IGNORED

Jim Bob's bike analogy

merrily

I found this on tumblr, don't think it was discussed here. But wtf?? :shock:

“To explain the importance of purity (saving yourself for the one God has made for you), I [Jim Bob] told the other children, “Imagine that your parents are going to surprise with and give you a brand new bike for Christmas. Two weeks before Christmas, they buy your bike and hide it in the strange shed in the back yard. But then the boy next door sneaks into the shed and borrows your new bike; he stunt rides it up and down the back alley. On Christmas morning, your parents lead you out to the shed to reveal the special gift they bought for you, and as they open the door and say ‘Surprise!’ they’re just as surprised as you are. You’re all shocked to see that the bike looks like it’s been thrown off a cliff. The front fender is missing, and the front tire is warped so it rubs on the frame. It’s dirty, the paint is all scratched and chipped, and the seat has a big rip in it. IT looks worse than something you would have bought at a garage sale. I’m sure you would still be grateful for the bike, and you would have fun riding it, but it won’t be in the condition your parents hoped and dreamed it would be when you received it. You would miss out on a lot of enjoyment they meant for you to have.â€

-Jim Bob Duggar- A Love That Multiplies

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like a bike only gets like that from using it unsafely, having sex with more than one partner can only cause problems if you didnt do it safely. If the previous bike user just rode it safely and kept it clean, and the previous partner didnt have any STD's and used a condom, it should be fine and be good as new.

Dear JimBob,

Women are not bikes, cows, flowers, aspirin, legos, or any other objects. We are people and would like to be treated as such.

Sincerely,

A human woman

Dear JimBob,

Women are not bikes, cows, flowers, aspirin, legos, or any other objects. We are people and would like to be treated as such.

Sincerely,

A human woman

Of that entire bs analogy, the "huge rip in the seat" really rubs me wrong. Fundie boys need to rip their own seats.

Perhaps he should teach his children how to take care of themselves better. He did a shitty job with josh and I'm guessing no better with the others.

Just because a woman chose to have sex doesn't mean they've been "ridden hard" you douche.

it won’t be in the condition your parents hoped and dreamed it would be when you received it. You would miss out on a lot of enjoyment they meant for you to have

This analogy is confusing. Are the parents representative of the person giving their virginity away? Is that why there's hoping and dreaming about the state of perfection involved? Or is the person giving their virginity away represented by the bike? Because if so, no parent should be hoping and wishing about the condition of anything. The state of my virginity or lack thereof is not the concern of my parents, thank you!

Not to mention that the bike didn't consent to anything. The bike didn't creep around the corner of the shed door, flash a provocative tire and say "ride me!" When you compare a living, breathing person to an object, you make them incredibly passive and helpless in the situation- which I know is what they want from girls in general, but I thought even fundies wanted girls to be assertive in saying no to sexual advances? (And always no. God forbid you ever even hint at wanting it.)

Lastly, this makes it sound horrible, horrible things are going to happen if you have sex. Look at the state of that bike! Are they expecting that premarital sex will make your legs fall off or something? The whole premise is so ridiculous.

Just like a bike only gets like that from using it unsafely, having sex with more than one partner can only cause problems if you didnt do it safely. If the previous bike user just rode it safely and kept it clean, and the previous partner didnt have any STD's and used a condom, it should be fine and be good as new.

:clap: Someone else riding the bike doesn't change the condition or value of the bike. At first I didn't understand where the analogy was going since you can't really tell if someone else rode your bike safely. Also someone should tell Jim Bob that women aren't objects or possessions to be had, since he seems to think that about his daughters.

Actually, a horse would be a better analagy. Most people do not expect to ride a horse that has never been ridden before. (Except the folks that train horses) What people want is a strong, muscular and flexible horse that understands the needs and movements of the person riding it.

I am not saying that women are like horses, but rather that people may be compared to horses. Both partners will be better if they have both learned how to ride.

So I guess this is one time we shouldn't buy used and save the difference, eh Jim Bob?

The part about the parents in this little analogy almost makes it even creepier to me than the stupid apple analogy. When you think they can't get any grosser regarding their children's sex lives...

Is this an analogy about having sex before marriage? It is a weird one. First, you can't own your spouse like you can a bike. Your parents don't give you the bride/groom because they don't own them either. But most of all, your spouse is NOT an inanimate object. How do they not understand how offensive these types of analogies are?

Edited to add: My mother always used the analogy about buying the milk for free. It was one that I deeply resented. I could not understand why my virginity was an issue. If I had sex, I would not suddenly stop being me and turn into some worthless piece of trash. Not only that, but any guy that married me just to get sex was not someone that I wanted to marry. So, almost to spite my mom, I made certain that I had premarital sex.

Wow, he seriously canNOT get over Michelle's "baggage", can he?

Speaking of Michelle, as Jim Bob's "bike" she must be pretty raggedy by now, no? :? They come up with some really shitty analogies. That one's worse than the whole "pieces of your heart" nonsense.

If he thought Michelle was such "damaged goods" then WHY THE FUCK did he marry her at all? He did, and then he's been flinging this shit at her and their children ever since. If virginity is All Fucking That then why marry a non-virgin at all?

So I guess he would frown about my amazing find at Goodwill a few months ago... I got one of my girls an awesome bike that she loves and it was $5 and just needed one new tire tube and a bit of hosing off. That same bike new would've been a good $80 and it would've eventually needed a new tire tube and hosing off anyhow.

Analogy FAIL. Women's bodies, if treated well, do not get "worn out" - not being inanimate objects...

This from Mr. buy used save the difference? The man who brags about never buying a new vehicle suddenly hate used bikes?

Of course people aren't objects with owners. Bikes don't have have relationships. They can't trust, love, and consent. The biggest problem with those who buy into Jim Bob's analogy is they can't differentiate people from objects.

But but but.....I thought it was best to buy used and save the difference?

Okay, I even grossed myself out on that one.

Women are not objects, and making analogies about bikes and legos is stupid and shows just how little consideration he really gives. Gross.

If he thought Michelle was such "damaged goods" then WHY THE FUCK did he marry her at all? He did, and then he's been flinging this shit at her and their children ever since. If virginity is All Fucking That then why marry a non-virgin at all?

Michelle married Jim Bob at 17, and they dated for a while beforehand, so chances are she WAS a virgin when they married. The "baggage" he refers to is most likely her kissing other boyfriends -- giving away pieces of her heart.

Michelle married Jim Bob at 17, and they dated for a while beforehand, so chances are she WAS a virgin when they married. The "baggage" he refers to is most likely her kissing other boyfriends -- giving away pieces of her heart.

Don't forget that the little whore was flaunting herself at her married, older neighbor when she mowed the lawn in shorts and a bikini top.

The bike can't think. The bike can't give consent. The bike has no control over its own safety and protection. FAIL, Jim Bob.

It disgusts me that fundie parents believe their daughters' virginity belongs to them until they get married. I'm sorry but if my dad told my boyfriend that, I would have felt insulted by it. It's my body, my virginity-no parent should own it. It's one thing if parents feel the need to give their children the talk regarding sex but it's another when they state a daughter's virginity belongs to the father. It's disgusting and completely repulsive.

Jim Boob can sugar coat any way he wants, it's just as revolting to know he owns his older daughters virginity. Bleh, brain bleach, now. :angry-banghead:

We live in a abstinence only education state for public schools. They played that stupid flower game this year in 7th grade where they pass around a flower and all take a petal and then at the end the flower is supposed to represent what you are if you get married after sex.

Anyhow, I had to correct this with my son, tell him he owns his sexuality and that having sex is not innately damaging...no matter how many people you have sex with. And that no girl owes him her virginity either.

Archived