IGNORED

Close Encounters of the Fundie Kind

happy atheist

A Christian friend met this guy online, married him and got pregnant all within 3 months. She pooped this kid out 6 months ago and just announced she is adding another 'QUIVER TO HER ARROW' fml. The poor girl is 21 and has the voice of an 80 year old woman.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We had former Brethren church members in our bible study group, once. They told us that (control gag reflex) they washed each other's feet as an act of humility. :sick: I know, I get it. Jesus washed the disciples' feet as an act of humility and service. But those men wore animal skin sandals and tracked through the desert, rarely bathing, so it was an appropriate act of humility for that time.

We had a hard time processing this as new Christians. Dh called it "an old fashioned foot washing," stating he wouldn't want to scrub anyone's old crusties. :naughty: Yeah, we had a hard time being serious about that one. To each his own, I say.

Im surprised that ATI haven't picked up foot washing.

They were definitely Jewish, because her boys, who were not with her when we first spotted mom and daughters,were wearing their yamakas. Mom and daughters did not have "Duggar long" hair, but it was still long and uncut/no style, and they were wearing the skirt/tennis shoes combo.

It must be that all of the girls just happened to like long hair. My guess is the mom was actually an unmarried aunt. Sometimes divorced or widowed women are allowed to uncover their hair.

My old church practiced footwashing sporadically before they left the Free Will Baptist association.I think it just depended n the preacher's whim, because it was just random. But it was always after "The Lord's Supper" (communion), men in one Sunday school room, women in another. Plastic dishtubs filled with water, hand towels. You chose a "partner", then took off your shoes (but left your pantyhose on). You took turns, scooping up a handful of water & pouring it on your partner's foot, then dried her foot with the towel. You prayed over her as you did this. (One of the many things I hated about FWB was the "out loud" prayer - hellish for a shy, socially awkward introvert like me. And imagine the noise!)

Footwashing was mostly symbolic, & not everyone participated. Mostly the older people, people who held some sort of position in the church, and people who just wanted to "look" holy. I think I participated once, right after I joined, & it made me extremely uncomfortable.

It must be that all of the girls just happened to like long hair. My guess is the mom was actually an unmarried aunt. Sometimes divorced or widowed women are allowed to uncover their hair.

Or they could have been (Fake) Jews for Jesus. I've learnt never to be surprised at the level of cultural appropriation some ppl will go to. I can kind of understand why some Christians might think it appropriate to keep some of the Levitical laws (although even when I was Christian I disagreed with them entirely), but most of the distinctively Jewish elements that Fake Jews adopt are, at very best, things that are based in Levitical law but have been interpreted through generations of Jewish tradition and Jewish culture.

(One of the many things I hated about FWB was the "out loud" prayer - hellish for a shy, socially awkward introvert like me. And imagine the noise!

I hear you. I grew up in the Catholic church, and having to confess

my sins to a priest did absolutely nothing for me but create anxiety.

Im surprised that ATI haven't picked up foot washing

:lol: :D :lol: Ewwww! As Jill Duggar would say, "Totally!" :wink-kitty:

I overheard a conversation about raising children a couple of days ago in which one of the women said that it was "my job to train up this child..." I involuntarily shuddered. :snooty:

We had former Brethren church members in our bible study group, once. They told us that (control gag reflex) they washed each other's feet as an act of humility. :sick: I know, I get it. Jesus washed the disciples' feet as an act of humility and service. But those men wore animal skin sandals and tracked through the desert, rarely bathing, so it was an appropriate act of humility for that time.

We had a hard time processing this as new Christians. Dh called it "an old fashioned foot washing," stating he wouldn't want to scrub anyone's old crusties. :naughty: Yeah, we had a hard time being serious about that one. To each his own, I say.

My old SDA church did this ritual prior to communion.

So I went to an auto shop today to get my emissions inspection done. The guy working the front desk was a dead ringer for Josh Duggar. But it was obvious he couldn't be Josh because he was really nice and respectful. And he was working. :)

As I got onto a Metro train in DC this afternoon, I spotted an Amish man on the train. I travel to Lancaster, PA frequently, so seeing Amish folks is not unusual. But, this fellow looked so out of place among the tourists and office workers in DC. I noticed the blue wrap on his arm, which looks like the kind of wrap one often gets after a blood draw. I hope he is not ill.

After I took the pic, I remembered that Amish folks do not like their picture taken. But, since I already stole his soul I figured I might as well share the pic.

post-481-14451999238305_thumb.jpg

It is not uncommon to see Amish and Old Order Mennonites in DC's Union Station. They seem to like to travel by train.

On another topic, a women who I went to elementary school with (and was in Girl Scouts with) just posted pictures of the American Heritage Girls summer camp she helped with last week--she's a conservative Lutheran (and rabid Obama hater & Ayn Rand lover) who thinks the Girl Scouts are full of heathens & lesbians. Apparently the campers did sketches about modesty. However, they all seemed to be wearing shorts (just not ultra short booty shorts).

It is not uncommon to see Amish and Old Order Mennonites in DC's Union Station. They seem to like to travel by train.

On another topic, a women who I went to elementary school with (and was in Girl Scouts with) just posted pictures of the American Heritage Girls summer camp she helped with last week--she's a conservative Lutheran (and rabid Obama hater & Ayn Rand lover) who thinks the Girl Scouts are full of heathens & lesbians. Apparently the campers did sketches about modesty. However, they all seemed to be wearing shorts (just not ultra short booty shorts).

That makes me even more glad that I bought a Rugby shirt from the Girl Scout shop last week. It was on clearance and, even though I'm no longer a Girl Scout, it's gorgeous and "Once a Girl Scout, Always a Girl Scout". It'll be great for walks when the weather turns colder.

I just had a young fundie male show up at the door wanting to please lead me to Christ and take his literature. I told him I had plenty of Christian literature and a church. Her persisted. I told him I'd pray for him and made the Orthodox sign of the cross. He couldn't flee fast enough and almost fell off the porch. :) I'll have to do that first next time.

I just had a young fundie male show up at the door wanting to please lead me to Christ and take his literature. I told him I had plenty of Christian literature and a church. Her persisted. I told him I'd pray for him and made the Orthodox sign of the cross. He couldn't flee fast enough and almost fell off the porch. :) I'll have to do that first next time.

:lol: I did something similar with a mormon a few years ago. I got accosted walking our dog and told them I was pagan. They moved so quickly. Then when I got home they were at the door talking to my brother and as soon as they saw me they practically ran away. I still see missionaries regularly in my area but none have knocked on our door since- I think we're on some sort of list.

Also is it sad that I'm visiting my sister in America in a few months and I'm more excited about maybe, possibly seeing a fundy than anything else? (She lives in New York so chances are slim).

Not necessarily fundie, but I thought of FJ when I saw these girls! lol My daughter had her first 4-H judging on Monday for the sewing competitions. When we were registering, there were 2 girls, evidently from the same church, who had just registered and were filling out the cards for the fashion show. (To wear what they made.) They were dressed in mainstream clothes, even rather stylish, so I hadn't thought much of them. My daughter was filling out her card, and they were handing theirs in. The lady doing the registering asked them about their "accomplishment for the year" section....and this is where I almost lost it. Their accomplishment was going to Kentucky on a mission trip and going to the Creation Museum!! It took every ounce of my being to not begin hysterically laughing. I asked my daughter in the car if she knew what that was. She said what, a sewing museum? lol I told her no, remember the museum the Duggars went to where the cavemen were riding on dinosaurs because the earth is only 6000 years old?? Yeah, so? Well, that's what they were so proud of going to! Oh, oooooh, really, are you kidding, mom? lol I'm looking forward to next year'd judging. I may have to persuade daughter to put dancing the maypole celebration on her form. Screw the spelling bee and band competitions.

