IGNORED

Close Encounters of the Fundie Kind

happy atheist

That's absolutely horrifying. :shock: I wonder how much is triggered by the husband telling his wife, "You'd better stay on script and say all the right things to support me, or I'll make your life a living hell/beat you savagely/kill you when we get home."

Now I'm wondering if the husband is mentally ill and had delusions about that poor sweet baby being a demon who deserved to die, or something to that effect.

Well, they have a warrant for the mother as well, and apparently she also was doing similar searches. Which of course implies they perhaps schemed together.

That's what pinged my radar when I first saw it: what mother's response to her husband accidentally leaving their child in a hot car is: "he is a good father." It's like she was mounting a defense before any accusations were even made.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just received a facebook note from an old sorority sister wanting me to like the Young Living Essential Oils she's peddling. I had no idea she'd gone there.... :? I'm awfully tempted to send her some links, but I'm guessing it wouldn't go over too well.

Reading these stories- some were just funny but in a sad kind of way. Very entertaining.

I'm with my husband's family for the 4th and most of them are ex ATI. Well my current reading is a book about the teachings of Gothard. One of the cousins just tried to tell me how amazing Gothard is and how all his things are straight from the Bible. Instant headache.

I'm with my husband's family for the 4th and most of them are ex ATI. Well my current reading is a book about the teachings of Gothard. One of the cousins just tried to tell me how amazing Gothard is and how all his things are straight from the Bible. Instant headache.

Did you point out that Gothard has twice now been censored by his own organization for sexual abuse of underage females?

No I just let it go. He's young and has drunk gallons of the Kool aid. It wasn't with starting a big to do on the holiday. I just laughed and moved on.

My wtf radar went off when I read that both the mom AND the dad googled about children dying from being left in a hot car. Ummm that seems rather fishy. If they have other children, perhaps they should be taken away. If not... Errrr, I don't want them bringing more into the world. The father at least should be sentenced with murder considering his google searches seem highly suspicious and slightly premeditated.

On a different note, perhaps we should make another thread about this sad story, because it's getting this thread off topic :lol:

My husband was at our town's fireworks show tonight. While the show was getting ready, a young man tried walking through the audience, preaching loudly about sinners and freedom. The entire crowd booed at him, and he ran off.

If I believed in hell, then I would hope he'll rot there.

What-the-what? Is child-free a thing now? There are message boards for this? Color me baffled and sickened.

My understanding is that the subreddit was intended for people who didn't have children and didn't wish to have them. More a place to complain about how mom is pressuring for grandchildren again versus a 'how to kill your kid' message board.

Ah, I see. My mind totally went to the worst case scenario followed by the idea of re-homing becoming mainstream on the DL.

Went back to my hometown for the holiday weekend and had to run into Walmart to pickup a forgotten item. Hubby and I entertained ourselves by playing Find a Fundie. Final fundie count = 4. It was a slow day.

I have a lot of fundie encounters because of some slightly overlapping circles I/some of them run in.

The latest was yesterday, when I dropped my middle school-aged son at a water sports week at a Christian camp he likes. There was a family of women in full-length skirts, head coverings, and collarbones/upper arms safely tucked away under heavy, non-clingy fabric (including a sweater for mom - and it was 90+ degrees out).

My son and I were hanging out waiting for check-in. He saw the girls and asked me what was up with the people in colonial dress. I told him they were some of those who believe that they have to cover the girls up really well so that boys won't sin. The incredulous look was priceless.

My daughter and I were trying to figure out what the heck those girls were going to do at a water sports week. How do you waterski in a dress? But I had happened to go down a rabbit trail from one of the threads here a few days ago and ended up on the Modest Swimwear site, and was able to describe for her what they likely wear in the water. She has an interest in costuming via theater, and immediately recognized the description...as what women were required to wear at the turn of the 20th century.

I just looked on the Wholesome Wear site....that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!! I can buy 4 modest one piece suits at Walmart for the price of ONE wholesome wear suit.

I just looked on the Wholesome Wear site....that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!! I can buy 4 modest one piece suits at Walmart for the price of ONE wholesome wear suit.

Do those "modest" one piece suits show the thigh? Your definition of modest is much more lax than j'chelles. Full fledged fundy girls can't even show their knees, shoulders, or collarbones.

Even so, there are much better looking swimwear that meet their modesty standards. Wholesome wear is just one step above the hideous burkini for Muslim ladies who can't show anything but part of their face, hands, and feet.

I saw a van today with John 3:16 written out on one of the side windows.

I saw a van today with John 3:16 written out on one of the side windows.

Blocks driver visibility for Gesus!

Do those "modest" one piece suits show the thigh? Your definition of modest is much more lax than j'chelles. Full fledged fundy girls can't even show their knees, shoulders, or collarbones.

Even so, there are much better looking swimwear that meet their modesty standards. Wholesome wear is just one step above the hideous burkini for Muslim ladies who can't show anything but part of their face, hands, and feet.

I prefer "chunky dunking" after dark in my pool...

We are on a long road trip and we were driving north through Colorado Springs when I noticed that the stretch of highway outside of the Focus on the Family center has been "adopted" by the Gay and Lesbian fund of Colorado. :lol:

Just got ba ck from LAX. We were at the Travel Time Train Museum, when I spotted a mom in a skirt, hair uncut, and two daughters dressed the same way. Now, mind you, we are homeschoolers so we tend to recognize other Fundies, Fundie lights, etc., rather qhickly. But this was LAX and we found the sighting to thus be more surprising. Turned out to be Jewish.

I was remembering today about a woman who worked briefly at a call center that I also worked at. After she was done with her training she was paired with me so I could be there if she needed any help. The first thing I noticed was that she kept a Bible on her desk and read it constantly between phone calls. She was friendly enough, but that Bible meant more to her than anything else. I learned that she was in her late 20's, lived with her parents, and this was her first job. She was clear that her parents insisted she get a job, and they had to enlist the help of her pastor to convince her to apply. She also had never had a date, but expected the perfect Christian guy to show up at her door one day with a sign from God that he's her one true love.

On her second day, I left her to go get coffee and when I returned she had her nose stuck in her Bible again. I asked her, "What'cha reading?" She looked up with a totally rapturous expression and told me she was reading about some guy who was crucified for his beliefs, but he refused to be on the same type of cross that Jesus died on because he felt he was unworthy. (Do martyrs traditionally get to choose the manner of their death?) Then she looked skyward and breathed out "Oh, I would so like to be martyred!" All I could do was laugh and say "You're such a nut!" I really thought it was kind of a joke, but she started crying, and I had to apologise and went to the break room for a cup of hot chocolate for her.

When I got back she was on her cell phone begging someone to meet her in the parking lot after work because she was having a crisis. Then her day really got bad because the manager walked up and wanted to know why she was making a personal phone call when there were customers who needed attention. Then the manager told her that between phone calls she needed to be studying her job and not her Bible. The Bible could be read on her off hours and breaks. She was useless the rest of the night, just kept staring at her Bible and sobbing quietly. After work she ran up to a car parked outside and begged the people inside to pray with her because the people she was working with were ungodly and hostile. "I got called a nut because I said I prayed to be martyred. The manager got mad at me for calling you during my shift and didn't care about my feelings. Then she told me I couldn't read my Bible except on breaks." The looks on the faces of the people in the car was priceless. I think they thought she was a nutty as I did. Anyway, they told her to get in the car because she was too upset to drive and they'd take her home and pray with her. Never saw her again, she quit that same evening via email.

Just got ba ck from LAX. We were at the Travel Time Train Museum, when I spotted a mom in a skirt, hair uncut, and two daughters dressed the same way. Now, mind you, we are homeschoolers so we tend to recognize other Fundies, Fundie lights, etc., rather qhickly. But this was LAX and we found the sighting to thus be more surprising. Turned out to be Jewish.

Married Orthodox Jewish women have to cover their hair with either a hat, kerchief, or wig, so they usually have short or medijum hair. Long wigs are frowned upon. Unmarried Jewish girls and women don't cover the hair, but they are allowed to cut it, even short. Non-orthodox Jewish women don't cover their hair but they wear pants. I'm not sure what you saw.

Archived