IGNORED

Jim Bob's bike analogy

merrily

I teach in the state of TN. One of the hardest things I had to do (this is my first year) was teach Romeo and Juliet to a class of 9th graders without pointing out that one of the reasons Romeo wants to marry Juliet is to have sex (and the reason he sneaks into her house after they are married). I also showed the kids the movie--since it helps them understand the plot better--and got an angry email from a parent who felt that premarital kissing, cross dressing, and "private bedroom activities," were grossly inappropriate for 14 years olds.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I teach in the state of TN. One of the hardest things I had to do (this is my first year) was teach Romeo and Juliet to a class of 9th graders without pointing out that one of the reasons Romeo wants to marry Juliet is to have sex (and the reason he sneaks into her house after they are married). I also showed the kids the movie--since it helps them understand the plot better--and got an angry email from a parent who felt that premarital kissing, cross dressing, and "private bedroom activities," were grossly inappropriate for 14 years olds.

I am so sorry on behalf of the not crazy Tn parents

URGH!!!!!!!! Jim-Bob makes me stabby! I cannot stand these purity analogies! Like everyone else said, imaging that they are dirty and unclean and not "special" enough having been "used" is just disgusting.

It makes me wonder if they would think this of a rape or abused woman? :x

In eighth grade my son will have to detail what he wants in a spouse and write a letter to a friend saying what he thinks real love is.

Thus why many parents voluntarily remove their kids from some of these programs.

I pulled my kids from a state testing program after reading the potential essays that they were to write. Sometimes it's a good idea to have the students think about it, but having to turn it in to be graded by teachers or read by strangers isn't the right thing to do in all cases.

When it is called 100% it becomes the gold standard.

It kills me that a religion based on the idea that a virgin gave birth teaches that abstinence is the only 100% way to prevent pregnancy.

Have you not read your Bible? Not even abstinence stops pregnancy!!!

Thus why many parents voluntarily remove their kids from some of these programs.

I pulled my kids from a state testing program after reading the potential essays that they were to write. Sometimes it's a good idea to have the students think about it, but having to turn it in to be graded by teachers or read by strangers isn't the right thing to do in all cases.

I have asked him what he wants to do. He does not want to be pulled out because that draws attention to himself. I want to respect his feelings on this.

Parenting is tough sometimes :)

Okay, I understand what you're saying now. The fact is that abstinence IS the only 100% effective method of preventing both pregnancy and STDs.

Well, no.

I was not currently sexually active when I was raped - so I was not on any form of hormonal birth control. My rapist also did not use a condom (when I confronted him afterwards about no protection he said "i just assumed you were on the pill!). I had to go through a host of STD tests and had a very anxious few weeks waiting for the pregnancy test. There are ways a woman can become pregnant or get an STD without actually making the decision to have sex. So, no abstinence is not a 100% effective method for preventing pregnancy and STDs. Sometimes we don't have the choice to get raped.

Well, no.

I was not currently sexually active when I was raped - so I was not on any form of hormonal birth control. My rapist also did not use a condom (when I confronted him afterwards about no protection he said "i just assumed you were on the pill!). I had to go through a host of STD tests and had a very anxious few weeks waiting for the pregnancy test. There are ways a woman can become pregnant or get an STD without actually making the decision to have sex. So, no abstinence is not a 100% effective method for preventing pregnancy and STDs. Sometimes we don't have the choice to get raped.

I am so very sorry Bisky. But thanks for pointing that out too.

I have asked him what he wants to do. He does not want to be pulled out because that draws attention to himself. I want to respect his feelings on this.

Parenting is tough sometimes

It is indeed. For my kids it was a rather close call on being pulled out vs going with the flow. In the end because my kids talked about both not wanting to have to write on most of the potential essay topics plus my willingness to let them opt out lead to many of their friends being allowed to opt out. State-wide while we couldn't get the test pulled beforehand, parents pulling the kids lead to the test being dropped.

It is indeed. For my kids it was a rather close call on being pulled out vs going with the flow. In the end because my kids talked about both not wanting to have to write on most of the potential essay topics plus my willingness to let them opt out lead to many of their friends being allowed to opt out. State-wide while we couldn't get the test pulled beforehand, parents pulling the kids lead to the test being dropped.

i can't imagine people objecting here. People love it...it is so wholesome and all. And it keeps kids innocent..

I am so very sorry Bisky. But thanks for pointing that out too.

Thanks. I just really hate the "if you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex" mantra given many of us don't have choices about "having sex." It ONLY that were the case.

I met my current SO about 5 or 6 months after it happened. I had gone through all the STD tests except HIV. Most places at that time recommend waiting 6 months or so after a possible exposure. It was also a test my dr's recommended that I go to an anonymous clinic so the test wasn't on my official health record. The very new boyfriend offered to get tested with me, which I still think was an amazing gesture. That's not the only reason I married him, but the fact he did that to help me feel less freaked out helped.

Treemom, I understand the southern mentality. That's tough.

Bisky, what a find and how compassionate.

We learned abstinence is the only 100% effective method of birth control.

Except if you're the Virgin Mary. Then it doesn't matter. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I so want to be riled about about this but I am howling with laughter. What an idiot. Righteous indignation will come later I am sure.

You pointed out another one of my problems with this...the assumptions about sex.

I hate that I was never taught about any kind of sex I would ever have in sex-ed. I didn't know what two women did together that counted as sex, and I didn't know how I could have safe sex because sex ed was basically taught as if someone like me didn't exist in a 7th grade classroom. I was terrified of asking questions, but I wonder if the teachers would have answered them. I would love to see a sex ed class that mentions that some men have sex with men and some women have sex with women, and here's how they can be safe. I thought the sex ed I got was good, and certainly much better than abstinence only, but I still felt invisible and ignored in my grade 6-10 sex ed classes.

I hate that I was never taught about any kind of sex I would ever have in sex-ed. I didn't know what two women did together that counted as sex, and I didn't know how I could have safe sex because sex ed was basically taught as if someone like me didn't exist in a 7th grade classroom. I was terrified of asking questions, but I wonder if the teachers would have answered them. I would love to see a sex ed class that mentions that some men have sex with men and some women have sex with women, and here's how they can be safe. I thought the sex ed I got was good, and certainly much better than abstinence only, but I still felt invisible and ignored in my grade 6-10 sex ed classes.

I am sorry about that.

Aside from all of the sex ed curriculum talk -

When I read the Boob's analogy about the boy stealing the bike, it caused me to think of rape, as the boy took what was not his for his own pleasure.

As a rape survivor myself, it make me wonder if I instantly became "damaged goods" - just like the bike.

I fucking hate you, Boob. You (and people like you) are the reason so many women do NOT report being assaulted.

Hugs to you, Bisky.

Threeanddone, you mean he should have asked the owner of the bike, don't you? ;)

That actually reminds me of an amazing blog post. I'm going to go an see if I have posting permission yet. Wish me luck!

I'm back, and I need 57 more posts before I can share. Waaaaaah.

Anyone who thinks Boob is a better person than Smugs, please reconsider your theory. He is more scary because he is less upfront about being a slut shaming, slave keeping arsehole. And Michelle's baggage again. :roll: who knew. He shames his own wife in front of the kids to get the kids stay virgins. "Your mother was a used bike, ridden by many people and wrecked when I found it, but good sport as I am, I have taken her in and I am living with the thought of how dirty she was before I saved her." WTF? What does he think those stuck up brats will think about their mother?! Do not let that toothy grin fool you. He is a slut shamer and a misogynist. Comparing to women to a bike? Bikes are OBJECTS. Arsehole, women outside fundieland have more brains than you.

And as to legos? No arsehole, the same, you do not just put the pointy part to where it goes. I really do not envy their sex life.

As a rape survivor myself, it make me wonder if I instantly became "damaged goods" - just like the bike.

SHIT! NO! Forget it! This theory came from the arse of an insecure, mean idiot. Come on, do I need to shake your shoulders hard? Forget it! Rapist and rapist supporters like Boob are the damaged goods.

I am sorry about that.

It did suck, and it's something that took me a long time to move past...one of the contributing factors to why I felt in middle/highschool that there was something wrong with me. I hate when people say 12 years old is too young to ever say the word gay...a lot of people know they're gay at 12, just like a lot of people know they're straight at the same age. And a lot less people would be confused about it if adults stopped pretending it didn't exist. One of my goals for 2013 is to join the activism that's been happening around getting more inclusive sex ed, because even though I'm still young myself, I want to help make things better for the children.

It did suck, and it's something that took me a long time to move past...one of the contributing factors to why I felt in middle/highschool that there was something wrong with me. I hate when people say 12 years old is too young to ever say the word gay...a lot of people know they're gay at 12, just like a lot of people know they're straight at the same age. And a lot less people would be confused about it if adults stopped pretending it didn't exist. One of my goals for 2013 is to join the activism that's been happening around getting more inclusive sex ed, because even though I'm still young myself, I want to help make things better for the children.

I was talking to my kid about it in kindergarten. I think I over did it since in third grade he apologized to me for being straight.

But since we live where we live I wanted to make sure he neither was bullied because he was gay or bullied anyone because they were gay. He is a good kid thouGh, I got lucky with him on that I think.

You know this really makes me wonder WTF is wrong with Michelle? More than once Dim Bulb has hinted at her being damaged goods regardless of whether she was a virgin or not when they married simply because she wasn't raised with the overboard modesty standards that Jim Bob feels are so important. I'm considering one of two options at this point the woman has no self-esteem and has been chugging the Gothard koolaid for so long she's completely bstshit, or she's too stupid to realize when she's being insulted.

As for abstinence only education I remember how damned ridiculous it can be when I was in 10th grade they were still discussing getting your first period while we were sitting in class with two heavily pregnant classmates.

And I guess the grossest part is that you know he thinks of his own daughters this way, which is just disgusting.

Yeah, comparing his daughters to this analogy is vomit worthy.

Archived