IGNORED

Close Encounters of the Fundie Kind

happy atheist

my husband saw all the fundies pulling into the church car park for tonights service... he saw a bunch of nice mercedes drive in and said "oh, we should join their church and become fundies" - i laughed, because it's hilarious to hear him refer to them as 'fundies' and also to hear him jokingly suggest that we join their cult... haaaaaah.

i then mentioned we would have to get rid of our tv, stop cussing, only side-hug (i then quickly realised we didn't have to sidehug - we're newlyweds!), only collared shirts for him, no shorts. "what if we wanted to go swimming?" - oh, there's no swimming in public places... and i would have to do so in my wholesomewear swimsuit and he in his.

he quickly realised a mercedes is not worth it.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There may be a showdown in Leicester Square in London today.

I walked past a group who had a billboard up saying "Atheists don't exist", which really impressed me as I did not disappear in a puff of logic.

Then further along, I passed a cross-dressing leprechaun - really, he had a bright red wig, a virulent green jacket and was wearing an outfit that looked like a "sexy medieval wench" underneath – who had a sign saying that that the trinity isn't biblical.

No photos, I'm afraid, since I didn't want to get sucked into the crazy on my lunch break.

Some years back, I was approached in a parking lot by a young man who said, "I'm working with a group of young Christians and we're trying to raise money for a retreat." I replied, "I'm working with a group of young Druids and we're trying to raise money to buy our own sacred grove--" and held out my hand to him. HE ACTUALLY GAVE ME A QUARTER. (I put it into the collection basket at church the next Sunday.)

My daughter was performing with a theater group today at the state homeschool conference. I hadn't attended for about five years, right about the time the Vision Forum stuff was getting big (as in, Voddie was the keynote speaker). I was aware of the fundie families back then, but didn't move I those circles so didn't really think much about it.

But after I dropped my middle daughter off this morning, I hung out with my older daughter and people-watched for a bit. I don't generally look at people's faces (just my own psychological tic), but I did glance at the face of every fundie female I saw. The thing that immediately jumped out at me was how pasted on the smiles were. There was very little of what looked like genuine joy. So depressing.

I also noticed that there were a LOT of men in attendance. This is new since the last time I was at this conference. My daughter and I both noticed how the men all looked so normal, while the wives and daughters had on all manner of layers of medium-to-long skirts and leggings, loose clothing, some with head coverings (we debated between ourselves why they had to cover if their headship was right there with them - I thought he was their cover if he was present). We finally started noticing our voices getting a little louder as we got more angry at what we were seeing and left.

Honestly, it was just really upsetting, knowing what really goes on behind the keeping sweet. I had a chance to explain Christian Dominionism to her when we saw a van with a KJV verse about how the nations are just grist for the Lord's mill painted on one of the doors, so I guess something educational came out of it, at any rate.

Edited. What the heck did I type that got auto-corrected to "moldre?" Is that even a word?

I looked at the faculty stuff on Commonwealth Bible College...what the heck is a bus ministry? Most of the staff seem to have that on their credentials.

I looked at the faculty stuff on Commonwealth Bible College...what the heck is a bus ministry? Most of the staff seem to have that on their credentials.

It might be busing disadvantaged kids to church on Sundays. (Children's ministry) Though it seems like they would just say, children's ministry coordinator or something clearer.

wow is that FIVE kids? (maybe one of the little girls is running to a different car)

anyway, i have mad respect for anyone who will put up with that kind of torture lol

i have my hands full with just two kids!

I have 5 kids, but the spacing between mine means that there is a 12 1/2 year age difference between oldest and youngest, with no less than 23 months between any 2 children (averages out to 3 years between kids).

The oldest child in that grouping looks no older than 8...

Here we go. One per week.

3. A fundie mom was holding her newborn and when the baby began to fill her diaper she gasped and said "Oh, I'm sorry ladies. I'm sorry". She was being so inappropriate to allow her baby to fill her pants in public :naughty:. Never mind that no one would have noticed it had she not pointed it out :roll:.

2. This one is short because it's to complicated to unleash right here, but, how many people do you know who answer someone else's personal Fathersday email? I know a former fundie guy who sent his fundie dad a happy fathers day email and it was answered by mom and sisters. :wtf: Any opportunity to draw him back I guess they feel they have to take. Oh, and on top of that they bring up things that they know about him, the implication being that they know what he's up to even if he's not communicating his life in real time to them. And here I thought twitter wasn't godly.

1. Today I bumped into a fundie mom and her middle-schoolaged daughter at a non-fundie function. I had not seen them in over a year. The first time I met the family (at another non-fundie community function) I happened to be in a dress and the Dad began to gush about how great it was to meet other people who wore skirts (like all the time. I get it), I however was not trying to give the impression that I thought skirts were the only female clothes option. Today I was in my jeans. I chatted with the mom shortly ('what's up, blah, blah, blah') and when we were done the guy I was with asked if I had noticed how the daughter, during the whole conversation, couldn't stop looking up and down my non-skirt trying to figure this all out :?.

I live near Oak Park, Michigan. This area is filled with Orthodo Jews. Usually I see them walk around looking hot in full garb. Women wear long skirts with head covering and the men wear freaking suits and hats. However, when my granny and I were driving we saw the saddest thing. A wheel chair bound woman being pushed by her children (all under the age of 6) across a service drive and a bridge. The oldest (age 5) was pushing her while the three others (that looked to be about 4 to 3) were running in every direction around her. Scared the hell out of me. Where in the hell was her husband? There would be no way that I would allow that for my disabled wife.

Guess that's what you have to do to be close to God :roll:

I don't mind it much, to each his/her own, but what really annoys me is the constant gifting of crucifixes, wall hangings, placards and other decor with Christian themes, and I'm not even Christian, I'm an atheist with Hindu parents....There is no way I will display them in my house and no way to make them stop because I'm too afraid to spoil the relationship...

I wish all would consider how they are expressing their views, passions, etc., to others. As a Christian myself, I "get" their desire to reach out to you. That said, reaching out shouldn't be expressed as forcing ON. I think you are extremely gracious to not want to spoil the relationship. YOU are demonstrating to THEM the very grace that they should be extending to you. What a great friend or family member they have in you.

I'm new to the site and y'all are seriously cracking me up. We are a Christian family, and by accounts here, you might consider us Fundie light (though we don't consider ourselves FL at all.) We kind of don't "fit" either side of the Fundie fence (back story there, but I'll leave it at upbringing, personal choices, etc.) I guess we're more like Fundie light meets earthy free spirits? Yeah, that's us, -that'll work.

Okay, my hardcore fundie contribution of the day. So we were researching schooling options for our oldest, for the coming year (yes, we homeschool, and no, we don't believe it's the only or best option for every family or child). Our oldest has attended a classroom setting once a week (full day), for 2 years now. For this coming year, we were again considering options for her. We learned of a very small "school", locally, that uses a particular Christian curriculum. It was FAR from a best case option (hardcore fundie, for one), but we choose to be open to all possibilities as we gather options.

So I was talking with another homeschool parent about this particular option and she pretty much gasped as a reaction. She told me she had been raised in the same "school" in another state, and that the administrators would (....wait for it...) show up at their house :wtf: to see if the school dress code (think fundie "full on") was being carried out at HOME. "They wanted to even see what kind of bathing suits we wore." :pink-shock:

So, there ya go. Um, needless to say, she shut that particular school door for us, thank you very much. :snooty:

I'm new to the site and y'all are seriously cracking me up. We are a Christian family, and by accounts here, you might consider us Fundie light (though we don't consider ourselves FL at all.) We kind of don't "fit" either side of the Fundie fence (back story there, but I'll leave it at upbringing, personal choices, etc.) I guess we're more like Fundie light meets earthy free spirits? Yeah, that's us, -that'll work.

Okay, my hardcore fundie contribution of the day. So we were researching schooling options for our oldest, for the coming year (yes, we homeschool, and no, we don't believe it's the only or best option for every family or child). Our oldest has attended a classroom setting once a week (full day), for 2 years now. For this coming year, we were again considering options for her. We learned of a very small "school", locally, that uses a particular Christian curriculum. It was FAR from a best case option (hardcore fundie, for one), but we choose to be open to all possibilities as we gather options.

So I was talking with another homeschool parent about this particular option and she pretty much gasped as a reaction. She told me she had been raised in the same "school" in another state, and that the administrators would (....wait for it...) show up at their house :wtf: to see if the school dress code (think fundie "full on") was being carried out at HOME. "They wanted to even see what kind of bathing suits we wore." :pink-shock:

So, there ya go. Um, needless to say, she shut that particular school door for us, thank you very much. :snooty:

Welcome! Yeah, "Before we admit you to our school, let us see your kids in their bathing suits" would be a no-go for me too.

Don't know if this was a fundie encounter, as the guy was wearing shorts.

To set it up, this morning, I got an unsweetened tea at the local McDonald's. Got to work, and it was sweet, which I can't drink. This is the second time this week they've done that to me. Last time I got two teas, and one was sweet, one unsweetened. Had to call my son to bring me something to drink for my shift.

Since i had not clocked in yet, I ran back to exchange it, and explained that this was the second time this had happened. (they were closed for a remodel, just opened with a new crew. Never had this problem with them before) I was more than pissed at this point because it was making me late.

They apologized, got me my tea, I tasted it before leaving. While doing this, an older man sidled up next to me, and it took me a second to realize he was speaking to me. The man was going on about what a nice day it was. I commented "Oh, didn't realize you were speaking to me." The next words out of his mouth were "Do you know where you're going for an afterlife." Just looked at the guy, thought of several snarky comments; just answered "I have to leave now" and walked off. What they hell is wrong with people that they think it's acceptable to walk up to a stranger and say something like that to them???

Don't know if this was a fundie encounter, as the guy was wearing shorts.

To set it up, this morning, I got an unsweetened tea at the local McDonald's. Got to work, and it was sweet, which I can't drink. This is the second time this week they've done that to me. Last time I got two teas, and one was sweet, one unsweetened. Had to call my son to bring me something to drink for my shift.

Since i had not clocked in yet, I ran back to exchange it, and explained that this was the second time this had happened. (they were closed for a remodel, just opened with a new crew. Never had this problem with them before) I was more than pissed at this point because it was making me late.

They apologized, got me my tea, I tasted it before leaving. While doing this, an older man sidled up next to me, and it took me a second to realize he was speaking to me. The man was going on about what a nice day it was. I commented "Oh, didn't realize you were speaking to me." The next words out of his mouth were "Do you know where you're going for an afterlife." Just looked at the guy, thought of several snarky comments; just answered "I have to leave now" and walked off. What they hell is wrong with people that they think it's acceptable to walk up to a stranger and say something like that to them???

There are a few weird things in this story. This is one of them:

Had to call my son to bring me something to drink for my shift.

There are a few weird things in this story. This is one of them:

Well, I didn't have any bottled water, as I had stopped to get tea to drink (long day so I needed two). Otherwise I'd have to work in a hot Florida building with no fluids. The water there is from an untreated well. and kinda nasty to drink.

Well, I didn't have any bottled water, as I had stopped to get tea to drink (long day so I needed two). Otherwise I'd have to work in a hot Florida building with no fluids. The water there is from an untreated well. and kinda nasty to drink.

Okay, I was thinking of a normal office building with a water fountain and a soda machine. That somehow your need for McDonalds unsweetened tea necessitated calling your son to purchase for you. My imagination seems to be exaggerating today :)

Welcome! Yeah, "Before we admit you to our school, let us see your kids in their bathing suits" would be a no-go for me too.

IKR? :cray-cray: It made my dh and I laugh (after we shook off the shock, that is.) Thank you for the welcome.

Not sure where this belongs, but because of Free Jinger, I've gotten very sensitized to these types of key phrases. This relates to the tragic story of a toddler left to die in hot car in Georgia. Unlike most instances where it is considered a tragic accident, the father has been charged with homicide. I may be reading too much into this BUT,

Wife stands by Harris

Cooper, who died June 18, was buried Saturday in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

At his funeral, Leanna Harris said she loves her husband and stands by him.

"Am I angry with Ross?" Leanna Harris told a crowd at the funeral. "Absolutely not. It has never crossed my mind. Ross is and was and will be, if we have more children, a wonderful father. Ross is a wonderful daddy and leader for our household."

Apparently both the mother and father had researched hot-car child deaths online prior to the death of their son, but supposedly so that it could never happen to them.

Not sure where this belongs, but because of Free Jinger, I've gotten very sensitized to these types of key phrases. This relates to the tragic story of a toddler left to die in hot car in Georgia. Unlike most instances where it is considered a tragic accident, the father has been charged with homicide. I may be reading too much into this BUT,

Wife stands by Harris

Cooper, who died June 18, was buried Saturday in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

At his funeral, Leanna Harris said she loves her husband and stands by him.

"Am I angry with Ross?" Leanna Harris told a crowd at the funeral. "Absolutely not. It has never crossed my mind. Ross is and was and will be, if we have more children, a wonderful father. Ross is a wonderful daddy and leader for our household."

Apparently both the mother and father had researched hot-car child deaths online prior to the death of their son, but supposedly so that it could never happen to them.

I saw that, and it pinged my fundie-dar too. Such an awful situation. That poor little boy. :(

I had a fundie sighting today on a hike. I am spending my summer in Idaho for work, and acutely aware that I am in a little blue dot (Boise) in a big red state (I come from solidly blue Southern New England). Today I did one of my more challenging hikes here so far, and on my way down passed a group of young women, all in polo shirts and skirts past the knee (some with leggings). And yes, they all had sneakers on (I, myself, was in hiking sandals). It was kind of fitting that the hike I encounter fundies on has a big neon cross at the top, but I'll give them credit for the great exercise. That hike kicked my ass.

I saw that, and it pinged my fundie-dar too. Such an awful situation. That poor little boy. :(

It gets worse. This is what the mother said at the funeral:

While Leanna Harris said she will forever miss her son, she also stated at the funeral that he now wouldn't have to deal with heartbreak, those awkward stages in life or have to deal with middle and high school. She went on to say that she wouldn't bring the toddler back into this "broken world."

This is beyond weird. My fundie-dar is pinging like mad and the crazy meter and WTF gauge are pegged in the red zone. The father will be arraigned soon and I'm hoping we'll get some more solid information then. My heart aches for that sweet child.

Just once, I want to hear the wife say she will never forgive her murderous husband. It would be a refreshing change of pace.

And that quote is really creepy. Their son was a toddler. At what point in the last two or so years did they change their minds from wanting a child to deciding that this world is too horrible to bring a child into? Are they saying they should have never had kids?

That's absolutely horrifying. :shock: I wonder how much is triggered by the husband telling his wife, "You'd better stay on script and say all the right things to support me, or I'll make your life a living hell/beat you savagely/kill you when we get home."

Now I'm wondering if the husband is mentally ill and had delusions about that poor sweet baby being a demon who deserved to die, or something to that effect.

Okay, this is going to be a fun doozy. Two years ago, I started working for a photography company, where I had to travel A LOT. One of my co workers was a young lady around my age and as soon as I met her and heard her speak I thought she might be fundie. We roomed together one night in a motel in Buttfuck, Nebraska. I walked into our room and she was just chilling on her bed, in boxer shorts, reading the bible.

Also that same year I took pictures at her church (for their "school" of like, less than 30 kids). ALL the womenses were in skirts. I felt silly that day because, of course, I had chosen to wear slacks instead of my maxi skirt. 'Twas creeeeeepy. Also one of the staff members asked for a young gentlemen to help me carry my belongings back to my car, and of course one teen boy gladly volunteered. Honestly, kindness from school staff is surprisingly few and far between, so I was grateful of the gesture. As we approached my car, he was flabbergasted to find that I could fit all the photography equipment in it. Lol. And that I can lift heavy shit.

Back to the young lady in question. Soon she will be getting married, and I'm honestly happy for her, as she really does have a genuinely sweet disposition. I'm invited to her wedding, so I will gladly share the experience once it happens!

Also, I want to post a link to their Syrupy Jesus wedding website thingamajigger. But I'm unsure as to whether that violates a FJ no-no. Obviously I would break the link, durr.

Oh also today, in walked into the culvers I work at, none other than some fundies. I got a good look at them while they were deciding what to order. Suddenly I saw it: girls in skirts below their knees, boys in jeans with tucked in tees. Flip flops on all the females, three boys, four girls. But so stylish! The other girls were rather homely though.

Archived