IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

I do have a slimming world recipe for muffins (the cake type, not English muffins) that uses diet soda :oops: But it does taste good!

Box of Betty Crocker cake mix (I use carrot cake), 2 egg whites, 1 can diet cream soda or other diet drink of your choice. Spoon into 30 muffin cases, bake according to box instructions. 3 syns each. I frost them with a mix of quark, sweetener (I use stevia) and lemon juice, and decorate with orange zest.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the fake pizza on bread is that bad. It's common to have in Sweden actually. And most people know what you mean when you say "varma mackor", which basically translates into "hot sandwiches", which is what we call them.

It is bread, ketchup, oregano and cheese, and then sometimes ham.

It was even included in a child's cookbook I had when I was around 10.

Oh and if I want to drink something sweet that isn't tap water I tend to make my own lazy version of ice tea. Simply a lemon tea bag thrown into water with ice and then mixed with stevia. I don't feel too guilty drinking that in the warm summer.

There's nothing wrong with convenience-based food once in a while, especially if it's part of one's family culture and is paraded on special occasions, but if that's all that's eaten, then it's a problem. We've all seen the frozen pizzas and cream-of soups bought en masse at the TTH - that's when people should feel guilty!

I've only started cooking recently and already I'm driving my mother insane with all my "healthy stuff". I just don't understand why anyone would choose to eat super processed ickiness. I will admit to having one recipe that uses a cream of soup but I barely ever make it. It's more of a rainy day comfort food than anything else. Usually if I want to make whatever I'm cooking a bit creamier, I'll throw a bit of peanut butter in.

• 1 year later...

So I've been looking at the Duggar webpage through the wayback machine (jimbob.info) and in the summer of 2005, they put up a favorite recipe list. (http://web.archive.org/web/200507060351 ... cipes.html) Obviously, my first impression is OMFG salt and carbs and preservatives, and holy velveeta, Batman.

But I'm wondering what people think of a lot of the little comments they put around the recipes, like 'so-and-sos favorite' or some of the 'optional' tags they put in. For example:

"CHICKEN & NOODLES

8 cans cream of chicken soup

10 T. Mex. chicken boullion

17 c. water

1 onion chopped (or 1 T. onion powder)

4-5 bags egg noodles

chunks cooked chicken (optional)

pepper to taste

Boil Soup, Boullion, Water, & Onion. Boil 5 min.

Add Noodles & chicken. Pepper either in pot or at table. Yummy!"

My first impression was "8 CANS CREAM OF CHICKEN!??!?" but then when I saw that they actually made chunks of chicken optional for CHICKEN AND NOODLES, I felt compelled to both share that information and ask what other people think of the early Duggar cafeteria schedule. Because I'm sure the kids were having these specific meals on rotation every week/month until they got TLC money and attention from the public that would shed light on their terrible eating habits. What do you all think?

Also:

"LAYERED SALAD

1st- 1/2 head lettuce

6 boiled eggs, chopped

1/ 2 lb. turkey bacon, crumbled

2nd- 1/2 head lettuce

1 can peas, drained

1 small onion , chopped

3rd- 2 cups REAL* Mayonnaise

1 small container sour cream

Shred cheddar cheese over top. Chill.

*Be sure and use REAL mayonnaise, it makes a big difference! (One of Mommy’s favorites!)"

2 cups of mayonnaise AND a container of sour cream?! Keep in mind, it's one head of lettuce with this, an onion and a can of peas. No other vegetables included.

Also:

"LAYERED SALAD

1st- 1/2 head lettuce

6 boiled eggs, chopped

2nd- 1/2 head lettuce

1 can peas, drained

1 small onion , chopped

*Be sure and use REAL mayonnaise, it makes a big difference! (One of Mommy’s favorites!)"

2 cups of mayonnaise AND a container of sour cream?! Keep in mind, it's one head of lettuce with this, an onion and a can of peas. No other vegetables included.

This is a regional favorite from say the 70's/80's. I remember having it as a kid. The exception was instead of just mayo and sour cream mom used a homemade ranch dressing thickened up with the sour cream. It also eased into the rest of it. It's not healthy but it was something that was on the "extended" family dinner menu.

