IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

I've wanted to make dal bhat ever since Jill and Jana made it for Derick, but I guess that doesn't really count as a Duggar recipe. And homemade pickles or cucumbers with vinegar and salt are never a bad thing. That's about it for me, though.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How old do you think Jana and Jill were when they had to start making dinner? The 12th kid was born when they were 10 & 9. I can understand why they'd be given instructions to open cans and packages and cook it all together in one dish. I wouldn't want to do the prep work to make fresh veggies or dinner from scratch for 13-14 people several nights per week, and I can't imagine having kids who can barely see over the counter do it unsupervised.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked at a homeless shelter for a while and was responsible for all of the meals. The menu typically depended on what we got donated and Aldi decided to donate cases on cases of tater tots. I made a lot of tater tot casserole that month. I used to mix Frank's Red Hot in with the condensed soup- the residents liked it better that way, and so did I.

I have to say, I now understand why they'd make that meal so much over at the Duggar's house. I regularly fed 25 grown women with a pound of hamburger meat in it.

I made tater tot casserole, but I used a better recipe than the Duggars. I used a "copycat" Cracker Barrel recipe, but I added sauteed mushrooms and used croc bites cheese. I had some and then put the rest up for the winter.

How old do you think Jana and Jill were when they had to start making dinner? The 12th kid was born when they were 10 & 9. I can understand why they'd be given instructions to open cans and packages and cook it all together in one dish. I wouldn't want to do the prep work to make fresh veggies or dinner from scratch for 13-14 people several nights per week, and I can't imagine having kids who can barely see over the counter do it unsupervised.

How about roasting a couple of whole body chickens?

Chicken legs and thighs are cheap.

What about spaghetti?

Veggie fajitas?

Tacos add quinoa to stretch the meat?

I guess no matter what, 1 couple cannot adequately care for 19 children. 24 hours in a day and 1 person can only be in one place at one time.

They should have had cooking days- make enough meals for a month and freeze. Mom or dad and a group of interested kids to prepare the meals. The other parent and other kids away from the home during the prep.

I'd make the Voeller dressing Jill posted on her Instagram a while ago: instagram.com/p/p9sDNILs8R/

I LOVE salad.

Tater tot casserole sounds so weirdly appealing. My daughter is very anti-casserole, so we can't attempt any TTC trial without any backlash. and I'm a vegetarian, so.... Intriguing recipe. Maybe one day we'll try some as we make our way to the east...

TVP?

What's the point of ice cream sandwich cake? Why wouldn't you just serve the ice cream sandwich with whipped cream and sprinkles??? How does this deserve to be called a cake?

Exactly this. It's sad but I don't call American recipes actual "recipes". I call them instructions to fix an easy meal. It's really sad because I know there are lots of Americans who cook great stuff and are able to do what I call "real cooking". However, I have never seen so many processed and pre-packaged items in recipes as I have in American ones. Actually, I know no recipes other than American ones where prepackaged stuff, processed items etc., spice mixes are the norm. One would think that there is a trend against that, but take for example the Pioneer Woman, and her cooking still does not deserve to be called that and many commenters still find her stuff too difficult or are in awe at her "skills". :roll: :shifty-kitty: :shifty:

I'm not saying that where I come from people are all wholesome, crunchy home-made granola eaters. Probably far from that, but the general value of real foods (vs. frankenfoods and processed crap) and actual cooking is a different one.

I had a look at her website out of curiosity, and her recipe for "Restaurant Style Salsa" drew my attention, because I, too, do not like chunky salsa. (Link: thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/)

I scroll down to the list of ingredients.

:pink-shock:

What the fuck is Rotel?

It *looks* like it's just tinned tomatoes with chillies but then why not just add more tinned tomatoes and some chopped chilli?

I had a look at her website out of curiosity, and her recipe for "Restaurant Style Salsa" drew my attention, because I, too, do not like chunky salsa. (Link: thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/)

What the fuck is Rotel?

It *looks* like it's just tinned tomatoes with chillies but then why not just add more tinned tomatoes and some chopped chilli?

Because she's the PW and a lazy wannabe "cook". What she does is makin' pretty pics of pretty average food. She sells this whole "oh I'm such a witty , funny, godly and hard-working devoted mom and cook and farmer's wife" image when she can't even make her own stock for ONCE, she doesn't school her *homeschooled* kids herself, she doesn't care about neither her kids' nor her animals' safety, and she's loaded and can afford pretending to always be a bit better at everything than us not-so-versatile other women out there.

If I weren't so damn tired I'd dig up the blog that did a pretty great analysis on how she made a big photo story out of her kid handling a horse, when said kid was actually in danger of getting hurt by said horse, and said horse was completely distressed by PW's awesome kid's lack of skills.

ETA: Probably not tired enough. Here it is.

thepioneerwomansux.com/2011/05/ladd-and-ree-are-idiots/

What the fuck is Rotel?

There is no substitute for Ro*tel because it is green chilies, which are only in season for a couple weeks. Even the habanero kind is mostly green chilies with a little habanero. So you'd have to add a tin of green chilies, so you might as well just use Ro*tel. Ro*tel is amazing and would help most of these Duggar recipes. It would, however, be gross in salsa. :o

Josiah's cheese biscuits are pretty good. The rest of their bread making is far beyond my skill level. I can't even imagine making that much bread. That's advanced housewifery.

I like the Frito Pie.But mine is different.'

I have made Tater Tot casserole,but I had a tastier recipe...their recipe is kind of bland to me.

A few of their recipes sound okay.

There is no substitute for Ro*tel because it is green chilies, which are only in season for a couple weeks. Even the habanero kind is mostly green chilies with a little habanero. So you'd have to add a tin of green chilies, so you might as well just use Ro*tel. Ro*tel is amazing and would help most of these Duggar recipes. It would, however, be gross in salsa. :o

Josiah's cheese biscuits are pretty good. The rest of their bread making is far beyond my skill level. I can't even imagine making that much bread. That's advanced housewifery.

I agree. A can of green chilies and a can of diced tomatoes does not equal a can of Rotel. The canning process "steeps" the flavor of green chilies into the tomatoes and they take on a completely unique flavor. I guess pureeing them into salsa would make them more similar, but I do not care for thin salsa.

Green Chilies are only available in my area for six weeks in late summer/early fall. I will buy several pounds and seed, peel and freeze them, but I still gravitate to cans of Rotel for a quick meal. (A sautéed onion, can of Rotel and two pounds of ground meat is my go to taco meat recipe - I do not mess with the packet seasonings.)

A can of rotel and 3 chicken breasts in the crock pot for 6-8 hours, with 1/3 brick cream cheese added near the end is the bomb diggity. It shreds up into chicken tacos.

A can of rotel and 3 chicken breasts in the crock pot for 6-8 hours, with 1/3 brick cream cheese added near the end is the bomb diggity. It shreds up into chicken tacos.

We call this "Crack Chicken" - it is incredibly addictive.

Can we send these recipes to Jana?

We all have recipes we think the Duggars should have. I once posted a ham and vegetable soup that makes 8L for $15. It fed our family of 6 for 3 meals with left overs. We used to buy a whole leg (for lunches and quick dinners) and at the end we'd chuck the bone in with whatever vegetables we had in the fridge, some dried herbs, and split peas and pearl barley. Simmer for 3 hours on low or an hour boiling for the quick version. A frugal meal that made use of the things we'd normally throw away like the ham bone and celery tops.

In their first book they had a pretty killer chocolate sheet cake recipe of Mary's. I have pretty high cake standards and it was really damned good.

I'm curious about their chocolate sheet cake--was it easy to make? Moist and chocolatey?

We all have recipes we think the Duggars should have. I once posted a ham and vegetable soup that makes 8L for $15. It fed our family of 6 for 3 meals with left overs. We used to buy a whole leg (for lunches and quick dinners) and at the end we'd chuck the bone in with whatever vegetables we had in the fridge, some dried herbs, and split peas and pearl barley. Simmer for 3 hours on low or an hour boiling for the quick version. A frugal meal that made use of the things we'd normally throw away like the ham bone and celery tops.

This is so much healthier than what the Duggars feed their family. This is also how I cook.

This is so much healthier than what the Duggars feed their family. This is also how I cook.

My ma has been doing the same sort of thing for years with my dad getting the soup.

I personally have never done it; but if the Duggars practiced what they preached this is a really good idea.

I'm curious about their chocolate sheet cake--was it easy to make? Moist and chocolatey?

duggarfamilyblog.com/2011/01/duggar-recipe-savory-sheet-cake.html

It looks pretty simple to make. It doesn't look chocolate-y enough to me, but things rarely are :P

duggarfamilyblog.com/2011/01/duggar-recipe-savory-sheet-cake.html

It looks pretty simple to make. It doesn't look chocolate-y enough to me, but things rarely are :P

I looks pretty weak chocolate wise. My family have a no-fail quick chocolate cake where you just dump all the ingredients in and then whisk. Well, it should really be called a one-fail because my brother, who is now a chef, once put plain flour in instead of self-raising. :lol:

Okay, I can see that. IMO in general if you've got capital letters in your ingredients list and they aren't PDOs, it doesn't count as a recipe :lol: I'm pretty unfamiliar with chillies in general (I have less than zero tolerance to spiciness), so I wasn't aware that green chillies were only in season for a short time. In that case, I can see using a brand name that has them tinned with more tomato. Honestly, though, unless they have a particularly distinctive flavour I'd rather use a fresh chilli that was in season.

I looks pretty weak chocolate wise. My family have a no-fail quick chocolate cake where you just dump all the ingredients in and then whisk. Well, it should really be called a one-fail because my brother, who is now a chef, once put plain flour in instead of self-raising. :lol:

A similar cake recipe is out there EVERYWHERE. My mother was making a similar cake at least as far back as the 60s - she got the recipe from a lady we went to church with. So I have trouble with calling that "Grandma Duggar's" cake - it's only Grandma Duggar's recipe that she got as it made the rounds.

My Mom's (and now my) version has more cocoa (1/4 c. in the cake, and 1/4 c. in the frosting), has some cinnamon (1 tsp. which complements chocolate really well), and uses butter instead of margarine - and walnuts in the icing. I make it in a 9X13, not a jelly roll pan as some do. It's more moist in the 9X13. All that said - it's a fantastic cake, made my way, anyhow. Plenty chocolate-y. It the buttermilk/cocoa/cinnamon interaction that makes it just right.

For anybody who wants mine in a coherent whole:

Grease & flour a 9X13 pan. Sift together:

2 c. flour (250 grams)

1 tsp. soda

2 c. sugar (400 grams)

1 tsp. cinnamon

Boil together:

1 c. water (237 grams)

1/4 c. cocoa (22 grams)

2 sticks butter

Pour over dry mixture while hot. Beat well. Add:

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs

1/2 c. buttermilk (123 grams)

Bake 32 minutes at 375F.

Frosting:

Boil together

1 stick butter

1/4 c. cocoa (22 grams)

6 tbsp. buttermilk (92 grams)

Add

1 lb. confectioner’s sugar (454 grams)

1 c. chopped walnuts (110 grams)

1 tsp. vanilla

Ice while cake is warm.

I call it "Chocolate Fudge Cake". The recipe is also freqently called "Texas Sheet Cake". Just please don't call it Grandma Duggar's cake.

I suspect nearly all the "Duggar" recipes have been likewise obtained from friends, etc, recipes that make the rounds and show up in a bunch of community or church cookbooks. The Duggars certainly are not R&D chefs.

Oh my god, the sugar content of those cakes kills me. :? Do you really add that much sugar? I can't believe it.

I know the Duggars seem (are) averse to fruits, so I was surprised when I was on the Duggar Family Blog (the one run by fans) and apparently Johannah celebrated her last birthday with a "variety of fruits"... I mean, good that she chose something healthy rather than tooth-decay-on-a-plate, but it seems weird seeing as we rarely if ever see them eat fruit and veg.

Archived