IGNORED

Lori Alexander is going to haaaaate this

Exactly my point. Sheila shares the vast majority of Lorken's beliefs. She's just nice about it. So they're so egotistical that they can't just let a couple of nuances go.

Their attitude makes me wonder if their deep-down beliefs are actually quite different.

On paper, yes, they are both conservative but not totally fundie Christians (eg. jeans, not frumpers). They say that they both teach marriage advice, encourage women to have sex with their husbands, encourage moms in their parenting and teaching submission.

Dig deeper, though, and they seem quite different. While my religion is different, I find that I really relate to Sheila. Maybe it's the fact that she also lives in Ontario or that her husband is also a doctor, or the simple fact that she seems to be a decent person who honestly wants to give some practical tips that will actually help couples communicate better and have mutually enjoyable sex, and that she gives tips for raising children that don't involve pain.

Basically, some of the words that Lori uses are the same, but what she and Sheila mean by those words is very different.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that's what's called a red herring. It's the same sort of argument the church I grew up in used against wearing evil makeup. They'd always quote verses about women with poor virtues who'd wear it. Therefore, makeup MUST be evil.

From my interpretation, the Proverbs 31 woman had it going on. Not only did she rise early and take care of her household, she was out and about in the community (buying land, caring for her vineyard, helping the poor and selling her wares). In addition, she had employees who may have watched her children -- shocker! -- while she was out and about. She worked well into the nights as well. In fact, she seemed to be much more industrious than her husband! The sticking point to me is that although there's no doubt that the Proverbs 31 woman was a real worker bee, whatever she did, her husband LIKED IT and it really was no one's business but theirs. It wasn't up to her community to agree or not (something Lori should give thought to). Besides, who says a keeper at home must be chained there 24/7?

ETA that the home at that time and up to the Industrial Revolution was a place of production. ALL members of a family worked from home so to say that exact situation should apply to the modern day is really silly and shortsighted. Very few families can provide all of their needs working from home. To me, being a keeper at home means that my focus should be on my family and I can do that whether I work or stay at home (which I do). It's the focus that matters.

That's my interpretation too. She's described as the original superwoman - getting up before dawn, working late into the night, conducting business and providing for the family, giving to the needy and managing the household. I don't see a word to suggest that she did everything from home. She also had household help.

I believe that's what's called a red herring. It's the same sort of argument the church I grew up in used against wearing evil makeup. They'd always quote verses about women with poor virtues who'd wear it. Therefore, makeup MUST be evil.

From my interpretation, the Proverbs 31 woman had it going on. Not only did she rise early and take care of her household, she was out and about in the community (buying land, caring for her vineyard, helping the poor and selling her wares). In addition, she had employees who may have watched her children -- shocker! -- while she was out and about. She worked well into the nights as well. In fact, she seemed to be much more industrious than her husband! The sticking point to me is that although there's no doubt that the Proverbs 31 woman was a real worker bee, whatever she did, her husband LIKED IT and it really was no one's business but theirs. It wasn't up to her community to agree or not (something Lori should give thought to). Besides, who says a keeper at home must be chained there 24/7?

ETA that the home at that time and up to the Industrial Revolution was a place of production. ALL members of a family worked from home so to say that exact situation should apply to the modern day is really silly and shortsighted. Very few families can provide all of their needs working from home. To me, being a keeper at home means that my focus should be on my family and I can do that whether I work or stay at home (which I do). It's the focus that matters.

From some of Lori's postings, she seems to believe that. Sometime back she did a posting in which she said that the increase of two car households gave women more freedom and time to be away from home.

Someone can correct me on the original Greek, but it sounds like Lori interprets "keeper at home" to mean that a wife should literally keep (stay) at home as much as humanly possible.

The meaning of "keeper", though, seems to be "responsible for". For example, an innkeeper manages the inn, a zookeeper manages the animals in a zoo. So, if you are responsible for your home, you realize that you've got to make sure everyone has what they need, and sometimes this means going out to do what needs to be done, instead of pretending that you are under house arrest.

Someone can correct me on the original Greek, but it sounds like Lori interprets "keeper at home" to mean that a wife should literally keep (stay) at home as much as humanly possible.

The meaning of "keeper", though, seems to be "responsible for". For example, an innkeeper manages the inn, a zookeeper manages the animals in a zoo. So, if you are responsible for your home, you realize that you've got to make sure everyone has what they need, and sometimes this means going out to do what needs to be done, instead of pretending that you are under house arrest.

Yeah, the Internet tells me it essentially means taking care of household affairs.

Quoting from Biblia.com (Strong's Concordance):

"3626. οἰκουρός ŏikŏurŏs, oy-koo-ros´; from 3624 and οὖρος ŏurŏs (a guard; be “ware”); a stayer at home, i.e. domestically inclined (a “good house-keeper”):—keeper at home.

3624. οἶκος ŏikŏs, oy´-kos; of uncert. affin.; a dwelling (more or less extensive, lit. or fig.); by impl. a family (more or less related, lit. or fig.):—home, house (-hold), temple. "

Again, at the time this was written, ALL families worked from home and ALL wives were keepers at home while the men probably worked the fields or took care of the livestock. That doesn't mean, imo, that wives can never leave the home. The Bible also talks of older women not being given to gossip or drinking too much. I think the point of the "keepers at home" admonition is to encourage wives to put family first no matter what else they do. They guard their families and look out for them. They're not running around gossiping and neglecting their children, etc. It's common sense stuff that doesn't turn the wife into a literal hausfrau where she's married more to the house than she is to her man.

Again, at the time this was written, ALL families worked from home and ALL wives were keepers at home while the men probably worked the fields or took care of the livestock. That doesn't mean, imo, that wives can never leave the home. The Bible also talks of older women being gossips or drinking too much. I think the point of the "keepers at home" admonition is to encourage wives to put family first no matter what else they do. They guard their families and look out for them. They're not running around gossiping and neglecting their children, etc. It's common sense stuff that doesn't turn the wife into a literal hausfrau where she's married more to the house than she is to her man.

I wonder how Lori deals with the red. She's always gossiping about people on the Internet by using their comments to inspire blog posts about what not to do. I also suspect she is a terrible gossip in real life.

Worse, probably, that all us gossipy hens here on FJ!

Correction: all racheldaisy comments gone. Poor Rachel :(

I know, it sucks. Rachel will probably stop commenting if Lori keeps ignoring the very real issues that she is facing. But no-- Lori would just rather keep up her delusion that people take her seriously and fight to maintain that by removing anything that is an "exception."

I wonder how Lori deals with the red. She's always gossiping about people on the Internet by using their comments to inspire blog posts about what not to do. I also suspect she is a terrible gossip in real life.

Worse, probably, that all us gossipy hens here on FJ!

Agreed. I'm really curious how the people in her church and especially those she has mentored IRL really feel about her! Also, it's one thing to have a blog where readers choose to read ... or not. It's quite another to visit someone's blog, completely unsolicited, and criticize their choices. What she did on Kelly's blog was totally uncalled for. I imagine Lori feels she's glorifying God, but that is doing anything BUT.

On Lori's personal FB, she has a picture of EMily and Steven with the caption "Yep! Still very happily married at [couple's] wedding!"

Umm, kay? Was there any doubt?

On Lori's personal FB, she has a picture of EMily and Steven with the caption "Yep! Still very happily married at [couple's] wedding!"

Umm, kay? Was there any doubt?

Well, yeah. That shameless hussy is apparently planning on working, which is against Lori's expressed wishes. I can only imagine how much trouble she's tried to stir up so far.

She's got to be a queen bitch of a mother-in-law.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Are you banned for this most recent exception?

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
If you're referring to me, then yep. My IP is indeed banned because I did try a couple aliases.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
If you're referring to me, then yep. My IP is indeed banned because I did try a couple aliases.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I was asking about Firiel (RachelDaisy) this time. I know she's been banned a couple of times but manages to sneak through on various devices.

Well, yeah. That shameless hussy is apparently planning on working, which is against Lori's expressed wishes. I can only imagine how much trouble she's tried to stir up so far.

She's got to be a queen bitch of a mother-in-law.

We'll never know for sure though. A simply question about her DIL's occupation is a giant RED HERRING :P

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I was asking about Firiel (RachelDaisy) this time. I know she's been banned a couple of times but manages to sneak through on various devices.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I don't know-- I haven't tested to see. I'll probably post a leg-humping comment tomorrow to regain favor (assuming I'm not banned). I'm just annoyed that Lori wouldn't come out and play. Wah. :(

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I don't know-- I haven't tested to see. I'll probably post a leg-humping comment tomorrow to regain favor (assuming I'm not banned). I'm just annoyed that Lori wouldn't come out and play. Wah. :(

BTW, I had a lot of time on my hands yesterday during the car ride home from vacation and I highlighted all the sections of CTBHHM I plan to send to Lori. I'm very curious to see if she'll respond.

What the actual eff is this?

Hmmm. . .let's break it down. . . .

A prostitute would be away from her home and family, giving to someone something that does not belong to them, sometimes for a fee.

I think this is VERY difficult to wrap our minds around because we are all wretched sinners. We hate to admit (some of us refuse) that our time and attentions (and physical space) are kept by things and people they do not belong to.

But the reality is, we give it away, countless hours a day, days a week, weeks a month. . . .what is not ours to give. We GO where HE has not told us to go. We MOVE when we are not told to move. We STAY where HE has not told us to stay.

What we Christians have is freewill, within a narrow path. What we take, is often a much wider path than we are called to, which results in so many of us being outside of His WILL for our lives.

I am as guilty of this as the next, sister, so please don't feel as I'm pointing fingers. But just because we do it, that doesn't make it right. Praise Jesus for FORGIVENESS and GRACE when we stray . .

Comment from FREEINDEED

And then "lovingbeinghiswife" commented on a follow-up to Lori saying she didn't mean the prostitute thing how it came out. LBHW said something to the effect of "Yeah, I didn't think so, but I had to check" and Lori deleted it. Whhhhaaaat? Why?

ETA: I realize trying to follow Lori logic on comment deletion is a fruitless effort, but this deletion was really super weird.

Lori Alexander · 2 hours ago

Unfortunately, many are neglecting their children when they work. Children want and NEED their mothers. This is the way God created it to be. No one takes the place of a mother in a child's life, no one.

Except nannies sent from heaven! Amirite, Lori? /nudge nudge

Oh, we have a fabulous time, Lori and I, just being gals together!

LOLOLOLOL

Lori's comment:

Yes, Colleen, I NEEDED this pep talk! I have had to put comments on moderation because of all the accusations made against me and what I teach. I am teaching to Christian women who want to learn. Sure, unbelievers are welcomed here but they need to know I am teaching the Bible which is completely contrary to what society teaches. Unfortunately, many don't care. I always want women to compare what I teach to the Bible and research for themselves as you say. Thank you for your encouragement!

:angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :angry-banghead:

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I asked Lori what a single mother should do to stay home. This was her reply

The most unselfish thing she could do would be to give her child up for adoption to a godly man and wife. There are many infertile couples who would love to raise a child. She could also live with her mom and dad so her child could have a father figure in his/her life.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I asked Lori what a single mother should do to stay home. This was her reply

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Well, that's horrific.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Well, that's horrific.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I cannot BELIEVE she said a mother should give up her child rather than being a working mother. Like, I knew Lori was a fucking monster, but this takes it to new and HORRIFIC levels. OMG. I'll be over here trying to remove my jaw from the floor.

Archived