IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

I have many a recipe that use Cream of Mushroom soup. I usually stock the kitchen with the "Healthy Request" one because these are recipes that DH can easily make on his nights to cook. We have one called "Heavenly Casserole" from his late mother that really IS heavenly. I totally love it -- basically a brown rice casserole with onions, mushrooms, vegemeat nad some COM soup -- it's not heavy because the ratio of rice and veg is high (I usually add broccoli and peas, too....) but those creamy, sticky cream of XXXX casseroles are just sorta ick.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Pioneer Woman has a chicken spagetti recipe that is not that different than Anna's.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007 ... n_spaghet/

I don't know, it seems quite a bit different to me. Real seasonings, including actual green pepper & onion, real chicken broth, real cheese vs no real vegetables & fake cheese. The only similarity is they both have canned soup, chicken & spaghetti.

I've been looking at the blogs someone posted earlier because even though we eat some crap stuff, I don't think I could bring myself to make their recipes. And we actually do eat tater tots, as a side dish, at least a few times a month.

Forgot a word

I made the "iced coffee" and it wasn't good enough for the hassle! I had to strain it 3 times, and it still had some grounds in it! Now I just make a pot of coffee and chill it.

Sigh. I'll give up a common ice coffee recipe from my tribe. Mix up to a tablespoon of Nescafe or other instant coffee in 8 ounces of water. Mix in your taste of sugar and/or milk. Cover and shake till blended. Serve over ice. This is called "frappe" and I am ashamed to say can be served at up to 4 USD a pop in the restuarants of our ethnic neighborhoods. :oops:

Ok, I haven't admitted it until now, but I have one recipe that uses cream of crap soup that I make. It's my grandma's "cheesy potatoes" recipe, and though I don't particularly care for it, my husband lurrrrves it, so it gets made once a year or so (holidays only). It contains shredded frozen potatoes, cream of chicken soup, milk, spices, cheddar cheese, and crushed corn flakes. Oops...

That's a favorite at the in-laws holidays. Yum.

We do TTC with 1 lb ground beef, browned and seasoned, cooked with a chopped onion. Skim off fat, mix onion/beef with one can cream of mushroom, 1 lb tater tots. I've thought it might be good with corn in it as well,but haven't tried it yet. Bake at 350 for an hour.

Another cream of -- that we make is "No Peeky Casserole" - 1 lb stew beef, 1 can COM, 1 cup red cooking wine, 1 packet Lipton onion soup. Bake 3 hours (no peeking!) at 350. Served over rice.

I make two "cream of" recipes. One I used to make a lot, but ot since my husband was sick. The other gets made once every 6 months or so.

First is "shrimp on rice" original called for miunte rice, but I usually used regular. Basically cook rice. Set aside. Heat up cream of mushroom & add shrimp. Pour over rice. Melt some butter/margarine. Add bread crumb. Mix, grate a bit of cheese, put it all on top. Bake 30 min at 350....There's probably something I'm forgetting, it's been months.

Other is a macaroni/tuna casserole. Cook macaroni. Set aside. Use cream of broccoli & milk. Add several broken up cheese slices, frozen peas & drained tuna. Heat until cheese is melted. Mix with macaroni. Bake 20 min at 350, make triangles of a couple more slices of processed cheese and put on top, cook until melted.

Sigh. I'll give up a common ice coffee recipe from my tribe. Mix up to a tablespoon of Nescafe or other instant coffee in 8 ounces of water. Mix in your taste of sugar and/or milk. Cover and shake till blended. Serve over ice. This is called "frappe" and I am ashamed to say can be served at up to 4 USD a pop in the restuarants of our ethnic neighborhoods. :oops:

I love frappes! My husband's Greek friend taught him this recipe and we've been making it for years :). I like mine with extra foam so I use a whisk when making frappes for myself.

I really want to make TTC but cannot get the tater tots. I kind of think most of these recipes are full'o'crap. But you know Crap food often tastes good :lol:

I mean my absolute favourite crap food is a bread roll with butter filled with crushed pickled onion flavoured crisps. How healthy is that? 8-)

Really? I'm Mexican, and I don't think we ever use any type of chicken stock/soup for making enchiladas. :?:

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. I'm not mexican, but I can't imagine using cream soup to make...well, anything from the mexican food family. What's wrong with some seasoned shredded chicken :?

I love frappes! My husband's Greek friend taught him this recipe and we've been making it for years :). I like mine with extra foam so I use a whisk when making frappes for myself.

I use a blender, so it's more like a frappacinio.

I was going to say, "Not me, because our food comes from our garden, not from cans, but then I noticed they've added a few recipes for vegetables. Sort of. Like this one for green beans. Seriously, WTF? This is what it takes to get a Duggar to eat 7 effing beans?

Sweet Green Bean Bundles

3 (14.5 ounce) cans whole green beans, drained

1 pound turkey bacon, cut in half

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon garlic salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Wrap 7 green beans with bacon and place in prepared dish. Repeat, using all the green beans and bacon.

Combine butter with brown sugar. Pour over green bean bundles and sprinkle with garlic salt.

Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.

Hooray for a can of tomatoes, an onion, a clove of garlic and a slosh of good oil.

I like to add a little wine and some black pepper, but yes, this is a damn godsend.

So what makes the Duggar's different? I'll tell you. Staff.

Every time someone tells DimBulb that he has too many kids he returns the thought-stopping cliche "which ones do you want me to get rid of?" Or "Which ones do you want me to kill off?" And while you try to re-boot because of course you didn't mean you want him to kill his kids he moves on like he won the argument.

No, they have exactly the number of children they want to have, what they don't have are enough adults in that house.

QFT. The whole concept of making extra and freezing it seems to not have ever occurred, and they have enough people in that house to make cooking relatively easy.

I really think the "Dump, mix, bake" method of cooking is now seen as real home cooking. Growing up, I think that was most of our sauces and soups were from a can. It also seems like using all the processed canned crap in all of the Duggar recipes is just a way to stretch what little recognizable food there is in a meal. I think every casserole I ate at church or family functions growing up was based in some sort of cream of hork soup, and that's how I learned to cook.

I don't think this is true of everyone. Some of the stuff my parents made (jarred spaghetti sauce with added pepperoni, that infamous chicken and rice casserole with cream of mushroom soup) falls into that category, but I also learned a lot of real cooking, including the most important thing about cooking (IMO) - how to improvise and improve a starting recipe to make something better. I remember my dad had one of those cookbook binder deals where they sent the cards every month - that played into a lot.

Have they ever actually shown a cookbook on the Duggars?

Awhile back (probably when they were 17 kids and counting) I watched them take a trip to the grocery store. I was aghast the entire time. My perfect mom badged was proudly shined and properly displayed on my t-shirt. Of all the things they've mastered like building a house debt free, making a shit ton of babies, finding deals on giant mommy movers it didn't ever occur to them to eat some real, whole foods? What the fuckity fuck.

If you are craving potatoes, potatoes, or potatoes, you should stop by a funeral at a Mormon church. They will have sixty six versions of "Funeral Potatoes" - each family makes the same thing, but it's all a little different. Overcooked, check. Undercooked, check. Too much cream of cack soup, check. The most amazing thing is that it all gets eaten. It's so fucking weird.

I really want to make TTC but cannot get the tater tots. I kind of think most of these recipes are full'o'crap. But you know Crap food often tastes good :lol:

Can you get hash browns? Basically the same thing in taste and texture, just in patty form.

Can you get hash browns? Basically the same thing in taste and texture, just in patty form.

Yes yes...I have seen them in the freezer section, wee triangle things. Oh no, I might to actually have to do this :shock:

I have many a recipe that use Cream of Mushroom soup. I usually stock the kitchen with the "Healthy Request" one because these are recipes that DH can easily make on his nights to cook. We have one called "Heavenly Casserole" from his late mother that really IS heavenly. I totally love it -- basically a brown rice casserole with onions, mushrooms, vegemeat nad some COM soup -- it's not heavy because the ratio of rice and veg is high (I usually add broccoli and peas, too....) but those creamy, sticky cream of XXXX casseroles are just sorta ick.

Ooh, would you share your recipe (including the added broccoli and peas)? Sounds like good wintertime comfort food!

I've made the butterscotch brownies on their site, and they're very tasty. They don't actually contain any butterscotch, so as long as you're not deluded into thinking you're eating something posh or healthy, it's a great, quick dessert recipe. I don't know how many batches they would have to make, but I double the recipe to feed 2 adults and 5 kids. But, we don't like stingy brownie servings around here.

Grew up with this staple quick prep dinner - boneless skinless chicken breasts in a roasting pot. Add COCh soup diluted with about half of the water or so(We like a lot of gravy, so we used 2-3 cans). Add a bag or two of carrots. Season. Cook covered for an hour at 350. In the meantime, prepare mashed potatoes. In the end you have chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and carrots. I used to like this recipe, it's definitely better than canned gravy since it has the chicken and carrot juices in it.

LOL @ the Sandra Lee comparisons! She'd be perfect for a "cooking show host comes in and teaches the family how to cook" crossover episode! Except, well, her recipes are pretty much on the Duggars' level. Canned/boxed/pre-packaged everything. And don't forget how she ices pre-made, store-bought cake with Cool Whip!

Like Sandra Lee (can you tell she's my least favorite Food Network personality? LOL), some of the Duggars' recipes sound decent, until you read the full ingredients. Like the apple dumplings sound good, until you look at the list of ingredients:

2-3 cans crescent rolls (or biscuits)

3-4 apples (peeled & cut into chunks)

1 1/2 sticks butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 t. cinnamon

1 can (12 oz.) Mt. Dew

MOUNTAIN DEW?! You're supposed to pour it over the dumplings. What kind of flavor is that supposed to add?

Also, my mom makes tuna casserole with cream of mushroom soup and it is quite good. She just doesn't make it very often because my brother isn't a fan of it heh.

Archived