IGNORED

Another Bates Courtship

BigSandy

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know how Alyssa and John met?

Kelly stated in one of the comments that the Bates girls went on a mission trip with John Webster's brother and later the two families met.

let me see if I can find it...

Kelly May 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Dear Katy,

The girls actually met John’s brother Jordan first. They went on a mission trip together. Through that friendship, they got to know John as well. Love, Kelly

I feel like at school when someone says "oh, Elise is in love with someone" and everyone except to know whith who (? good formulation ?) Elise is.

absolutely untrue. ati and vf are full of lawyers.

Are you claiming lawyers are smart?

Both VF and ATI seem to be very big on education.

Especially ATI. A lot of the kids seem to go to college.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last I checked Gothard wasn't big on any college that wasn't his own. Many of the parents who join are college educated, but the kids being raised in ATI are usually encouraged to only attend a Gothard "college". Back in the 90's he was still teaching that college wasn't necessary and apprenticeship was the way to go.

So apparently the family dressed up as cows for free Chick-Fil-A, and Kelly tells us about how such a large family can eat there economically. Because nothing says family fun like dressing up like cows and supporting the anti-gay rights agenda.

And no mention of the courtship she said she'd post about... Dammit I'm just so curious. Is Alyssa courting the congressman's son or not?!

I was hoping she would post about the courtship today. Does anyone think it's not Alyssa and John Webster? I know she said she would post an update about them, but that could mean anything.

Dammit Kelly, no one cares about chicken day or cow day or whatever it is! We want to know who's courtin'!

It's obviously Alyssa and John Webster, though. But still.

Dammit Kelly, no one cares about chicken day or cow day or whatever it is! We want to know who's courtin'!

Lmao! :D Seriously!

It seems obvious it's Alyssa and the CongressSon, BUT, they did just do that post on Michael taking that trip to visit some family, which doesnt seem to be something she normally does. So if this was the Kentucky Derby (and i'm placing my el cheapo bets), I'd say the odds are 6:1 for Alyssa and put $20 on Her, but hedge my bets and place a $5 on the, no pun intended, dark horse, 25:1 odds, candidate Michael. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the underdog! And I really hope it's Michael because Alyssa is a little young and I actually really like something about Michael. She seems very genuine and sweet and I'm sure she would make an excellent, doting wife and mother- even if it is still a quivering life for her.

It seems obvious it's Alyssa and the CongressSon, BUT, they did just do that post on Michael taking that trip to visit some family, which doesnt seem to be something she normally does. So if this was the Kentucky Derby (and i'm placing my el cheapo bets), I'd say the odds are 6:1 for Alyssa and put $20 on Her, but hedge my bets and place a $5 on the, no pun intended, dark horse, 25:1 odds, candidate Michael. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the underdog! And I really hope it's Michael because Alyssa is a little young and I actually really like something about Michael. She seems very genuine and sweet and I'm sure she would make an excellent, doting wife and mother- even if it is still a quivering life for her.

What are the odds on a double announcement? Maybe Alyssa and Michael, or perhaps Alyssa and one of the boys? ;)

Why does everyone like Michael so much? The few times I heard her speak, she just said how much she loved babies and caring for the house. Does she really know this to be true, or is it just what she's been told ("you are just a natural with those babies, Michael")? To me, she doesn't have much spark or fire, and hasn't had much chance to develop her own interests. When you are the oldest of 19 in a quiverfull family AND a girl, how well can you even know yourself?

I find the Bates slightly more likable than the Duggars. This occured after Kelly Bates wrote the blog post amending her views on courtship. It takes a scrap of free thinking and breaking away from the herd to publicly admit your old views might be flawed and to try a different system. I don't think there will ever be a Duggar/Bates courtship after that. The Duggars would in turn be agreeing with the Bates' idea of courtship if they permitted one between the clans, and they would never do that. They work hard to please both the average TV crowd and the Gothard community. One thing they have always stuck by are their views of courtship. Even as the wardrobes, beauty regimes and spending habits have been altered, they have never publicly even contemplated another system besides courtship. Their reputations in Gothard circles and the public eye could be tarnished by accepting a Bates-like courtship.

