IGNORED

19 Kids & Marrying - Duggar Snark Season 9 - Part 4

happy atheist

I agree that not everything the Duggars do is snark-worthy. Normally, a kiss isn't but I think, YMMV, what has a lot of people disgusted is the flood of pictures. These aren't chaste kisses and there is a disconnect, for me, between all the modesty talk and the pictures. Also, Jessa and Ben declined to kiss in public at the wedding ceremony. At first, I thought - "Good for you." I believed it a FU moment toward(s) her parents and TLC. The kiss is not part of a marriage vows at any rate. Then, roughly, 3 days later, we get to see J & B, and then the awkward picture of them and JOSH AND ANNA . Who does this? Then JB & M... Not only do they copy 'the kiss' but send it to her and Jessa puts it on the internet.

It's an ovedose.

If this was the Kardashians or Honey Boo Boo clan, people would be up in arms.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, Jessa posted her parents' kissing pic because she knew that they had crossed the line. Jessa is a lot of things: annoying, pushy, but not outright stupid. I have no doubts that Michelle was the mastermind behind the imitation pic. Michelle was probably pissed off that Jessa was getting so much attention from the pic. It had nothing to do with the Duggars defending their daughter. There are easier ways to defend Jessa and Ben's pic. Michelle and Boob could have gone on a morning show or posted a video online to defend it, rather than copying their daughter and her newlywed husband kissing.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at TTH, just to hear what Michelle is saying. I bet Michelle is not easy to be around right now. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't allow anyone to court/date with a purpose anytime soon.

I can't not believe I am about to post this.

The recreation picture of dim bulb and j'chelle is a direct response to the negative comments about Jessa and Ben.

I do not like the Duggars, I don't like the way they raise their kids, their politics, their religion, and the list goes on.

I can't stand the Duggars but can't turn away from the train wreck that they are, so I come to this message board where I can rubberneck with a bunch of others who feel the same way. But not everything they do is snark worthy. After months of us snarking about Jessa and Ben not kissing and all the rules they live by we turn around and snark about them posting a picture of them kissing on their instagram. I can probably pull up 10,000 other instagrams with similar pics. Some of them from mainstream young married couples. JB and chelle kissing always creeps me out, but this picture was to defend their child and I can't find fault with any parent standing up for their child.

There is plenty to find fault with the Duggars, Seewalds, and Dillards without having to tear them apart when they do something "normal"

I agree with you, it was posted in defense of their daughter. Here's a quote from them about it:

“God designed marriage to be a loving, dynamic relationship between a husband and wife for a lifetime,†the Duggar parents wrote on the family’s official website. “God loves marriage and it is supposed to be full of love, joy, fun and romance. Marriage is where romance belongs! Recently, Ben & Jessa received some criticism for posting a kissing picture. We are so grateful they waited to share their first kiss until after marriage. We’ve been married 30 years and are still in love! We had fun trying to duplicate Ben and Jessa’s happily married kissing picture.â€

Eta: I do agree there were better ways they could have addressed it, but it's the Duggars we are talking about. They've gotta add a famewhore slant to everything they do which means posting a pic of themselves knowin it will get tons of attention.

I don't think there's anything WRONG with posting photos like that, I just see it as a kind of immature "ha ha, and you think we're prudes" in-your-face message. It's just kind of silly and teenager-ish and IMO Jessa has really inherited the "Duggars always have something to prove" gene from mom and dad. The Duggars always talk about sex because they want to show how much they LOOOOVE their Jesus-supervised, married-people-only, p-in-v intercourse. It's always a "look how happy we are because we did things right! now let us tell you what happens when you do things wrong!" sermon hidden in photos, anecdotes and talking heads. And of course, the Duggars are always the shining example of doing everything right.

I'm glad there's an absence of Jill and Derick post-sex makeout photos so far. Then again, they actually seem to like each other, and Jill doesn't roll her eyes at every other thing Derick says, so they probably don't have to convince people they're in love quite as hard as Ben and Jessa...

I'm sorry, but the pic of JB and Michelle kissing was an FU moment, and honestly, it was gross. It was just, well, blech.

I got no problems with people making out - I really don't. My husband and I are in are 40s and 50s. We kiss.

We don't post it on the internets, because our kids (my step-kids) would probably need to go pour bleach in their eyes.

I'm sorry, but some shit should be personal. Quite honestly, I don't want to see 20 year olds making out on Instagram either.

Get over yourselves. You got married. Yous saved your first kiss for your wedding day. Big effing deal.

I consider a successful marriage as one who makes it through the years, though the good and the bad, and throughout, the couple still genuinely likes one another. I don't see this happening with Benessa. Lust, yup. Their picture proves it. But like, well, I just don't see it.

My husband and I have been through the ringer - unemployment, caring for elderly parents, dealing with multiple life threatening illnesses, his ex from hell, and you know what, he is still my best friend, and the guy who makes me laugh every day. THIS is what makes a strong marriage. Not waiting until your wedding day to kiss, or sucking face on Instagram.

