IGNORED

David, Priscilla, & Paul Waller - Pecan Thief in the Family

happy atheist

This is not the first video they've made where the wind is blowing so the audio is terrible. I hope he's not planning a career in movie making.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Priscilla herself is much worse. She was far from normal, in my opinion, when we first saw her. I have a cousin by marriage who was premature and a bit oxygen deprived at birth. She's always been behind and "slow." Priscilla is so very similar. The cousin isn't considered low enough IQ to be officially diagnosed but her parents were told to keep their expectations very low. I think Priscilla fits in that just above diagnosable band also. It appears to me that David is at least giving Priscilla talking points if not writing a script and that is complicating her trying to speak to the camera. If David knows what he's doing, then to me it's taking advantage of Priscilla's slowness and he deserves a few dressing downs until he starts protecting her instead of using her.

I have never meant a 5 year old that their prayer request was have a better attitude.

I think that is her adult (and I use that term lightly) report about how she really felt when she was 5 and no one would buy her a pair of white sandals.

This is not the first video they've made where the wind is blowing so the audio is terrible. I hope he's not planning a career in movie making.

I don't think he is, but a part of me thinks that he's looking for a TLC spin off. They're not like able enough for that.

Plus what would it be called?

1 Pecan and Gleaning: a man who is probably suppressing his homosexuality and his beautiful wife who can barely string together a sentence are raising one child (and counting!) in suburban Chicago while working for a cult's headquarters.

I see her being happy about another one, maybe two pregnancies. After that she will be shoving David off and crying every time she sees a + on a pregnancy test. There's no way she can keep up. Just no way. Having babies will not be her joy even though she will say it is. It will be a burden that she has to bear for the good of the army of the lord. It's so sad, I just don't see her coping well at all.

I hope he finds a lover and lets her be.

Being married to a controlling, closeted homosexual who works for a cult that doesn't allow birth control wasn't enough. Now she's stuck in an apartment in a "dangerous" city where she knows only other cult members and must take care of a new born 24/7/365. She likely has no radio or tv for comfort, doesn't dare read a Harlequin or Barbara Cartland, can only surround herself with classical music or sermon tapes and even then has to be careful she doesn't make them into an idol. She can make breakfast and dinner for her husband, probably pack him a lunch, try to remember what sex is and what it was like to not have a parasitic twin growing from her boob all day....hmmmm....great life.....Makes being a nun sound fabulous--even an 18th century cloistered nun............. I won't say she's "delayed" or "disabled" I'd say she's in despair............

I see her being happy about another one, maybe two pregnancies. After that she will be shoving David off and crying every time she sees a + on a pregnancy test. There's no way she can keep up. Just no way. Having babies will not be her joy even though she will say it is. It will be a burden that she has to bear for the good of the army of the lord. It's so sad, I just don't see her coping well at all.

Honestly? I think she'll cope with it far better than I ever could. She believes it’s her raison d'être, and you don't need a high IQ to be a loving mother. She seems kind and patient. I don't think she'll be able to homeschool them much past the first grade, but David will probably get the kids involved in homeschool group where Pris can contribute at a level that's appropriate for her.

The biggest problem for Pris isn't David's penis; it’s his ambition and the fact that he's a control freak. And let's face it, he's probably not physically attracted to her. If she does not live up to the expectations he has for her as the wife of an up and coming Headquarters Man, I'd be concerned over how he might end up treating her.

I just rewatched part of the video and am annoyed by the part where she says, 'I encourage moms to continue to love your children." I can only speak for myself - but I don't choose to love my child. From the moment I learned I was pregnant, something within me shifted focus. My unborn baby became the most important thing to me. And that has never changed, nor have I ever had to "choose" to love my son over the past 15 years. Even when he frustrates me, or we have an argument - I still and always will love him unconditionally.

Why does Priscilla think it necessary to encourage moms to choose to love their children? Probably because in Gothardite society, married women aren't given the choice on whether to have children or not; or the choice on how many children to have. In fact, having babies is their primary and most important function. It's harder to feel loving toward children you might never have wanted in the first place, or if you have so many children your body is exhausted and broken down, you are constantly tripping over them in your hovel of a home, and you can't afford medical care for them, so instead you've got to "pray away" any sickness or disease. Not to mention if your husband is the sort who insists on wearing a ten-gallon cowboy hat to play tennis so his tender complexion doesn't get burned.

Being married to a controlling, closeted homosexual who works for a cult that doesn't allow birth control wasn't enough. Now she's stuck in an apartment in a "dangerous" city where she knows only other cult members and must take care of a new born 24/7/365. She likely has no radio or tv for comfort, doesn't dare read a Harlequin or Barbara Cartland, can only surround herself with classical music or sermon tapes and even then has to be careful she doesn't make them into an idol. She can make breakfast and dinner for her husband, probably pack him a lunch, try to remember what sex is and what it was like to not have a parasitic twin growing from her boob all day....hmmmm....great life.....Makes being a nun sound fabulous--even an 18th century cloistered nun............. I won't say she's "delayed" or "disabled" I'd say she's in despair............

Very possible. I don't know about David's "real" orientation (it's my personal rule here not speculate or snark on that) but whatever it may be, I never got the feeling that David really loves Pris, blog name notwithstanding. It's very clear from his blog that he was pressured into the marriage; he was doing his duty. I don't know if Pris's speaking and mannerisms stem from nature (true developmental delays or disability) or nurture (limited education and upbringing) or both, but in any case, she may still have the ability to figure out by now what her husbands true feelings are, see what he's really like, and realize what kind of life she signed up for. It's been long enough since the courtship / wedding that the honeymoon period may be over.

And yes, I have no doubt that David would be controlling as hell. I mean, who tries to conduct music at their own wedding?

I only made it to 1:50 in that video. It is just so painful to listen and watch her speak.

Me too. I couldn't take the blank stares while she thought of her next words, um, special, special, um, the Lord, the Lord. Oh boy! And don't even get me started on her husband. He is so married to the wrong gender(cause they(the duggars) can't say sex) It might give you desires that can't be righteously filled. :lol:

Very possible. I don't know about David's "real" orientation (it's my personal rule here not speculate or snark on that) but whatever it may be, I never got the feeling that David really loves Pris, blog name notwithstanding. It's very clear from his blog that he was pressured into the marriage; he was doing his duty. I don't know if Pris's speaking and mannerisms stem from nature (true developmental delays or disability) or nurture (limited education and upbringing) or both, but in any case, she may still have the ability to figure out by now what her husbands true feelings are, see what he's really like, and realize what kind of life she signed up for. It's been long enough since the courtship / wedding that the honeymoon period may be over.

And yes, I have no doubt that David would be controlling as hell. I mean, who tries to conduct music at their own wedding?

Let us not forget Priscilla's blog entry she made before the wedding that recieved a lot of talk on this board. She basically had this fatalistic I have to go through with this wedding tone. Then you have David who didn't want to get married. All in all you have 2 people forced by the religous fundamentalist culture they are in to commit to a marriage neither seemed to want to enter.

Let us not forget Priscilla's blog entry she made before the wedding that recieved a lot of talk on this board. She basically had this fatalistic I have to go through with this wedding tone. Then you have David who didn't want to get married. All in all you have 2 people forced by the religous fundamentalist culture they are in to commit to a marriage neither seemed to want to enter.

Yes, you are correct. Pris wasn't too thrilled either. I think for her, she just wasn't into David, but David was encouraged to court her and when he showed up, Pa Keller wasn't going to turn him down. I mean, he's moving up in ATI-land so Pa probably thought he hit the "husband jackpot" in finding a husband for Pris.

a man who is probably suppressing his homosexuality and his beautiful wife who can barely string together a sentence are raising one child (and counting!) in suburban Chicago while working for a cult's headquarters.

Modern Family Life Goes On

Modern Family Life Goes On

I will confess I would totally watch that show.

TLC? Can we make it happen? Drop the Duggars and add "One Pecan and Counting - It's a Fabulous Life!"

I will confess I would totally watch that show.

TLC? Can we make it happen? Drop the Duggars and add "One Pecan and Counting - It's a Fabulous Life!"

Yeah! Me too. Why are fundie guys so goofy looking in their family portraits? The Duggars, Bates, and Paine guys don't appear to have the goofy look. I also noticed it on the pics the ATI group took at the prison.

Watching that Mother's Day video was painful. Priscilla reminded me of Michele Duggar in her demeanor though -- baby voice, and mannerisms when she spoke. Is this some fundie subsurviance that females are expected to project?

I'm not really sure how I feel about her. She married a person her family would approve, he is controlling and battling his own sexuality and her first baby weighed more that she does! Wow! That's a lot to process for a sheltered young woman. I pray Anna can guide her some how to grow into a stronger place.

I don't remember that... what did she say?

I don't remember that... what did she say?

yeah, does anyone have that?

David looks like a veritable prince next to John Schrader. I'm pretty sure he'll always manage to keep a roof over Priscilla's head, food on the table, and modern modest clothing for the blessings.

Plus, Priscilla was older for a fundie bride (30?) and her father must have realised he wouldn't do any better for her than an ambitious man who has Gothard's trust. At least her age makes more than eight or so blessings highly unlikely.

Mrs Keller strikes me as off too, she has a very stilted and slow way of talking and an imbecilic smile, so perhaps part of the issue for Priscilla is learned speech patterns and mannerisms. Anna's speech has become much more clear and less stilted since her engagement special.

I suspect the Kellers were more isolated than most fundies, because of their poverty and the fact that their father's "mission" is focused on prisons, not other fundie families. Their relationship with the church where Anna and Priscilla married seemed to be that of a missionary family the church supported, not of a part of the regular congregation. The Keller kids didn't perform at conferences like many fundies have their kids do, and I wouldn't be surprised if the only regular contact they had outside their immediate family was sharing in prisons and the yearly ATI conference, hardly a recipe for well rounded, confident kids. Anna's confidence has grown steadily as a fundie celebrity, but she used to be very shy and awkward.

Edited because going through the comments the sense of having missed something has just dawned on me. Holy crap! :?

Me too. I couldn't take the blank stares while she thought of her next words, um, special, special, um, the Lord, the Lord. Oh boy! And don't even get me started on her husband. He is so married to the wrong gender(cause they(the duggars) can't say sex) It might give you desires that can't be righteously filled. :lol:

Sex is a swear word according to the duggars? If it's so filthy that it counts as a swear word, why are they addicted to it?

Well, watching that video was painful though I didn't sit through the whole thing. She really seemed struggling for words.

David looks like a veritable prince next to John Schrader. I'm pretty sure he'll always manage to keep a roof over Priscilla's head, food on the table, and modern modest clothing for the blessings.

Plus, Priscilla was older for a fundie bride (30?) and her father must have realised he wouldn't do any better for her than an ambitious man who has Gothard's trust. At least her age makes more than eight or so blessings highly unlikely.

Mrs Keller strikes me as off too, she has a very stilted and slow way of talking and an imbecilic smile, so perhaps part of the issue for Priscilla is learned speech patterns and mannerisms. Anna's speech has become much more clear and less stilted since her engagement special.

I suspect the Kellers were more isolated than most fundies, because of their poverty and the fact that their father's "mission" is focused on prisons, not other fundie families. Their relationship with the church where Anna and Priscilla married seemed to be that of a missionary family the church supported, not of a part of the regular congregation. The Keller kids didn't perform at conferences like many fundies have their kids do, and I wouldn't be surprised if the only regular contact they had outside their immediate family was sharing in prisons and the yearly ATI conference, hardly a recipe for well rounded, confident kids. Anna's confidence has grown steadily as a fundie celebrity, but she used to be very shy and awkward.

Have to agree that both Pris and Anna did better in the husband dept. At least both Josh and David will see that their wives and blessings will have decent roof over their heads, food on the table, and basic needs are met. Though I have menationed this before, I wonder how Ma and Pa Keller have to feel about their daughter and grandchildren living this way. I wonder if Pa Keller feels any guilt for handing over his daughter to this loser. Unfortunately, it's probably all rationalized by John's so-called godliness.

Family isolation plus Ma Keller's off mannerisms would explain Priscilla's own speech issues and mannerisms. Being mostly around family and very limited peer interaction, neither Anna or Pris would have any other reference point for social behavior.

Archived