. Unless they are supposed to stop each other from groping people or some shit, which I really hope these people have enough self control to not do that. My goodness.

*I know they're like children with their bullshit upbringing, but they are over 18! (I think?)

Because Daddy controls the purse strings and has convinced the kids that without him, they will fail AND go straight to hell upon their demise.

IMO, all of those older kids *(Maybe not Jill) are waiting for someone else to blink, stand up to JB and walk outside the Duggar approved line...and then watch the dominos drop. This is why I think JD and Jana are hanging back- just waiting.

None of them wants to be the one to cross JB, yet they all are wishing the other guy will. Once one does it, most will do it.

According to Lawson Bateseseses Instagram, https://instagram.com/p/zc-IT5Pfca/?modal=true

He, Nathan Bates & Joe Duggar just toured the ABC NY studios with JuJu Chang (who I believe did the earlier ABC special of Alyssa's wedding).

Shouldn't Nathan & Joe be in class today? And more important, who was chaperoning these young men?? :?

What do you think the ABC news piece will be about? Also, I think its interesting that TLC and UPTV are able to work out these joint media appearances, since the 2 channels are not related in any way.

https://instagram.com/p/zdKuw7tBLy/?modal=true

I stand corrected, it is Josiah, and there are more pics of a whole herd of Duggars & Bates on the general Duggar thread. I'm a bit disappointed--I liked the idea of 3 fundy young men roaming free in Times Square!

Run Josiah, run!

RUN JOSIAH!!!!

Seriously though, they probably do have chaperones. They're not going to tell themselves "nike!"

Actually looking at the Bates' IG, it seems the boys are headed to the Phillipines for a humanitarian mission.

Actually looking at the Bates' IG, it seems the boys are headed to the Phillipines for a humanitarian mission.

While doing touristy things and staying in nice hotels? 8-)

While doing touristy things and staying in nice hotels? 8-)

Exactly, I hope they post pictures during their missioncation.

Lawson Bates and some other Duggar and Bates guys went to the Phillipines about a year ago as well. I can't get the Bates site to open right now, but there were several posts about it, like this: thebatesfamily.com/philippines-aftermath/ and we discussed it on FJ.

Archived