IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

Hashbrown casserole is very good... my mom makes a variation of it for holidays and everyone loves it. I think the interesting part is at the end of the recipe they write "Jana's favorite meal!" While this stuff is good and I could eat a whole bowl of it, it certainly is not a meal. This is a side starch, to be accompanied by a protein and a vegetable (or a fruit).

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hashbrown casserole is very good... my mom makes a variation of it for holidays and everyone loves it. I think the interesting part is at the end of the recipe they write "Jana's favorite meal!" While this stuff is good and I could eat a whole bowl of it, it certainly is not a meal. This is a side starch, to be accompanied by a protein and a vegetable (or a fruit).

I've turned it into a breakfast casserole by adding ham to it and serving it with a fruit salad. The way the recipe is written it is totally a side dish. I need to stop talking about it though, I haven't had it in years and I'd almost give up one of my arms to have some. lol

I love hashbrown casserole so much. Cracker Barrel makes really good hasbrown casserole too. I've never tried tater tot casserole though, but to be honest it does look pretty good. Tater tot casserole generally has ground beef in it and sometimes people put green beans in it so I guess that makes it a full meal.

I love hashbrown casserole so much. Cracker Barrel makes really good hasbrown casserole too. I've never tried tater tot casserole though, but to be honest it does look pretty good. Tater tot casserole generally has ground beef in it and sometimes people put green beans in it so I guess that makes it a full meal.

I've never found a tater tot casserole that I do like. It's one of those odd things that I like most of what is in it but when you mix it together it just grosses me out. A hamburger steak, simmered in cream of mushroom soup with a side of tots I can do though. The school I work at serves it once a month or so and I'm one of the few who doesn't eat it. Most of the adults mix the peas into it.

I grew up eating a lot of the same stuff the Duggars have made over the years. It's lots of cheap carbs. I doubt any of the Duggar girls would know how to make a meal from scratch.

My sister always says how she loves to bake- she makes muffins from bulk mixes, krispy treats from all kinds of flavored cereals, break and bake cookies and the occasional loaf of banana bread (from the box except for the mashed banana).

One year for around Christmas- I took her to a baking class at the Central Market cooking school near my house. She decided that was just too much work and she would have to buy too much stuff. Store bought pies it is.

But for some reason she is still known as the baker in the family.....

My stepmother used to consider herself a remarkable cook. She was a bit OCD about cleaning and hated to make a mess in the kitchen. She cooked regularly, but took every shortcut in the book and sometimes experimented. Most of her meals were awful. One time, she piled 5 pounds of cole slaw in a casserole dish, added cream sauce and three tablespoons of taco meat, and called it dinner. She had a small dog that she used to cook meals for from scratch. That night while we ate, I gazed longingly at the dog's homemade chicken and rice in gravy. Dessert was a jello vegetable salad that she covered with cheese. She'd also buy frozen foods from Schwann's, which really quite good, and then try and pass them off as her own recipes.

About the only decent thing my stepmother ever cooked was pot roast, and you have to work at screwing that up.

About the layered salad, that reminds me of 7-layer dip. Not a bad salad, but why does the Duggar recipe require so much sour cream and mayo? I'd use half a cup for the whole thing at most, since I enjoy the taste of vegetables. Maybe all the dressing is to disguise the taste of the veggies for the younger kids. Also don't get why there's so much bacon in it - I love bacon, but almost never add it to dishes I cook (at least not a lot) because I like for the dish to taste like what it's supposed to, not bacon. Like if I'm gonna have a salad, I don't want the whole salad tasting like nothing but bacon.

Also:

"LAYERED SALAD

1st- 1/2 head lettuce

6 boiled eggs, chopped

1/ 2 lb. turkey bacon, crumbled

2nd- 1/2 head lettuce

1 can peas, drained

1 small onion , chopped

3rd- 2 cups REAL* Mayonnaise

1 small container sour cream

Shred cheddar cheese over top. Chill.

*Be sure and use REAL mayonnaise, it makes a big difference! (One of Mommy’s favorites!)"

2 cups of mayonnaise AND a container of sour cream?! Keep in mind, it's one head of lettuce with this, an onion and a can of peas. No other vegetables included.

This should be chilled. Then stirred. Then spread on white bread slices and served. AS AN EGG SALAD SANDWICH.

My grandma made a variation of a potato casserole, but she sliced the potatoes raw, so they were allowed to fully cook while the casserole was baking. Basically, it was done when the potatoes were fully cooked. Her variation called for cream of mushroom soup and some onion soup/dip mix, and layered with cheddar cheese on top. Obviously, it was a side dish served at big holiday meals since was so full of fat and sodium. I've tried hashbrown casserole, and I didn't care for it that much because it's a texture thing as the casseroles I've grown up eating started with sliced potatoes. Another family favorite is a potato casserole with ham and cheddar cheese.

My grandma made a variation of a potato casserole, but she sliced the potatoes raw, so they were allowed to fully cook while the casserole was baking. Basically, it was done when the potatoes were fully cooked. Her variation called for cream of mushroom soup and some onion soup/dip mix, and layered with cheddar cheese on top. Obviously, it was a side dish served at big holiday meals since was so full of fat and sodium. I've tried hashbrown casserole, and I didn't care for it that much because it's a texture thing as the casseroles I've grown up eating started with sliced potatoes. Another family favorite is a potato casserole with ham and cheddar cheese.

I can see where hashbrown casserole would be a let down after that. I miss holiday dishes loaded with crap. It was the few times I ate like other kids. :lol:

She says she continues to follow the program when she's pregnant (which you are NOT supposed to do) and just uses the Points allotment allowed to nursing mothers.

:angry-banghead:

My god Mullet, you are silly.

Even a woman I used to work with who kept a liquid diet (soup, water, tea and alcohol) for at least 2 years started eating properly the minute she got pregnant. This is saying a lot for this woman who was obsessed with her weight to say the least.

Also:

"LAYERED SALAD

1st- 1/2 head lettuce

6 boiled eggs, chopped

1/ 2 lb. turkey bacon, crumbled

2nd- 1/2 head lettuce

1 can peas, drained

1 small onion , chopped

3rd- 2 cups REAL* Mayonnaise

1 small container sour cream

Shred cheddar cheese over top. Chill.

*Be sure and use REAL mayonnaise, it makes a big difference! (One of Mommy’s favorites!)"

2 cups of mayonnaise AND a container of sour cream?! Keep in mind, it's one head of lettuce with this, an onion and a can of peas. No other vegetables included.

I grew up with my snowbird grandma making dinner for our family (Mom & Dad worked long hours or were out of town during the week on business), and casseroles were the number one thing we had since it was either that or meat and potatoes since that's all that my grandpa would eat. That being said, Grandma would put a lot of effort using more fresh ingredients in the casseroles vs. canned.

Layered salad is a staple in our home, especially during summer, although we mix everything together to use less "dressing" (mix of 1/2 c. mayo, 1 T. sugar, 1/4 t. white pepper. I can see why they use 2 cups mayo/1 cup sour cream, since this salad is meant to be layered in a trifle bowl. We layer at least 1 head romaine, 1-2 whole diced red bell peppers, 2 c. thawed frozen peas, chopped scallions, 4 slices of bacon (cooked and crumbled), 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus the modified dressing above.

:angry-banghead:

My god Mullet, you are silly.

Even a woman I used to work with who kept a liquid diet (soup, water, tea and alcohol) for at least 2 years started eating properly the minute she got pregnant. This is saying a lot for this woman who was obsessed with her weight to say the least.

I was on WW when I got pregnant with my son. I knew something was up because I was using my extra points more and more being hungry almost all the time, and then it was confirmed I was pregnant. I didn't follow it again until my son stopped breastfeeding at 6 months.

I love hashbrown casserole. Cracker Barrel has the best one I've ever tried, and I always try to find copy cat recipes for that.

I've made the Duggar tater tot casserole a few times, and it's actually pretty good. My daughter (9 years old) loves it.

My grandmother-in-law makes a layered salad. I always have to figure out how to not eat it without noticeably not eating it since she hates it when people don't eat her food. But layered salad really disgusts me. I think it's all the mayonnaise.

My grandmother-in-law makes a layered salad. I always have to figure out how to not eat it without noticeably not eating it since she hates it when people don't eat her food. But layered salad really disgusts me. I think it's all the mayonnaise.

I'm with you on that one.

I have a condition where I am often put off by textures and flavours - Mayonnaise is one of them. Texture all wrong...

I'm with you on that one.

I have a condition where I am often put off by textures and flavours - Mayonnaise is one of them. Texture all wrong...

I have a texture issue too. I hate mayonnaise by itself. I can handle it in ranch dressing though but then it can only be Helman's.

I have a texture issue too. I hate mayonnaise by itself. I can handle it in ranch dressing though but then it can only be Helman's.

:) I will only eat ONE type of Aioli from one restuarant only and that's that...

Pineapple, Watermelon, Beetroot and Tomato also fit the category of wrong texture...

:) I will only eat ONE type of Aioli from one restuarant only and that's that...

Pineapple, Watermelon, Beetroot and Tomato also fit the category of wrong texture...

I can do pineapple and watermelon. Tomato if it's cooked into something else most of the time. With few exceptions can I handle cooked vegetables. Most think I hate veggies, I don't, I just hate cooked ones.

I can do pineapple and watermelon. Tomato if it's cooked into something else most of the time. With few exceptions can I handle cooked vegetables. Most think I hate veggies, I don't, I just hate cooked ones.

I finally got over my texture issue with raw celery about a year ago. For me, it's watermelon and cucumbers (large pickles as well) that send me up a wall.

Doesn't the lettuce's texture get all weird in that layered salad? Sounds like it would go very limp. I saw a recipe in a magazine that seems like a better way to make the layered salad (in concept, because there are no layers), though the recipe featured tuna. Anyway, you take the core and a bit around the core out of the lettuce, fill with tuna salad (egg salad, shrimp salad, chopped veggies mixed in dressing, whatever), and refrigerate. Then you can slice it in wedges. Sounds like people would get more lettuce and less calories that way. But of course it's a totally different salad.

Back to Duggar delights... 2 cups of mayo AND sour cream, and the only veggie other than lettuce is a canned starch. Some salad.

Does anyone have their bread recipe?? I just saw the ep where Jinger teaches it to Joy. Looked yummy and I was impressed they ground their own wheat. That is odd though that they would make homemade bread and grind their own wheat, yet cover the rest of their food with some kind of canned soup or velveeta.

(Not dissing, as I have been known to whip up many a family dinner with the help of Campbells cream of whatever. The best one is Cream of Onion. Dump that over a chuck roast in the crock pot and 6-8 hours later you have a tasty dinner)

I think this goes back to Gothard liking homemade bread, or something to that effect. What bugs me is all the small cans of stuff. If I want to feed 20 or so people, I want the BIG cans of soup.. what a lot of can opening and wasteage!

Does anyone have their bread recipe?? I just saw the ep where Jinger teaches it to Joy. Looked yummy and I was impressed they ground their own wheat. That is odd though that they would make homemade bread and grind their own wheat, yet cover the rest of their food with some kind of canned soup or velveeta.

(Not dissing, as I have been known to whip up many a family dinner with the help of Campbells cream of whatever. The best one is Cream of Onion. Dump that over a chuck roast in the crock pot and 6-8 hours later you have a tasty dinner)

I think their bread is on the wayback link (from the OP), I know their rolls are there.

ew - wilted slimey lettuce. Heebie jeebies. :lol: The soggy lettuce problem in layered salad can be fixed (kind of) by using broccoli and cauliflower. It's definitely not the same as the old fashioned lettuce and pea salad, but still a way to make raw veggies taste good. The recipe from the Esther Shank cookbook is about 4 cups of each, broccoli and cauliflower -- rinsed and chopped, 1/2 lb. shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1 lb. fried bacon crumbled, then combine 1/2 c. miracle whip, 2 TBS sugar, dash of vinegar or lemon juice - pour over other ingredients and stir, chill in fridge before serving. Optional tiny cherry tomatoes or shredded carrot. Very pricey, my hubby loves it, so it's a holiday thing for us. But with the sturdier veggies instead of lettuce it's even better the next day. I don't think i could get him to eat raw cauliflower without some kind of sauce. (from this cookbook: amazon.com/Mennonite-Country-Style-Recipes-Kitchen-Secrets/dp/0836136977)

For holidays I make a super fattening layered salad. :-) It has lettuce, peas, mayonnaise, sugar, bacon, and shredded cheese. I fully recognize that the lettuce is merely a lard and fat delivery device but it's so, so good!

I have to make sure that the lettuce is very dry when placed in the bottom of the bowl, otherwise water eventually settles and you get a soggy lettuce mess at the bottom of the dish. But, so long as the lettuce is really dry, then the peas add a layer of protection between the lettuce and mayonnaise/sugar mixture and keeps the lettuce from getting all gross before you've eaten it.

Archived