IGNORED

Ben, Jessa, Spurgeon Six

SpoonfulOSugar

1 minute ago, EmCatlyn said:

I think most of the "fear God" stuff comes from the OT, which would be Hebrew, not Greek. It is all over Psalms and Proverbs.

The "virgin/young woman" confusion actually happened from Hebrew to Greek.  The passage in Isaiah that allegedly prophesies the birth of Jesus uses the Hebrew word almah (spelling?) which was translated as parthenos, virgin. I think in the Septuagint.

My sense is that fear of God is more accurately represented by our modern concept of "awe" regardless of translation.  The power of God should impress.  But it is silly to assume God has nothing better to do than go around "smiting" sinners.

Well, to be fair, smiting is like 90% of what happens in the OT.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I think most of the "fear God" stuff comes from the OT, which would be Hebrew, not Greek. It is all over Psalms and Proverbs.

The "virgin/young woman" confusion actually happened from Hebrew to Greek.  The passage in Isaiah that allegedly prophesies the birth of Jesus uses the Hebrew word almah (spelling?) which was translated as parthenos, virgin. I think in the Septuagint.

My sense is that fear of God is more accurately represented by our modern concept of "awe" regardless of translation.  The power of God should impress.  But it is silly to assume God has nothing better to do than go around "smiting" sinners.

I "fear" that if it were true, God would be too busy smiting to do anything else. Whatever else God does. Hmmmmm......and smiting is a great word. 

@Shadoewolf, you're right about real estate brokers being a step above real estate agents -usually.  I think that there are constraints about calling yourself an agent if you've not passed the exam and gotten your license, but not so if you call yourself a broker.  It depends a lot on your jurisdiction as it varies from state to state.

My daughter took and passed the exam and she proudly displays the Realtor sticker on her car. (Being a member of the National Association of Realtors is not automatic if you pass the exam, btw.)  I'm not sure that her husband has ever taken the exam though and he still calls himself a broker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_broker

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

@Shadoewolf, you're right about real estate brokers being a step above real estate agents -usually.  I think that there are constraints about calling yourself an agent if you've not passed the exam and gotten your license, but not so if you call yourself a broker.  It depends a lot on your jurisdiction as it varies from state to state.

My daughter took and passed the exam and she proudly displays the Realtor sticker on her car. (Being a member of the National Association of Realtors is not automatic if you pass the exam, btw.)  I'm not sure that her husband has ever taken the exam though and he still calls himself a broker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_broker

Have we ever heard of Ben taking and passing any real estate exams, or even studying real estate in general? I think if he had done such, there would have been some sort of acknowledgment. These folks never seem to learn with the fake credentials. It makes them look foolish as well as dishonest.

They pump up each with false credentials- Face it, most of them are not qualified to do anything, and worse yet, they are not doing anything about obtaining employable skills, knowledge or actual credentials.

They need to shut the show down and put their efforts into education or solid skills enhancements.

Real estate would be a very good start.

Didn't Ben work AT a real estate agents just before moving in with the Duggars? Just briefly... or was it an insurance agency...? Now I've confused myself.

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I "fear" that if it were true, God would be too busy smiting to do anything else. Whatever else God does. Hmmmmm......and smiting is a great word. 

I'm what I would characterize as your average, run of the mill sinner.  I commit a bunch of petty sins, like lying (I'm sorry I can't come to your second cousin's baby shower [second cousin being a person I've never even met] because I have to do something else that day), cursing (I'm a frequent flyer on that sin), and occasionally I covet someone else's possessions, stuff like that.

If God didn't smite that evil person who kept three women hostage for years; if God didn't smite down Hitler; if God didn't smite down Jared Fogle and and Jerry Sandusky -- am I really to believe God is frowning down upon me, ready to strike at any minute?  Me and my petty little sins? 

Not that I don't believe I should try to do better.  I start off every day with the desire and intention to be kind to those I meet, to turn the other cheek when someone cuts me off in traffic and not fume at them, to try to be the best person I can be.  I admit I am far from perfect, but I am also pretty far from being a wretched excuse for a human being. 

5 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I'm what I would characterize as your average, run of the mill sinner.  I commit a bunch of petty sins, like lying (I'm sorry I can't come to your second cousin's baby shower [second cousin being a person I've never even met] because I have to do something else that day), cursing (I'm a frequent flyer on that sin), and occasionally I covet someone else's possessions, stuff like that.

If God didn't smite that evil person who kept three women hostage for years; if God didn't smite down Hitler; if God didn't smite down Jared Fogle and and Jerry Sandusky -- am I really to believe God is frowning down upon me, ready to strike at any minute?  Me and my petty little sins? 

Not that I don't believe I should try to do better.  I start off every day with the desire and intention to be kind to those I meet, to turn the other cheek when someone cuts me off in traffic and not fume at them, to try to be the best person I can be.  I admit I am far from perfect, but I am also pretty far from being a wretched excuse for a human being. 

Arent all sins equal in fundiedom?  I'm pretty much damned.

Today I lied about why I was late (I forgot about a meeting) and that I brought my lunch (I didnt want to go with them).

I had impure thoughts about a man that wasnt my husband.  DAMN YOU NORMAN REEDUS!

I coveted lottery winners when considering how I'm going to pay for my dog's medical needs

I let anger control a decision

I took god's name in vain... a lot... 

I made plans for the weekend, on the sabbath!

This is so frightening!!! So many confessions of sins right here on FJ!!!

I feel right at home. 

18 minutes ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Didn't Ben work AT a real estate agents just before moving in with the Duggars? Just briefly... or was it an insurance agency...? Now I've confused myself.

I remember that he worked for State Farm- so an insurance agency.

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

Today I lied about why I was late (I forgot about a meeting) and that I brought my lunch (I didnt want to go with them).

I had impure thoughts about a man that wasnt my husband.  DAMN YOU NORMAN REEDUS!

I coveted lottery winners when considering how I'm going to pay for my dog's medical needs

Yet another reason I could never be fundie - I'm too logical.  No way all sins are equal.  I think if everyone told the absolute truth all the time, there would be a lot of hurt feelings.  "No, I didn't bring my lunch today but I'd rather sit at my desk and eat a stale rice cake than go out to lunch with you.  Nothing personal."  "Yes, those pants do make your butt look huge."  "Oh my god, what happened to your hair?  Did it get stuck in a blender?"

2 hours ago, lascuba said:

Did anyone see that movie "The Catechism Cataclysm" with Steve Little?

There's a song in the movie about all the Old Testament smiting that's pretty funny. ;)

2 hours ago, lascuba said:

I guess after God created the world, he needed a hobby.

49 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I guess after God created the world, he needed a hobby.

But....but....smiting seems so unnecessary.  Couldn't he have just created other worlds????

Since everyone's confessing to their sins, I.........DROPPED THE SCREW......IN THE TUNA!!!!

20 minutes ago, gustava said:

But....but....smiting seems so unnecessary.  Couldn't he have just created other worlds????

Well, what do we really know about that?!?!?!

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I remember that he worked for State Farm- so an insurance agency.

Yup. The real estate thing began when they documented all of the kidults' "professions" before either the 3 specials or JJ:CO. Ben was listed at the time as a student at that bible college and being "in real esatate." The broker stuff is quite recent. I think I saw it on Pickles. 

58 minutes ago, gustava said:

According to Mormons, he did.

4 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

He was installing windshields.

55 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

He was installing windshields.

He did both for a time when he still lived in Hot Springs. 

Does a broker have to pass the RE exam? Does this vary from state to state? I'm sure Ben has gotten around this requirement pretty  much the same way Jana became an "electrician" or Justin a "mechanic." Duggar PR is notorious for this kind of thing.

And God should smite them for lying. That's the #1 question on the Good Person test. :dramallama-nanner:

34 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Does a broker have to pass the RE exam? Does this vary from state to state? I'm sure Ben has gotten around this requirement pretty  much the same way Jana became an "electrician" or Justin a "mechanic." Duggar PR is notorious for this kind of thing.

And God should smite them for lying. That's the #1 question on the Good Person test. :dramallama-nanner:

Pants on fire......

35 minutes ago, marmalade said:

brokers and real estate agents are different here 

and if Ben is a broker - you need to have way more experience 

we have managing brokers who run real estate company's 

On 10.5.2016 at 9:35 PM, Buzzard said:

NOT ON THE SABBATH! :shocked:

On 10/5/2016 at 11:05 PM, gustava said:

God could have done what I did playing SimCity: forget my non-working cities and trying new cities again and again, praying they will grow richer than the older ones. I didn't stay playing with my "bad" cities, punishing that poor citizens.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived