IGNORED

David and Priscilla updates

Deleted07

The pecan story is still there, click on family updates. I haven't reread it to see it has been edited. ETA, he left the links and the intro to the pecan story on family updates but when I click to read more it's not there. David must be too busy praying for us to fix his links.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The story preview is still showing on the blog page, but if you actually click on the title, it's gone and it only says 'no results found'.

anyone have a screenshot of the comments? There says there are six but that has disappeared as well. I really wanna know what the peanut gallery had to say about it. We have snarked tons on their blog before. Surely this time wouldn't be the time to cave unless there was inside pressure.

Question about the side line on the nutritionist - who appears to be someone who took a degree but has not done her clinical, and says so - so what's the fuss - that's much better than a holistic or natural nutritionist - some programs run for a few months with some faux diploma/credential (compared to a B.Sc. etc) - as long as he's honest so people can take it or leave it.....

and yes - someone get a screenshot? I am late to the great pecan debacle....

I think the dealio is that one can earn a degree in Nutrition from an accredited university, but to become a registered dietician, there is a national exam one must pass and continuing education credits one must earn to maintain the RD designation.

I do agree with you that there are some specious programs one can follow for earning some sort of certification, just like in the fitness arena. But nutritionists and RDs usually have gone through the same type programs...some just take that national exam and CEUs to maintain a designation, if that makes sense.

RE: Fat shaming -- I think it wrong to finger-wag or hand slap by saying something like, "Y'all quit being assholes." Sure, if you dislike the talk, say something like, "I think it unkind to make such comments about someone's weight," and if you do, be prepared for how people might respond. But when a person starts out with, "Y'all quit being assholes," that's going to get some, "Huh? Why do you get to judge me when you're telling me not to judge?" responses.

Anyone have any pecans? I got a nutcracker...

It's completely gone now. I wonder if his family or someone let him know how it sounded.

We know Smugger reads here so that is a possibility.

It's amazing how he never takes ownership for what he did. It was all a big misunderstanding, the farmer was crazy to go all berserk over a few pecans, HE'S A CHRISTIAN!!!! So obviously he would never steal on purpose!!!

See? Totally not David's fault - IT'S GOD'S FAULT!!!!

The rest of the story...2 days later he got word that the nutso nut famer (or the sheriff, or someone) was SAVED!!! because of David's testimony!!! Doesn't God work in mysterious ways??!!?

Uh, yeah! The farmer figured out that all you have to do it profess your Christianity and it will get you out of trouble for criminal behavior. Maybe he's going to break into the neighbor's home (who sent the Waller's to his property in the first place) and "glean" some of their property of equal value to his pecans. Cause breaking the law and then frantically telling the officers about your Born Again Christian status is a sure fire way to get them to look the other way. It was proven so on his own property.

Looks like The Pecan Story is no longer on davidlovespriscilla.com, but it does live on in my Google Reader. Here you go (sans pictures - those are still in my Reader but wouldn't copy with the text):

Home » Family Updates » The Pecan Story

Posted by David Waller on Dec 4, 2012 in Family Updates, Ministry Reports, Photo Galleries | 3 comments

It all started so innocently. We were on our way down after completing a wonderful time at the national Bible Bee. God seemed to ordain every step we took. We were dropping off a co-worker and would pick them up again on the way back up north. It was on our way and not an inconvenience at all and to make matters even better, they offered to feed us lunch. No lunch meat for lunch today! We were having a Southern meal of homemade fried chicken, so tender and juicy. Yum! This home was surrounded by beautiful fields of peach orchards, pecan groves, and peanut farms. Totally foreign to me, they explained that they had just gathered the pecan harvest by shaking each tree and then raking them into wind rows to be picked up by the next machine.

Time for a walk

As our lunch and fellowship came to a close, I asked if there was a good place to go for a little walk before completing the remaining six hour’s drive to Florida. The family kindly offered, “We sometimes walk down the highway, but there are no shoulders. You can certainly walk around our yard… or we know our neighbor and he lets us walk in his pecan grove.â€

As we went outside the prospect of a walk did not look so inviting, so we headed to the van, bid our hosts goodbye and took off. Just as we pulled out the clouds parted and the sun beamed down. I quickly looked at Priscilla and after rounding the bend decided to pull into the other side of the neatly planted mature pecan trees. After walking along the road I felt it was important for us to head back. As we headed back, I saw a few pecans pressed into the mud. I quickly dug one out, brushed it off and cracked it open, only to find the most delicious, lush, buttery pecan I think I had ever tasted. I handed some to Priscilla. I had a little caution about it, but I quickly brushed it aside. We thought, “Maybe we should dig out just a few and bring them down for Thanksgiving. That would be a nice treat. After all, they already harvested. We are just gleaning the field.†I ran to the van and found our paper Bible Bee gift bag.

The law catches up

After only a few minutes the bag was filling nicely. I glanced up and waved as a blue car drove by. I am not sure it registered in my mind that it was a state trooper until I saw his car back only a few minutes later. This time he rolled down his window and called out, “Hey, what are you all doing out there? Who gave you permission to be out there?â€

Motioning toward the red house in the distance I explained, “We are traveling through the area and just had lunch with that family over there.†The trooper asked, “Do they own the property?†I replied, “No, but they said they know the owner and he lets them walk in this grove.†The trooper replied, “Well, I just talked to the owner and he told me he does not want anyone out here. You wait right here. He wants to have a word with you.†Oh, boy, was I in for a surprise.

The farmer arrives

A pickup pulled in a short while later and out jumped a plain-clothed officer. He walked over to talk with the other officer while we waited another fifteen minutes. Finally the owner of the property pulled up. As he got out of his pickup he grabbed a slender fiberglass cattle-prod. As he walked briskly towards us he slashed at the grass back and forth as he walked. He was ANGRY!

For what seemed like an eternity he yelled questions at us such as, “What did you think you were doing? Who gave you permission to be out here? It’s one thing for those black folks to be out here at night, but you decent white folk are out here stealing in broad daylight!!! I bet you got a Bible in your car back there too! Don’t you realize that is like stealing money out of my wallet?â€

Situation gets worse

Obviously this was not the first time people had wronged him. Of course we felt horrible and wanted to do anything needed to make this right. After the landowner had carried on for a time, he turned back and called out to the officers, “You got your deputy on his way out here yet? You better, because they are going to hear gunshots over their heads in a minute.†After a stern warning from the officers, a few more police came on the scene. Each one seemed to do their best to give us a talking. Finally, the deputy for the area arrived. God so ordained him to be a large jolly African-American officer. I wish you could have seen the face of the land-owner when he saw him. This officer was one of the nicest guys. Upon getting my license he went over to get my wife’s. Upon hearing the threat of gun fire, I asked if she would be permitted to sit in the van. When he went up to get her information his first question was, “How many months are you along?†She burst into tears and held up five fingers. He compassionately said, “You don’t have to get all emotional about it. I think we are just going to write you up a warning not to go on his property again.†You could not have paid us go on that property again.

A sticky situation

One of the other tall officers ended up doing the negotiations. He had to give me “a talking to†loud enough that the land owner could hear to try and appease his wrath. Finally, he asked me what I had to say. I explained that I just wanted to take my wife on a little walk, but that I was totally wrong to take pecans. I told him, “I am a born again Christian and no Christian should ever steal. God and I have a good relationship and I had a caution and I did not listen to God’s prompting. I am really sorry, and I would like to offer this guy restitution. I have no clue what the bag of pecans is worth, but I have $100 in cash right here to give him.â€

With that the officer told me to come over to talk. The owner was still upset, but had calmed down some. The officer asked him, “Did you take any time to even listen to these kids and what they had to say?†He stared at the ground and shook his head. “Tell him what you told me†the officer stated.

I looked the man square in the eye and said, “Sir, I am a born again Christian and I do have a Bible in that car and this is no way for a Christian to act. I have been a horrible witness of what a Christian ought to be because no Christian ought to steal. I just came from helping out at the national Bible Bee. You can probably see that on the very bag I used. I have taught character in the public schools of Oklahoma for years. I am headed down right now to do some ministry in a prison. God and I have a great relationship and when He tells me not to do something, I know better, but I disobeyed His prompting. I want you to know that I am very sorry. Here is a token of my apology.†I stuffed the hundred dollars in the top of the bag and began to back away.

The officer repeated it, “Did you hear that? He violated his inner peace and did what was wrong and now is offering you a hundred bucks as restitution.†He straightened up and looked at me and then at the police officer. He said, “No, you keep your money, no I don’t want your dirty money.†After a pause he looked back up and said, “No, all I want is one good picture of you and your Mrs. holding that bag of pecans.†I said, “Yes, sir. Anything you want. I have done you wrong.†After he took a picture on his little flip phone I said, “Sir, could you take a picture of us as well? I want to teach my little boy this lesson too.†We shook hands, gave us our paper-work and we were off.

As we drove down the road, I asked God, “Father, why did you allow that to happen?†The answer came just two days later… Read more in a few days.

Luckily we have it here. And I saved the picture as did others.

post-666-14451997191381_thumb.jpg

I wonder if someone forwarded it to the organizers of the Bible Bee since he was a judge and speaker? That can't be good for their reputation when someone who is supposed to be a moral compass gets cited for trespassing and theft before they even head home.

No screenshot because I am on an iPad and have no idea how, but I still have the post open, so cut and pasted the comments. They are ridiculously happy about David's 'testimony'. Wtf.

Lisa Eastman December 7, 2012

What a story! I am glad you guys didn’t get in anymore trouble than you did. I can only imagine how Priscilla felt. I can’t wait to hear the rest of the story!

Michelle December 7, 2012

More, More, More. What a testimony. Praise God you handled it so well. Can’t wait to hear the rest. God is AWESOME!

Natasha December 7, 2012

What a great testimony! Thank you both for sharing your experience and example of humility with us all. I can’t wait to hear more!

In Christ,

Natasha

STEPHEN December 7, 2012

Thank you for sharing. The your story highlights the importance of always keeping Exodus 20:15 in one’s heart.

Debra December 8, 2012

I would have given anything to see that owners face when that black officer came out. Thats what he gets for being racist.

Sonya December 8, 2012

God has shown great mercy in this situation because the property owner could have shot first and asked questions later. However, staying humble in this situation is really a testament of God’s character that he entrusted in you. Please be safe and listen carefully when the Holy Spirit is sending a warning.

Jesus Christ with a Klondike bar, I take 24 hours to decorate for the holidays and almost miss pecan gate. Thanks to those who saved it.

Decent white folks? Seriously? If someone actually said that to me I would be ashamed to repeat it unless I was outing them for their racism. WTF, David? I can't believe he threw that in there so casually.

What a great testimony????? WTH???? That is absolutely NOT a greast testimony. Moron went reaping the leftovers off a farmer in the rural south, he's darn lucky he has both legs and eyes to tell his little story. Furthermore that level of pecans stolen? SERIOUSLY???? Even shelled that's more than the poundage I used to go through in a given year when I did my holiday baking. What exactly did they think they were going to do with that many pecans and how did they possibly think it was okay to walk away with probably $100 of pecans off the farmer's ground???? Geesh, I used to love when my grandmother sister would buy the pecans and "gift" them to me the darn things cost me a fortune if I had to pay for them!

Here's a HINT, dum-dum, rather than telling this story as if it's cute and a great testimony, there's another DANDY thing that far down south. It's called a roadside stand. All the way down to Florida, you can find signs for them year round. You can BUY your pecans directly from the farmers, at their roadside stand and not by trying to steal them from the fields!

Those sheep thought that was a testament to humility ?!? More like a testament to stupidity, and David probably agrees given the speed with which he took it down.

Hint to David-Honey, no one wearing a watch like you're wearing has any business claiming he is gleaning. That is just a mockery of the entire concept, you shameless conman.

Edit-cross posted with chaotic life

Those sheep thought that was a testament to humility ?!? More like a testament to stupidity

Humility and stupidity? No. Grandstanding about "how great of a Christian I am?" Yes.

oh my God, what I bet REALLY happened - some angry farmer drove up and said "what the fuck are you doing on my land"? and called the cops on his smartphone - if he ever really called the cops at all. Amazing that some kindly black officer showed up....

They tried to turn this into some half assed example of persecution by a racist who would harass a pregnant woman.

post-286-1445199719246_thumb.jpg

Did these two learn how to write from Teri Maxwell? The text of the story reads like a child is writing it.

I'm also not buying the BS about how the officer was talking/treating them. So full of it.

I think the dealio is that one can earn a degree in Nutrition from an accredited university, but to become a registered dietician, there is a national exam one must pass and continuing education credits one must earn to maintain the RD designation.

I do agree with you that there are some specious programs one can follow for earning some sort of certification, just like in the fitness arena. But nutritionists and RDs usually have gone through the same type programs...some just take that national exam and CEUs to maintain a designation, if that makes sense.

RE: Fat shaming -- I think it wrong to finger-wag or hand slap by saying something like, "Y'all quit being assholes." Sure, if you dislike the talk, say something like, "I think it unkind to make such comments about someone's weight," and if you do, be prepared for how people might respond. But when a person starts out with, "Y'all quit being assholes," that's going to get some, "Huh? Why do you get to judge me when you're telling me not to judge?" responses.

Anyone have any pecans? I got a nutcracker...

I continue to maintain that Josh is a giant a-hole. I have no trouble calling him out on his weight, since he would have no trouble calling me out on wearing pants. I'll be used as an example for little Mack in a few years about the evils of immodesty and working women.

I'll snark on him for anything I think he deserves.

This is a bit off topic, but David and Priscilla's site led me to the Waller family site, which led me to David's brother Adam's site. Whew! Anyway, there are lots of pics from Adam and Valerie's wedding. I can't figure out why Valerie is allowed to have short hair? I think her hair is really cute, but she is literally the only one with short hair. Has that ever been mentioned?

This is a bit off topic, but David and Priscilla's site led me to the Waller family site, which led me to David's brother Adam's site. Whew! Anyway, there are lots of pics from Adam and Valerie's wedding. I can't figure out why Valerie is allowed to have short hair? I think her hair is really cute, but she is literally the only one with short hair. Has that ever been mentioned?

Maybe Adam doesn't mind her having short hair? As far as I can tell in fundie circles, if a woman's husband says something is "okay", then it's usually acceptable, or at least tolerated.

Oy, check out the special memories post - their writing is even more stilted and painful than David's. It's like they're writing a (very bad) children's book about a thrilling evening of decorating their apartment for Christmas! joyfullservice.com/

Anyone else see the comments on the Florida Ministry Trip -

Denise December 6, 2012

Hi Priscilla and David my name is Denise and lately I’ve been having trouble with christianity. I mean to me it all just seems sexist, you see I’m a feminist and all the bible seems to say about women is how they need to submit to their husbands and how their just needed for cooking cleaning and babysitting I dont mean to be rude but thats how it seems and how every time they mentioned a womans name it was in a negative aspect I just personal think that the bible seems to cator more to men than women and that men are more important in the bible than women it wasnt until I’ve read your story about how it made no difference to your parents which role their children played when it came to cooking or housework and I really did appreciate that but I also know that it isnt like that in all christian homes nor in the bible I dont know I just really need help and I realize that my grammar/punctuation isnt the best right now so sorry about that

David Waller December 7, 2012

Dear Denise, thank you for sharing thank you also for the compliment. I so glad that our parents raised each of us kids to have a healthy appreciation for the roles of both man and women. If the Bible teaches anything on the subject of the role of a woman, it definately teaches a woman is to be honored. After all, she is the greatest creation because God saved the best for last. Second, the servant of all is the greatest of all and every person in the world has been served by a woman. Third, a woman is greatest because in marraige she often has far more influence on her husband who has the position of authority for the family. In heaven there is no more male or female and in God’s eyes both have equal standing. After all, he is not concerned about religion, but about a personal relationship through His Son, Jesus Christ. May God bless!

Archived