Snark is not just about behavior though. Lots of people tend to get defensive or hand-slappy when they perceive the Duggars or other fundie families are being criticized for "normal" or "common" behavior, but the Duggars have always made it clear that they "do things differently than most families". Therefore people do like to point out when they are doing things that don't fit their stated beliefs or are outright hypocritical.

I think there are 2 factors at work with J&B's kissing photo. First off, something that has always been an issue with the parents...MODESTY. They have said and done some unusual, bizarre, and OTT things re: their supposed modesty beliefs. Michelle's concern over showing "mama skin" when she was holding premie Josie. Blurring out her knees with giant censor bars when she tried waterskiing. The giant breastfeeding cape and wholesomewear swimsuits. All the extensive courtship rules. Then JB&M are constantly kissing each other in public, talking about sex (even their children's sex lives) when it is inappropriate, and deliberately drawing attention to themselves with the matchy-matchy "modest" outfits and fame-whoring behavior. Now we have Jessa and Ben, famous for their super-modest no-touch courtship, no hug engagement, no public kiss wedding, posting fairly sexual make-out photos on social media just days after the wedding. JB&M claim that all of this is now TOTALLY FINE because MARRIED LIFE! But being married doesn't make that type of behavior any more modest than it would be if they were just godless heathens who were dating.

Second factor, the is-Jessa-being-a-rebel debate. While I could do without a close look at anyone's make-out photos, I was kind of amused to see her post it. I sincerely hope their parents were furious to see that on IG, because as annoying as I find Jessa and Ben, I can't stand JB&M so much more. They have been in pure damage-control mode since then, as evidenced by the kiss re-creation photos from Josh & Anna and JB&M. They're more defensive than they were even over those pics of John David posing with guns, and those were probably worse. I find the reactions to the picture from the Duggar camp to be way more entertaining than the pictures themselves.

I think the problem most of us having is with the hypocrisy of their "modesty" - showing off pictures of yourself kissing, no matter how little/long you've been married, is NOT modest. On the other hand, many of us around here were really impressed that Jessa and Bin found a way for their first kiss at the wedding to be private and actually modest, and there was some very un-snarky complimenting of her dress and the whole wedding. We can be nice too sometimes!

I find the hypocrisy amusing. As others have mentioned, they go to great lengths to 'keep pure thoughts'. They use nike to make sure the boys don't see any women dressed immodestly and they control their internet access so they can't see anything inappropriate. They can't even go to the beach! All this so they don't have any sexual thoughts. But the first thing Jessa and Ben do when they get married is post a make out photo in non-modest clothes. If their views on things have changed/are different from their parents, fine, but until they want to come out and say it, I'm just going to see them as incredibly hypocritical.

I find it interesting and squicky that they copied Benessa and sent it to them (didn't post it elsewhere) and SHE turned around and put it out there...THEN the "official" posts of it came, after it took some heat itself, and they spun it to be about married people kissing. Had Jessa never posted it... I doubt we would have ever seen it.

I find it interesting and squicky that they copied Benessa and sent it to them (didn't post it elsewhere) and SHE turned around and put it out there...THEN the "official" posts of it came, after it took some heat itself, and they spun it to be about married people kissing. Had Jessa never posted it... I doubt we would have ever seen it.

Attention seeking behavior.

another bonus scene

jb challenges all the couples at the last supper to a contest of eating the desert

JB and Michelle win and ben and Jesssa come in second

and something about ben's personal trainer - which I didn't get :D

Bonus scene

at the chapel - ben and his dad bond

Ben's dad encourages him to be a man when he was young -

appreciates everything he taught him

takes the ring out of the box based on what his dad says

unlike Mrs. Dillard :D

I'm assuming this is a two part episode if Priscilla's gender reveal isn't until next week

WTF sort of look did Anna give Josh when he told her the RV was busted...just really, really weird.

I know it's aired several times prior to Jill's wedding, but maybe it's taken seeing Jill's wedding several times, plus the convo here, then the uproar over Ben/Jessa's kissing pic for it to strike me...

But first, JimBob actually was the one who did the "Josh, you may kiss your bride" for Josh and Anna also.

It wasn't new with Jill and Derick in the Duggar Fam. In fact, not only did Jim Bob say it, but both of the Kellers were standing right up there on stage also! :o They must have done something prior (maybe the parents praying over the kids) but it was all spliced toward the end with Josh's song and honeymoon photos, and the parents during the wedding since it was filmed so far out (plus unlike now it wasn't nearly as sought after info wise - it not being a Duggar daughter, and it being 6 years later also) I don't even recall if you could see where Michelle was.

There has been so much discussion on FJ about JB saying that and his obsession with them kissing, and I don't recall seeing anyone mentioning him doing it with Josh and Anna, let alone the other parents also being up there.

I think Anna is pregnant in the TH

Me too. And they had "Anna decided to stop and get a pregnancy test..." in the promo.

I really don't think she's pregnant. This was filmed a few months ago and she hasn't looked pregnant since then. I will be very surprised if the test is positive. I bet that will be the cliffhanger ending of the episode, and we won't even find out till next week.

Archived