IGNORED

David and Priscilla updates

Deleted07

That's probably the ticket/warning for tresspass the cops gave them. I suppose this is the photo that will be a "lesson" for their son.

What everyone else said about gleaning. This isn't the Kingdom of Judah BCE. Some landowners will let you glean (that's how I get my chestnuts), but you need to ask permission and respect the boundaries. David is definitely a douche par excellence.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though they are meant to be all contrite they have plastered on their smiles for the photo. That training to always have a positive countenance must run deep

That's probably the ticket/warning for tresspass the cops gave them. I suppose this is the photo that will be a "lesson" for their son.

What everyone else said about gleaning. This isn't the Kingdom of Judah BCE. Some landowners will let you glean (that's how I get my chestnuts), but you need to ask permission and respect the boundaries. David is definitely a douche par excellence.

That is just so many shades of WTF with the smile. I mean I always pose for my parking fines happily! No I would prefer nobody knew. Are they really that naive? I almost feel sorry for their ignorance. Upbringing?

Reread the pecan story from the perspective of the police officers and farmer. While David and Priscilla don't look like anybody's idea of dangerous criminals, it's probably hard to tell on first glance that they are as sheltered and naive as they are. Trespassing (along with gleaning/stealing nuts from a harvested field) is hardly a serious crime in the eyes of the law. The police officers and farmer thought they'd scare the kids a bit, but had no idea they'd terrify Priscilla and David so thoroughly. The racism could have been intended as a joke (albeit not a funny one) and so could the crack about the Bible in the car.

When David and Priscilla freaked out about the possibility of gunshots (and Priscilla, obviously pregnant, started getting hysterical) they probably called in the nice officer to calm things down. He handled the situation according to professional procedure, and was being slightly patronizing when he brought David over to the farmer and let him make his "good Christian" speech. Then the farmer takes a picture so that he can prove to his friends and family that yes, a clean-cut Christian couple stole pecans from his farm in a Bible competition bag, and yes, they totally freaked out and thought they were going to get shot because of this. Who would believe him without photo proof?

It's important to keep in mind how thoroughly and completely David cracked in the face of people he viewed as authority figures (the police officers and the farmer) and gave a prostrate apology speech to the friendly police officer instead of explaining the situation and asking questions about what was going on. Most adults with the ability to think for themselves would explain that there had been a misunderstanding, that neighbors had said it was okay to walk on the property, and that they didn't realize "gleaning" was stealing. Offering to pay the farmer or the nuts was the right thing to do, but David offered the gesture as a Christian who should have known better, not as someone who wanted to correct a thoughtless mistake. These people have been taught a kind of Christianity that teaches them to roll over and die before standing up for themselves, even when they've encountered an extremely disturbing situation. How hard would it have been for David to say, "This is a really unfortunate misunderstanding - and it was a misunderstanding, not an intentional crime. We've been cooperative in every way, and want nothing more than to resolve the situation. Was it really necessary for them to threaten to shoot us? My wife is pregnant, and you can see that she's incredibly upset over this." Also there was NO REASON for them to agree to pose for a picture without asking why the farmer wanted to take it. david and Priscilla screwed up, but they aren't compelled to do whatever the person they wronged asks.

David and Priscilla reacted like abused children ... which is what they are, essentially. They don't stand up for themselves in situations where their side of things could be reasonably explained as stupidity, not malice, they don't question the behavior of authority figures, even when something strikes them as wrong, and they can't understand basic human dynamics or comprehend a proportionate response to a heated situation. (For instance, it was one thing for the farmer and police officers to be mad at David and Priscilla, and quite another to make them think gunshots were going to be fired after they were cooperating.) David also couldn't admit that this was a learning situation for him (he now knows that gleaning is wrong) and instead claims he just didn't listen hard enough to Jesus. A glimpse into headship psychology.

Guest Anonymous

That is just so many shades of WTF with the smile. I mean I always pose for my parking fines happily! No I would prefer nobody knew. Are they really that naive? I almost feel sorry for their ignorance. Upbringing?

I would LOVE someone to find the farmer's photo posted up somewhere, along with his side of the story. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Sarietty, your interpretation is based on the idea that everything that appears in the blog post is true. Frankly, I doubt that anything that the farmer or the police officer are supposed to have said actually happened. It fits into too neat a pattern: We were innocent, the guy was a jerk, the reasonable policeman understood us. I think it's all geared towards minimizing the damage of being caught stealing. The dialogue is just so ridiculous that I cannot believe it really happened.

That's a good point, sogba, especially since they were issued a ticket and there will be a public record of this incident. Also, the amount of pecans they took is enormous - far more than the few handfuls David implies. With that said, though, I think an incident like this one is something that people who look like David and Priscilla (as opposed to people of color or white people who aren't as clean cut) can usually resolve immediately by apologizing, pleading ignorance, and offering to pay the farmer. The fact that David and Priscilla didn't comprehend the nuances of the situation or how to behave around authority figures escalated matters beyond what they might otherwise have been.

I can believe the dialogue if the men quoted were joking, exaggerating or making fun of David. Otherwise, David definitely made all the dialogue up.

Guest Anonymous
an incident like this one is something that people who look like David and Priscilla (as opposed to people of color or white people who aren't as clean cut) can usually resolve immediately by apologizing, pleading ignorance, and offering to pay the farmer.

This. It's a problem created when all sin is equal. There is a tendency either to deny it or to feel it necessary to roll out a whole Sinner's Prayer. No middle ground, no pragmatism.

I do hope that photo isn't framed and kept with the 'rod of correction' to show their kid and tell how God deals with sinners.

why is he walking around with 100$ bills when 50$ a night was too much for him?

I don't know, I like seeing it from the other perspectives, I doubt that they lied, but I am sure they did not full understand everything that was happening.

It's amazing how he never takes ownership for what he did. It was all a big misunderstanding, the farmer was crazy to go all berserk over a few pecans, HE'S A CHRISTIAN!!!! So obviously he would never steal on purpose!!!

As we drove down the road, I asked God, “Father, why did you allow that to happen?†The answer came just two days later… Read more in a few days.

See? Totally not David's fault - IT'S GOD'S FAULT!!!!

The rest of the story...2 days later he got word that the nutso nut famer (or the sheriff, or someone) was SAVED!!! because of David's testimony!!! Doesn't God work in mysterious ways??!!?

David has no clue about gleaning. Legitimate gleaners ask the field owners for permission. I gleaned as an individual down in CA for many years, mostly asparagus. Some farms permitted it, and set boundaries for gleaning. Others said no.

Currently in my community we have a gleaners org. They get permission to glean from the farmers, and then they distribute to folks who need the food. As a volunteer gleaner I also get to bring home some goodies. If David could offer the grower $100 for those pecans, he didn't need to be gleaning.

You are correct. Most field owners dont mind if you glean after they have cleared the field. But you do have to ask permission first. Most will say yes, but some say no. I know in NM, farmers are encouraged financially to leave a small % of their crop in the field for the birds that migrate down here in the winter. If you agree to do this, then the state fish and wildlife may check your fields through out winter to ensure that you are complying with the agreement. There are large financial gains to be made by doing this so many farmers agree to feed the birds.

I'm sure it's a story woven from some threads of true events. I'd think an angry farmer wouldn't have complete sentences ready for them if he was angry. "It’s one thing for those black folks to be out here at night, but you decent white folk are out here stealing in broad daylight!" I'm sure it sounded more like "First the *racial slur*, now you?!"

or David added in the racial things to make him seem ebil and nasty. I could totally see an exasperated farmer blowing up after telling off pilfering wanderers all harvest. The police were called, and the farmer eventually calmed down after he had time to assess the situation. Dave and Priscilla's severe reactions probably made him feel badly. Or embarrassed for them. Or he just plain shit forgot to be mad and was dying to post the story and pic to facebook. I'd give them a bag of nuts for a good laugh and a dopey pic of the perps any day.

Maybe it is their first experience of...Shh apple-pinching? That thing you do as a kid (ok I did it as a kid) You know when your parents allow you to have a life and you get up to mischief. The thing you do that teaches you it is stealing. But when your friends are daring you, it seems like fun.

See now I learned that at about 12.

Sarietty, your interpretation is based on the idea that everything that appears in the blog post is true. Frankly, I doubt that anything that the farmer or the police officer are supposed to have said actually happened. It fits into too neat a pattern: We were innocent, the guy was a jerk, the reasonable policeman understood us. I think it's all geared towards minimizing the damage of being caught stealing. The dialogue is just so ridiculous that I cannot believe it really happened.

This.

I don't believe most of what was transcribed really happened. I do believe they got caught, and I do believe the farmer was upset. And I do believe the cop was called. Other than that.. Prove it.

Guest Anonymous
Maybe it is their first experience of...Shh apple-pinching? That thing you do as a kid (ok I did it as a kid) You know when your parents allow you to have a life and you get up to mischief. The thing you do that teaches you it is stealing. But when your friends are daring you, it seems like fun.

See now I learned that at about 12.

So that's how you have seen the inside of a holding cell.... :lol:

So that's how you have seen the inside of a holding cell.... :lol:

OMG MY REP the last few days is totally scum :lol:

:lol: I'd still rather eat them than meet some of the fundies we discuss here :)

This lady is not a Registered Dietician.

She has never claimed to be one. In fact, she is very clear [link=http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/on-not-being-a-dietitian/]in two[/link] different [link=http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/about/]places on her site[/link] that that is not her credential, and what her education and training actually are.

Doesn't seem like much of a "gotcha" to say she doesn't have an RD when she's so clear about not having an RD up front.

I thought David's word choice "gleaning the field" was interesting. He doesn't see it as stealing because God Says that you can take the leavings after a field has been harvested.

I think he's trying to justify his actions and head off any accusations of stealing in his terminology. Even though we don't live under Old Testament law.

:naughty:

And where his reasoning falls short is that the verse to which he refers, if it's the Leviticus passage about harvesting, states that the leavings are for the poor and the alien (not just anyone).

She has never claimed to be one. In fact, she is very clear [link=http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/on-not-being-a-dietitian/]in two[/link] different [link=http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/about/]places on her site[/link] that that is not her credential, and what her education and training actually are.

Doesn't seem like much of a "gotcha" to say she doesn't have an RD when she's so clear about not having an RD up front.

A Dietician is a medical professional. They take Science courses to quite advanced levels. They need to assemble a portfolio and gather references. They need to apply for an internship and need at least 900 clinic hours. Probably more. I hate it when people don't treat this field as a serious profession. It is insulting to the people who went to school for this. Just the same as I wouldn't want my kid's kindergarten teacher to have gone to an unaccredited bible college, I wouldn't trust this person to gather useful information for me. The person at the bible college did get some sort of educational training. It just doesn't count in the real world.

This lady has experience in nutrition, but in the real world, she isn't a good source. No matter how many paragraphs she types trying to justify her lack of the right credential.

Well, no doubt that David is reading here- now the entry is gone, gone (not just taken off of the front page). I wonder how he will try to spin this story when he either reposts (a highly edited story) or tries to pretend it was never there? Thankfully, Mr. Waller, the internet doesn't forget and it's extremely easy to get screen shots from google. .

Well, no doubt that David is reading here- now the entry is gone, gone (not just taken off of the front page). I wonder how he will try to spin this story when he either reposts (a highly edited story) or tries to pretend it was never there? Thankfully, Mr. Waller, the internet doesn't forget and it's extremely easy to get screen shots from google. .

:greetings-wavingyellow: Hi David, how about a visit, we're your biggest fans and we've got a lot of questions for you.

GAH!!! YES! I love when we make their ears buzz! I wonder if he really thought that story would blow over well, or if he heard news from followers that his story wasn't very Christlike.

Archived