Not necessarily fundie, but I thought of FJ when I saw these girls! lol My daughter had her first 4-H judging on Monday for the sewing competitions. When we were registering, there were 2 girls, evidently from the same church, who had just registered and were filling out the cards for the fashion show. (To wear what they made.) They were dressed in mainstream clothes, even rather stylish, so I hadn't thought much of them. My daughter was filling out her card, and they were handing theirs in. The lady doing the registering asked them about their "accomplishment for the year" section....and this is where I almost lost it. Their accomplishment was going to Kentucky on a mission trip and going to the Creation Museum!! It took every ounce of my being to not begin hysterically laughing. I asked my daughter in the car if she knew what that was. She said what, a sewing museum? lol I told her no, remember the museum the Duggars went to where the cavemen were riding on dinosaurs because the earth is only 6000 years old?? Yeah, so? Well, that's what they were so proud of going to! Oh, oooooh, really, are you kidding, mom? lol I'm looking forward to next year'd judging. I may have to persuade daughter to put dancing the maypole celebration on her form. Screw the spelling bee and band competitions.

Your daughters do Dress Revue? I had a good friend who did that and she was good at it, too. I just did Dog Care and Training. I used to like going to see the Junior Beef Show at the Upstate SC Fair.

ETA: There's a woman cashier at our local Target that always makes me think of Teri Maxwell. The big difference is that this woman looks happy and not repressed at all. I bet she even drinks Pepsi!

The whole family got to experience a fundie encounter today. We were wandering Sam's Club (yes, I know, I feel like a complete ahole for going there, but I also have a mortgage and kids to feed) and I saw the top of some serious hair. Then I saw the rest. Complete, full-on FLDS wave with the tucked-in french braid. Full FLDS dresses. They appeared to be a mother with two teenage daughters. I seriously thought we were being pranked or they were filming some sort of reality show because they were the very first FLDS I have seen in our area of the country. But, no cameras that I could see. There are some polygamists around, but they're NEVER in the traditional FLDS dress. Mennonite families and other fundies frequent our Sam's Club, but FLDS sightings are a whole new level.

I think that door is part if a display of about the effects of sin. The designers thought they'd jazz up the wholesome, child friendly dioramas (like he one of all the sinners trying to escape the flood waters) with a graphic display of all the sinful things they could think of.

It is. We were there a few years ago & this particular room with all it's noises scared the living batcrap out of our 10 year old. :evil:

I saw what you did there. Sooooo naughty (and utterly brilliant!). I'll be chuckling about this all day.

I saw what you did there. Sooooo naughty (and utterly brilliant!). I'll be chuckling about this all day.

The only problem would be that Gothard would find it awkward to orgasm in front of a whole church.

I grew up mainstream Midwestern Lutheran but certainly knew my share of Wisconsin Synod (fundie) Lutherans where women weren't able to vote on church matters. I also was a counselor for several years at two different Girl Scout resident camps and I was a director of a GS day camp. Some of the girls from the GS troop I was a part of in junior high in North Carolina are now huge supporters of American Heritage Girls.

And your friend is right, at least in my experience. It wasn't until I joined Facebook and started friending people from back in my GS counselor days twenty odd years ago that I found out a lot of them had been dating each other (especially since out of a staff of about fifty, there were usually only 5 or fewer men, so there were more choices on the female side). And a lot of them are heathens (Unitarian-Universalists) like me. My boss when I was a director was a lesbian, as were a number of my lead staff. They were all afraid to tell me and it wasn't until halfway through the summer my assistant director spelled it out to me (I have always been so oblivious to people in any relationships). I said cool, let's get back to work, and they were shocked I was so laid back about it. I'm of the belief that just 'cause I married a guy doesn't mean you have to.

Ok not fundie but I am sitting in the parking lot of Willow Creek Community church. The crowd here is giving me anxiety! I am interested to see if my kid was converted yet.

Snarkle, my friend from Girl Scout days who is now into American Heritage Girls is also Wisconsin Synod. But she is a public university grad, has her oldest daughter in public university now, and wears pants and sports cleavage in photos.

and wears pants and sports cleavage in photos.

Lol! It took me a minute to decipher that. I thought there was a new kind of cleavage I hadn't heard of yet. :lol:

]

We did foot washing at the Methodist Church camp I attended in the mid 90's. I tend to be a very private person and also squeamish so this was not my favorite camp activity. I found it creepy, not meaningful.

A few years later when my sister attended camp there they instituted a dress code of one-piece swimming suits for the girls.

Archived