IGNORED

Now back to your regularly scheduled Alexanders...

Well, one reason Ken was happy and Lori was not when they were first married is that Ken may have been a complete ass on every level. We know how these fundies like to turn it around so it is always the woman's fault, no matter what. And Lori is, if she is as she self describes, a bitch on wheels. But while I've wondered what Ken might have been like had he married someone who actually liked him and was attracted to him, I wonder what Lori might have been like had she married a man who admired her and saw her as an equal.

I know it is Lori's ministry, but I'm sure it reflects Ken's seminary studies and his preferred dogma superimposed on the Bible.

As for the kids living like Mom and Dad.... the ones he pays to stay around may to a point, to keep the money coming in. The ones who strike out on their own may give them lip service when home, but choose their own course as they go. I hope none of Lorken's daughters or daughters in law end up pushed up against a wall or disciplined-- and if they do, I hope they call the cops pdq and end this shit.

So much about this post....love it. I've always wondered if, way back at the beginning of their marriage, Lori was "the victim," so to speak. She clearly states she didn't feel a real attraction to Ken but he still chose to marry her. He was never home. He made excuses for his horrible treatment of her - like playing basketball several nights a week when he was not traveling. He didn't help with the kids. He's a know-it-all. We've seen how he doubles down on his opinions and behaviors. I just wonder if Lori kept asking him to do things differently and he put it all back on her. Even now, when he touts how wonderful their marriage is with Lori being submissive, he has never once commented on what he could have done to make their marriage better.

Having said all that, I certainly don't give Lori a pass on the way she treats other women. A bad experience early in life doesn't excuse bad behavior later in life. But I really do see why she is bitter about Ken and, frankly, has nothing but disdain for him.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a family member that reminds me of Lori. She married an emotionally unavailable man and had a gaggle of kids with him. Now the kids have grown and flown and he is still emotionally distant and yet demanding. She went from being a fairly cool young woman to an incredibly bitter and negative older woman. But still they are together because she doesn't want to have to find a job at age 60, after being a homemaker for over 40 years. The only job she has ever had was as a teenager.

I guess I can understand it, but it seems crazy to waste away the ONE life you get with someone you destest, just because it's easier. The one real lesson older woman Lori can teach younger women should be this: REALLY really know a person before you marry them.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2014/08/my-grandma-refused-to-vaccinate-her.html

Good Morning America reported that there is a measles outbreak. They said 95% of those getting measles were not vaccinated. {This was on the news several months ago when I wrote this post. Apparently it wasn't that big of a deal since it wasn't on the news for long. Another example of how the media greatly exaggerates things.}

Because the length of time something in the news is directly proportional to how important it is.

Dr. Mercola wrote about the dangers of the measles vaccination

To quote Penn Jillette, "And then there's THIS asshole . . ."

My grandmother had seven children. She was born in the very early 1900s way before any studies on vaccinations had been done. She birthed all of her children in her home and didn't vaccinate any of them. She didn't want to put that "poison" into their bodies as she put it. She raised them on a lot of fruits and vegetables, meat, dairy, and eggs. She always had a large garden. Only one of the seven got cancer and that was the oldest son. He smoked and got lung cancer. All five daughters are in their 80s and early 90s and have done amazingly good health wise.

Growing up in the 1950's, my mom's cousin got polio. It was the reason my mom decided, at 8-years-old, to become a physical therapist for special needs children when she grew up. My dad got the chicken pox, measles, and rubella in the same year. Luckily he had no permanent complications, but he was going to be held back a grade because he missed more than the maximum allowable number of days of school. My grandmother had to convince the school that he could make up the work in time to advance to the next grade. My dad told me he would have nightmares about kids in iron lungs, and there were nights when he was so intensely worried about getting polio that he couldn't sleep. Between the illnesses themselves and the fear around getting them, why would anybody want to go back to that time?

For a counter-point, here is a link to an article on slate written by a woman who grew up in the kind of vaccine-free, alternative medicine, organic food lifestyle that Lori advocates. She ended up getting nearly every vaccine-preventable illness. She doesn't know anyone who suffered permanent effects from vaccines, but knows plenty of people who suffer from permanent complications of those illnesses.

slate.com/articles/life/family/2014/01/growing_up_unvaccinated_a_healthy_lifestyle_couldn_t_prevent_many_childhood.html

Attention Lori: your grandmother didn't vaccinate any of her children because there were few, if any, vaccines available back then. My mother--who would be contemporary with yours and who was born in the living room of her parents' home--was never vaccinated for anything but smallpox, and that not until she was an adult in the 1950s. But I can guarantee you this--if vaccines for polio, measles, mumps, rubella, etc, were available when her kids were young, my grandma would have had them lined up at the doctor's office, sleeves rolled up, arms at the ready. She saw what polio could do to people, she would NEVER have been stupid enough to refuse to vaccinate her kids if she'd had the chance.

The utter, willful ignorance of this woman is astounding. :?

If I had to place a bet, I would guess that Lori's children were all vaccinated. Of course they got chicken pox, because the chicken pox vaccine wasn't available at that time.

Whenever I read an anti-vaccination screed, I wish that I had a time machine to send the person back to the 1950s polio epidemic, so they can understand how truly frightening and horrible it was to experience. The polio vaccine was a miracle to panicked parents and saved many lives.

The chicken pox vaccine came out just as all my kids' little friends were coming down with chicken pox. I talked to my doctor and he suggested we skip the vaccine because it was so new. So both of my kids did have a moderate case. But if I were raising young children today, I'd have them vaccinated for that disease just like I had them vaccinated for everything else.

I was the only one of my mother's four kids to receive the mumps vaccine. It came out after my three siblings were infected, but before I got them. So off I was dragged to the doctor for that shot. My mom says the three older kids were absolutely miserable and it was horrible for her to see them that way. Yes, kids recover from those diseases (usually) but they are so miserable while they are ill, I can't imagine NOT preventing that.

What I find most offensive about Lori's post is that she couldn't be bothered to link to any studies. Her whole "I couldn't find a study for that...." just doesn't fly with me. If you are going to talk about such an important issue, take the time to be a responsible writer and cite your sources.

Your grandmother who was born before WWI, doesn't count as a source when we're talking about 21st century medicine.

The chicken pox vaccine came out just as all my kids' little friends were coming down with chicken pox. I talked to my doctor and he suggested we skip the vaccine because it was so new. So both of my kids did have a moderate case. But if I were raising young children today, I'd have them vaccinated for that disease just like I had them vaccinated for everything else.

I was the only one of my mother's four kids to receive the mumps vaccine. It came out after my three siblings were infected, but before I got them. So off I was dragged to the doctor for that shot. My mom says the three older kids were absolutely miserable and it was horrible for her to see them that way. Yes, kids recover from those diseases (usually) but they are so miserable while they are ill, I can't imagine NOT preventing that.

What I find most offensive about Lori's post is that she couldn't be bothered to link to any studies. Her whole "I couldn't find a study for that...." just doesn't fly with me. If you are going to talk about such an important issue, take the time to be a responsible writer and cite your sources.

Your grandmother who was born before WWI, doesn't count as a source when we're talking about 21st century medicine.

Re bolded: exactly :lol:

My sister has already suffered one round of shingles due to having chicken pox as a little kid. And the shingle episode was when she was barely out of her teens. I'm afraid for what she might go through later.

My sister has already suffered one round of shingles due to having chicken pox as a little kid. And the shingle episode was when she was barely out of her teens. I'm afraid for what she might go through later.

Your poor sister. I've heard shingles are one of the most painful things to endure.

I noticed Lori conveniently left out the risk of shingles once that chicken pox virus is in your body. Of course she probably has no idea what shingles are. She'd probably answer that with "Shingles? What does my roof have to do with this?" :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

She needs to talk to her doctor about the shingles vaccine.

I got the chickenpox as a child. A very, very bad case of it as well. However, this was the early 90s and the vaccine was not known then. My little sister caught it as well, from me.

Said this story before, so will keep it brief, but my grandmother caught a mumps-like virus while pregnant and as a result gave her unborn fetus a fatal heart condition that caused her to die suddenly just before she turned four months old.

And as said, I was formula fed as a infant and received all my vaccines on time. As a child, I was rarely sick. The only vaccine I never got was HPV and did plan on getting it, but after review, my doctors told me to not get it. I don't remember the exact reason why, but I know there was a health concern as to why. Now I am too old to get it regardless. I just hope that I won't get the condition and unless same health issue is still an issue in my own children, they will be receiving the HPV vax once old enough.

And the magical reason as to why no one I knew growing up ever had measles, mumps, rubella, polio, tetanus, diphtheria or pertussis growing up? Despite the very, very high rates of vaccination in my state and high poverty rates, cleaner water and living conditions was the obvious reason, right? Despite that some people didn't have indoor plumbing and some children didn't get baths for most of the winter as a result, cleanliness was the reason. Not vaccines, nope. :roll:

Also, has Lori ever addressed breastfeeding vs formula feeding? She apparently knows all when it comes to raising perfect children, so I wonder why she's not addressed this issue. Surely she has one side to bash enlighten like she does all other issues out there, no?

I got the chickenpox as a child. A very, very bad case of it as well. However, this was the early 90s and the vaccine was not known then. My little sister caught it as well, from me.

Said this story before, so will keep it brief, but my grandmother caught a mumps-like virus while pregnant and as a result gave her unborn fetus a fatal heart condition that caused her to die suddenly just before she turned four months old.

And as said, I was formula fed as a infant and received all my vaccines on time. As a child, I was rarely sick. The only vaccine I never got was HPV and did plan on getting it, but after review, my doctors told me to not get it. I don't remember the exact reason why, but I know there was a health concern as to why. Now I am too old to get it regardless. I just hope that I won't get the condition and unless same health issue is still an issue in my own children, they will be receiving the HPV vax once old enough.

And the magical reason as to why no one I knew growing up ever had measles, mumps, rubella, polio, tetanus, diphtheria or pertussis growing up? Despite the very, very high rates of vaccination in my state and high poverty rates, cleaner water and living conditions was the obvious reason, right? Despite that some people didn't have indoor plumbing and some children didn't get baths for most of the winter as a result, cleanliness was the reason. Not vaccines, nope. :roll:

Also, has Lori ever addressed breastfeeding vs formula feeding? She apparently knows all when it comes to raising perfect children, so I wonder why she's not addressed this issue. Surely she has one side to bash enlighten like she does all other issues out there, no?

I would be extremely surprised to find that Lori had breastfed. For one thing, breastfeeding requires you to interact closely with your baby. You can't just chuck him or her at the nanny and sleep through the night. But for another, breastfeeding involves using your husband's fun bags for something other than his pleasure, and we can't be having that!

I actually think she did breastfeed--she talks about 'flicking' her babies in the cheek when they bit her... :cry:

Her saying her grandmother, born over a hundred years ago didn't give her children vaccines and that's why they are healthy is the equivilant of my saying I didn't give my children ( now mid twenties to early thirties) iPhones or tablets, and that's why they had much better imaginations than children nowdayds :roll:

I learned quickly with my oldest the keep my pinkie close to her mouth to stick it in just far Enoch to keep her from chomping down hard. But I wasn't trying to "discipline" her, I was just determined to breastfeed for longer than four months (when she first started to get teeth).

Vaccines - well. My middle daughter is fully vaccinated for DPT, and is just getting over the lingering cough from a case of pertussis...that she picked up from a fully-vaccinated population. Her doctor said she's been hearing more and more stories like this.

I had mumps at the age of 4. That pain was one of my first memories. My neck hurt so bad that if I tried to turn it even a tiny bite, it felt like it would crack off my head. I was so miserable, I remember that pain very clearly 30+ years later.

I just can't imagine not trying to prevent that. My sister and grandmother also caught it at the same time, and they were just as sick.

My two oldest children also didn't receive the vaccine because their doctor advised me that it wasn't proven effective (this was the mid 90s). When the younger of the two was in kindergarten, the entire kindergarten (and I do mean the ENTIRE kindergarten at that school -- all six classes PLUS all older and younger siblings) came down with chickenpox! It was awful. Both my children missed a week of school (they had bad cases). Then again, many other children at the school did as well. Thankfully, it was near Christmas Break.

My youngest child is seven years younger than my middle child and by that time, doctors were singing a different tune. She was vaccinated.

I do have an older sister who suffers from shingles from time to time. It's extremely painful and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I had a severe case of chickenpox as a child and I've heard that the more severe the case, the less likely one can come down with shingles. I don't know if that's true or not, however, I have my fingers crossed.

Interesting idea, I wonder if it's true? My middle daughter (the same one who contracted whooping cough in June) was exposed to chicken pox as a newborn, when my older daughter had it. Middle child never came down ill, and I assumed it was because I was exclusively breastfeeding, and she was getting antibodies from me that way.

Anyhoo, she broke out in shingles as a toddler. It was crazy! I'd never heard of a toddler with shingles. Apparently she had just enough exposure to the varicella virus that it attached itself to her nerve endings (that's where it lies dormant, right?), but mot enough to actually make her sick.

I learned quickly with my oldest the keep my pinkie close to her mouth to stick it in just far Enoch to keep her from chomping down hard. But I wasn't trying to "discipline" her, I was just determined to breastfeed for longer than four months (when she first started to get teeth).

Vaccines - well. My middle daughter is fully vaccinated for DPT, and is just getting over the lingering cough from a case of pertussis...that she picked up from a fully-vaccinated population. Her doctor said she's been hearing more and more stories like this.

That type of story scares me. MMR doesn't work for me, and I don't need to be coming down with any of them. :/

My mom always did the knuckle-to-break-the-latch thing and said it worked really well on us. I just put my kids down if they chomped. There seem to be lots of ways to stop the chewing-on-mom's-nipple thing without hurting your kids, but Lori enjoys inflicting pain, so she won't try them.

I believe the Tdap/Dtap vaccine had recently had a formula change and it didn't seem to be as effective. I do know that my state only allows medical exemptions for children entering school and well, I can't say I have heard of any outbreaks to date. So, I don't know. For some people, the vaccines don't take, which is why herd immunity is important.

Re WWII: In Germany back then, Hitler was all about "Kinder, Kuche, Kirche"--"children, kitchen, church"--for women. Lori would have felt right at home.

Today in Lori-land...

"It's a good idea to micro-manage your children's courtships because I saw the Duggars do it. But we didn't micro-manage. And come to think of it, we probably wouldn't if we could do it again."

What for a normal person would be a fleeting thought/consideration turns into a blog post that is teaching younger for Jesus with Lori.

Can I jump back to the vaccination post? Lori's disclaimer at the end really gets me:

***I realize a lot of you vaccinate your children. It is your choice to do so but allow those who choose not to vaccinate to do so without condemning or judging them. I tend to go against the flow with much of what society does, as you have noticed. I want to thoroughly research EVERYTHING before jumping headlong with what "everyone else is doing."

She's basically telling her readers "if you vaccinate, FINE! But don't criticize others for choosing not to. Just allow me to criticize you for your choice." Also, she "thoroughly researches EVERYTHING before jumping headlong...." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh. Okaaaay.

She's deleted some comments that I found interesting. Dang it! Why didn't I grab those?!? Anyway, a reader asks why her comment was deleted and Lori responds with "I don't know what your comment said, but I delete comments that make it sound like you are criticizing mothers who don't vaccinate." I'm paraphrasing but I know she wrote "I don't know what your comment said." Then the reader comments (paraphrased) "You deleted another one! I had no idea this blog was so censored. I'm sorry for causing you extra work. God Bless!"

Did anyone else see those?

I just love how she won't allow criticism....while she's criticizing others. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Just what would a hypocrite smiley look like anyway? :think: :think:

Just what would a hypocrite smiley look like anyway? :think: :think:

It would just be a miniature headshot of Lori.

A Mormon commented on Lori's latest post!

I think the Duggars are wonderful and what they do works for them. But yes, I think in this situation they are over the top. My parents weren't closely involved in my relationship before I was married, and we still remained completely pure, because we were both committed to purity! To be married in an LDS Temple there are strict rules of purity and worthiness, and that had been a goal of mine (and my husband's) our entire lives! There was nothing that would have deterred us from that. We met with our bishop (church leader) throughout our engagement to make sure we were staying on track. I do think the Duggar children would stay pure as well, even without the supervision. I think if you are truly committed to being pure, you will do so on your own without someone constantly watching. :)

Lori responded and didn't just delete it. Do you think she knows what the LDS church even is? Why is she saying anything positive about the evil Mormon church that is luring people away from true Christianity?

Does Lori have an official stance on Mormonism?

Archived