Other than that, the Bates are pretty much the same as the Duggars. Even if Michael does enjoy "mother-type" activities, it doesn't mean they should be forced upon her. I personally would try to learn to enjoy activities I knew I'd be bound to for the rest of my life (and be worth less than a used tissue if I sucked at them).

Hopefully, with their slightly more open minds, the Bates children will marry into fundie-lite circles or what have you.

they go to very conservative schools like Patrick henry and then onto places like oak brook law.

And Liberty Law. I still chuckle whenever I see one of the Liberty interns in my office building. The boys look freshly scrubbed and wearing their finest khakis, dress shirts and ties, or ill-fitting suits.

So apparently the family dressed up as cows for free Chick-Fil-A, and Kelly tells us about how such a large family can eat there economically. Because nothing says family fun like dressing up like cows and supporting the anti-gay rights agenda.

Besides the social issues associated with eating chickfila, it is not economical regardless of how they do it. Unless they get the store to give them the buttered buns + pickles for free, it's got to be at least $75 for them to eat out. Which isn't a bad deal for that many people, but it would be a fraction of that to just make chicken salad at home. Plus you wouldn't have to sit in a restaurant and "dice" chicken nuggets with plastic utensils :?

So they don't believe in celebrating Halloween, but it's a-ok for them to dress as cows for free food.

Um, ok, whatever.

As for courtship news, if it is Alyssa, she's so young. Maybe it will be. a long courtship.

First time poster, long time lurker here. Is it possible that the delay in Kelly's timing [particularly as she has obviously had time/computer access to post the 'Cows' update] is that the couple is John Webster and Alyssa and the Congressman thinks it could cause some backlash? The Bates aren't huge stars but they have had a TLC TV show [as well as appearances with the Duggars] and a decent-sized following, perhaps he is worried about looking 'weird' to his constituents? We know that the Bates' version of courtship is about as good as it gets in ATI/IFB circles, but to the uninitiated it could be shocking. This is especially true if they view any material from the Zach/Sarah courtship, which is incredibly awkward and off putting. Thoughts?

Whatever the reason, hurry up Kelly! This taunting has to stop, a girl's gotta know!

Besides the social issues associated with eating chickfila, it is not economical regardless of how they do it. Unless they get the store to give them the buttered buns + pickles for free, it's got to be at least $75 for them to eat out. Which isn't a bad deal for that many people, but it would be a fraction of that to just make chicken salad at home. Plus you wouldn't have to sit in a restaurant and "dice" chicken nuggets with plastic utensils :?

Or free for everyone cause they went dressed like cows!

Why does everyone like Michael so much? The few times I heard her speak, she just said how much she loved babies and caring for the house. Does she really know this to be true, or is it just what she's been told ("you are just a natural with those babies, Michael")? To me, she doesn't have much spark or fire, and hasn't had much chance to develop her own interests. When you are the oldest of 19 in a quiverfull family AND a girl, how well can you even know yourself?

I think a lot of people just feel sorry for Michael because she's not as conventionally attractive as her sisters, and a lot of people mistake that for actually liking her, or they feel like they're more special for liking the less popular one or something.

And I really do feel sorry for her, but not because of her appearance or body shape. I feel sorry for her that she lives in a culture where the only way to ever have a chance at marriage (for a woman) is to be strikingly beautiful, or else good enough with babies and domestic work that you develop a good reputation, because there's really no other way for her to meet a man.

I feel sorry for all the children because they've been so limited. I would really like to see what any of them could do with a proper high school education. And a choice to pursue what interests them personally.

I want to know too! And we need something else to talk about. It's not very interesting when they're just living their lives. We need courtships/marriage etc!

I can't possibly be the only one who thinks that Michael is actually the most attractive of the Bates daughters? I'm not saying that to be unconventional, I really think she is the best looking.

Archived