IGNORED

Jim Bob's bike analogy

merrily

The bike can't think. The bike can't give consent. The bike has no control over its own safety and protection. FAIL, Jim Bob.

Seems like not thinking, not having the ability to consent and having no control of their own safety and protection is exactly what Jim Bob wants for his daughters.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found this on tumblr, don't think it was discussed here. But wtf?? :shock:

That vagina is yours to ruin, son! Don't let anyone else take your fun!

The bike analogy is an epic fail. A woman has her own ideas and free will just like men. It doesn't matter how much sexy time you have, a person is never damaged goods. They have experiences that make you the person you are and develop a moral sense to decide what is right.

The bike analogy is an epic fail. A woman has her own ideas and free will just like men. It doesn't matter how much sexy time you have, a person is never damaged goods. They have experiences that make you the person you are and develop a moral sense to decide what is right.

:text-yeahthat:

We live in a abstinence only education state for public schools. They played that stupid flower game this year in 7th grade where they pass around a flower and all take a petal and then at the end the flower is supposed to represent what you are if you get married after sex.

This is what passes as sex ed????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I can't.

We live in a abstinence only education state for public schools. They played that stupid flower game this year in 7th grade where they pass around a flower and all take a petal and then at the end the flower is supposed to represent what you are if you get married after sex.

Wow. Just...wow. They are seriously allowed to go beyond just teaching "Abstinence is best" and can go right to the slut shaming? That's just terrible. :(

This is what passes as sex ed????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I can't.

The game we have come to refer to as AIDS ball was worse.

There is some of the mechanics, but most of that was in 5th grade. Now they mostl moralize virginity.

Wow. Just...wow. They are seriously allowed to go beyond just teaching "Abstinence is best" and can go right to the slut shaming? That's just terrible. :(

This is standard in abstinence only education. Moralizing virginity....the way Jim Bob did with the bike analogy...is the logical outcome of abstinence only ed.

I need to find the link to our districts curriculum.

Atheists can slut shame too.

Yeah, the moralizing and what-not isn't supposed to be explicitly religiously based (don't know if it is, indeed, religion free). Blah on all of it and President Bush who directed federal money towards it. And a special boo to school districts inflicting this on children

To answer the question about church and state, yes the people who are driving this are predominately conservative Christian I am not sure I can claim the curriculum violates the establishment clause.

What it does violate is facts and sense.

Just reading the curriculum again makes me mad. Like this

+ Prevention (How to NOT get HIV or AIDS)  Two healthy behaviors must be practiced to ensure

that HIV is not transmitted:

 1. NEVER use IV drugs

 2. ABSTAIN from sexual intercourse until marriage to a partner who is also HIV free.

Except you know abstaining until marriage to a partner who is not HIV positive is not actually a prevention of transmission.

Just reading the curriculum again makes me mad.

I just skimmed through a bunch of it, and it seems just nuts. :( They say in the 8th grade materials something like "Abstaining from sexual activity is the wisest course..." but of course nothing about what to do if that "wisest" course is not followed. I think it's the moralizing undertone that really bothers me. I can't imagine how some children feel who are sitting in those classes hearing virginity held up as a state of perfection when they might have voluntarily lost their virginity or have been raped or molested. :( I'm sure they are made to feel like that "ripped bicycle seat" that Jim Boob conjures up.

Treemom, what is your understanding of what happens if children ask questions? Are teachers allowed to answer them, or are they just shut down or told to go ask their parents (e.g. if a child brings up condoms or other contraception)?

I find a lot of fault with the "comprehensive" sex ed in California public schools, but it's apparently a damned sight better than what's on offer in other states. :( And there are always several kids whose parents make them opt out of the course each year (or so my daughter has told me).

I really dislike ANY analogy about women and sex, on both sides. I hate these generalizations - on the one side women are passive objects who are irrevocably damaged and made worthless if they allow themselves to be 'defrauded' before their wedding night. But on the other side, if a woman chooses to wait for marriage (or commitment, or some other criteria) then she is not experienced enough, her sexuality is a joke, and it's her fault for not getting more practice.

Stop shaming women for their sexuality, whether they choose to sleep with many people, never sleep with anyone, or whatever else in between. We are talking about women's choice here. Do what is right for you and stop demanding that all other women act the same. I honestly think it's a defence mechanism or something - if someone acts like their choice is the only right choice, they'll feel better about it. Own your choices and your sexuality and stop worrying about everyone else. The opposite of fundie sexual repression isn't 'all you women get out there are have more sex, more often'; it's, 'make the choices that are right for you, and don't let anyone pressure you conform to some ideal that you don't believe in - whether it's the ideal of purity, or the ideal of making sure you're an experienced and skilled lover by the time you meet your spouse.'

Also, Jim Bob Duggar is a creep.

Just reading the curriculum again makes me mad. Like this

+ Prevention (How to NOT get HIV or AIDS)  Two healthy behaviors must be practiced to ensure

that HIV is not transmitted:

 1. NEVER use IV drugs

 2. ABSTAIN from sexual intercourse until marriage to a partner who is also HIV free.

Except you know abstaining until marriage to a partner who is not HIV positive is not actually a prevention of transmission.

WTH?! How is this considered real education? Do you know if the teacher who has to teach this is supportive of this too? If not, can s/he "expand" on this to include reality?

In grade nine I went to an alternative high school. It was a small program, and most of the kids there had been kicked out of their 'normal' schools for fighting, breaking rules, etc. We all had to take a mandatory life skills class, and it was awesome. Not only did we get in depth teaching about healthy and abusive relationships, we got comprehensive sex ed. We did learn that abstinence is the only 100% effective method of birth control, but then we learned about every other method. The most effective thing they did to teach STD prevention was this game where we all had vials of liquid. One person in the class had an 'STD'. We went around and mixed our liquid (lol) with two other people in the class. By the end of the class, we all had the STD. Definitely an effective way to teach the importance of safe sex.

I just skimmed through a bunch of it, and it seems just nuts. :( They say in the 8th grade materials something like "Abstaining from sexual activity is the wisest course..." but of course nothing about what to do if that "wisest" course is not followed. I think it's the moralizing undertone that really bothers me. I can't imagine how some children feel who are sitting in those classes hearing virginity held up as a state of perfection when they might have voluntarily lost their virginity or have been raped or molested. :( I'm sure they are made to feel like that "ripped bicycle seat" that Jim Boob conjures up.

Treemom, what is your understanding of what happens if children ask questions? Are teachers allowed to answer them, or are they just shut down or told to go ask their parents (e.g. if a child brings up condoms or other contraception)?

I find a lot of fault with the "comprehensive" sex ed in California public schools, but it's apparently a damned sight better than what's on offer in other states. :( And there are always several kids whose parents make them opt out of the course each year (or so my daughter has told me).

I really don't know. I have encouraged my son to answer the questions as they are wanting them answered because they are graded and part of his science grade.

I can ask him...but I don't think the 6th and 7th graders really ask many questions. I think this age is usually embarassed.

WTH?! How is this considered real education? Do you know if the teacher who has to teach this is supportive of this too? If not, can s/he "expand" on this to include reality?

No. They can not expand and they can't not teach anything either.

I am certain my son's 6th grade science teacher probably agreed with this. He was the schools Bible Club sponsor.

Not sure about his 7th grade. But abstinence is held up as a high standard here...even when people don't meet it.

In grade nine I went to an alternative high school. It was a small program, and most of the kids there had been kicked out of their 'normal' schools for fighting, breaking rules, etc. We all had to take a mandatory life skills class, and it was awesome. Not only did we get in depth teaching about healthy and abusive relationships, we got comprehensive sex ed. We did learn that abstinence is the only 100% effective method of birth control, but then we learned about every other method. The most effective thing they did to teach STD prevention was this game where we all had vials of liquid. One person in the class had an 'STD'. We went around and mixed our liquid (lol) with two other people in the class. By the end of the class, we all had the STD. Definitely an effective way to teach the importance of safe sex.

Actually I hate those games and I don't think it is effective. STDs are not one size fits all.

Oral sex is also a 100% effective method of birth control too. Abstinence as a standard sucks.

The game was pretty effective for us, so I guess ymmv. And abstinence was not held as the standard, it was given as one of several forms of birth control.

The game was pretty effective for us, so I guess ymmv. And abstinence was not held as the standard, it was given as one of several forms of birth control.

When it is called 100% it becomes the gold standard.

The problem with the game is it teaches you about one way and one real STD. What did you learn about herpes?

Archived