IGNORED

Bates the 20th

choralcrusader8613

Anybody know what caused the fire?

Lily & Ellie made it sound interesting:

"When Gil and Kelly find out how the fire was started, they know that difficult conversations will have to follow."

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen the episode but according to the recap he found fire started due to Jed and Jud playing with a lighter. 

"Judson and Jeb come clean: They accidentally started the fire while secretly playing with a lighter in the laundry room. “We’ve talked about ‘don’t play with fire,’” says Gil. “You think…everybody’s got it, but I guess they really didn’t get the seriousness of it.” The father of 19 has a serious talk with his two youngest children about the dangers of fire and plans to have more conversations with them in the coming days."

http://www.batesfamilyblog.com/2017/03/fire-trucks-and-diaper-dumps-recap.html?m=1

6 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

Haven't seen the episode but according to the recap he found fire started due to Jed and Jud playing with a lighter. 

Y'all, why were a 5 and 7 year old allowed to mess with a lighter unsupervised? I wasn't allowed to do that even when I was a Cadette scout. Yikes.

I missed the first 10 minutes but from the previews it looked like it was late and others were in bed already so they were up late, and unsupervised.  They won't show the discipline part but I bet the older girls will be held accountable even though Gil may have been at home at the time.  When you have 19 kids it shouldn't be a huge surprise that something like this would happen.

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Y'all, why were a 5 and 7 year old allowed to mess with a lighter unsupervised? I wasn't allowed to do that even when I was a Cadette scout. Yikes.

From what I could tell, they weren't supposed to be playing with it. It looks like they found it and decided it was a great idea. Each said it was the other's idea.

It sounded like Gil and some of the boys left early for a tree job and the others were still in bed.

So will Gil make the boys pay for the damage themselves, like JB make Smuggar pay for his therapy? The really sad part is I agree -- I bet the older girls will be blamed for not watching them.

This makes me curious, though - back home whenever there was an incident like that with a child, CPS was called in to do a review. My neighbor worked with the volunteer fire department and they were required to report it to CPS if a child was involved.

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

From what I could tell, they weren't supposed to be playing with it. It looks like they found it and decided it was a great idea. Each said it was the other's idea.

It sounded like Gil and some of the boys left early for a tree job and the others were still in bed.

And this is why parents need to have dangerous stuff like lighters locked up unless it's needed for something.

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

I missed the first 10 minutes but from the previews it looked like it was late and others were in bed already so they were up late, and unsupervised.  They won't show the discipline part but I bet the older girls will be held accountable even though Gil may have been at home at the time.  When you have 19 kids it shouldn't be a huge surprise that something like this would happen.

No it was early in the morning people were still sleeping, they were unsupervised. Gil, Nathan and two middle boys were on a tree job. I'm hoping Kelly and Gil will realize they need to stop constantly traveling without the little ones being under the care of teenagers. But yet again they went to Australia. I'm hoping when they do travel they either are them or leave with Michael and Brandon.

I think Gil was in complete shock, and that they will definitely discipline them. I also think Gil was just grateful in the moment that everyone was alive and that they have a home.

Thanks for clearing that up @Exjw2015deed.  Yeah, they still went to Australia and left the kids alone but if I'm not mistaken the younger kids got divided between the married couples.

I'm a lottle confused tbh. Why does a house with that many little kids even have lighters? No one in that house smokes. They don't need it for their stove. Why do they have it in the first place? And watch the girls be blamed for not watching their little brothers.

19 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm a lottle confused tbh. Why does a house with that many little kids even have lighters? No one in that house smokes. They don't need it for their stove. Why do they have it in the first place? And watch the girls be blamed for not watching their little brothers.

For lighting candles? Or outdoor grills?  

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

For lighting candles? Or outdoor grills?  

They could also use it for campfires. I do that because I don't like messing with matches.

I am watching it now and basically Gil said that they thought it was a dryer fire or something (what I was thinking as well), but then the boys admitted they had been playing with a lighter and kind of blamed each other.  As for why there was a lighter in the house - in the episode when he's talking to the boys about the dangers of lighters and fire, he's loading logs into a wood-burning stove (makes sense since they work with trees and probably have access to a lot of logs) - they might use a lighter to light that.  In any case, even if you lock things up or put them where you think kids can't get them, sometimes kids get into mischief.  I am in no way excusing the laissez-faire method of "parenting" of Gil and Kelly, but hopefully this was a wake up call for everyone involved.  Zach talked about how he happened to be on duty at the time and had to go to his own family's house and make a report about it, and he also mentioned how the boys didn't seem to understand just how serious playing with fire was.  It was probably the most grave they've ever shown Zach, and as a father himself, this probably hit close to home.  Gil did say on the show they'd talk more about it later and the seriousness of it, but it's not like they would show any major discipline of any of the kids, the older girls or the youngest boys, on the show.  Considering that Michael(la) (and at least one of the older boys?) volunteered with their local EMT service, it's not like the family hasn't witnessed tragedy, so perhaps they just didn't drill the dangers into the littlest boys enough or they just thought actions did not have consequences - the older kids say how spoiled the youngest boys are - hopefully everyone learned something from this and the oldest girls weren't blamed for this.

9 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Thanks for clearing that up @Exjw2015deed.  Yeah, they still went to Australia and left the kids alone but if I'm not mistaken the younger kids got divided between the married couples.

Yeah I just checked through Instagram, thankfully it appears they did divide them. I can see how the fire happened, luckily Lawson closed that door the way he did or they would've had way more damage.

Gil and Kelly, they are youur kids. YOU should be raising them, not their older siblings. This is squarely on you. You could have lost your kids and your house. FUCK YOU!

I had totally missed the "Nathan in Mississippi" part! Thanks for bringing it up. Maybe he got tired of the whole dog&pony show after the failed "dating for Jesus" with Ashley. 

Any news on Ashley, by the way? She's kind of gone radio silence since...

4 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I had totally missed the "Nathan in Mississippi" part! Thanks for bringing it up. Maybe he got tired of the whole dog&pony show after the failed "dating for Jesus" with Ashley. 

Any news on Ashley, by the way? She's kind of gone radio silence since...

I think it's less that she's gone radio silent, and more that no one cares about her any more. ;) From her latest Instagram posts, it looks like she's busy protesting against choice and harassing Indian children (looks like she grifted enough money for her missions trip).

When my husband was about 8 or 9, he and some neighborhood friends accidentally set a garage on fire with a lighter they found on the sidewalk. Even in the best supervision (my in laws were pretty strict), things can happen. I am glad nobody was hurt and I hope the younger boys learned their lesson. 

I hate how scared I am for little Jud and Jeb, even though this happened probably four months ago. I don't want to imagine what they had to endure for their mistake. Was it a big one? Yes. But should they have been being watched since they were around 6 and 4 when that happened? HELL YES!

I also hate that when Gil was "having a talk with them" he told the boys they should come to him if either of them has a lighter again. Guess what, Gil? YOU WEREN'T FUCKING HOME AND YOU DON'T TAKE CARE OF THE KIDS! At least tell them out of earshot to go to one of the older girls FFS.

This was the most entertaining episode in a while. Between the fire and figuring out what happened and then Michael and Alyssa being honest about Michael/Brandon's trouble conceiving this was the most real episode I can remember. 

(I don't watch the show, so sorry for the stupid questions.)

So did they just happen to have the camera team around when they had the fire? Or didn't they show the actual fire, just the aftermath?

Anyway, with normal families I would probably agree with the "some kids will always find a way to get into trouble, no matter how careful you are" sentiments. However, this being a fundie family - and they've already shown us plenty of neglect - I'm going to say that Gil and Kelly are 100 % responsible for this incident. I think they just assume that they can leave lighters lying around, since they don't believe in child-proofing houses (they believe in house-proofing children).

If anybody deserves an ass whipping, it's Gil and Kelly, not the kids.

@JillyO it appeared as if they called the camera crew as soon as they got out of the house. They had a shaky camera phone or go pro video of Gil and the boys driving back from the job site after getting called by Lawson. In real time we got to see Gil find out that the little boys caused the fire when one made an off hand comment. 

Watching the episode now. I am just shaking my head over this fire. You can't have little kids just roaming a house and expect the older kids to watch them. Who was feeding the littles? Clothing them, cleaning them, supervising them, etc...? It sounds like a lot of the adult kids were still sleeping. And I cringe thinking about what went down when the cameras weren't rolling. The older kids getting in trouble for not watching the littles and the littles getting in trouble too. And you'd think? that the parents would learn and say well oops can't leave the littles alone anymore. But they end the episode with Gil flying down to Florida for a diaper dump (whatever the fuck that is) because he misses his WIFE? Dude, go parent your kids!

Even Alyssa didn't think he'd come down to Florida.  He tried to phrase it as showing her that she is still important to him.  But the craziness of meeting up with his wife after 5 days apart.... After it came out that the little boys had started the fire it made more sense why they thought one of them might be in the laundry room at the time of the fire. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived