IGNORED

SAHD Writes Anti-Abortion Short Story

GeoBQn

The ACT and the SAT serve the same purpose (pretty much), depending on what university you want to get into. Right?

And... GEDs are normally obtained by people without a high school diploma. Am I wrong? I know quite a few independent homeschooling families who just shrug and have their kids get their GEDs, and I'm assuming that's what this girl is doing.

Wouldn't you want to take them both, if you're thinking about going to college? They're not just interchangeable.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ACT and the SAT serve the same purpose (pretty much), depending on what university you want to get into. Right?

And... GEDs are normally obtained by people without a high school diploma. Am I wrong? I know quite a few independent homeschooling families who just shrug and have their kids get their GEDs, and I'm assuming that's what this girl is doing.

Wouldn't you want to take them both, if you're thinking about going to college? They're not just interchangeable.

Pretty much. If you're going to an in-state college, you might only need the ACT. Out-of-state schools would want the SAT, and I think some universities might require the SAT regardless of where you live.

Now, if she was going to start at a community college, she could get by with just her GED, but she'd still need an assessment test of some sort for class placement purposes. I started this year and if you didn't have the ACT/SAT or you took them more than five years ago, you took the COMPASS.

ETA: I am not from the SOTDRT, but there was a gap of quite a few years between HS and college for me, and Gen Ed courses are cheaper at the CC. I'll be transferring to a four-year school after I get my Associate's. ;)

This. It's the same argument pro-forced birthers use on people with children that are pro-choice. "How can you have children and still be for abortion?!!". Uh, because I was able to make the choice to have my child. Just because I believe abortion should be legal does not imply that I think every pregnant women needs to have one. :roll:

This argument always baffles me. Being pregnant made me more prochoice than ever. No one should have to endure that shit if they don't want to. Pregnancy is not 100% fun times and rainbows. I can't imagine going through with it when you have not made a choice to do so.

Pretty much. If you're going to an in-state college, you might only need the ACT. Out-of-state schools would want the SAT, and I think some universities might require the SAT regardless of where you live.

Now, if she was going to start at a community college, she could get by with just her GED, but she'd still need an assessment test of some sort for class placement purposes. I started this year and if you didn't have the ACT/SAT or you took them more than five years ago, you took the COMPASS.

ETA: I am not from the SOTDRT, but there was a gap of quite a few years between HS and college for me, and Gen Ed courses are cheaper at the CC. I'll be transferring to a four-year school after I get my Associate's. ;)

Ahh. Thank you very much! I only needed the ACT for where I'm going (it's in-state), and while I do want to go to graduate school after this, that's a whole 'nother shebang, so I didn't pay much attention to the SATs ... ;)

And I had no idea about community colleges using the GED. You learn new things every day!

(Lol, no worries. I'm actually from a SOTDRT (except, you know, I actually learned stuff); and community colleges are very wonderful things.)

This isn't quite accurate. The ACT is accepted by all four-year colleges/universities now, I think. And it's worth noting that increasingly schools are requiring neither for most first-year admissions.

/flies back to the land of people who had to recently deal with standardized testing practices

Archived