IGNORED

SAHD Writes Anti-Abortion Short Story

GeoBQn

My child is only 10 and got roundly criticised for a piece of slack work she did at school. They have started peer assessment along with teacher assessment. One of her peers wrote *name* I normally look forward to your stories but it looks like this may have taken you five minutes. Which it had. She was upset. I gave her a Mummy cuddle and told her to suck it up. I then told her her friends were being kind because her lack of effort was very disappointing. She re-submitted a piece of work she took her time with and was proud of.

Dude, I'd rather face a FJ barrage than that peer review. Ten year olds are hardcore.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, I'd rather face a FJ barrage than that peer review. Ten year olds are hardcore.

HOLY SHIT and I was going to send her to you to harden her up :lol:

I have to say though that this year is easier in ze evil public education. Being able to appeal on a more even level with your child helps. Her school is pretty small her class is 18 pupils who have grown together. The education system dictates that they have 'problem' children admitted of which there have been a few. The amount of times I go to pick her up and enter the playground to hear from parents OMG THAT child! We deal with it at home and you know what do you expect from a public system? Life is like that. She once came home and told me that a certain girl told her that babies came from C**** I told her that was an anatomically incorrect word and proceeded to explain where and what happened in language age appropriate terms. Two sets of parents have removed their children from the school due to this one pupil. They complained about the headteacher etc. Bleh.

My favourite is now being able to explain 'Star' pupil awards without being disingenuous. 2-3 yrs ago she would be totally outraged that some undeserving child received in her view some undeserved reward. Being able to discuss that praise is an encouragement and between her and I being able to say that will really help said child is really cool. PLUS when she received a recent 'Star' award for 'Writing' she GOT that she was being praised for trying.

Fundies love to express public schooling as a cop out for parents. It is actually way harder than they think. I just choose not to segregate my child from society in general. Unlike them I do not think my influence is absolute or correct but I do my best to balance. It would make my experience of raising a child much easier to have an 'Opinion Clone.'

Or are they just control freaks?

Fundies love to express public schooling as a cop out for parents. It is actually way harder than they think. I just choose not to segregate my child from society in general. Unlike them I do not think my influence is absolute or correct but I do my best to balance. It would make my experience of raising a child much easier to have an 'Opinion Clone.'

Or are they just control freaks?

So true. And I do think they are complete control freaks. My first-grader is experiencing her first fall-out with a little "bff" from Kindergarten. And oh my, it is soooo fucking hard to not be able to fix it for her! It kills me that her feelings have been crushed. But the rational part of me fully understands that this is what she NEEDS to grow as a person. I listen, dry her tears, give a little advice and encouragement, but ultimately it is up to her to handle it and she will walk away with an important life lesson.

It is far more valuable to preach critical thinking and making your own choices than to just expect her to be my little parrot. I think the lack of is what saddens me the most about fundies.

edited for riffle

I have to say, I think she is taking the criticism well. I don't know if at 17 I'd be able to keep it together like she did. She did call us haters, but she is trying to learn from the situation. I find her mother shameful, but I find her to be admirable, even if we don't agree on some issues.

ETA I hope she does polish and rewrite the story. If she wants to write, she should absolutely do it.

I have to say, I think she is taking the criticism well. I don't know if at 17 I'd be able to keep it together like she did. She did call us haters, but she is trying to learn from the situation. I find her mother shameful, but I find her to be admirable, even if we don't agree on some issues.

ETA I hope she does polish and rewrite the story. If she wants to write, she should absolutely do it.

I agree. It seems Haley handled the criticism rather well, and is open to constructive criticism and ideas on how to improve her writing.

Her mother on the other hand....

FREE HALEY!

I'm pretty sure Haley pictures kleenex too. I really think she actually doesn't know the difference between fetal/biological tissue and puffs with lotion. SOTDRT FTW :?

Until I read this thread I always pictured Kleenex! I remember when I was little my mom told me some people think the baby is just tissue. I wondered how they could be so dumb to think a baby looked like wadded up paper. I guess self taught biology at good old SOTDRT forgot to cover that!

My thoughts just went to my own little sister, who is 16. The thing is, English isn't her first language, and she can still write better than this poor girl and other girls who's schooling comes from the SOTDRT.

ETA: Yey. I'm blanket trained!

What this girl really needs is a peer review when it comes to her writing, not just Mommy saying how wonderful and perfect it is. I think she has potential, but she needs that experience of it being ripped to shreds.

I'm pretty sure my sister isn't putting more thought into that story. She hates writing, she just hates science more.

Taking a second look at your sister's story, I can see that it does in fact have a satisfactory ending: an ambiguous one, but a satisfactory one. We don't know what the protagonist will choose to do, but we DO know that she'll feel conflicted either way.

What this girl really needs is a peer review when it comes to her writing, not just Mommy saying how wonderful and perfect it is. I think she has potential, but she needs that experience of it being ripped to shreds.

And not just her siblings either. She needs outside opinions from people who aren't related/friends with her.

And not just her siblings either. She needs outside opinions from people who aren't related/friends with her.

:whistle: I offered to be a beta reader on her blog. Totally sincerely - I really do want to help a young writer out. If she does send me her work, I'll give it a thorough but fair look.

:whistle: I offered to be a beta reader on her blog. Totally sincerely - I really do want to help a young writer out. If she does send me her work, I'll give it a thorough but fair look.

Even my little podunk town has a county writer's guild who welcome anyone of any age/experience.

But what if she's exposed to *gasp* other opinions? As opposed to caricatures of other opinions. Like pro-choicers believing fetuses are tissue. (Which they are. Fetuses are tissue, just as people and animals and every other living thing are tissue. But I think fundies think that "tissue" means uniform blobby stuff. Because who needs to know biology anyway?)

• 2 months later...

Looked up this girl today.... it looks as though she won't rewrite that story. It's been over two months. Poor thing did find out what's wrong with her though, at least part of it. Her gallbladder isn't functioning.

I really, really want to snark on this girl, but I can't quite bring myself to. (She also posted about finding out that she's gluten-intolerant, and I have no idea about the state of her gallbladder)

But... quickie question.

stopandsmelltheroseshere.blogspot.com/2013/03/dont-worry-about-it.html

Why was she talking about taking the SAT or the GED? Did she mean the ACT?

I really, really want to snark on this girl, but I can't quite bring myself to. (She also posted about finding out that she's gluten-intolerant, and I have no idea about the state of her gallbladder)

But... quickie question.

SAT and ACT are basically interchangeable if she were applying to be a college freshman at most schools. I only sat the SAT. It probably makes more sense for her to take the GED test, though, since not having it could make it complicated to be accepted to many schools (at least, I think?).

It is a little weird that she apparently spent a year in school just for SAT prep. It might just be bad phrasing on her part, but that's taking it kind of far.

But... quickie question.

I have no problem snarking on her...

Almost all of my family has a gluten allergy. Right down to three-year-old Michael. I didn't think I had it. I refused to think I was allergic to gluten. Come on! Who wants to give up tasty donuts, or delicious homemade bread, or toast (I love toast!), or cake, or...yeah. The list could go on. I didn't want to give any of it up. I didn't want to admit that I had problems with it.

And isn't that so true with some of the things in life? We don't want to give something up, so God takes us through a situation so that we will? We could have simply given it up early on and spared ourselves, and other people, so many problems and heartache, and whatnot. We would much rather hang on to our junk than give it up and let God give us something better.

If we could simply learn to let go and let God. It's not easy though. We are like children who don't want to go to Disneyland because we are having too much fun making mud pies in the back yard.

Look what God offers in exchange for our junk though! Blessings, and so much more...

Please explain. Your whole family has a gluten allergy yet you "refused" to consider the possibility of an intolerance? I love me some ice cream, but I have a lactose intolerance and... well... it aint worth it. So you would rather be in pain and sick so long as you can eat bread and donuts? Cuz... you'd think that shit wouldnt be in your house if your whole family is allergic... or that you have some thats gluten free...

Now, on to disneyland. Please explain your analogy. Mud pies > disneyland as XXX > Donuts. Since you're studying for the SATs you should be familiar with that format. "Blessings" = not having the shits? :pull-hair:

She's not taking the SATs anymore. She's only taking the GED.

Most logical thing for me to do was to seek God's will and pray about it. So I spent another year in school preparing to take the SAT and praying for God to show me what I was supposed to do.

As the time neared for me to take the SAT test I got to talking to my mom about when I would actually take it. She gave me a few reasons why it wasn't really necessary for me to take the SAT test. She thought I should take the GED test. I really didn't care which one I took, I just needed to know which test I was taking. I was prepared for both so it didn't really matter. We decided on the GED for a couple of different reasons.

Her post about gluten ticks me off. She says her doctor said to go gluten free but why wouldn't she get tested for celiac first. Once you go gluten free there is no way to see if you have celiac without eating gluten again. Also she didn't realize that tortillas have gluten in them!!! She probably was never eating gluten free then because gluten isn't just in obvious foods, it is the hidden things like caramel sauce and salad dressing that you wouldn't think have gluten in them and they do. Refusing because she doesn't want to give up donuts and bread?? What about the damage you are doing to your body? You put yourself at risk for organ damage and cancer by acting stupid and eating gluten. Dumb!! I have celiac disease and am so careful with what I eat and use, even having gluten in my makeup and skin creams can cause me problems.

glad she is trusting Jesus about her future, she should be married off soon and not worrying about work anyway :roll:

I have no problem snarking on her...

Please explain. Your whole family has a gluten allergy yet you "refused" to consider the possibility of an intolerance? I love me some ice cream, but I have a lactose intolerance and... well... it aint worth it. So you would rather be in pain and sick so long as you can eat bread and donuts? Cuz... you'd think that shit wouldnt be in your house if your whole family is allergic... or that you have some thats gluten free...

Now, on to disneyland. Please explain your analogy. Mud pies > disneyland as XXX > Donuts. Since you're studying for the SATs you should be familiar with that format. "Blessings" = not having the shits? :pull-hair:

It's a reference to a cs Lewis quote. He talks about "we are like the child who continues to make mud pies because he cannot imagine what is meant by a holiday at the sea."

It's supposed to be like, we want to keep sinning (mud) when god wants ro give us something better (beach).

It's a faulty analogy, and changing beach to Disney land doesn't help.

She's not taking the SATs anymore. She's only taking the GED.

Um, getting a GED and taking the SAT are pretty distinctly different, and people typically have different goals when they take them. Getting a GED is kind of a baseline qualification for getting most jobs and whatnot, but you don't necessarily need one to get into college. If she is seriously considering college, the SAT would probably be more useful. I'm betting Mom's reasoning behind not having her child take the SAT was based around 1) the fact that she knows her SOTDRT did not adequately prepare her daughter to do well or 2) she would never in a million years encourage her child to go to college because she might immediately become a pot-smoking, hard-drinking, pro-choice liberal slut :roll:

My guess is that her parents explained the tests to her to make them seem like almost the same thing. One is essential to even work in most retail stores or food service. The other helps you get into colleges that are not a community college. In my area, you have to pass your GED exam at Community College in order to even take college classes.

Mom and Dad never want her to go to college, and are setting her up to fail if she ever decides to do so.

Um, getting a GED and taking the SAT are pretty distinctly different, and people typically have different goals when they take them. Getting a GED is kind of a baseline qualification for getting most jobs and whatnot, but you don't necessarily need one to get into college. If she is seriously considering college, the SAT would probably be more useful. I'm betting Mom's reasoning behind not having her child take the SAT was based around 1) the fact that she knows her SOTDRT did not adequately prepare her daughter to do well or 2) she would never in a million years encourage her child to go to college because she might immediately become a pot-smoking, hard-drinking, pro-choice liberal slut :roll:

Yup... cuz thats exactly what happened to me! (says the hardly drinks, never touched weed, pro choice libertarian)

Archived