IGNORED

Bates the 20th

choralcrusader8613

I'm sticking this here as well as in politics because of the relation to the Bates. I know there is this idea that the Bates are somehow less "bad" because some of them wear pants and watch secular movies, but I would like to introduce you to Sonny Pardue. He doesn't have the traditional "fundie" look, but just because there are no frumpers and he watches television doesn't mean he isn't fundie as hell. This is why it is so important not to think a person is less fundie because of how they dress or things like that. 

Back to Pardue, he is a die-hard Gothard supporter and guess what?! He is probably going to be in the White House. He places IBLP next to the Bible in terms of what influences his life choices. He has spoken at IBLP conferences and  IBLP uses him as an example of being godly in some of their literature. He has used his position in the government to try and spread Gothard teachings. 

So, yeah, this is why the Bates are so cute and cuddly. This is why it means shit when they start acting more normal while keeping their association with IBLP. Because on the surface this guy doesn't "look" like a Gothardite, but he very much is an now he is most likely going to be taking Gothard's teachings into the White House.

Don't be fooled by a superficial change of appearances with the Bates clan, they have given no signs of dropping IBLP

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I'm sticking this here as well as in politics because of the relation to the Bates. I know there is this idea that the Bates are somehow less "bad" because some of them wear pants and watch secular movies, but I would like to introduce you to Sonny Pardue. He doesn't have the traditional "fundie" look, but just because there are no frumpers and he watches television doesn't mean he isn't fundie as hell. This is why it is so important not to think a person is less fundie because of how they dress or things like that. 

Back to Pardue, he is a die-hard Gothard supporter and guess what?! He is probably going to be in the White House. He places IBLP next to the Bible in terms of what influences his life choices. He has spoken at IBLP conferences and  IBLP uses him as an example of being godly in some of their literature. He has used his position in the government to try and spread Gothard teachings. 

So, yeah, this is why the Bates are so cute and cuddly. This is why it means shit when they start acting more normal while keeping their association with IBLP. Because on the surface this guy doesn't "look" like a Gothardite, but he very much is an now he is most likely going to be taking Gothard's teachings into the White House.

Don't be fooled by a superficial change of appearances with the Bates clan, they have given no signs of dropping IBLP

My question for you is this. How do they decide? Do they have a meeting? Hey, we need to look more secular so we can suck people in? Who tells the Bates to change their clothes? 

55 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

My question for you is this. How do they decide? Do they have a meeting? Hey, we need to look more secular so we can suck people in? Who tells the Bates to change their clothes?

Gil and Kelly? I doubt it. No more than they had a meeting and realized they should stab Gothard in the back the second they could. Or should worm their way up into positions of power. Gil and Kelly are many things, but stupid isn't one of them. The secular things they Bates are seen doing have been a part of IBLP for a long time, they just didn't adopt these things until more recently. I doubt anyone told them to do all this, but they aren't fools and they would realize that since they are essentially running the cult, they need to look more normal to attract new members. 

Same terrible cult, nicer clothes and better entertainment options. 

IDK if this is allowed but Carlin just IG story a photo of her and mens feet with a heart. Is Carlin dating someone? I can't seem to get that picture up on here. It's in her stories not her IG post.

Thanks for the head's up @OyToTheVey. Here's the picture:

803114472_16461693908184780527.jpg

Certainly an interesting post of her to make. Cynical me thinks that it was posted for drama fuel for the show, though.

28 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Thanks for the head's up @OyToTheVey. Here's the picture:

803114472_16461693908184780527.jpg

Certainly an interesting post of her to make. Cynical me thinks that it was posted for drama fuel for the show, though.

Thanks! It wouldn't load for me. I don't even know what to think. It's a provocative post to make that's for sure.

Im sure shes seeing someone. I dont think the Bates really need fake drama for their show. Their show is on a small network, they are not popular enough to be tabloid fodder and they have plenty going on in real life to film for the show. I think the pic is pretty obvious.

On 2/10/2017 at 10:19 AM, CreationMuseumCurator said:

I haven't seen the episode, and thus the ring, but this was my initial thought when it being huge was discussed here. My MIL lost her original engagement ring years ago, and actually wanted CZ for the replacement, in case she loses it again. 

I find that so much more practical, plus procurement/production of CZ, as far as I know, isn't horrifically exploitative and funding terrorism and corrupt regimes.

Alyssa and family are in Tennessee for I Love You Day. Allie actually looks happy and cute. Awww.  

I know she is young but here she seems even younger to me she could almost be if not a big sister like a baby sitter for Allie...hard to think that she already has 2 daughters! 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Allie has such big eyes. She's like an anime character. 

That bow is ridiculously huge. It looks like it's the size of a dinner plate.

Is it just me or does this picture just come across as creepy? Or odd? Like that's just a natural photo pose... Because it's not. Also, hello 1980's-esque attire. Not a fan. 

image.jpeg

44 minutes ago, divadivine said:

Is it just me or does this picture just come across as creepy? Or odd? Like that's just a natural photo pose... Because it's not. Also, hello 1980's-esque attire. Not a fan. 

image.jpeg

That dress looks like the dresses they wore on the series "Big Love" (the one about the polygamists) when they had the big family gathering at the compound, everyone had to wear white, and the women wore frilly old fashioned dresses.

2 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

It looks like a Gunnie Sax blouse/dress. If it is...I'm jealous and where did she find it?!? 

You can find vintage Gunne Sax dresses and blouses on etsy and Ebay still. Unfortunately for me, they're always in the teeniest tiniest size possible.

But that style of blouse is becoming quite popular again, usually worn with skinny jeans or a pencil skirt. I've seen Free People and Urban Outfitters with similar Victorian style blouses. Belk's sells a few. 

@nausicaa,THANK YOU!! I miss my Gunnie Sax! I can no longer wear the tiny sizes but maybe 7-8...my boobs got too big...my son found a Gunnie Sax wedding dress at our local thrift store once.

8 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Alyssa and family are in Tennessee for I Love You Day. Allie actually looks happy and cute. Awww.  

Glad to see  Allie happy. Some Bates really really love mama Jane, I know it's normal to love your grandma but those Bates kids probably saw Jane's home as a real home, with real food and closer relationships. When your parents are fanatic breeders with no jobs, granny's farm must be an oasis!

As Zach and Alyssa are so close to Jane, I wonder if they can take her beliefs and decide to have a little family. Jane has stated she didn't like such a big family (in other words of course). Also Jane said Zach was down-to-Earth.

on the other hand, Lexi looks too small! I would carry her with a soft blancket. She looks fragile and unconfortable. But maybe it's just the picture. 

31 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Why is there hay all over the porch?

I think it's just decoration for the picture

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

That dress looks like the dresses they wore on the series "Big Love" (the one about the polygamists) when they had the big family gathering at the compound, everyone had to wear white, and the women wore frilly old fashioned dresses.

This is in fact a trendy blouse if worn with skinny pants. What makes the picture old fashioned is the wooden bed and the position of the couple. It remains me a 1980 magazine.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived