IGNORED

Ben, Jessa, Spurgeon Six

SpoonfulOSugar

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just getting around to watching the recorded Counting on. 

So - does anyone else notice that Jessa's speech pattern is sounding like Binwit's?     

Why do I find it so very annoying?    UGH   There are so many things about that family to be annoyed about so her speech pattern sounding like his should be low on the list

On 4/24/2016 at 1:38 AM, Jinder Roles said:

That's very interesting. I've lived in several Caribbean countries and have never heard a Caribbean black person refer to themselves as African-American. Perhaps in happens in USVI because Virgin Islanders are American citizens? Actually in the Caribbean people tend to identify themselves from what island they're from first, before their race/ethnicity

That's how people in Canada who are from that part of the world (either by birth or through their grand/parents) tend to describe themselves. In non-profit organizations like drop-in centres and other official places like schools, the term "Afro-Caribbean" is used instead of "African American"

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:01 PM, Audrey2 said:

The way I see it, there are three possible outcomes for these fundamentalist children. The first is that they continue as adults doing exactly what they were raised to do, chugging and spewing the kool aid. The second is that they pull a bold runner and escape quickly from their upbringing. I know that is what we on this board are rooting for, but I don't see it as a likely outcome for either the Duggar or Bates children. The third possibility is that they marry, then with their spouse slowly and almost imperceptibility drift away. I see this as being the most likely way an adult would escape. Jim Bob and Michelle didn't wake up full on Fundy one morning, it was a process they eased into, probably moving a bit faster because of the miscarriage. I think the drift scenario is the most likely. We are seeing little bits of that now, with Jessa married to Bin, who seems more interested in wordly things than she is. 

I wonder if that kind of escape would actually be successful.  It seems to me like cutting down on smoking.  If you go from a pack a day down to like 3 cigarettes, you're still smoking and will eventually get sucked back in.  If you look at the people that actually escaped, they are so definitively against the cult and want absolutely nothing to do with them.  Like Anna's brother and regular no longer quivering people.  No one is only half in the cult.

If you see people like some of the Bates girls that just start wearing pants or whatever, I believe when push comes to shove they will toe the line just like it never happened and be back to square one.

I could see one of the bates kids sitting down w/M?D & telling  them they "wanted to leave for a while *Not I'm leaving & never coming back* and see how I like it." Yes, I can see them saying "take ....w/you."

In the Duggar family, I can see the kids not daring to tell M/D, but creeping away in the night like the Amish do, & they would  spend every last drop of blood in their body to find them, guilt them out & drag them home.

it didnt really add the to the discussion, I noticed. sorry.

basically, I wanted to contribute to the race/identity discussion because I found it interesting. I'm Canadian of Italian/Tunisian and Dominican heritage and I don't like when people try to make me choose just one, as my entire background makes me who I am as a person, culturally and physically :) oh and I don't like when they make you choose just one race on those government forms.

I cannot imagine that Ben and Jessa will end up with anything other than disdain for each other in the long run. The whole courtship bullshit sets all up to be miserable. If the first, and only, feelings you are allowed to have for another human being are for the one you marry...well, one, it's all forced/by the book, and two, nothing is real or sincere.

Jessa and Ben have nothing going for themselves other than TLC's paycheck and publicity. Neither has a clue how to be functioning, caring, involved human beings. That's sad. 

Jimbob and Michelle failed their kids and there is no way around that. Now, their influence is failing their grandkids. If they want a compound, they pretty much created it. No one will be capable of doing anything more than living on mommy & daddy's fringes. 

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Audrey2 said:

The way I see it, there are three possible outcomes for these fundamentalist children. The first is that they continue as adults doing exactly what they were raised to do, chugging and spewing the kool aid. The second is that they pull a bold runner and escape quickly from their upbringing. I know that is what we on this board are rooting for, but I don't see it as a likely outcome for either the Duggar or Bates children. The third possibility is that they marry, then with their spouse slowly and almost imperceptibility drift away. I see this as being the most likely way an adult would escape. Jim Bob and Michelle didn't wake up full on Fundy one morning, it was a process they eased into, probably moving a bit faster because of the miscarriage. I think the drift scenario is the most likely. We are seeing little bits of that now, with Jessa married to Bin, who seems more interested in wordly things than she is. 

If it weren't for the show Jim Bob would've probably married off everyone over 18 by now. Can't have 16 kids at home while you have to feed em and clothe em

13 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

If it weren't for the show Jim Bob would've probably married off everyone over 18 by now. Can't have 16 kids at home while you have to feed em and clothe em

What real difference does it make if they are living in his house or if he has to provide another house for them to live in.  I'm sure he is still controlling the purse strings.   

I'd really be interested to know how he shells out the money for each married child.   Do the kids get an allowance? 

I believe JB enjoys the control he has over the married couples. He gave the green light for two yes men to marry Jill and Jessa. I doubt the other girls will be married to a strong, independent man who can support his own family without tapping into the Bank of Boob.

I am not a parent, and while I have nannied for quite a few infants, none of their parents ever used baby wearing so IDK... but is spurgie's little neck okay like this? I just want to support his little head. 

tumblr_o6h5fvTlo41tl94kio10_500.jpg (public image from 19kidsandloving.tumblr.com)

If he's over 4 months old, he's probably ok, but he LOOKS very uncomfortable.

Since making fun of how Bin dresses never goes out of style, I'll leave this here......
(Sorry if this shouldn't be here, the LOL Duggar thread was locked).

bin.jpg

1 hour ago, Casserole said:

I am not a parent, and while I have nannied for quite a few infants, none of their parents ever used baby wearing so IDK... but is spurgie's little neck okay like this? I just want to support his little head. 

tumblr_o6h5fvTlo41tl94kio10_500.jpg (public image from 19kidsandloving.tumblr.com)

It looks like he's doing it on purpose and deliberately looking at something (probably what ever is on top of the green column (light/balloon etc).

Just watched some clips from last weeks episode. While driving to Jill and Derick's house in CA Ben remarks that "Spurgeon doesn't have a agenda for the day usually... Just eats, sleeps..." And I couldn't help but think Ben's life isn't that much different. Eat, sleep, do Jim Bob's bidding. 

Watched a bit more and just wanted to add a few things: 

Jinger remarking about what it was like for Sophia to return to the orphanage, "where she came from"-- um ok.

Jessa getting all emotional about all the orphans. Well, that is like what life is like for many children around the world but you want to contribute as many kids as possible yourself to our overpopulated world. I don't think she'll ever end up adopting.  

6 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Jessa getting all emotional about all the orphans. Well, that is like what life is like for many children around the world but you want to contribute as many kids as possible yourself to our overpopulated world. I don't think she'll ever end up adopting.  

Jessa's understanding of adoption and what it means to be an orphan consistently seems incredibly shallow, too.

It's easy to be sympathetic toward a cute child in an orphanage. It's a lot harder to acknowledge that global poverty and income inequality have led to the creation of vast numbers of "economic orphans" who have at least one parent alive but lacking the resources to care for them, that women's lack of reproductive choice leaves children adrift as well as harming the woman herself and sapping the strength of families, and that political intervention by the United States has contributed heavily to a number of the problems faced by the people of El Salvador.

Just going to another country and adopting some babies (or worse, gawking at and crying over some children in an orphanage) is not going to solve the problems that led to the children being without their families in the first place, and I have never seen Jessa show the slightest understanding of that, for all her talk of always wanting to adopt.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Just going to another country and adopting some babies (or worse, gawking at and crying over some children in an orphanage) is not going to solve the problems that led to the children being without their families in the first place, and I have never seen Jessa show the slightest understanding of that, for all her talk of always wanting to adopt.

YES YES YES. Man, these people just make me so mad sometimes. They do absolutely nothing to ever improve anything, and yet still somehow think they're the ones we should all learn from. Go suck an egg, as my grandma would say.

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Exactly. And the colonialism that has caused a lot of these issues I'm sure has either gone over her head, or she's unfortunately been taught it was a good thing, because at least the colonialism brought souls to Christ.

Maybe she wants that awe and attention they all give the children at the orphanage. Like Jessa, Ben, and their rainbow of adopted and bio children all go walking by and everyone goes, "Oh wow," amazed at their sacrifice and godly virtues for taking these poor unwanted kids in.

At the end of this clip they started asking all the Duggar kids about adoption and they all jumped on the bandwagon! It was not believable at all to me, esp. considering Gotherd's beliefs on adoption. Heck, every few months Jim Bob and Michelle make the tabloids cause they say, "We MIGHT adopt a child." It's just another way for attention.

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

Jessa's understanding of adoption and what it means to be an orphan consistently seems incredibly shallow, too.

It's easy to be sympathetic toward a cute child in an orphanage. It's a lot harder to acknowledge that global poverty and income inequality have led to the creation of vast numbers of "economic orphans" who have at least one parent alive but lacking the resources to care for them, that women's lack of reproductive choice leaves children adrift as well as harming the woman herself and sapping the strength of families, and that political intervention by the United States has contributed heavily to a number of the problems faced by the people of El Salvador.

So summarizing, preventing the necessity of adoption is a much better thing than adoption. Adoption is treating symptoms, but not causes. While offering children a loving family is a great thing, the tragedy that this is even necessary is often overlooked. 

But you don't get ratings with tragedies and complicated problems that need long-term solutions. You get ratings with feel good stories of helpless orphans, who by the grace of the Duggars land safely in a full quiver.

2 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Heck, every few months Jim Bob and Michelle make the tabloids cause they say, "We MIGHT adopt a child." It's just another way for attention.

No kidding!  They've been saying this for how many YEARS now?!  JB and DQ have had plenty of time to make headway if they were truly serious, but still no adopted J-kid.  

*crickets*

2 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

So summarizing, preventing the necessity of adoption is a much better thing than adoption. Adoption is treating symptoms, but not causes. While offering children a loving family is a great thing, the tragedy that this is even necessary is often overlooked. 

But you don't get ratings with tragedies and complicated problems that need long-term solutions. You get ratings with feel good stories of helpless orphans, who by the grace of the Duggars land safely in a full quiver.

they treat the symptoms the duggars or the seewalds - they are the cause and root of all problems 

they need to stop the grandstanding and prostitution and embrace the reality of their lives

they need to stop being so shallow and i am looking at Jessa - she sounds like a dog with a bone 

and Ben needs to man up and realize that Spurgeon uses more than seven diapers a day 

i think she was making fun of him about the diapers 

17 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Just watched some clips from last weeks episode. While driving to Jill and Derick's house in CA Ben remarks that "Spurgeon doesn't have a agenda for the day usually... Just eats, sleeps..." And I couldn't help but think Ben's life isn't that much different. Eat, sleep, do Jim Bob's bidding. 

Watched a bit more and just wanted to add a few things: 

Jinger remarking about what it was like for Sophia to return to the orphanage, "where she came from"-- um ok.

Didn't watch the episode but maybe being in the orphanage gave Jessa flashbacks to HER OWN LIFE growing up. 15 kids living in a 3 BR/2BA home.

On 4/30/2016 at 11:30 PM, Chelio93 said:

Jessa didn't make TMZ but she did make Fishwrapper (the name says it all). Step above blind items but it shows how far they have fallen. 

http://www.fishwrapper.com/post/2016/04/28/jessa-duggar-baby-spurgeon-motherhood-parenting-molestation-claims-josh-brother-pictures-photos-pics/

I'm ot sure what Fishwrapper is but tbh I thought it was a rapping Sturgeon and a really good joke about Binilla Ice and Spurge-bob. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:41 PM, Sweet Fellowship said:

I believe JB enjoys the control he has over the married couples. He gave the green light for two yes men to marry Jill and Jessa. I doubt the other girls will be married to a strong, independent man who can support his own family without tapping into the Bank of Boob.

There might be some hope if one of the girls marries into the Bates family. Still fundie but w/a little more autonomy.

16 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

Yes, exactly. I think it is absolutely essential for any adoptive parent to have a really solid understanding of their child's losses, and of the broader context (both globally and locally) of why children are available for adoption in the first place. 

That doesn't mean they shouldn't go on to adopt, of course. There are children out there who truly need families, and for whom adoption presents the only chance of being raised in a loving home rather than an institution or a series of impermanent situations.

The knowledge needs to be there, though. So does the humility that you are not a savior. I don't see the Seewalds demonstrating either of those things, or even a willingness to learn and move past their own assumptions and biases.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived