IGNORED

Bates Courtship

singsingsing

You can register for ANYTHING at Target or Wal-Mart. Life in a Shoe's oldest daughter registered for Nutella and Sharpies. I registered for tequila on my Target baby registry. ;)

Wait, your Target sells booze!?!

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A girl like Erin is going to be married no matter what (in my old evangelical Baptist church, she would have been engaged by 19, the guys would have been drooping over her!), and the same for Chad....so I would rather see them married to someone that they are legitimately attracted too and enjoy being around then someone that Daddy finds and they only see each other twice before the wedding. The Bates and Paines have been friends for a few years, so there has been more exposure than with normal fundie relationships.

I get that. And I hope that they can figure out a partnership that works for them, since, barring some major philosophical shifts, divorce won't be an option. But IMHO, they're working within a marriage framework that is inherently dysfunctional--it's based on prejudice and fear, both between husband and wife and between parents and kids. So no matter how happy they are with each other, those values are what will define their relationships with each other and their future children. That's why I can't get particularly excited or mushy when I see fundies, even FJ's pet fundies, tie the knot. Is this guy a "better" mate than Taliban Tony or the PP? Probably. But "better" is a relative term.

I think that a lot of them are complete fakes....doll parts and movie makeup, it wouldn't be hard, I could probably do it myself.

I was walking through campus last semester on my way to my calc midterm, and I was confronted by a 5 foot tall picture of a decapitated head of a fetus that looked to be around 30-32 weeks old. I delivered my child at 34 weeks. It took all of my self control not to punch that asshole holding the sign in the head, and I went on to get a C- on an exam I had spent hours revising for.

I HATE those GD pictures.

You can register for ANYTHING at Target or Wal-Mart. Life in a Shoe's oldest daughter registered for Nutella and Sharpies. I registered for tequila on my Target baby registry. ;)

My husband did that as a joke :) He also registered for baby stuff to mess with his parents. It was hilarious to get that phone call :twisted:

I get that. And I hope that they can figure out a partnership that works for them, since, barring some major philosophical shifts, divorce won't be an option. But IMHO, they're working within a marriage framework that is inherently dysfunctional--it's based on prejudice and fear, both between husband and wife and between parents and kids. So no matter how happy they are with each other, those values are what will define their relationships with each other and their future children. That's why I can't get particularly excited or mushy when I see fundies, even FJ's pet fundies, tie the knot. Is this guy a "better" mate than Taliban Tony or the PP? Probably. But "better" is a relative term.

I guess I just see it as "It could be soo much worse" and I'm happy that the Bates have let Erin pick her own husband. Plus, I'm a romantic, I'm happy when people find love. I think that it is good for the soul.

I cannot wait for the wedding on this one. Erin's hair will be six feet high. Can't imagine the amount of necessary hair spray.

We should send her a "bump it"

EHPYPOo-oDQ

Oh my god, people buy a giant fork to hide in their hair? WHY

I haven't got anything like enough hair to do that, but if I did I still think I would steer clear of "giant fork zone"... :shock:

Oh my god, people buy a giant fork to hide in their hair? WHY

I haven't got anything like enough hair to do that, but if I did I still think I would steer clear of "giant fork zone"... :shock:

They were really popular in my part of the south a couple of years ago, and yes I used one. I actually thought it looked good. Typical Southener. The higher the hair the closer to God. Slinking away in shame now.

It just looks so, well, painful! Does it not hurt when you put it in? And what happens when you fall asleep with one in?

If you shake your head, does it fall out, or do the little fangs hold it on?

(I think big hair can look really nice, though not my style, but I find those things terrifying)

It just looks so, well, painful! Does it not hurt when you put it in? And what happens when you fall asleep with one in?

If you shake your head, does it fall out, or do the little fangs hold it on?

(I think big hair can look really nice, though not my style, but I find those things terrifying)

My momma always said that pretty hurts. Never fell asleep in one cause those damn things are not comfy if you have thin hair. They feel kind of heavy and if you move too quick they will shift no matter how much hairspray you use. Maybe they worked better for chicks with thicker hair. I still tease the hell out of my hair and am content with that.

My mum says the same thing "Il faut souffrir pour etre belle" Since being beautiful was never going to be my fate, I have freely ignored it ;)

When you say tease hair, how do you do it? *intrigued*.

My mum says the same thing "Il faut souffrir pour etre belle" Since being beautiful was never going to be my fate, I have freely ignored it ;)

Backcomb it. Lift the hair and comb towards the scalp.

41CaEzgSaAQ

Wow! Thanks, guys! It's a whole new world of hairdressing! :o

I thought it looked very nice and attractive (er except for the last one, that's scary. I imagine a small kitten living in it). So that's how it's done!

I shave my head, it's normally a no.1 in the summer and a no.2 in the winter. I sometimes let it grow out a bit, but it doesn't usually get much more than a no.3 before I start getting irritated. It's a no.1 at the moment due to me not checking the blade which was on (as you started, so must you finish) and I have some intriguing bald spots :lol: Luckily my hair grows fast...but this means I don't know what people do with long hair, and I thank you for your explanations!

RE: hair teasing/backcombing: Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!

The only time I did that was when I was getting dreadlocks, and those needed to be cut off when I was sick of them. Is teasing less of a commitment for fine straight hair?

The only time I did that was when I was getting dreadlocks, and those needed to be cut off when I was sick of them. Is teasing less of a commitment for fine straight hair?

It's definitely less of a commitment for me. A lot of days I do my hair like this for work and it takes a little backcombing. I use a wide-tooth comb to loosen it before I shower and never have any lingering issues. photo credit: http://www.keikolynn.com/

5957712081_e28c771621_b.jpg

Volume. I did it for cheerleading competitions in high school since we needed big poofy curled ponytails and my hair is thin and straight. It was very easy for me to comb it out.

I don't. I have pretty thick hair though, and a lot of it so my hair generally stays in whatever position I tell it to.

It's definitely less of a commitment for me. A lot of days I do my hair like this for work and it takes a little backcombing. I use a wide-tooth comb to loosen it before I shower and never have any lingering issues. photo credit: http://www.keikolynn.com/

5957712081_e28c771621_b.jpg

I do something similar with my hair sometimes....it's not that long, right above my shoulders, and I back comb too. I don't have a problem with it tangling or anything, and I have pretty frizzy hair....I also don't use any hairspray.

I used to be able to get my hair to do that without even backcombing (to a degree... I could get a little bump but then again why would you want it to be super high anyway?). It used to be a lot thicker though.

Archived