IGNORED

David, Priscilla, & Paul Waller - Pecan Thief in the Family

happy atheist

But since he rushed into it, as you stated, that doesn't sound like someone who clearly did not want to get married. I feel like I am missing something, or maybe people are inferring something that isn't there.

Youd have to look at some of the videos of them interacting, including the forever mentioned 'I guess' comment in the Valentines 2014 video, the wedding video, and other ones. He just seems so patronizing towards her. She seems really into it, but he seems like he's along for the ride...a ride he controls.

The timeline I point out was more alluding to the whole 'well, if I gotta, I may as well get it done' feel to the whole thing. Other courtships (Seppis and a few others excluded) last a lot longer, as the people are supposed to be evaluating each other. While yes, D and P spent time in each others company as she worked JTTH, she probably had just as much interaction with the participants. Who knows, perhaps his speed was so Priss wouldn't get too far into the evaluation and back away.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert Staddon got married the same year he started to court Priscilla. I think all the pressure from his parents, and watching his good friend court and get married, were the reasons why David rushed into it.

I'm a little curious as to why Davey would only 'consider' *Pris* for marriage. Maybe it's because she doesn't question anything he says/does/tells her to do?

I once heard evangelicals say that Italy is only 1.2% Christian. 'Scuse me? This guy in a funny hat would like to have a word with y'all.

Uhh... seriously? Italy is over 85% Roman Catholic ... I say this with some confidence as I minored in Italian in college, and am the child of first generation Italian Americans.

Unless they're those assholes who don't equate Catholicism with Christianity :roll:

I'm a little curious as to why Davey would only 'consider' *Pris* for marriage. Maybe it's because she doesn't question anything he says/does/tells her to do?

I suspect she was simply the easy option. Reaching the end of her prime marriageable years in fundie land, fully soaked in ATI koolaid and convenient, being at headquarters, physically attractive with all the correct fundie attitudes and expectations. Plus, you can tell he LOVES that she is Anna Duggar's sister and all the attention that comes with that, including having their wedding televised and ongoing cameos on 19 K&C. I can see why she seemed a good prospect for a marriage of convenience.

and then there was david's mom calling him 'chicken'. who calls their adult son a name just bc he isn't into getting married or into a courtship? it didn't sound he was all that much interested,imo.

I think Priscilla was the one he chose because she is pretty and not very bright. Also they are mutually weird, hes got someone who will be fine with going along with all of the silly things he does like steal pecans, dress as a leprechaun, do all of these weird videos. If he chose anyone else she might think he is insane, instead of happily go along with it.

I think Priscilla was the one he chose because she is pretty and not very bright. Also they are mutually weird, hes got someone who will be fine with going along with all of the silly things he does like steal pecans, dress as a leprechaun, do all of these weird videos. If he chose anyone else she might think he is insane, instead of happily go along with it.

And how many of his other marriage prospects would have happily slept in a fast food parking lot in the middle of winter?

She won't mind my quirky nature; she won't question our sex life; she won't "nag'. I think the PT was thinking of all of these things when he chose Pris. Problem is, he had no idea what marriage would be like in real life, hence his frustration with her now that they've been together a couple of years.

My prediction is that he will eventually end up in some type of scandal. Maybe not for awhile, but he's unhappy, he has a lot of energy, and he thinks he's the cat's meow. And now his career path might be adversely impacted with all that's going on. Putting it all together, I sense trouble brewing with winsome Davey.

Uhh... seriously? Italy is over 85% Roman Catholic ... I say this with some confidence as I minored in Italian in college, and am the child of first generation Italian Americans.

Unless they're those assholes who don't equate Catholicism with Christianity :roll:

There definitely people who think Catholics are not Christian. Last year I posted a picture I took outside our church of my husband, indicating it was his first time serving as a Eucharistic minister. An old classmate commented "I had to Google Eucharistic minister. I didn't know what that was because I am a Christian." Ummmm...ok.

and then there was david's mom calling him 'chicken'. who calls their adult son a name just bc he isn't into getting married or into a courtship? it didn't sound he was all that much interested,imo.

That was what really jumped out at me when I read his story. What mom calls her son "chicken" when he is showing reluctance to get married? That's where I felt he was being pushed into it. And it was out there for all to see. If my fiancee had acknowledged something like that, you can bet I would have backed away.

I grew up Catholic in the deep south bible belt and I had tons of "Christians" in high school ask me why Catholics didn't believe in Jesus?!?!?!? :roll:

I love asking the fundies and evangelicals how they would have come into being without the Catholic/Orthodox churches.

I love asking the fundies and evangelicals how they would have come into being without the Catholic/Orthodox churches.

Church history doesn't seem to be a strong suit with a lot of them and I can imagine the look in their eyes when they are asked that question from a (gasp!) heathen.

That was what really jumped out at me when I read his story. What mom calls her son "chicken" when he is showing reluctance to get married? That's where I felt he was being pushed into it. And it was out there for all to see. If my fiancee had acknowledged something like that, you can bet I would have backed away.

I think Chicken is her long-time nickname for him - it wasn't just used in this instance.

I think Chicken is her long-time nickname for him - it wasn't just used in this instance.

If that's the case, that's some nickname. Wonder how he earned that one?

If that's the case, that's some nickname. Wonder how he earned that one?

He may not have earned it. I had a great-aunt by marriage who used "Chicken" in the same context as "Honey" or "Sweetie".

He may not have earned it. I had a great-aunt by marriage who used "Chicken" in the same context as "Honey" or "Sweetie".

I see. I have never heard that word used as a nickhame but you learn something new every day!

I was wondering if Davey was doing chicken imitations when he was little or something like that.

LOL im Greek Orthodox, and the kids from the local evangelical (funy lite) Christian school do an "observational study" on our church every year. They sit in the back of the church filling up about 2 rows and look so uncomfortable. its hilarious

LOL im Greek Orthodox, and the kids from the local evangelical (funy lite) Christian school do an "observational study" on our church every year. They sit in the back of the church filling up about 2 rows and look so uncomfortable. its hilarious

LOL! What the heck? I've literally never heard of anything like this before! Do you know what exactly they're studying and what the point is? I mean I guess actually it's good that they're being exposed to different ways of thinking and worshiping God, unless it's a Maxwellian thing where they go just to observe how idolatrous you all are or something.

LOL! What the heck? I've literally never heard of anything like this before! Do you know what exactly they're studying and what the point is? I mean I guess actually it's good that they're being exposed to different ways of thinking and worshiping God, unless it's a Maxwellian thing where they go just to observe how idolatrous you all are or something.

I have never heard of this either, but that can be a good thing to learn if the intent is to honestly expose them to other churches even if they are squirming their way through it.

Its David. I bet he did something ridiculous to earn it.

I'm surprised he hasn't put up a Paul birthday post/video. Also, I would have expected they'd have another fundie in the oven by now.

I'm surprised he hasn't put up a Paul birthday post/video. Also, I would have expected they'd have another fundie in the oven by now.

LOL! Got a fundie in the oven! That needs to be a post-count title.

I expect David will hold off on the next baby Waller as long as possible.

Archived