IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

Oh my god, the sugar content of those cakes kills me. :? Do you really add that much sugar? I can't believe it.

Yes - It's a cake - that you might make once in a blue moon for a celebration...

Nobody said it's supposed to be nutritious.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes - It's a cake - that you might make once in a blue moon for a celebration...

I always halve the amount of sugar in cake recipes. Otherwise, it's just too cloying with the frosting. I find that doesn't work with brownies or cookies.

Well, thanks for enlightening me on the fact that cake is not nutritious. :roll: I guess now I have to fall back on raspberry bars, because they are nutritious as per Anna Duggar.

One cup of sugar is a lot of sugar already, the Duggar recipe, however, calls for 2 for a normal sized cake. If one maybe reduced the sugar content by 1/3rd or by half, the cake could actually taste like something more than just sugar. :roll:

(Rule of thumb where I live: Got an American recipe? Cut amount of sugar by at least 1/2.)

Not to offend anyone, but Duggar food is pretty trailer park-ish. Sure some of it may taste good, but it's all pretty processed crap. It's all epidemic of why North America has an obesity problem. My guess is when the Duggars become doughy like Josh has, diverticulitis isn't far off.

Well, thanks for enlightening me on the fact that cake is not nutritious. :roll: I guess now I have to fall back on raspberry bars, because they are nutritious as per Anna Duggar.

One cup of sugar is a lot of sugar already, the Duggar recipe, however, calls for 2 for a normal sized cake. If one maybe reduced the sugar content by 1/3rd or by half, the cake could actually taste like something more than just sugar. :roll:

(Rule of thumb where I live: Got an American recipe? Cut amount of sugar by at least 1/2.)

I'm with you here. Going by the pound cake ration (a pound of everything) I would look at that recipe and remove 3/4 or 1 cup of sugar.

As a first generation Asian-American (parents were immigrants), I find that this is definitely true. Something from the Asian supermarket bakery is way lighter on the sugar than something from Safeway (or Rouses/Wegmans/Schnucks/whatever).

I know the Duggars seem (are) averse to fruits, so I was surprised when I was on the Duggar Family Blog (the one run by fans) and apparently Johannah celebrated her last birthday with a "variety of fruits"... I mean, good that she chose something healthy rather than tooth-decay-on-a-plate, but it seems weird seeing as we rarely if ever see them eat fruit and veg.

Maybe she asked for it for her birthday because she knew it was a treat she wouldn't normally get... I don't know whether to use a :lol: or :cry: face

TVP?

Textured Vegetable Protein. It's soy based and people use it to make fake meat.

Textured Vegetable Protein. It's soy based and people use it to make fake meat.

Oh, I know what it is. I was suggesting it for a vegetarian version of TTC :)

Here is the recipe for the Duggar's white chili recipe.

//wwwfoodfanatic.com/recipes/duggar-family-white-chili-recipe/

It does seem healthier than most Duggar recipes.

I feel sad for the young J'girl who requested fruit for her birthday because I remember Mullet saying that grapes are rationed in her home. If grapes are rationed I wonder how often the kids get things like peaches, melon and the like.

I tried their "apple pie" once (what they call apple dumplings...). It was ok.

But I really like pickles (not a recipe though).

I always wondered why they did not try vegetarian "meat salad" (smoked tofu + pickles + mayonnaise + vinegar + salt/pepper/parsley/sweetpepper powder). Easy to make, serve with wholegrain rolls, can be a side dish/part of a buffet.

Also chickpea salad (chickpeas + feta + green onions + oliveoil/vinegar/Chili/pepper).

Or any kind of european style pasta salad (pickles, pasta, bell peppers in any colour, eggs, mixed pickles salad/pustza salad + dressing of mayonnaise or low fat plain yoghurt/oil/parsley/pepper/vinegar). You can take wholegrain spirelli/farfalle to make it healthier.

Another version: wholegrain spaghetti, carrots in long bands, peas, red onions, sprouts, radish, a dressing of white balsamic vinegar + oil and pepper.

Fast recipes which can be done for crowds of people. And more fun than tater tots...

go jana :)!

I tried their "apple pie" once (what they call apple dumplings...). It was ok.

But I really like pickles (not a recipe though).

I always wondered why they did not try vegetarian "meat salad" (smoked tofu + pickles + mayonnaise + vinegar + salt/pepper/parsley/sweetpepper powder). Easy to make, serve with wholegrain rolls, can be a side dish/part of a buffet.

Also chickpea salad (chickpeas + feta + green onions + oliveoil/vinegar/Chili/pepper).

Or any kind of european style pasta salad (pickles, pasta, bell peppers in any colour, eggs, mixed pickles salad/pustza salad + dressing of mayonnaise or low fat plain yoghurt/oil/parsley/pepper/vinegar). You can take wholegrain spirelli/farfalle to make it healthier.

Another version: wholegrain spaghetti, carrots in long bands, peas, red onions, sprouts, radish, a dressing of white balsamic vinegar + oil and pepper.

Fast recipes which can be done for crowds of people. And more fun than tater tots...

go jana :)!

21+ people and such a lack of creativity. It makes me weep.

21+ people and such a lack of creativity. It makes me weep.

Too much creativity on the kitchen counter could lead down a dangerous path of creativity in things like... outdoor activities or education choices. And before you know it, you find yourself a loose-knickered strumpet, socializing with shady subjects like teh gayz and social state supporters!

:naughty:

Now we don´t want that, won´t we?

I think part of it has to do with Jim Bob and Michelle. Whenever we see them eating something out of the ordinary, they always turn their noses up at it. The kids seem more adventurous, but the Duggar cook has to please the parents first and foremost.

I'd make the Voeller dressing Jill posted on her Instagram a while ago: instagram.com/p/p9sDNILs8R/

I LOVE salad.

I own their (the Voellers) cookbook and there are so many good recipes in it!

There are so many meals that don't require much work or fancy ingredients.

Whole grain crackers + sliced apples + carrot sticks + olives + cheese + salami platter

Rice (rice cooker) + broccoli (steam or boil) + chicken (bake or crock pot!)

Salad bar with a couple choices of protein--hard-boiled eggs, beans, chicken, tuna

Soft tacos with a bunch of fresh veggies to choose from--beans, chicken, bell peppers, avocado, tomato, cilantro, onions, salsa, cheese, sour cream, olives, lettuce, corn. Again, not much prep work. Just heat the tortillas and proteins and chop the veggies. Set it all out with some lime wedges and let everyone dig in.

Spaghetti with lots of zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions mixed int the sauce with some meat. I put mine through the food processor so they are the texture of ground beef so my kids can't pick them out or detect them. I season it so it tastes like there's sausage mixed in. Heck, I've even pureed kidney beans and mixed it into the sauce. You can't even taste them. But, I love kidney beans.

Egg salad sandwiches and fruit or a green smoothie.

Pot roast in the crock pot with lots of carrots and onions + baked potatoes.

Or as I've said a zillion times on this forum: just mix in a bag of frozen veggies into the tator tot casserole recipe! It's better than nothing!

I think part of it has to do with Jim Bob and Michelle. Whenever we see them eating something out of the ordinary, they always turn their noses up at it. The kids seem more adventurous, but the Duggar cook has to please the parents first and foremost.

If one could eat a BBQ tuna sandwich, and we all know that it was not make with tuna steaks, one should be able to eat just about anything,without complaint, and find it tasty.

Almost all of the Duggar food recipes are common to the locale and church potluck circuit. Frito pie is sold at Sonic and high school football games etc. Aka walking tacos.

It's kind of mind boggling to me that the Duggars have all of that land and all of those kids and don't have a vegetable garden. I grew up in the rural south and almost everyone at least grew some tomatoes. Most people also grew cucumbers, beans, watermelon, corn, you name it. As a kid, I loved seeing the plants go from nothing to real food. It's not even that hard. I'm in a highly congested urban area now and I still grow a few tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.

It's kind of mind boggling to me that the Duggars have all of that land and all of those kids and don't have a vegetable garden. I grew up in the rural south and almost everyone at least grew some tomatoes. Most people also grew cucumbers, beans, watermelon, corn, you name it. As a kid, I loved seeing the plants go from nothing to real food. It's not even that hard. I'm in a highly congested urban area now and I still grow a few tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.

I grew up in the city and as soon as my mother bought a bungalow we had a garden with tomatoes and some other stuff. The place came with a grapevine and berry bushes, so we had those as well. When she moved to a house in a suburban area she tried her hand at growing corn. It was a hot year and she didn't know much about growing stuff, but the fact is she tried... There is zero excuse why the Duggars, especially with so many kidults not working outside the home or busy with school, can't have a vegetable garden.

I grew up in the city and as soon as my mother bought a bungalow we had a garden with tomatoes and some other stuff. The place came with a grapevine and berry bushes, so we had those as well. When she moved to a house in a suburban area she tried her hand at growing corn. It was a hot year and she didn't know much about growing stuff, but the fact is she tried... There is zero excuse why the Duggars, especially with so many kidults not working outside the home or busy with school, can't have a vegetable garden.

Whatever happened to that kid that was so into science? Jedediah? I would think he would be interested in growing food, if only to watch the physical processes. Surely he could rope in a younger sibling to help him with the grunt work.

Too much creativity on the kitchen counter could lead down a dangerous path of creativity in things like... outdoor activities or education choices. And before you know it, you find yourself a loose-knickered strumpet, socializing with shady subjects like teh gayz and social state supporters!

:naughty:

Now we don´t want that, won´t we?

When you put it that way... wow, that really would make sense. Not to mention, for a lot of people their initial experience of another culture is often through food. You might not pick up a book on Japan, but you might try that new sushi restaurant in town. And that might lead to (heaven forbid!) curiosity! Then it'd be back to the blanket for them :(

I'm a fan of tater tot hotdish (casserole in my area generally means a cold noodle-based salad, like a tuna salad), but not precisely the way they do it. Need to add at least some frozen peas and corn to the mix, sometimes even some fresh green beans. My family does use the cream soups, though.

I seem to remember that a few years ago there was a scene at the end of an episode where they planted a small vegetable garden, but I think I got that confused with the one time they landscaped their front pebbles by putting a few potted plants in the ground.

There's also scene in Cheaper by the Duggars from season 1 (that's the name of the episode on YouTube, it spans parts 2&3) where a family friend supposedly planted some cucumbers on their land. Jim Bob really talks it up to be more than what we see on screen.

I found this, I think it was an update that they did later.

youtube.com/watch?v=dARXRTXSdH8

Those two plants are so pathetic they wouldn't feed a family of four more than a few snacks.

I thought they lived near a landfill or something? I suppose with their plan to have the kids build their own adjacent houses one day, they needed as much land as cheaply as possible?

It's just ridiculous though that they don't grow anything. When I lived in the South, almost everyone I knew was big into gardening. Surely something must be okay to grow, even on bad land? Some herbs in pots?

Archived