IGNORED

Another Bates Courtship

BigSandy

Kelly said there are dorms, but their kids live at home and commute to school.

In pairs. Erin needs an accountability buddy to go to her classes. Clown College has a LOT of rules about behavior and dress, and I'm sure Erin appreciates it. Then she doesn't have to see anyone with green hair :roll:

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Erin ever discusses the University of Tennessee with those friends they visited recently since in Kelly's post she stated the daughter is set to graduate with a nursing degree. I wonder if Erin ever asks the daughter attending the university what it is like.

As with all colleges, I'm sure Clown College hires part time piano instructors, so Erin's teacher may also be part time at UT-Knoxville or one of its branches.

Kelly said there are dorms, but their kids live at home and commute to school.

I looked on the website, I was curious. They're not 'dorms' per se, but it's like a house for so many students with an RA and house parent. They look like cheap, modern houses. They pride themselves on making them like "homes".

And you MUST live on campus if you're more than 50 miles away. Apparently that's how Erin gets to commute. But everybody else, unless married or "of non-traditional age" must live in the 'dorms'.

I think it would be a great experience for Erin, but not the same. There was something amazing and eye opening about living in a little concrete and linoleum box, sharing a bathroom with thirty other girls. You make life long friends.

I looked on the website, I was curious. They're not 'dorms' per se, but it's like a house for so many students with an RA and house parent. They look like cheap, modern houses. They pride themselves on making them like "homes".

And you MUST live on campus if you're more than 50 miles away. Apparently that's how Erin gets to commute. But everybody else, unless married or "of non-traditional age" must live in the 'dorms'.

I think it would be a great experience for Erin, but not the same. There was something amazing and eye opening about living in a little concrete and linoleum box, sharing a bathroom with thirty other girls. You make life long friends.

Agreed, but at the same time I knew lots of people who lived with their parents and commuted to either a local university or community college due to cost. They also didn't have 18 brothers and sisters at home either

Crown college is a real, accredited (albeit fundamentalist) brick and mortar college in Powell, Tennessee not far from the Bates: http://thecrowncollege.com/

According to comments Kelly has made over the years:

Erin is getting a BA in music (at least that seems to be what she is doing)-- perhaps this degree? http://thecrowncollege.com/BBS_musicministry/ and will graduate in December.

Nathan was pursuing some sort of 1-year certificate. Maybe this? http://thecrowncollege.com/christian_life_certificate/

He may have finished in June, although Kelly hasn't mentioned it if he did.

Alyssa was supposedly in a dual-enrollment high school college/program--possibly this online one: http://thecrowncollege.com/early_advantage_online/

Crown has started a trade school as well: http://thecrowncollege.com/trades_and_technology/

I do believe this school is better than nothing. The Duggar kids would be much better off in a live classroom with non-relatives once in a while.

I think nothing is probably better than a Certificate in Christian Life.

Kelly posted! So the courtship is between Zach and a young woman called Whitney Perkins. Apparently she's adopted. And she goes to a local college.

Oh my god! She has an actual job! And they met there, so not through family or ati! I'm really excited by this!

She looks genuinely happy in those photos (compare and contrast with Zach's previous courtship pics...). He, on the other hand, I'm not sure... Maybe he doesn't like having his photo taken? He looks awkward.

It might be akward beacuse of the previous courtship? Like, "I've done this before..". I think they look like they care about eachother, and she is really sweet. I'm also excited about this. She could have a good impact on the younger Bates-sisters, show them that they can have jobs and still be godly.

Wow that was a pretty quick rebound from the last girl he was courting.

Wow that was a pretty quick rebound from the last girl he was courting.

Not really, that one ended well over a year ago (but was only announced last July.) Plenty of non-fundies have a much shorter gap between one serious/long-term relationship ending and another beginning (e.g. for my friend it was about a month!)

I had a feeling it wasn't Alyssa! That's pretty cool. Kelly could have just "...where her father is a preacher" but she chose to mention the mother also working. This girl is very cute and modern looking! And he met her all on his own. I'm highly impressed.

Not really, that one ended well over a year ago (but was only announced last July.) Plenty of non-fundies have a much shorter gap between one serious/long-term relationship ending and another beginning (e.g. for my friend it was about a month!)

Wow is it that long ago? Feels like it was a couple of months ago.

Wow they went to The Comedy Barn! Most comic show's I've been to haven't exactly been "G" rated. :lol: They do make a cute couple and look so much more relaxed with each other than the last girl.

So we have 2 weddings in the next year or so. Plus, Alyssa seems to be pre-courting. It's so nice to see a fundie couple recognize that their "adult children" are indeed adults. (*cough* Boob, Stevie....)

Guest LilaFowler

OMG, they're touching, and hugging! No six feet or six inches rule! And Whitney goes to college and works, and her mother works as well. I'm really shocked, but pleased! I wonder if they've kissed as well? :lol:

I'm so glad that it's not Alyssa- she's so young!! Zach seems to better understand what he's doing here and looks way less awkward. I'm impressed that Gil and Kelly let this courtship play out- especially since Whitney's family doesn't seem super fundie. I'm really happy for Zach though!

Who really knows with these fundies - they are so well practiced at "keeping sweet" but both Zach and Whit (?) seem to be comfortable with each other and seem to be happy with this courtship. The last courtship just seemed awkward. So, good luck to them. Wonder if it will be a double wedding?

The only disturbing thing in the blog update is the very unfortunate table decoration. :D Yellow and purple? Ugh.

BUT BUT BUT they are touching!!! I wouldn't have bet my @$$ on it, but I thought they'd be all "we let our kids decide ....but we tell them what will be the best choice!" but it's nice to see that Kelly is coherent in her statements.

Wow they went to The Comedy Barn! Most comic show's I've been to haven't exactly been "G" rated. :lol: They do make a cute couple and look so much more relaxed with each other than the last girl.

So we have 2 weddings in the next year or so. Plus, Alyssa seems to be pre-courting. It's so nice to see a fundie couple recognize that their "adult children" are indeed adults. (*cough* Boob, Stevie....)

The Comedy Barn is geared at families. Even my in-laws have been. I haven't been yet, but I hear it is really funny.

Awww thats nice.

I like Kelly better than Michelle for this reason-she seems to like and trust her kids a lot more.

Its great that Zach is allowed to court a woman who isnt as fundie-she works and goes to college, and let them touch before marriage

Archived