IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Frito pies but not the way they make them. I like lettuce, onions, cheese on mine not just meat, beans, and fritos. The cheesecake that Jill made for Cathy is pretty good too. The Voeller dressing is pretty good too.

I haven't tried any of the recipes, but the Indonesian fried rice one looks good.

I think in one of the specials they made something similar to the desert storm cake I like

In their first book they had a pretty killer chocolate sheet cake recipe of Mary's. I have pretty high cake standards and it was really damned good.

In their first book they had a pretty killer chocolate sheet cake recipe of Mary's. I have pretty high cake standards and it was really damned good.

That is a killer cake. My grandma made one just like it but she used butter not the oleo that their's calls for. 8-)

Sorry for derailing the topic but what is "oleo"? (Irish person here, never heard of it!)

:think:

Sorry for derailing the topic but what is "oleo"? (Irish person here, never heard of it!)

:think:

It's an older term for margarine. A lot of people here don't know what oleo is either.

Tater tot casserole (hot dish as my dad's side of the family calls it) and Frito pie. I am a sucker for both of those. (The family's going to Cracker Barrel for breakfast this morning in honor of Mr JFH's birthday and I'm going to order a side of hashbrown casserole. Close enough :lol: )

I love chicken spaghetti, but not their version...bleh. This one is so much better: thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/02/creamy-chicken-spaghetti-casserole/

I love chicken spaghetti, but not their version...bleh. This one is so much better: thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/02/creamy-chicken-spaghetti-casserole/

mmmm... that looks good. No canned soup! Do much better than the Duggar version.

Maybe we should have a thread for Duggar recipe alternatives?

I like MY version of tater tot casserole, but theirs sounds awful. Isn't it just meat, tater tots, and canned soup?

I make it with lots of sauteed onions, mushrooms, and peppers. And sour cream and half and half. No cream of mushroom soup! It is great.

I don't think I know any other Duggar recipes besides tuna barbeque sandwiches. No interest in trying one of those any time soon.

I do have a Duggar level obsession with Cracker Barrel. It might because I only get it once every two years or so.

I love to make their ice cream sandwich cake when I'm having a lot of people over and need a simple dessert. Or for BBQ's

I was reading some of the Duggars recipes late last night. The Buttermilk cake recipe looks good (I'd use butter).

Last night I had a dream I was dx'd with diabetes. I wonder if there's a connection to my late night reading material? LOL.

I haven't really tried any Duggar recipes but I have had tator tot casserole before and it wasn't that bad. My mother had a recipe for heart clogging hot dog casserole that I should get from her and pass it on down to the Duggar's.

I have made tater tot casserole in the past, but it was very different from theirs. Yes, it did use a canned soup base, but it is so easy to make your own cream sauce base that you can just do that instead. Mine also had some fresh shredded sharp cheddar cheese, green onions, garlic, finely chopped broccoli ( have used frozen spinach as well, tasty if your like your veggies), and sometimes onions and mushrooms. It is one of those casseroles that you can be flexible with and pretty much add to it whatever you want or have on hand.

I have made it with cauliflower too and that was great with younger kids because the cauliflower looked similar to the tater tots, so the kids didn't really notice it much.

basically, I got my kids to eat veggies by sneaking them into things they already liked. I used to shred carrots and add that to spaghetti sauce. I finely chopped broccoli and would mix that into meatloaf. And my kids would eat nearly any veggie if it was stir-fried. So my woks got a lot of use when they were little.

I think a lot of families will have recipes like tater tot casserole, that aren't really all that healthy but they are fast, and comforting. I see nothing wrong with the tater tot casserole on it's own, for an occasional dinner. But it would be good to see a side salad, or some green veggies on the side. For every fat-laden, convenience food I still serve at least one thing green or fresh, even if it is just a green salad, or cut up fruit.

My guilty casserole harkens back from my childhood. Kraft mac and Cheese made as directed, add in cream of mushroom soup, and ground beef. Season with onion powder/garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour in dish and bake. Add either buttered bread crumbs, or Durkee French Fried Onions to the top in the last 10 min or so. Yum. There is very little redeeming about this casserole from a nutrition point of view, yet it is a crowd pleaser with the my family. I make it a few times a year, and everyone is happy.

My biggest issue with the Duggar diet is that they have several adults in that family who have plenty of time to actually cook homemade food. I used my simple casseroles and convenience foods on those days when I was running around. I always worked, had to get kids to dance class, soccer, baseball, piano lessons, etc. So some days, sticking a quick and easy thing in the crock pot, or oven was still better than fast food. But There is no reason why the Duggar family can't be eating homemade, less processed food.

I mean, isn't one of the advantages of being that SAHM is that you have the time to put towards cooking, gardening, sewing, etc? I am not saying that with any sarcasm. As a mom who worked part time for a few years, and then full time for the rest, I know that in my part time days, I truly saw no reason why I couldn't get the housework done, have menus planned and executed, kept my garden and flower beds in good shape. On the days when I was home all day, I saw those things as my "work" for the day. Staying home didn't mean I had a day off, it just meant I had different kind of work to do. It wasn't a gender role kind of thing, in that I did "women's work" and my hubby went off and earned the money. It was just that whoever was home, was the one expected to do the work.

I too love tater tot casserole and grew up with "cream of" based casseroles - so I love them! If you season up the ground turkey with spices, herbs and Worcestershire sauce and layer sautéed onions and celery on top of the ground turkey, it can be quite tasty.

In the past, I have mixed up the ground protein: chicken, pork, and most recently half turkey, half bulk sausage (not the healthiest of meals, I must admit.) You can also sub oven roasted potato wedges for the tater tots - not as crispy, but it is a great way to use up extra new potatoes.

I too love tater tot casserole and grew up with "cream of" based casseroles - so I love them! If you season up the ground turkey with spices, herbs and Worcestershire sauce and layer sautéed onions and celery on top of the ground turkey, it can be quite tasty.

In the past, I have mixed up the ground protein: chicken, pork, and most recently half turkey, half bulk sausage (not the healthiest of meals, I must admit.) You can also sub oven roasted potato wedges for the tater tots - not as crispy, but it is a great way to use up extra new potatoes.

Tater tot casserole sounds so weirdly appealing. My daughter is very anti-casserole, so we can't attempt any TTC trial without any backlash. and I'm a vegetarian, so.... Intriguing recipe. Maybe one day we'll try some as we make our way to the east...

There's nothing wrong with things like tater tot casserole from time to time. But the Duggars seem to make it a weekly meal and never add healthy things to it. Like the frito pie, no added veggies to it. Where's the lettuce, tomatoes, onions, ect?

I love Tater-Tot Casserole. There was also a similar version we'd make with the Thanksgiving leftovers - stuffing as the crust, chicken/gravy/veggies for the filling, and potatoes on top. Kinda like a leftover pot pie.

Chances are, we had some kind of "leftover casserole" at least once a week. Always salad on the side on those nights. Mom would usually bust out the ice cream to sweeten the deal if there were too many leftovers crammed in it.

I have a guilty pleasure trove of casserole and crock pot recipes - I love to eat them and I never get to use them. It's silly to cook like that when you're one person (and usually easier to grab a bag of salad and sandwich stuff anyway)

OT- I was watching a recent (repeat) Triple D and they showed a waffle made with stuffing as the base and then turkey, mashed pots., cranberry and gravy placed on top.

That sounds like a brilliant idea. I hate leftovers... I'm 100% for transforming them in to something else - even if that just means sticking 'em in a pot with cream of chicken soup and cheese on top.

I wonder if they made the ice cream cake up themselves. You would think the Duggars invented some of these others recipes though they have been around for years.

But I agree about the lack of vegetables unless they count pickles and surprised they dont make more things homemade. However, "Love that Multiplies" featured more 'healthy' recipes.

Archived