IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

I thought they lived near a landfill or something? I suppose with their plan to have the kids build their own adjacent houses one day, they needed as much land as cheaply as possible?

It's just ridiculous though that they don't grow anything. When I lived in the South, almost everyone I knew was big into gardening. Surely something must be okay to grow, even on bad land? Some herbs in pots?

I don't think they really use herbs. Those add actual flavor, something the Duggars are apparently opposed to.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they really use herbs. Those add actual flavor, something the Duggars are apparently opposed to.

Yeah, you're probably right. Or there could be some religious objection? Edit: but seriously, is there any religious reason they eat how they do or is it just economic?

Flavor = spices = heat = flames of Hell = Satan? ;)

Maybe herbs are considered 'magic' but Jana was into essential oils. I don't know why they wouldn't use herbs.

Anyhow,a garden would likely suffer with all the time they are away unless they hired someone to lo after it. Lord knows Boob wouldnt pay anyone to.

They do have big jars of dry herbs in their kitchen, the type you get in bulk from Costco. I very much doubt they use fresh herbs though, nobody in that household seems particularly into cooking.

Maybe herbs are considered 'magic' but Jana was into essential oils. I don't know why they wouldn't use herbs.

Anyhow,a garden would likely suffer with all the time they are away unless they hired someone to lo after it. Lord knows Boob wouldnt pay anyone to.

That is their official reasoning - I think it was in the Cheaper by the Duggars episode with the neighbor planting a garden on their land. JB and Michelle said they don't have a vegetable garden because they are away from home too much.

There was an episode where one of the boys built a greenhouse, and then Michelle staged a "competition" to see which would grow larger/healthier plants - the greenhouse or indoor pots. I don't think we ever saw resolution to that experiment, so I assume all of the plants died.

It does make me a little sad that they don't garden, especially as some of the kids have expressed an interest in it. My grandfather helped me set up a vegetable garden every summer, starting around age 8. I usually managed to grow enough tomatoes and cucumbers for the summer, and once even managed a cantaloupe. Even if I didn't get lots of vegetables, it' was a lot of fun, and gave me something to do outdoors that didn't involved sports.

Personally I'm enjoying their recipe for disaster.

(no I'm really not, but it was a funny thing to say)

My kiddos and I grow a garden. It is kind of wild and I don't maintain it. I plant lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, zinnias, spinach, and strawberries.

We pick enough for dinner when we have a crop. It is nice for the kids to learn about growing foods, we get some really great organic veggies, and it is nice exercise for me.

I don't weed, I don't water, I don't use pesticides, I don't plant in rows, and I rotate crops each year. At the end of the season I till everything under for fertilizer.

Super, super easy.

Hard to believe a large family that doesn't garden, can, or freeze. Especially with a cheap-ass head. Oh, wait, maybe they don't really mean that, lol!?

I kinda find the tatertot thang disturbing, but then I find tatertots disturbing. . . .

Here's the Utah version. . . . (Had its very own official Olympic pin)

Funeral Potatoes

Ingredients:

1 32 oz. package frozen, shredded hash browns, thawed

10 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. ground pepper

1/4 c. finely chopped onion

16 oz. sour cream

2 cans condensed cream of potato soup

1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the hash browns, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, onion, sour cream, and condensed soup. Spread in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

http://cookbookconfessions.blogspot.com/2010/08/funeral-potatoes.html

My own family's version usually uses Cream of Celery. But I've seen this basic recipe with cheese whiz as an ingredient.

post-13692-14452000431473_thumb.gif

My kiddos and I grow a garden. It is kind of wild and I don't maintain it. I plant lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, zinnias, spinach, and strawberries.

We pick enough for dinner when we have a crop. It is nice for the kids to learn about growing foods, we get some really great organic veggies, and it is nice exercise for me.

I don't weed, I don't water, I don't use pesticides, I don't plant in rows, and I rotate crops each year. At the end of the season I till everything under for fertilizer.

Super, super easy.

Where do you live?? You must have great soil and enough rain that you never need to water! :o Consider yourself very lucky to be able to have such a "hands-off" garden. I need to definitely water if we don't get rain and if it rains too much things get over-run with weeds.

Personally I'm enjoying their recipe for disaster.

(no I'm really not, but it was a funny thing to say)

I'm enjoying it, but then again, I'm a bad person. :embarrassed:

I've done the tuna with BBQ sauce thing and it always baffles me why people think that particularly sounds so disgusting. It's probably not something I'd want to eat every day, but it's not really any different than putting BBQ sauce on any other meat (I like weird combinations of food, though, so maybe this is just another one).

I attended college in Minnesota for one semester and the cafeteria would sometimes have tater tot hotdish. It was one of my favorites. I tried to make it myself (using the Duggar recipe) after I left that school, but mine was never very good, even when I added extra ingredients.

I've done the tuna with BBQ sauce thing and it always baffles me why people think that particularly sounds so disgusting. It's probably not something I'd want to eat every day, but it's not really any different than putting BBQ sauce on any other meat (I like weird combinations of food, though, so maybe this is just another one).

I attended college in Minnesota for one semester and the cafeteria would sometimes have tater tot hotdish. It was one of my favorites. I tried to make it myself (using the Duggar recipe) after I left that school, but mine was never very good, even when I added extra ingredients.

The only way I like my tuna is in a sandwich with onion and mayo. Just the idea of BBQ sauce tuna makes me want to gag. :ew:

The only way I like my tuna is in a sandwich with onion and mayo. Just the idea of BBQ sauce tuna makes me want to gag. :ew:

In their book, Jim Bob said the BBQ sauce covered up any fishy taste. Is that true?

In their book, Jim Bob said the BBQ sauce covered up any fishy taste. Is that true?

Depends on how much barbecue sauce you'll use. :mrgreen:

Depends on how much barbecue sauce you'll use. :mrgreen:

Well, their recipe calls for absolutely drowning it, so...still, ew. I can't imagine why someone would want to eat that. :?

There is a BBQ restaurant on the Outer Banks of NC that serves BBQ tuna. They start with fresh tuna, smoke it, then add homemade sauce, so it doesn't really compare to JB's concoction.

Yeah, to me it tasted kind of like cold BBQ chicken, I guess. I don't remember how much sauce I used. I don't think I skimped but I don't think it was drowning in sauce, either. I'm not usually a tuna fan in general. It's something I'll eat if I'm low on groceries and need something quick and BBQ sauce seems like a good way to vary it up instead of the usual tuna with mayo.

OT but food related... I was in a rural remote town in Australia called Broken Hill (Priscilla Queen of the Desert fans will recognize name) Anyway, I had to attend a potluck, and we were all instructed to bring a salad. An Aussie guy said he was going going to bring an "American Salad" which got my interest (as an American).

So I'm thinking what's that?? Is there a salad that we just call salad, but it's in no other country? I forgot where he learned it, and he honestly thought that's what the name was. Frankly, I think he thought I was a moron for not instantly recognizing the words AMERICAN SALAD.

Turns out it was an ambrosia like salad... mixed fruit, marshmallows, and mayo. At the party people kept asking me about it..

But the locals... they had a salad too... CHEESE SLAW which consisted of shredded carrots and cheese mixed with mayo. I don't think it would be out of place at a Duggar get together.

And a recipe that I'd like to try is the ice cream snowy thing G'Ma Duggar makes.

Well Smug does need a job...

Well Smug does need a job...

Who takes care of the pets? Or do they just rely on them to wander around to neighbors in search of food.

Poor Joshie...

OT but food related... I was in a rural remote town in Australia called Broken Hill (Priscilla Queen of the Desert fans will recognize name) Anyway, I had to attend a potluck, and we were all instructed to bring a salad. An Aussie guy said he was going going to bring an "American Salad" which got my interest (as an American).

So I'm thinking what's that?? Is there a salad that we just call salad, but it's in no other country? I forgot where he learned it, and he honestly thought that's what the name was. Frankly, I think he thought I was a moron for not instantly recognizing the words AMERICAN SALAD.

Turns out it was an ambrosia like salad... mixed fruit, marshmallows, and mayo. At the party people kept asking me about it..

But the locals... they had a salad too... CHEESE SLAW which consisted of shredded carrots and cheese mixed with mayo. I don't think it would be out of place at a Duggar get together.

And a recipe that I'd like to try is the ice cream snowy thing G'Ma Duggar makes.

I grew up in country Australia and I've never seen 'salads' like that... not that we didn't eat stodgy Duggar-worthy food occasionally such as pasta salad which was just spiral pasta, mayonnaise and tomato sauce (ketchup).

I haven't tried any of the food recipes but I have used the laundry detergent recipe. It works pretty good on regular clothes that don't get grubby dirty. I've been using it for over 5 years, still on the original boxes of Borax and Washing Soda. I still use regular detergent for my guys work clothes, socks/undies and dish towels/cloths.

The Duggars may not have turned me into a fundie, but that laundry detergent has most likely allowed me to afford a few extra bottles of rum over the years!

Question though- would tater tot casserole work better if the tater tots were cooked per instructions first?

I grew up in country Australia and I've never seen 'salads' like that... not that we didn't eat stodgy Duggar-worthy food occasionally such as pasta salad which was just spiral pasta, mayonnaise and tomato sauce (ketchup).

Hey I specified Broken Hill vs just rural Australia. I've lived or been in many rural Aussie locations, but the rural REMOTE... yikes. That is a completely different animal. I do like Broken Hill, but I was assigned there because of the high concentration of people with cognitive issues (due to lead poisoning) so not sure if that explains anything...but just to back up my claim of Broken Hill's love of cheese slaw...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_slaw

www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2015/05/14/4235795.htm

Question though- would tater tot casserole work better if the tater tots were cooked per instructions first?

No, since the tater tots are on the top of the casserole, they are usually baked perfectly from frozen. They would be way overdone if you prepared them per the directions first.

Hey I specified Broken Hill vs just rural Australia. I've lived or been in many rural Aussie locations, but the rural REMOTE... yikes. That is a completely different animal. I do like Broken Hill, but I was assigned there because of the high concentration of people with cognitive issues (due to lead poisoning) so not sure if that explains anything...but just to back up my claim of Broken Hill's love of cheese slaw...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_slaw

http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2015 ... 235795.htm

I wasn't saying you were wrong or lying just that I had never heard of it. I was suggesting that it may just be regional. :shrug:

Broken Hill is more remote than anywhere I have lived but it's also bigger than the closest 'city' (65 km km and 13,000 pop) from where I grew up. I remember how happy we were when they got a McDonalds and we once travelled 150km because my mum was craving Hungry Jacks (Burger King is called Hungry Jacks in South Australia).

I've lived in some pretty dodgy country towns. The one where we lived for the majority of my childhood had a population of 1000 and 70% of them were dole bludgers who moved there because the housing was cheap and it was far enough from the local centrelink office that they didn't need to look for work.

Archived