IGNORED

Jill Duggar Pregnant! CONFIRMED! MERGED

actuallyjessica

Possibly, but i know plenty of people that had an early U/S and did find out about the twins til later on....so it happens ;)

Totally agree, since my mom didn't know she was going to have twins until a few hours before they were born. Supposedly the heartbeats were always in sync at her appointments -- she had a regular male obgyn -- and she never had an u/s. It was very early 1990's. They were identical, so i guess the heartbeat thing was true. She said she suspected it because of random kicks but with all of us siblings distracting her already she just didn't ever put 2&2 together. :lol: The doctor said when she went into labor and got to the hospital that the baby either had a very large body and small head or it was twins, so they did an u/s. My parents were super freaked out until they heard the techs laughing. Not too impressive of an obgyn, imo. :roll:

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A woman I work with went in for an ultrasound and found out she was having twins. When she went back for her next ultrasound, she found out it was triplets.

If I were pregnant and my obgyn completely missed the fact that I was having twins, I'd question whether or not they went to medical school. I can imagine being freaked out! You're all prepared for one baby, not realizing you got a two for one deal.

If I were pregnant and my obgyn completely missed the fact that I was having twins, I'd question whether or not they went to medical school. I can imagine being freaked out! You're all prepared for one baby, not realizing you got a two for one deal.

My Grandma had twin boys now this was late 60's and when she went in she didn't know she was having twins. The doctor told her "I thought it might be twins but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to say anything" The funny thing is that years before in the early/mid fifty's her younger sister had also went into the hospital expecting one baby and came out with two boys and the even odder part was they were born on the same day only of course over a decade apart.

She has a midwife and just had a midwife appointment according to her 12 week belly pic. if she's seeing anyone else I'm not sure. I think a few things could happen if there was no kids for one of them. 1. They would adopt I know Jessa has said her and Ben want to adopt. 2. they would just say it's god's will that they didn't have any kids. some of them i think would feel bad. I'd think the girls Like Jana or maybe some of the boys well others would just take it as a sign. I don't see the Duggars going the IFV route but you never know one or more of them may just decide to do that if they face infertility issues.

I was really meaning a real obgyn or at least a CNM. I am not downing midwives, but it never hurts to have obgyn backup.

Well, technology in the 1990s is very different from today. Back in the 1990s I can imagine a town might get overlooked. But from what I understand, we have better tech today, so the odds of that happening on this decade are a helluva lot slimmer than they used to be.

It just happened to a friend of mine. I guess she wasn't having ultrasounds, was going the all-natural way with a midwife and a birthing center. The midwife and birthing center are 5 hours from our town, because there aren't those resources nearby and once you have to travel you might as well go with someone you really like and are comfortable with.

Anyway, she got to 7.5-8 months. The way I hear it she was having a massage, or maybe it was a checkup, not sure. Anyway, whoever was palpating her stomach said "I'm pretty sure you have two in there". Which triggered a bit of a panic because the birthing center is not permitted for twin births, which are considered high risk. She didn't want to go the hospital route and she wanted to keep using the same midwife, so began a frantic search for a suitable location to have the babies.

And one tidbit that I learned, twins don't normally gestate a full 9 months, I guess 8.5 months is more normal for them? So she was doing all this last-minute searching with a suddenly-shorter timeline as well. And of course at the same time scrambling for a second car seat, and all the extra/different supplies you would need with two instead of one.

Long story short, they're all fine and beautiful, the boys are about a month old now. As I hear the story, they simply holed up in a motel, with the midwife, the doula, I'm pretty sure a doctor on call, etc. Their community of friends and family have stepped up with donations for a double stroller, diapers by the mega-pack, etc.

Not in everyone's comfort zone, of course, but this is how it went for them.

I'm not sure her reasons for declining ultrasound, but I have to respect everyone's right to be as primitive as they prefer (I haven't had kids but I choose the primitive route in many other aspects of life). I do put a bit of responsibility on the birthing center, since if they aren't permitted for twins, you'd think they want to make sure their patients aren't carrying twins...

I am very sorry that happened to you. I truly hope you were able to get the support you needed and recover well.

I think it's fine to tell family/close friends whenever you feel comfortable. Some people prefer to grieve in private or like to have that time where the pregnancy is only known to the parents. For intimate relationships, it's really a personal comfort thing :) I'm a very private griever and a bit of a pessimist, so I can't imagine telling anyone besides the father (even my parents) until much later.

I think the difference here with Jill is that it's not JUST close friends. It's public. It's the world. It's like announcing it to co-workers x 10. If you miscarry, you now have to have a Jubilee-esque circus or else you didn't really love the baby. Again, the People announcement is like announcing a pregnancy to co-workers. If something goes wrong, that's probably not a quarter you're going to get a lot of SUPPORT from...but it is something you will have to deal with. It really, IMHO, would just add one more element to an already tough situation, which is why they recommend withholding the public announcement until later.

And? No seriously, I announced my pregnancies to my coworkers early. Do you think I only needed support when I wasn't at work when the inevitable miscarriage happened? You feel it is just one more thing to deal with, and I who have been through it over and over and over and over felt like it was one more area I didn't have to fucking talk to when the inevitable miscarriage happened.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to not announce, but why do you think you get to determine when someone should announce that is based wholly on your personality and the way you react? Do you understand people might actually be different than you?

I wonder if the idea of waiting to announce is partly age based? It seems, in my recent experience, that everyone under late 20s announces on social media. as soon as the stick is dry-- often with a picture of the stick. While everyone older waits until 12 weeks or so.

I think it might just be that most women under 28 ish grew up with constant social media and instant access/ announcement of every life event, so that's just normal to them.

Jill is different regarding social media access, but she has been on camera with the media watching every life change.

I am 37 and it was after going through a couple of miscarriages and pretending like everything was hunky dory that I decided fuck it I am telling everyone, every time. Because it felt right to me...and ultimately I was right on that decision because my next 80 billion miscarriages I remember thinking well at least I can just be real this time.

And? No seriously, I announced my pregnancies to my coworkers early. Do you think I only needed support when I wasn't at work when the inevitable miscarriage happened? You feel it is just one more thing to deal with, and I who have been through it over and over and over and over felt like it was one more area I didn't have to fucking talk to when the inevitable miscarriage happened.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to not announce, but why do you think you get to determine when someone should announce that is based wholly on your personality and the way you react? Do you understand people might actually be different than you?

Oh please. Did your co-workers give you $$$$ for the exclusive and the People Magazine front page? You should look into that next time. I hear it's quite supportive.

I was responding to the comment of how wrong it is to tell your coworkers. You know, in the post that I quoted to implied it was pretty much always wrong?

I was responding to the comment of how wrong it is to tell your coworkers. You know, in the post that I quoted to implied it was pretty much always wrong?

In the real world, most of the time it's unprofessional and awkward for everyone involved. That's why most people keep it private, unless they are so starved for attention they really want "support" from Jim in accounting about your miscarriage. Nobody at work needs to know you are five minutes pregnant unless you work at a nuclear power plant.

Or of course if your "job" is to expose your whole life on reality TV for $$$$ of course, and a miscarriage would be a storyline and end up on TV anyway.

In the real world, most of the time it's unprofessional and awkward for everyone involved. That's why most people keep it private, unless they are so starved for attention they really want "support" from Jim in accounting about your miscarriage. Nobody at work needs to know you are five minutes pregnant unless you work at a nuclear power plant.

Or of course if your "job" is to expose your whole life on reality TV for $$$$ of course, and a miscarriage would be a storyline and end up on TV anyway.

Yes, because telling coworkers means what I am looking to do is sit down with Jim in accounting and telling graphic story of a miscarriage. Why is it unprofessional and awkward at 8 weeks and totally acceptable at 20? And let me assure you it was way more fucking unprofessional and awkward when I had yet another miscarriage but had not told people at work yet getting called in to speak to HR because of my attendance issues.

I never made my pregnancy a discussion point and if people felt uncomfortable sad panda...the absolute horror of someone feeling uncomfortable because I chose something different.

This is really making me change my perspective on announcing... I don't think I'd want ANYBODY but my husband and doctor to know until it's safe. I just don't think I could take telling people if something happened. My mother lost a baby at about six months along and she, to this very day, grieves for that baby.

Yes, because telling coworkers means what I am looking to do is sit down with Jim in accounting and telling graphic story of a miscarriage. Why is it unprofessional and awkward at 8 weeks and totally acceptable at 20? And let me assure you it was way more fucking unprofessional and awkward when I had yet another miscarriage but had not told people at work yet getting called in to speak to HR because of my attendance issues.

I never made my pregnancy a discussion point and if people felt uncomfortable sad panda...the absolute horror of someone feeling uncomfortable because I chose something different.

Well, if your goal is to have the maximum number of indifferent people know about your miscarriage, might I suggest People Magazine next time? Or just tell my mom.

Never been pregnant but I'm really confused about why people are talking about their coworkers as "indifferent" and implied to be unsupportive. Every single job I've ever worked for any significant length of time, this was not the case and if something happened to your personally, your coworker might not drop everything (and who would expect them too?) but they might pick up one of your shifts, etc. This was the case even when I worked fast food. People are capable of being an appropriate amount of supportive.

Plus, it could really be good for a work environment. Most people don't smoke inside anymore but maybe Jim from accounting will walk a bit goddamn farther away from the door on his smoke break. I work in chemistry labs and if somebody is pregnant, even if they can still come in, people tend to know early so we don't wander down the hall with toxic-to-fetuses-chemical-X in hand.

As for Jill, at least her given reasons for revealing are consistent with her beliefs. I don't like her beliefs but we all snark on how Michelle doesn't acknowledge J'Caleb and here Jill is making it impossible for her to do the same and it's terrible? I at least prefer the consistency. Jill is also used to being in the public eye and if she wants to promote more honest conversatile about a topic that was wrongfully shameful (saying women miscarried cause they sinned, etc) not so long ago, then good.

I announced at 6 weeks and 9 weeks with my two girls, for the same reason as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, I had severe HG. I passed out in the school toilets with both pregnancies so told staff after I returned from hospital so they could keep a check on my classes/come find me if I had fainted again.

As it happens I was signed off during both pregnancies for periods of time so I could receive treatment for ketosis (and also AND which developed due to the HG).

And the above is why I am not having any more children!

I was really meaning a real obgyn or at least a CNM. I am not downing midwives, but it never hurts to have obgyn backup.

I use a CNM and they do a dating ultrasound vaginally at around 8 weeks. And when I went in with my son they definitely told me we'd find out if I had one baby or two, which really freaked me bout but thankfully it was just the one. I'm not sure what Jill is doing but if she has had any ultrasounds then I think chances are high that if it were twins it would be noticed. Also the 90s were possibly twenty years ago so ultrasound technology has changed so much.

The only way I can see the Duggars doing IVF is if they adopt one of those snowflake unwanted embryos.

It's fascinating seeing how different ante-natal care is in the States compared to here. Midwives are the usual form of delivery and ante-natal care if you have a low risk pregnancy. Even at high risk a doctor only becomes involved in an emergency, such as assisted delivery or c section. Although saying that my ventouse delivery was performed by a senior midwife so not in all emergency cases is a doctor there! Pregnancy and birth is very, very female led over here. My second daughter was born in a birthing centre instead of a hospital delivery suite (although was within the hospital if that makes sense) with a midwife only becoming involved to catch the baby and bring her up to the surface (water birth)

The only way I can see the Duggars doing IVF is if they adopt one of those snowflake unwanted embryos.

Oh please God let that never happen. It's bad enough they blanket-train, buddy up and forbid college to their own children, let them leave other people's alone!

Oh please God let that never happen. It's bad enough they blanket-train, buddy up and forbid college to their own children, let them leave other people's alone!

I would like to see them use ivf. They're against science and education unless it suits them.

I would like to see them use ivf. They're against science and education unless it suits them.

I'm somewhat surprised DQ and Boob haven't actually, I thought it was a standard procedure with older couples struggling to conceive. Might just be a case of not finding a doctor crazy enough to agree to it though!

I'm somewhat surprised DQ and Boob haven't actually, I thought it was a standard procedure with older couples struggling to conceive. Might just be a case of not finding a doctor crazy enough to agree to it though!

I think the problem is two-fold--low quality eggs and the fact that her uterus must be like tissue paper by now. It wouldn't do much good to implant a fetus if she can't carry it to a viable age.

If J'chelle did do IVF, they would NEVER tell anyone. But when they started getting TLC $$$$, Michelle was in her late 30s. I really don't think they did this, but it would have been possible to make a freezer full of babies (blastocysts medically) with her young-ish eggs, which could really improve odds later on and would be a decent way to game for sheer quantity. That thought had occurred to me with the last couple babies which she managed to pull off in her 40s.

It would be pretty hard to go through the whole protocol to implant them a bunch of times without anyone noticing. I know I'd be straight to FJ if I saw J'chelle at a fertility clinic. And it's not exactly "as many as God will allow" or whatever they say.

Archived