IGNORED

David and Priscilla updates

Deleted07

Bolded...or he was mocking David. I get the impression that people so sheltered like David and Priscilla would mistake sarcasm for seriousness. Because it certainly comes across to me that the officer was making fun of David if he said actually said that.

Though agree with the last statement. That's how it came across to me as well.

Wait...what? Did the owner actually say that? Racist much? Unless David just added that part, which would make David racist. Those black folks, decent white folk? I can't even

For some reason I doubt this.

How old is David? He doesn't look very old. So how has he taught character in Oklahoma for years. And in public schools no less.

Hmm...wonder what the owner is going to do with that picture???

So they are "decent white folks" but he doesn't want to take their "dirty money"? That doesn't ring true. The way that all of the aspects of race are described in this story, coupled with the "poor side of town" comment makes me think that David is very racist, either openly or subconsciously.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point of David's story is that the farmer was racist. The fact that the cop who showed up to take care of the situation was African American was meant by David to be a dig at the farmer. David is saying that the farmer is racist, and he thinks it's wrong. Now I would hardly be surprised if David were subconsciously racist (wonder how he'd feel about his child marrying an African American, for example), but not outwardly so.

This is something I've noticed with many fundies in general. They tend to think racism is wrong, but they often still disapprove of mixed race marriages and so on.

The point of David's story is that the farmer was racist. The fact that the cop who showed up to take care of the situation was African American was meant by David to be a dig at the farmer. David is saying that the farmer is racist, and he thinks it's wrong. Now I would hardly be surprised if David were subconsciously racist (wonder how he'd feel about his child marrying an African American, for example), but not outwardly so.

This is something I've noticed with many fundies in general. They tend to think racism is wrong, but they often still disapprove of mixed race marriages and so on.

Yes, he was pinning the racism on the farmer. However, he could be making up words and putting his own racist words into the owner's mouth to gain sympathy for his stealing. Yeah, they were stealing, but they were stealing from a cranky racist! It paints them in a better light even though they were the ones breaking the law.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, he was pinning the racism on the farmer. However, he could be making up words and putting his own racist words into the owner's mouth to gain sympathy for his stealing. Yeah, they were stealing, but they were stealing from a cranky racist! It paints them in a better light even though they were the ones breaking the law.

This. The story reads like a small child who has been caught in the sweetie jar is explaining to his gran why it was really his siblings fault, and his sibling who got the biggest telling-off from his mam.

I agree that David is trying to make himself look as good as possible, but I also don't have any trouble believing that the farmer was exactly how he described. I think it's telling, though, that David is trying to frame this as a tale of how he and Priscilla did something bad and learned from their mistake, but really he's using it as an opportunity to show how godly and wonderful he is. Again, I don't think fundies really know what 'humility' means. They think they do, but it's really pride.

Pecans shelled this year are averaging about $11/lb give or take. I'd be protecting my land and livelihood too, especially from pretentious self-entitled twits who can't even seem to admit they were wrong without trying to spin it to make someone else look worse. Oh how I wish they had been charged. That would have made the story waay more entertaining.

Maybe the farmer took the picture to warn other farmers in the area that there are thieves about, and if they see these people, to chase them away.

I just can't believe that they treated trespassing and theft like 'meh, no biggie.' I imagine David was about to soil his undies which is the reason why he started spewing about how good of a person he is, what good works he does, his faith, blah blah blah....

After he took a picture on his little flip phone

I took this as being condescending about the farmer's phone technology. I'm not putting it past him to be an Apple snob.

Maybe the farmer took the picture to warn other farmers in the area that there are thieves about, and if they see these people, to chase them away.

Chase them away nothing. He probably told them to shoot on sight. Lol

I just can't believe that they treated trespassing and theft like 'meh, no biggie.' I imagine David was about to soil his undies which is the reason why he started spewing about how good of a person he is, what good works he does, his faith, blah blah blah....

maybe he was scurred of the

slender fiberglass cattle-prod

What on earth is that anyway? I thought they were metal and gave out electric shocks?

Guest Anonymous

So they are "decent white folks" but he doesn't want to take their "dirty money"? That doesn't ring true. The way that all of the aspects of race are described in this story, coupled with the "poor side of town" comment makes me think that David is very racist, either openly or subconsciously.

He does something similar in the next post about cooking:

Have you ever heard of someone craving something while pregnant? We sure know about that now! One or Priscilla’s favorite genres of food is Mexican. That urge combined with our love for hospitality made yesterday evening a ton of fun.

Friends + Food = Fiesta

Two young ladies who grew up in Mexico at an orphanage have become quite the cooking experts and together with Priscilla made some zesty salsa and pico de gallo, amazing guacamole and beans, and a piping hot tray of enchiladas. What kind of baby are we going to have with a diet like this?

ZOMG, at this rate the baby might become a Mexican!!!! :naughty:

Imagine if David was a pecan farmer. If he caught people trespassing on his field and stealing his livelihood, we'd probably be seeing a sanctimonious blog entry about how if those people had only known Christ and been brought up with the right character training, they never would have done such a thing.

maybe he was scurred of the

What on earth is that anyway? I thought they were metal and gave out electric shocks?

I guess you can get a fiberglass one. I just googled and came up with this:

hwk6rb.jpg

I thought David's word choice "gleaning the field" was interesting. He doesn't see it as stealing because God Says that you can take the leavings after a field has been harvested.

I think he's trying to justify his actions and head off any accusations of stealing in his terminology. Even though we don't live under Old Testament law.

:naughty:

slender fiberglass cattle-prod

It could have also been a show stick, farmers use to place show cattle's feet at a fair or exhibition. Doubt David would know the difference.

post-236-14451997190431_thumb.jpg

Don't those horses (the ones in the middle especially) look too small for grown men to be riding. I know nothing about horses, so feel free to correct me. At least we get to see what shape Bateses horses are in now.

It's not so much the size of the horse (height-wise) as it is the weight of the person it's carrying in relation to the weight of the horse. A couple of those guys are pretty close to being too heavy IMO for the horses they're on. In the show ring you really want a horse that 'fits' you to put forth a good image to the judges, if you have really long legs, you need a big barreled horse to take up all that leg. If you have short legs, you need a smaller barreled horse to give you the illusion of more leg. In 'trail driving' *snerk* it's actually 'trail riding' David, you half-wit, such things don't matter. But it is easy to overload a small horse with too much weight, especially with 'snatch and jerk' heavy-handed riders.

Interesting that we get pics now of the horses, when they're sporting their long, shaggy (and decidedly dull) winter coats. My own horses are quite fuzzy right now, yet still GLEAM with health. A winter coat hides ribs and hip bones quite effectively... Even with the fuzz, the dark sorrel/chestnut horse's rump still looks thin and wonky (the 'roping' pic). Note in the head-on shot how narrow that horse is (it's the one with the star with the girl aboard)

I will say they appear to be in somewhat better shape, but can't give an honest opinion with the pics given.

I thought David's word choice "gleaning the field" was interesting. He doesn't see it as stealing because God Says that you can take the leavings after a field has been harvested.

I think he's trying to justify his actions and head off any accusations of stealing in his terminology. Even though we don't live under Old Testament law.

:naughty:

Yeah, that. They weren't stealing they were gleaning. It's biblical!

Yeah, that. They weren't stealing they were gleaning. It's biblical!

David has no clue about gleaning. Legitimate gleaners ask the field owners for permission. I gleaned as an individual down in CA for many years, mostly asparagus. Some farms permitted it, and set boundaries for gleaning. Others said no.

Currently in my community we have a gleaners org. They get permission to glean from the farmers, and then they distribute to folks who need the food. As a volunteer gleaner I also get to bring home some goodies. If David could offer the grower $100 for those pecans, he didn't need to be gleaning.

David has no clue about gleaning. Legitimate gleaners ask the field owners for permission. I gleaned as an individual down in CA for many years, mostly asparagus. Some farms permitted it, and set boundaries for gleaning. Others said no.

Currently in my community we have a gleaners org. They get permission to glean from the farmers, and then they distribute to folks who need the food. As a volunteer gleaner I also get to bring home some goodies. If David could offer the grower $100 for those pecans, he didn't need to be gleaning.

Our local food bank does that too. They get PERMISSION from local farmers to pick what's left from the fields that the farmers won't be using. I haven't been able to go with them because it usually happens in the middle of a work week, but it's a good way to get food for those who actually need it.

I took this as being condescending about the farmer's phone technology. I'm not putting it past him to be an Apple snob.

I thought it was condescending too, like "ZOMG Flip phones are so 3 years ago" !!!

A bigger pic for those wanting to see and who can't see the blogpost -

post-1841-14451997190916_thumb.jpg

Are they showing there legal papers? No idea what you guys call them. If not what are they showing? Were they served a fine?

Archived