IGNORED

Maxwell 9: Woks and spices - what's next?

Coconut Flan

On 5/19/2017 at 3:09 PM, anjulibai said:

Sarah is happiest away from her family. The pictures of her outings with friends and her outings with family are so, so, so different.

Suspect that even Sarah feels like she can act like a real adult with her friends and enjoy herself as opposed to being forced back into a role of a child when she is with her family, not to mention having to live in that dreary house.   Even if she doesn't fully understands why, on some level she knows the difference.

On 5/19/2017 at 3:09 PM, anjulibai said:

What the fuck is wrong with him that he would raise his daughters to believe that their only goal in life is to be a wife and mother, and then not allow them to do so. 

IHMO, fear and control.  I would argue that the fear probably underlies the control.    Steveovah strikes me as someone who is extremely fearful, there's some serious shit going on in that guy's head.  He's gone so far down the rabbithole that there's no way out for him,  Unfortunately he's taken his family with him and IMHO that's the most tragic part of it because his children are people who could have had all kinds of potential if it weren't for their nutcase of a father and unfortunately a mother who went along with it.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

I didn't listen to the radio drama, but it was based on a book by the beloved Frank Peretti. There was also a teen novel from the mid 1990s (kind of like the Christy Miller books) about a girl who gets pregnant and the decisions she has to make. 

A book by Frank Peretti... would that be Prophet?  I think that had a girl who bled to death from a botched abortion and her father who was in politics or running for office or something covered it up.  Been a long time since I read it, but it's still on my shelf.

4 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Adding, I found the teen book, it was called Choice Summer, published by FotF, of course.

What a bland title!  (Unless I imagine it's a Summer Glau photoshoot instead.)

Christy Miller grew up and had seven perfect blond haired, blue eyed children. Did adults actually read the series when it transitioned to Christy being a wife and mother? 

Frank Peretti had some really weird books. He wrote a whole lot of Christian horror. 

Christy Miller grew up and had seven perfect blond haired, blue eyed children. Did adults actually read the series when it transitioned to Christy being a wife and mother? 
Frank Peretti had some really weird books. He wrote a whole lot of Christian horror. 

I'm trying to imagine what Christian horror might be like:

1) Nice white family experiences demonic possession after accepting a present from the new Muslim refugee family that moved in next door?

2) A young family is targeted by a rebel group of radical feminist separatist lesbians and a flock of fabulous sparkly men after politely protesting the use of Tango Makes Three in their daughter's class?

3) A man's son and daughter are behaving in ways unbecoming to their genders (son has taken over kitchen duties and daughter is talking about becoming an electrician) and he believes that the Satanists that have made themselves comfortable in the city may have something to do with it ...?

@CyborgKin, the book was called Tilly as well. Prophet, The Oath, This Present Darkness, and Piercing the Darkkness were all popular books by Peretti. I don't remember Tilly being as popular (I had a relative in Christian bookselling and publishing at the time).

What kind of BS is that dog thing? Who in their right mind thinks a balloon dog is cuter than a real dog? People who have never seen a puppy? That story was horrific. I think the bigger lesson is don't leave your kid in the wagon alone. The dog died because of the parent's stupidity. 

9 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

I'm trying to imagine what Christian horror might be like:

He wrote some bloody, gory stuff where he threw in just enough Jesus to convince Christians they were reading something spiritual. I remember one with some sort of demon monster that terrorized a town shredding people. You knew it was coming for you when you woke up with a black spot on your chest. And no matter how you tried to escape it would get you. Or something like that, it has been years since I read it. 

New post about going to the zoo. Interesting to see Joshua holding Steve's hand and the others with the girls (except Calia - Joseph is holding her). I don't even read them anymore - I look at the pictures because they tell me so much more!

25 minutes ago, jegfile said:

New post about going to the zoo. 

this sentence below is a caption of one of the photos; i find it extremely irritating:

"Anna’s servant’s spirit shone through as she kept Calia so Elissa could ride with Joseph"

why the everloving hell couldn't she just say that Calia didn't want to ride, so Anna offered to stay with her?

4 hours ago, jegfile said:

New post about going to the zoo. Interesting to see Joshua holding Steve's hand and the others with the girls (except Calia - Joseph is holding her). I don't even read them anymore - I look at the pictures because they tell me so much more!

One thing they wrote that stood out to me was how only one of the younger girls wanted ice cream: "The only taker for ice cream when Uncle Joseph offered it!"

The older girl is still gradeschool aged. It's strange that a kid wouldn't want ice cream. I really hope she isn't dieting!

11 minutes ago, nomoxian said:

One thing they wrote that stood out to me was how only one of the younger girls wanted ice cream: "The only taker for ice cream when Uncle Joseph offered it!"

The older girl is still gradeschool aged. It's strange that a kid wouldn't want ice cream. I really hope she isn't dieting!

As a kid, I knew my stomach hurt when I ate ice cream or the cheese on pizza so I avoided those things. I was considered a weird eater by my peers. As an adult, I realized I am lactose intolerant. She may just not like it or get a stomach ache from it. 

Also, I feel like this isn't the first time that Teri has been surprised with a trip to the zoo. Sarah said Teri's heart sang to be surrounded by her family. She does see her family super often though. I mean...they can't be avoided. They're everywhere. Five adult kids still live at home I believe. 

I was that weird kid who didn't like ice cream. If it was melty it was too much like milk which I can't stand.  I liked sorbet and ices okay, but not ice cream.  I discovered ice cream at the UGA dairy store (strawberry ripple) and have been making up for lost time ever since.  

Sarah writes in the Mother's Day post that Teri loves spending time with the little ones.

I never get that impression from the blog.  This is the woman who had to schedule an hour a week to spend with her grandkids 'cause she realized they preferred their aunties to grandma.

Sarah always puts a line in these kinds of posts about how difficult it is coordinating these trips with the whole family.  I'd believe it if any of them had actual 9-5 jobs, but since none of them do...

Aside from that, it actually does look like a fun outing.

I'm really curious as to why John is *never* with them on excursions, etc., anymore. And never a mention as to why he's missing!

1 hour ago, nomoxian said:

Yeah, it seemed weird to me. Out of all them, only one kid wanted ice cream? No one even asked for a different snack? That's just odd. I know some people don't like ice cream, but not that many kids would say no. 

14 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Yeah, it seemed weird to me. Out of all them, only one kid wanted ice cream? No one even asked for a different snack? That's just odd. I know some people don't like ice cream, but not that many kids would say no. 

Maybe the kids have been trained not to ask. I also thought - maybe the kids don't want to take a gift because it will be turned against them later, like "look at all the good things we do for you, and this [meaning doing a not so good thing, but an age appropriate thing] is how you repay us?!"

I remember one time when I was around 6 years old at day camp when they took our van to McDonalds. They ordered ice cream cones through the Drive Thru, and the counsellor refused to give me a cup. I ended up not eating any because I didn't want to get messy, and I had never eaten a cone before so I wasn't even sure how to eat it. It never made sense to me why they didn't give me a cup, since it didn't cost any extra money, but that camp was big on being able to control kids behaviour - kinda like the Maxhells... Maybe the other kids wanted a different flavour and the parents said "eat what we get you or don't eat anything"

4 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Who stayed home with Sarah??

If Sarah stayef home alone I hope she snarfed down three animal crackers, drank Pepsi, and had quality time withe the adult toy of her choice.

6 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Who stayed home with Sarah??

From looking at the pictures, I'd say Christina.  Why?  I have no idea.  I hope that it wasn't because she was looking forward to going too much. 

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

For you, Sarah:

IMG_4529.JPG.766f4defb9295d3fdc9c22ffda0c2103.JPG

Yeah, if your heart starts singing, seek help.

23 hours ago, formergothardite said:

He wrote some bloody, gory stuff where he threw in just enough Jesus to convince Christians they were reading something spiritual. I remember one with some sort of demon monster that terrorized a town shredding people. You knew it was coming for you when you woke up with a black spot on your chest. And no matter how you tried to escape it would get you. Or something like that, it has been years since I read it. 

It was a dragon that could turn invisible and was somehow an embodiment of sin or something metaphoric made too literal.  It didn't really make sense.

Another example of Christian horror would be House co-authored by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker.  It had a creepy haunted house and a serial killer and... well it was really creepy.

-

I kinda like the giraffe pic.

11 hours ago, SPHASH said:

If Sarah stayef home alone I hope she snarfed down three animal crackers, drank Pepsi, and had quality time withe the adult toy of her choice.

She probably thinks that means really complicated LEGO.

17 hours ago, Fun-Dee said:

From looking at the pictures, I'd say Christina.  Why?  I have no idea.  I hope that it wasn't because she was looking forward to going too much. 

Me too, but Sarah mentioned that "a few had colds', so maybe she was one of them. I don't see Drew, either, or Melanie, Nathan and Benjamin, for that matter. John is also not there, too, but he seems to have more of his own life lately anyways. 

20 hours ago, bluelady said:

I'm really curious as to why John is *never* with them on excursions, etc., anymore. And never a mention as to why he's missing!

Maybe a Maxwell kid has finally gotten up the gumption to bolt.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived