IGNORED

Another Bates Courtship

BigSandy

I have to say..... Mom could very well be a haridresser working AT HOME (nothing wrong with that) and it is a Gothard approved thing if the husband is ok with it. Sonic, in spite of the music, is a stretch, but other ATI families look the other way and let their kids work--it could be the manager is a relative or goes to church with them, too. And she could be in nursing school--Gothard approves that if the father approves since he hasn't been able to work out a program and there has to be female nurses to care for female patients, right? Or her father may NEED her to study, say accounting, for the family business--maybe her brothers are too young?

That said, I recall in the first Bates visit the Duggars show when Zak said "he be just as happy with one or two" kids if that's what the Lord sent. I hope they really DID choose each other and that they are able to make their own decisions. I've seen one other ATI family who let their kids chose totally on their own and that included careers. I don't know if that family went to conferences all the time though! Maybe the TV show money gave them a little breathing room and the courtship fiasco made them stop and think?

I googled them last night and could hardly find anything about them, but her mom apparently owns "Lydia's Family Haircutters" at an address other than their family home. Here is the dad shrieking/singing? through a sermon, this is not an independent fundie baptist church, I don't think they act like that:

sites.google.com/site/pineridgebaptistchurchclinton/Messages

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to wonder if, as I said elsewhere, the Duggars ARE courting, just quietly and with confidentiality agreements. Espeically John David.

That's who I think, too.

I guess one of the things that makes me like Kelly (don't get me wrong, I still disagree with her on many issues) is that she is willing to admit that actually she doesn't have all the answers and is willing to rethink her stance on something (in this case: courtship.) Also I get the gushing-parent vibe from her (which I haven't got from some other fundies, namely JB & M) - she seems genuinely happy and excited to let her children experience life. I remember when the Bates were first on 19kac and she answered a question about sheltering her children using the metaphor of a flower. Although I disagree with the extreme sheltering (especially the chaperones and purity stuff) she did explain that there is a time to let her children out into the world - the bit that the likes of the Duggars and the Maxwells don't seem to have grasped.

I am not a big Bates fan (disagree on things as well) however, I do think it very positive that Kelly recognizes this. Never in a million years would you hear my own Mom saying this but I digress. Perhaps it comes from her own (and Gil's) non ATI upbringing. Also, I do think that Zach's last courtship experience caused some disappointment and pain for him (he seemed very into Sarah; her not so much) and maybe she feels that trying to follow the prescribed courtship model had a part in that. Because they were trying to follow the model and it seemed very awkward. After that maybe they decided to be more flexible on it.

Good for Zach! It's pretty clear that Kelly and Gil allow their children to decide what boundaries to set. She said in the comments that Erin and Chad want to wait until engagement to hold hands and "properly hug" (although they give side hugs), compared to Zach and Whitney. You can definitely tell that he looks much happier and less awkward around her compared to when he was courting Sarah. Apparently, they're already planning on an October engagement with a spring wedding. Sounds like they're still in the honeymoon phase but as long as they're both happy, that's what matters, I guess.

Like I said before, the Bates are still pretty crazy with some of the social views but they seem much more relaxed in the courtship aspect, allowing their children to decide what boundaries to set.

Never been to a Sonic. What do the servers wear? Do they play ebil music in the background?

They wear a t-shirt and shorts/pants. Some wear roller skates. I know sometimes there's modern day music and sometimes there's oldies on when I go. I guess it depends on the manager.

They wear black pants and blue polos as I remember. I highly doubt that girl doesnt wear pants.

I bet we won't hear about a duggar courtship until and engagement alike Josh. I feel bad for the pressure on John David, he seems happy just doing what he does.

I googled them last night and could hardly find anything about them, but her mom apparently owns "Lydia's Family Haircutters" at an address other than their family home. Here is the dad shrieking/singing? through a sermon, this is not an independent fundie baptist church, I don't think they act like that:

sites.google.com/site/pineridgebaptistchurchclinton/Messages

It's probably not an at home beauty salon. I'm a Tennessean and my Mom is a beautician with a shop in the basement of her house. (Think Dolly Parton on Steel Magnolias!) Several years ago the state legislature passed a law that said all shops had to be separate from the home. My Mom's shop was grandfathered in.

Cute couple. The Bates throw a much nicer courting party/dinner than that shit proposal Anna got....

I'm sorry, but when I saw the photo of them holding up "ZackWhit" all I could think of was "fuckwit" or "nitwit".

Never been to a Sonic. What do the servers wear? Do they play ebil music in the background?

Ton's of Sonics round my home base. Love the onions rings and straw berry slushes. The sonic i most frequent plays mostly country and soft rock with oldies thrown in from time to time. Visit one if you get a chance.

Anyone brave enough to tweet or Facebook email the producer of 19 kids, to let him know about these courtships? I wanna see this next season. The bates needs their show back.

If the Duggar's are invited it will become a part of their show...."Duggars down the aisle, again."

I think this is her pinterest, all her followers are from that area and are college aged girls. She has a wedding album

pinterest.com/whitneyperkins/

If the Duggar's are invited it will become a part of their show...."Duggars down the aisle, again."

"Duggar's a Bridesmaid, Never a Bride"

I think this is her pinterest, all her followers are from that area and are college aged girls. She has a wedding album

pinterest.com/whitneyperkins/

Her 'style' board features a whole lot of jeans, so I think it's probably safe to assume that this girl does wear pants.

That's who I think, too.

I dunno . . . I just can't fathom Boob not wanting to shout from the rooftops that he has desirable children and take advantage of interviews/payment.

Her 'style' board features a whole lot of jeans, so I think it's probably safe to assume that this girl does wear pants.

I wonder if she was told to wear a skirt for the photo, or if Zach will make her give up pants. Total speculation, of course.

Since she is adopted, her parents are most likely not ATI people, since Gothard was/is so anti-adoption. It seems like in recent years that he's not so vocal about it, but back when she would have been adopted, it would have been a big no-no.

"Duggar kids go to one more fundie wedding, with nary one of their own in sight"

A bit long, but true.

And JB will never take heed. Still think both he and J'chelle are too vested in being in charge of their large brood and J'chelle would probably go off the deep end losing any of her "help". Kelly, being more involved in raising her own kids, can cope with letting them go.

Since she is adopted, her parents are most likely not ATI people, since Gothard was/is so anti-adoption. It seems like in recent years that he's not so vocal about it, but back when she would have been adopted, it would have been a big no-no.

You know there's an interesting story there, about how she came to live with them.

I hope the Jslaves dont feel too bad about seeing all the Bateses married off :( It must suck to see them all getting out there and meeting men, while theyre sat at home wiping toddler butts and doing laundry.

Oh well, dont worry girls, at least youre not Sarah Maxwell :(

It is indeed her pinterest account, in the wedding file she has some pics of flowers with a description under that says "Mine & Zach's wedding colors!!:)" It sounds like she is planning out most of the wedding already!

She does seem super fundy-lite she also posted this picture in her fashion section, with the description "Cute"

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/dc/2e/81/dc2e81a4e204a1d253600813f43f34bc.jpg

*gasp* shorts, how defrauding!

I'm happy to see Kelly and Gil being a bit more open minded towards 'outsiders', I hope this one works out for Zach.

If you are already planning the wedding and know each other for a while, why don't they just get married at Christmas time?

It is indeed her pinterest account, in the wedding file she has some pics of flowers with a description under that says "Mine & Zach's wedding colors!!:)" It sounds like she is planning out most of the wedding already!

She does seem super fundy-lite she also posted this picture in her fashion section, with the description "Cute"

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/dc/2e/81/dc2e81a4e204a1d253600813f43f34bc.jpg

*gasp* shorts, how defrauding!

I'm happy to see Kelly and Gil being a bit more open minded towards 'outsiders', I hope this one works out for Zach.

She did also post pictures of "modest wedding dresses" - however only one was the t-shirt style, the others were pretty vintage style ones with lace sleeves. I'd say she still subscribes to the whole modesty thing, just not as extreme as the super fundies.

If you are already planning the wedding and know each other for a while, why don't they just get married at Christmas time?

The way I understood Kelly's post, she's in her last year of college. That probably means she'll graduate sometime in the spring, so it would make sense to put the wedding off till then. Other reasons could include wanting to save money, finding a place to live, not wanting to rush the planning, and wanting to spend more time dating before getting engaged. All of which are really good reasons, as far as I'm concerned.

Archived