This is a regional favorite from say the 70's/80's. I remember having it as a kid. The exception was instead of just mayo and sour cream mom used a homemade ranch dressing thickened up with the sour cream. It also eased into the rest of it. It's not healthy but it was something that was on the "extended" family dinner menu.

This just seems crazy to me! I mean, I'm sure it is a regional thing, but damn. I grew up eating tons of casseroles filled with cream-of-whatever, and I personally love both mayonnaise and sour cream (in moderation) but my father hates mayonnaise and both my parents hate sour cream. With a passion. So I literally can't imagine a meal that includes such a large quantity of both those things.

I also have a hard time considering something a salad if it only contains a fresh head of lettuce and one onion, along with one canned vegetable. My parents were huge on fresh veggies growing up, so every salad I've ever had includes bell peppers, carrots, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives etc. When I was a kid my packed lunches were just cut up peppers, carrots and cucumbers (my fave) and a string cheese or yogurt.

Honestly, I feel like the Duggar kids must be super constipated :?

This just seems crazy to me! I mean, I'm sure it is a regional thing, but damn. I grew up eating tons of casseroles filled with cream-of-whatever, and I personally love both mayonnaise and sour cream (in moderation) but my father hates mayonnaise and both my parents hate sour cream. With a passion. So I literally can't imagine a meal that includes such a large quantity of both those things.

I also have a hard time considering something a salad if it only contains a fresh head of lettuce and one onion, along with one canned vegetable. My parents were huge on fresh veggies growing up, so every salad I've ever had includes bell peppers, carrots, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives etc. When I was a kid my packed lunches were just cut up peppers, carrots and cucumbers (my fave) and a string cheese or yogurt.

Honestly, I feel like the Duggar kids must be super constipated :?

What you described was a tossed salad. I'm also from an area that jello can be made into a salad. I'm sorta shocked that one of those weren't listed on the Duggar's recipes. They are very popular at pot-lucks, just with the older crowd now, us "youngins'" have shied away from that kind of thing.

We didn't have many casseroles growing up. The only thing I can remember having cream of soup in was green bean casserole at Thanksgiving and about once every three or four months we'd have hashbrown casserole. We normally ate very healthy foods do to restricted diets but when it was "cheat" day, i.e. holiday, the crap food came out.

I think Hashbrown Casserole sounds really tasty, it's one of the few recipes on their site that I thought I might tuck away for the future, lmao. But I guess my issue is more that from the context of their shared recipes, it seems like the vast majority of their meals are structured in the same way. Meat, potatoes, cheese, (sometimes) beans, and canned veggies/milk/mushroom/meat taste (full of crazy salt). The only one with significant veggies was the salad, which was a head of lettuce along with so much dairy and a can of salt-filled peas. At the same time, I realize that trying to satisfy the bellies of all those kids on a limited budget would naturally include a lot of cheap meat/dairy/salty veg because the human body craves those things and during early human history it was very rare to find them in high quantity like we have today. So if the goal is to keep the tummies from rumbling rather than to give them a balanced diet, this would be the way to go. At the same time, I can't really picture growing up on that diet. It seems so solid and starchy and full of protein and salt and fat. It's no wonder Josh has gained weight the way he has. Maybe in 10 years when he has 5-7 more children he'll lose some due to portion sizes :shrug:

Meals like you describe are regional. They are meant to fill you up and keep you energized while working a manual labor job. I was even raised that you have meat, starch, and veggie (salad, fresh, or frozen) on a plate. There was always bread and butter as well. Granted ours was a lower fat and sodium content but still the basic thought. This made sure you stayed full while working on the farm or the railroad until it was time for the next meal.

While a lot of negative can be said for that kind of diet, there's a part of me that thinks some it isn't so bad. I never had processed foods growing up. Everything was from scratch, my grandma lived with us and wouldn't have it any other way. She lived to be 98. I truly believe it's the processed crap that is killing us today.

Also:

"LAYERED SALAD

1st- 1/2 head lettuce

6 boiled eggs, chopped

2nd- 1/2 head lettuce

1 can peas, drained

1 small onion , chopped

Just thinking about this makes me want to throw up a little. :ew:

What strikes me most, is the proportions in these recipes. It would be easy and fairly cheap to reduce the sauces by about fifty percent, and instead add some vegetables or whole grains. Even frozen or canned veggies would be better than no veggies. These children have likely had more cream soup than any human should consume in a lifetime.

And now I really want some of that broccoli and rice casserole, which I'm sure I've had at church potlucks in my youth. Yum, yum indeed.

A lot of these recipes remind me of my childhood. I was an only child, but both my parents came from large-ish families (my mom even grew up really similar to the poor J'slaves but for largely different reasons than those poor girls).

I grew up eating a lot of the same stuff the Duggars have made over the years. It's lots of cheap carbs. I doubt any of the Duggar girls would know how to make a meal from scratch.

My sister always says how she loves to bake- she makes muffins from bulk mixes, krispy treats from all kinds of flavored cereals, break and bake cookies and the occasional loaf of banana bread (from the box except for the mashed banana).

One year for around Christmas- I took her to a baking class at the Central Market cooking school near my house. She decided that was just too much work and she would have to buy too much stuff. Store bought pies it is.

But for some reason she is still known as the baker in the family.....

So nine years ago, Michelle had something like 15 children, and she made a "salad" with ONE head of lettuce in it, to feed (or at least partially feed) them? You couldn't get a serving for everyone that would be more than 2 tablespoons!

OTOH, I do remember the seventies/eighties and the "layered salad" craze... we had one we always had at parties, a seven layer special. But at least each layer was a vegetable! It might be frozen peas, but they weren't canned... it was yummy, but it was never meant to feed people, just to snack them!

That's a lot of cream of chicken. And velveeta. :ew:

seriously! do they own stock in it, or what? :P

So nine years ago, Michelle had something like 15 children, and she made a "salad" with ONE head of lettuce in it, to feed (or at least partially feed) them? You couldn't get a serving for everyone that would be more than 2 tablespoons!

OTOH, I do remember the seventies/eighties and the "layered salad" craze... we had one we always had at parties, a seven layer special. But at least each layer was a vegetable! It might be frozen peas, but they weren't canned... it was yummy, but it was never meant to feed people, just to snack them!

Yeah, I remember that salad too. There were actual vegetables in it! I still sometimes see it popping up at potlucks along with "hot dishes". (I live in the Midwest, but I had NEVER heard of a hot dish until I moved here!)

I'm lucky to have grown up in a household where creamed soup was referred to as "Cream of Crap". My dad used to be in the restaurant business. :) Those kids must run around a LOT because I'm sure they are consuming a ridiculous amount of calories a day!

Interesting that it's Michelle's favorite...doesn't seem very Points Plus friendly. (I'm on weight watchers, too...those extra pounds from the baby just don't want to leave!)

Interesting that it's Michelle's favorite...doesn't seem very Points Plus friendly. (I'm on weight watchers, too...those extra pounds from the baby just don't want to leave!)

these things seem to written before she went to those meetings. Is she even still on that I know Jim Bob was trying to loose weight but I feel like the time they went with Jana to that Meeting Michelle had just found out she was pregnant with Jublieand so didn't do it.

these things seem to written before she went to those meetings. Is she even still on that I know Jim Bob was trying to loose weight but I feel like the time they went with Jana to that Meeting Michelle had just found out she was pregnant with Jublieand so didn't do it.

Apparently she's been doing it for years. She's a lifetime member...meaning she has reached her goal weight and can continue to go for free as long as she maintains that weight. She goes more in depth about it in their first book (20 and counting). Something I found really interesting. She says she continues to follow the program when she's pregnant (which you are NOT supposed to do) and just uses the Points allotment allowed to nursing mothers.

Apparently she's been doing it for years. She's a lifetime member...meaning she has reached her goal weight and can continue to go for free as long as she maintains that weight. She goes more in depth about it in their first book (20 and counting). Something I found really interesting. She says she continues to follow the program when she's pregnant (which you are NOT supposed to do) and just uses the Points allotment allowed to nursing mothers.

Interesting I haven't read their books so I didn't know all that.

If you still struggle get your thyroid level checked. One of my good friends after she had a baby couldn't drop the weight. Her thyroid didn't work like it had before the baby.

Archived