IGNORED

Ben, Jessa, Spurgeon Six

SpoonfulOSugar

@

@barbecutie damnit, you're right.  Next Jana meme. Also, forgive all the riffles in spelling cause I literally made it in like 5 minutes. Pretend it's ALL intentional lol

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 19Kittens said:

@

@barbecutie damnit, you're right.  Next Jana meme. Also, forgive all the riffles in spelling cause I literally made it in like 5 minutes. Pretend it's ALL intentional lol

Honestly, all the misspellings give the meme more character. 

Okay yuck I just watched Ben + Jessa's couscous recipe video and that recipe was vile. Maybe I'm being biased because I don't like cucumbers but something about their couscous, chicken, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers in a bowl is making my stomach turn. No wonder Ben looks so miserable all the time; I would too if I had to eat couscous garbage bowls for dinner.

Also Jessa having Spurgeon strapped to her while shes cooking over a hot stove? Wtf? Why do these people act like they want their children to get injured?!

heres the video btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OGC4Y13xk

It looked to me like Ben was cooking the chicken, not Jessa. While it might not be the combination I would use, it didn't look bad. Better than Cream of Duggar, anyway.

Who cooks their chicken in just butter and black pepper? No garlic or onion? Or thyme? Paprika? Something? Apart from lack of seasoning, it doesn't look too bad.

Also, wouldn't it be better to cook the chicken in olive oil instead of butter? Someone please tell Jessa that lots of butter isn't good for you. 

I eat a low carb, high fat diet to keep my blood sugar under control.  I always saute with butter, or a combination of butter and coconut oil.  My cholesterol levels are within normal range.  Butter is a healthy fat.  If I made Jessa's recipe, I'd omit the couscous and cucumber, and replace with zucchini noodles sauteed in butter tthen topped with grated cheese melted in heavy cream.  

Sounds like they are at least trying to expand their cooking horizons.  I hope she is enjoying cooking just for two.

My only thoughts about the video:

1. That kitchen is utterly wasted on them. I could cook all sorts of delicious delicious meals in a kitchen like that.

2. At least they're using fresh ingredients this time.

3. That recipe doesn't make me want to blow chunks. A minor miracle considering just thinking about pot roast and decaf coffee made me nauseous this morning. Velocibaby appears to have firm opinions already. :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

I eat a low carb, high fat diet to keep my blood sugar under control.  I always saute with butter, or a combination of butter and coconut oil.  My cholesterol levels are within normal range.  Butter is a healthy fat.  If I made Jessa's recipe, I'd omit the couscous and cucumber, and replace with zucchini noodles sauteed in butter tthen topped with grated cheese melted in heavy cream.  

Sounds like they are at least trying to expand their cooking horizons.  I hope she is enjoying cooking just for two.

I eat this way too. Butter is not bad for you. All that low-fat, high-grain eating has made us the sick nation we are today. The book Wheat Belly Total Health has changed my life. Jessa has her annoying points, but her butter use is okay. 

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

It looked to me like Ben was cooking the chicken, not Jessa. While it might not be the combination I would use, it didn't look bad. Better than Cream of Duggar, anyway.

well since she had spurgeon clinging on to her necklace - i am glad she wasn't cooking something on the stove so spud could hurt himself

and does anyone else think Jessa looks a little puffed 

5 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Who cooks their chicken in just butter and black pepper? No garlic or onion? Or thyme? Paprika? Something? Apart from lack of seasoning, it doesn't look too bad.

Also, wouldn't it be better to cook the chicken in olive oil instead of butter? Someone please tell Jessa that lots of butter isn't good for you. 

i never use butter unless I am making cinnamon toast. - i use olive oil and garlic a lot :D

46 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

My only thoughts about the video:

1. That kitchen is utterly wasted on them. I could cook all sorts of delicious delicious meals in a kitchen like that.

2. At least they're using fresh ingredients this time.

3. That recipe doesn't make me want to blow chunks. A minor miracle considering just thinking about pot roast and decaf coffee made me nauseous this morning. Velocibaby appears to have firm opinions already. :pb_lol:

my thoughts were 

they have a lot  of knick knacks and crap - i am a minimalist - so that would drive  me nuts. 

I hate cherries  or those red things they used 

they obviously like butter and I don't like couscous 

ARE YOU PREGNANT :) WONDERFUL NEWS 

33 minutes ago, nst said:

well since she had spurgeon clinging on to her necklace - i am glad she wasn't cooking something on the stove so spud could hurt himself

and does anyone else think Jessa looks a little puffed 

i never use butter unless I am making cinnamon toast. - i use olive oil and garlic a lot :D

my thoughts were 

they have a lot  of knick knacks and crap - i am a minimalist - so that would drive  me nuts. 

I hate cherries  or those red things they used 

they obviously like butter and I don't like couscous 

ARE YOU PREGNANT :) WONDERFUL NEWS 

Lol! Yes. A little over five weeks now. Feeling more symptoms and much more confident than I did with my first pregnancy, so we are cautiously hopeful for a good outcome this time.

Just now, VelociRapture said:

Lol! Yes. A little over five weeks now. Feeling more symptoms and much more confident than I did with my first pregnancy, so we are cautiously hopeful for a good outcome this time.

its going to be wonderful for you ! :) Wonderful !!

I had to roll my eyes over the caption "Please excuse the weeks worth of grease spatter on my stovetop." Ben can't find a few seconds in his busy schedule of doing nothing to clean the stovetop?

3 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I had to roll my eyes over the caption "Please excuse the weeks worth of grease spatter on my stovetop." Ben can't find a few seconds in his busy schedule of doing nothing to clean the stovetop?

That actually made ROFL so hard - when I read that on the video 

these people are messy pure and simple 

hire someone if you can't clean under a bed (after you give birth on same bed) 

WHO did the sheets if Jessa was  in the hospital overnight 

Jana 

please 

I don't think the recipe looks bad. I only like cucumbers by themselves and I hate cherry tomatoes so I would substitute different veggies and probably add a little garlic and maybe onion to the chicken. It's much better than the food she was raised up on. No cream of crap soup or veggies in a can!

And butter itself doesnt have to be bad for you. One thing I can agree with Jessa on is that butter gets a bad rap. 

Overall, this isnt a recipe I would snark on.

Would I eat it as it? No. But am I a little excited that there are fresh vegetables and no processed crap? Yes. 

I'd add feta, kalamata olives and a red wine vinegar to make it more of a greek salad hybrid dish. And season the chicken. But there's potential there to not follow in the unhealthy footsteps of their parents. Now let's see if the food remains fresh when there's eleventy children 

I know that the Duggars girls were supposed to be raised as wives and mothers, but we've talked about how their cooking skills are lacking. Although I'm generally not a fan of hers, I am proud of Jessa and Ben trying new foods and recipes. It's what many newlyweds do- try new things to determine what foods they will like and learn to cook. We all know her background and how obnoxious her family is, led by Jim Bob, when trying new foods. I've heard many stories of newlyweds who can barely boil water, who develop into decent cooks. There will be missteps along the way, and meals they agree to never talk about again.

I've always enjoyed cooking, but still have the story of the string beans that haunts me.

2 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I eat this way too. Butter is not bad for you. All that low-fat, high-grain eating has made us the sick nation we are today. The book Wheat Belly Total Health has changed my life. Jessa has her annoying points, but her butter use is okay. 

Ah...this sounds like a good recommendation. I got this book at Wegmans awhile back but haven't really looked at it. Could you wax poetic a little about it?  Is it like the Paleo diet?  I am having trouble disciplining myself to do these very healthful things. Sigh. 

If I ate meat, I would totally eat that couscous dish. As it is, I eat a similar one with no cheese or meat in it as a light summer side dish. Goes well with picnics. 

10 hours ago, PecanThief said:

Okay yuck I just watched Ben + Jessa's couscous recipe video and that recipe was vile. Maybe I'm being biased because I don't like cucumbers but something about their couscous, chicken, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers in a bowl is making my stomach turn. No wonder Ben looks so miserable all the time; I would too if I had to eat couscous garbage bowls for dinner.

Also Jessa having Spurgeon strapped to her while shes cooking over a hot stove? Wtf? Why do these people act like they want their children to get injured?!

heres the video btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OGC4Y13xk

Maybe you're cooking up a uterus blessing????  

PS @VelociRapture  Congratulations on  YOUR blessing!  I am so happy to hear your news!

There is a note to excuse the week's worth of grease spatters on the stove!  WTF????   If you are making a video to post wouldn't you at least PRETEND that you've cared enough to clean up the freakin space that you are showing on the video?   Why the hell was the stove not cleaned for a week? And it's a bonus to find clean spoons in the drawer?    WTF do they do all day that they can't clean up after a meal?  

Oh yeah!  I know!   They are in that unmade bed..... 

3 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

There is a note to excuse the week's worth of grease spatters on the stove!  WTF????   If you are making a video to post wouldn't you at least PRETEND that you've cared enough to clean up the freakin space that you are showing on the video?   Why the hell was the stove not cleaned for a week? And it's a bonus to find clean spoons in the drawer?    WTF do they do all day that they can't clean up after a meal?  

Immaturity and laziness.

It's like Lord of the flippin Flies.

9 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

I completely understand sometimes having a messy kitchen or unmade beds but I don't understand filming or taking photos for the world to see without cleaning up first. I mean, isn't that what homemakers do? Make the home nice to live in...? I work full time but could never imagine leaving grease splatters on my stove for a week. :my_confused: 

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

My prayers/good wishes go out to you.  Sorry you're having nausea and hope it passes soon. 

Ben and Jessa share a trait with my 18-year old son - they are kind of slobs.  My son wouldn't notice the grease on the stove top until there was a grease fire.  However, since he's still in high school, I give him a pass.  Once he's married with children, he'd better figure out some basic cleaning techniques.  It takes less than five minutes to wipe down the stove top and counter tops with a mildly soapy sponge, or use a paper towel and some vinegar/water.  (I cannot stand dirty dishes in the sink, a mess on the counter top or a greasy stove top - gross!)

11 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

What, you don't like the Cream of Crap recipes that they're always doing for holidays?

4 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I eat this way too. Butter is not bad for you.

I'm assuming you mean "in moderation."  But remember that they bought like 20 lbs of butter for Thanksgiving dinner.  I love butter too (especially cinnamon toast :) but what I saw them put in that grocery cart turned my stomach.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived