IGNORED

Now back to your regularly scheduled Alexanders...

Interesting idea, I wonder if it's true? My middle daughter (the same one who contracted whooping cough in June) was exposed to chicken pox as a newborn, when my older daughter had it. Middle child never came down ill, and I assumed it was because I was exclusively breastfeeding, and she was getting antibodies from me that way.

Anyhoo, she broke out in shingles as a toddler. It was crazy! I'd never heard of a toddler with shingles. Apparently she had just enough exposure to the varicella virus that it attached itself to her nerve endings (that's where it lies dormant, right?), but mot enough to actually make her sick.

Children who get chickenpox as young infants generally do get mild often asymptomatic cases but because they don't mount a good immune response of their own (due to maternal antibody) often are at a high risk of reactivation (shingles) as children so you're right, that's probably what happened to your middle child.

I wonder if Ebola hits Lori's neighborhood and we develop a vaccine, if she'll still be as against vaccination then? Personally I'm guessing she'll be pushing others out of the way to get to the front of the line.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I'd posted this, but don't see it. Sorry if it is a repost.

Lori is more or less my age. That means, her grandparents didn't likely have much option to choose to vaccinate or not--many of the vaccinations available when Lori and i were kids, so if her grandmother vaccinated or not means little. (and, we hear only about one grandmother-- not both?)

I am willing to bet that Lori's physician father and stay at home mother did what my parents did and took me for my Polio vaccine via sugar cube the moment it was available in their neighborhood. I was a preschooler and remember the line of people getting their polio vaccine. I was fortunate not to know anyone my exact age who had it, but my husband's cousin was severely handicapped and likely died young because of polio, and I knew several other people with lesser disabilities because of polio.

Would Lori suggest that her grandmother or her father would have said "No, we don't trust Salk-- we'll just get an Iron Lung if we need one."

My parents got us the whole list that was available as kids, as far as I know. Because they knew families whose kids vision was ruined by measles, of mothers whose babies had disabilities form the mother being exposed to rubella, about kids who had and died of whooping cough. I don't know if they knew people who had suffered with smallpox (more likely something my grandparents might have seen) but we got that too...

Does Lori's discussion of her physician father often come across as negative? He made her get a degree "just in case"? Didn't Ken say Lori's parent fought (even though lori occasionally writes about what a wonderful sahw dear old mom was?) I wonder if these anti medicine things are a way to flip off her father? Or, is this just another bandwagon this silly woman has jumped on, and thus she prattles on about it at regular periods?

Lori could have had my case of the mumps (which I got as an adult due to a missed booster apparently). She could have "ice dipped" her head for the pain :roll:

I've told this story before, so I won't do it again, but mumps suck A LOT. I would certainly never wish them on a child. I only wish them on Lori because she needs a dose of reality for all the dangerous stuff she tells OTHER people to do.

I thought I'd posted this, but don't see it. Sorry if it is a repost.

Lori is more or less my age. That means, her grandparents didn't likely have much option to choose to vaccinate or not--many of the vaccinations available when Lori and i were kids, so if her grandmother vaccinated or not means little. (and, we hear only about one grandmother-- not both?)

I am willing to bet that Lori's physician father and stay at home mother did what my parents did and took me for my Polio vaccine via sugar cube the moment it was available in their neighborhood. I was a preschooler and remember the line of people getting their polio vaccine. I was fortunate not to know anyone my exact age who had it, but my husband's cousin was severely handicapped and likely died young because of polio, and I knew several other people with lesser disabilities because of polio.

Would Lori suggest that her grandmother or her father would have said "No, we don't trust Salk-- we'll just get an Iron Lung if we need one."

My parents got us the whole list that was available as kids, as far as I know. Because they knew families whose kids vision was ruined by measles, of mothers whose babies had disabilities form the mother being exposed to rubella, about kids who had and died of whooping cough. I don't know if they knew people who had suffered with smallpox (more likely something my grandparents might have seen) but we got that too...

Does Lori's discussion of her physician father often come across as negative? He made her get a degree "just in case"? Didn't Ken say Lori's parent fought (even though lori occasionally writes about what a wonderful sahw dear old mom was?) I wonder if these anti medicine things are a way to flip off her father? Or, is this just another bandwagon this silly woman has jumped on, and thus she prattles on about it at regular periods?

Well, we all know Lori goes on her little rants without giving any thought to those who might take offense. I really doubt offending her own father would be much of an issue for her.

I bet Lori's grandmother refused to microwave any of her kids' food too. Because of all that radiation, ya know. :lol:

A Mormon commented on Lori's latest post!

Lori responded and didn't just delete it. Do you think she knows what the LDS church even is? Why is she saying anything positive about the evil Mormon church that is luring people away from true Christianity?

Does Lori have an official stance on Mormonism?

Lori has talked about the Mormon church in the past, but I don't think she knows that much about Mormonism. I'm still learning about Mormonism and Mormon subcultures and I'll say that there are many Mormon women that are very likable compared to Lori and Mullet Duggar. Lori praised the LDS church last year in a comment related to a blog entry about churches taking care of widows and she also praised Mitt Romney in 2012. Around the time of the election, some Evangelicals and fundies were against Romney and they called Mormonism a cult. I remember ZsuZsu did a posting on it and PP bashed Mormons in a sermon. ZsuZsu and PP at least seem to read in depth about certain subjects. I can't see Lori doing that, but I wonder if Ken who has Masters of Divinity degree has read up on Mormonism.

I bet Lori's grandmother refused to microwave any of her kids' food too. Because of all that radiation, ya know. :lol:

No doubt she also limited their time on the iPad.

:D

Lori has talked about the Mormon church in the past, but I don't think she knows that much about Mormonism. I'm still learning about Mormonism and Mormon subcultures and I'll say that there are many Mormon women that are very likable compared to Lori and Mullet Duggar. Lori praised the LDS church last year in a comment related to a blog entry about churches taking care of widows and she also praised Mitt Romney in 2012. Around the time of the election, some Evangelicals and fundies were against Romney and they called Mormonism a cult. I remember ZsuZsu did a posting on it and PP bashed Mormons in a sermon. ZsuZsu and PP at least seem to read in depth about certain subjects. I can't see Lori doing that, but I wonder if Ken who has Masters of Divinity degree has read up on Mormonism.

Oh, I totally agree! I just know that being raised Evangelical in an area with a large LDS population, I was always raised to see it as a cult. I'm just shocked that there is a group of people that Lori could hate that she doesn't. IMO, Mormon doctrine deviates from traditionally understood Christianity far more than mutual submission does.

Oh, I totally agree! I just know that being raised Evangelical in an area with a large LDS population, I was always raised to see it as a cult. I'm just shocked that there is a group of people that Lori could hate that she doesn't. IMO, Mormon doctrine deviates from traditionally understood Christianity far more than mutual submission does.

I think maybe if she learned more about Mormonism and how many Mormons live, she might hate them. Many people tend to label the LDS church as a cult because of the secrecy and the fact that the new converts don't get the full skinny until they are baptized and go through other processes in the church. Also there are published stories of ex-Mormons being harassed by church officials after they leave the church.

I have noticed that many Mormons do value women getting college or trade educations, and having backup plans, in case their husbands die or are unable to work. That is why I find many Mormon women to be more likable and practical than Lori. Lori has done several blog postings bashing women attending college or working outside the home. But she will backtrack in her comment section at times by saying that she is ok with women in college. Lori could also be called out since her youngest daughter has a college degree. I can easily see Lori disliking a Mormon women who returns to workforce after becoming widow. Also there are some Mormon women who are/were never SAHMs.

From reading Mormon blogs, I will say that some of those women could totally be besties with Lori. Well known Mormon blogger Stephanie Nielson has some of the views on gender roles as Lori. Stephanie is constantly talking about her manly husband and how he is the provider blah blah. There is another Mormon blogger that I follow, who seems to hate quite bit on two income families and tends to view them as always being materialistic. Lori has made similar statements on her blog about two income families. Maybe some women chose to work for material reasons, but if Lori and that other Mormon blogger really talked to many working women, they would find that there are good reasons to why many women work. But again Lori is pretty dense about a lot of things that go on in the world. If some women want to be SAHMs that is fine, but they need to realize that other women don't desire it and some women want more financial security for their families and themselves.

Lori is continuing to rant against working women and in today's post she cites a Forbes magazine article and links to a parenting site article. She has to post out that Forbes is a non biblical magazine. Yeah, like that will make people lighten up on her. We all know she will always strongly dislike working women.

Women use to give me a hard time whenever I wrote a submission. I am not getting as many arguments about that anymore.

That's because you delete them, Lors.

Lori is continuing to rant against working women and in today's post she cites a Forbes magazine article and links to a parenting site article. She has to post out that Forbes is a non biblical magazine. Yeah, like that will make people lighten up on her. We all know she will always strongly dislike working women.

Give it up, Lori, your son's new wife isn't going to give up her hard-earned career as an attorney...

Her comment that she won't read any info from the government or doctors is a doozy.

I can understand that the pharmaceutical companies have a vested interested in their products. But what exactly is the vested interest of government in this case? Bad drugs get recalled all the time.

If you exclude anything from doctors, aren't you just excluding those who actually have the training to do proper research and know what they are talking about? Yes, doctor's give vaccinations, but it's not a huge money-maker. For example, where I live, giving the flu vaccine during a regular office visit makes the doctor a whopping $3.70. http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/prog ... l4375.aspx

Dr. Mercola, OTOH, makes a ton of money off his products. Sarah Pope has monetized her website and is selling her book. Why doesn't Lori think that they are benefiting from promoting their anti-vaccine stance?

Give it up, Lori, your son's new wife isn't going to give up her hard-earned career as an attorney...

Are you referring to Emily? If so, how delicious! Also, I'm sure the newlyweds will be concentrating on their careers for several years to come -- so not according to the way Lori thinks they should be done (babies, babies, babies). Love it!

Lori better be careful. I have a MIL that, though different than Lori, though her actions eventually forced my husband to make a choice between me and her. You notice that I'm still calling him my husband, so that probably tells you who he chose ;)

Are you referring to Emily? If so, how delicious! Also, I'm sure the newlyweds will be concentrating on their careers for several years to come -- so not according to the way Lori thinks they should be done (babies, babies, babies). Love it!

Now granted, I have no proof, but I have a hypothesis that her latest vomit of support for being a keeper-at-home and stay-at-home-mom is pointed directly at Emily. I just can't imagine a young woman who has worked so hard to become a respected attorney would just give it all up because her mother-in-law is a shrew. Maybe that'll change when she has children, but for now I just have a hard time believing it.

Wait, I don't follow Lorken well enough. Her son's wife is an attorney?

:lol:

I hope she outearns Ken in 2 years and lets him know.

I hope she and her husband have glorious and successful careers, happy unbeaten children and a wonderful life together.

Wait, I don't follow Lorken well enough. Her son's wife is an attorney?

:lol:

I hope she outearns Ken in 2 years and lets him know.

I hope she and her husband have glorious and successful careers, happy unbeaten children and a wonderful life together.

I think that Ken makes a good living with his consulting business. But Lorken's son Steven is about to start his orthodontic career. It is hard to tell what Steven's wife makes. She is a bit young and she could have some student loan debt. But I think it is safe to say that the Lorken's daugher in law could be making more than Ken someday and we know that will piss off Lori and Ken. When Ken was posting here, he did say that he had respect for working women. I don't think that was completely truthful coming from him. I think he said that to save face. Ken's consulting business caters to orthodontists and their practices. Ken full well knows that many women work as orthodontic assistants, office managers, etc.

I hope that Steven and Emily don't spank their future kids. Maybe Emily will take time off from work when they have kids. I guess that would appease Lori. Lori's other daughter in law Erin is a SAHM, but she has a college education. Who knows maybe Erin will return to the workforce someday. Lori's oldest daughter seems to work part time as a dance teacher and I'm sure that even pisses off Lori.

I think that Ken makes a good living with his consulting business. But Lorken's son Steven is about to start his orthodontic career. It is hard to tell what Steven's wife makes. She is a bit young and she could have some student loan debt. But I think it is safe to say that the Lorken's daugher in law could be making more than Ken someday and we know that will piss off Lori and Ken. When Ken was posting here, he did say that he had respect for working women. I don't think that was completely truthful coming from him. I think he said that to save face. Ken's consulting business caters to orthodontists and their practices. Ken full well knows that many women work as orthodontic assistants, office managers, etc.

I hope that Steven and Emily don't spank their future kids. Maybe Emily will take time off from work when they have kids. I guess that would appease Lori. Lori's other daughter in law Erin is a SAHM, but she has a college education. Who knows maybe Erin will return to the workforce someday. Lori's oldest daughter seems to work part time as a dance teacher and I'm sure that even pisses off Lori.

I'm sure there are plenty of female orthdontists as well. I wonder if Ken refuses to take them as his clients?

Sorry guys, my mistake--I put on my gum boots and trudged through Lori's posts and evidently she's in grad school. I don't know why I was thinking law school.

Sorry guys, my mistake--I put on my gum boots and trudged through Lori's posts and evidently she's in grad school. I don't know why I was thinking law school.

She's in grad school for law. She's going to be a lawyer.

She's in grad school for law. She's going to be a lawyer.

Thank you, Hisey, I thought I was going insane for a moment there.

I would be really shocked if Lori is able to guilt her into not working as a lawyer and being a SAHW. I bet having a happy working DIL with a happy husband and a happy marriage is going to drive Lori insane.

I'm sure there are plenty of female orthdontists as well. I wonder if Ken refuses to take them as his clients?

Ken has a listing of his clients on his business site and a few of them are female. One of the female clients gave a testimonial on the site.

I heard something in a podcast the other that suited Lori perfectly. Christian gets to heaven and says "Jesus, I had the very best doctrine and I preached it to everyone." Jesus replies "yeah, sure, but did you have to be such a douche about it?"

Archived