IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

Guest Anonymous
Bad news for the Duggars (and some American workers) today. Campbell's soup is closing two plants. From what I read they are moving to pouch packaging and away from tins. The news article stated that the pouches give the appearance of freshly prepared food :roll: In some respects I think this news deserves it's own thread, but tins can be recycled and stack neatly. Can you imagine the Duggars sorting through hundreds of bags of soup and attempting to store them in their food warehouse?

And they think that consumers will feel more like they're making the soup themselves by opening a pouch. Laziness.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
I really think the "Dump, mix, bake" method of cooking is now seen as real home cooking.

Have you ever seen Sandra Lee? Every single recipe on that woman's cooking show has food from boxes, cans, and pouches. Her Kwanzaa cake is an angel food cake from the store cut in half with canned icing mixed with cinnamon and chocolate, canned apple pie filling in the middle, more of that icing crap, and corn nuts. That counts as homemade. It's gross.

We've seen Michelle's wonder at that food conference about how fresh vegetables can taste good.

There's not a veggie I don't prefer fresh. Her poor kids are developing pallets for bad foods.

Guest Anonymous
tater tots are fucking delicious.. i will not argue that.

I make this nasty-sounding sauce that is fucking incredible with tater tots, but the recipe would make you gag. If I hadn't had dinner already, I'd make it. It's also great for fish sticks.

And they think that consumers will feel more like they're making the soup themselves by opening a pouch. Laziness.

I suspect that it has more to do with both the idea that a pouch is "fresher" and that there isn't a way to can tomato based products in a can that doesn't include BPA. (which is why some companies have gone to jars instead, but there still is BPA in the lids)

ETA- this makes me sad. My childhood neighbor worked for Campbell's soup, and he was one of those men who liked to shop. He'd come home from the company store with way more than his wife and him would ever eat, and sometimes things they didn't even eat, because it was such a good deal. (and with the prices he told us about, they were great deals) So a reasonable amount ended up being given to my family- I've been told he also gave stuff to the previous family in the house, and I'm sure he gave to other family friends. I remember his wife ranting on more than one occasion about the amount of food he'd bring home. My mom refused to buy spaghettios, so the way we got them was when he brought them home. He also would specifically get chicken gumbo for my brother and bean and bacon for me.

I'm perfectly happy to just eat something simple like rice with melted cheese, as long as it's real cheese.

Cheesy rice is my favorite meal. I have it down to a science so that there's a nice brown crust on the bottom. It's not the most nutritious meal but now as an adult I use brown rice at least.

We made the Duggar's recipe that called for both a can of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom. I was really disappointed because it sounded like a comfort food recipe but was way to artificial.

Tatertots are shredded potato balls that are browned on the outside. I'm not sure how they are bound together... egg?

Cheesy rice is my favorite meal.

That reminds me of one of my favorite dishes from a now-closed local Tex-Mex restaurant. They took Mexican rice and formed rice balls around a chunk of cheese, then baked it. So, so good.

Mind sharing the recipe? That sounds delicious! :drool:

I got the recipe from a friend so this is just from memory. It's one of those recipes you can't really mess up but here are some approximate amounts.

4 zucchinis, sliced (about 4 cups)

1 small onion, diced

(optional: 1 or 2 tomatoes, diced)

(also optional: cook a few strips of bacon until crisp and crumble over the top)

1 cup milk

1 cup grated cheese

6 eggs

Salt & pepper to your liking, or about 1/2 to 1 tsp each.

Spread zucchini and onion in a greased 9x13" dish. Mix milk, cheese, eggs, and spices. Pour over vegetables. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Edit - Oops, I meant to specify in my original post that the 10 minutes doesn't include baking, just prep time.

I got the recipe from a friend so this is just from memory. It's one of those recipes you can't really mess up but here are some approximate amounts.

4 zucchinis, sliced

1 small onion, diced

(also optional: cook a few strips of bacon until crisp and crumble over the top)

1 cup milk

1 cup grated cheese

6 eggs

Spread zucchini and onion in a greased 9x13" dish. Mix milk, cheese, eggs, and spices. Pour over vegetables. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

I did something similar last week and used low fat ricotta instead of eggs and left out the bacon. It was killer I used lots of garlic, oregano and some crushed red peppers.

4 zucchinis, sliced (about 4 cups)

1 small onion, diced

1 cup milk

1 cup grated cheese

6 eggs

Edit - Oops, I meant to specify in my original post that the 10 minutes doesn't include baking, just prep time.

Thank you! :dance: I can't wait to make it.

Sounds delish.

Here, a casserole is something that is slooooow cooked. Basically a stew. Here's a recipe to celebrate Irish independance on FJ!

Beef in Guinness.

1 kilo diced beef

2 onions

4 large carrots

4 slices smoked bacon

500 ml can Guinness

1 Can chopped tomatoes

1 bay leaf

1 tablespoon oil for frying

1 tablespoon flour

Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Dice and fry onions with bay leaf till brown in a hot pan, then dump in casserole dish

Sear beef (in small amounts) in hot pan then transfer to casserole

Chop the bacon into small pieces and fry and transfer

Toss your flour and mix through meat and onions

Deglaze the hot pan with the Guinness, pour into casserole with tomatoes

Cook on low for 2 hours, then toss in the peeled chopped carrots and return to oven for 1 hour

Season

You need to watch liquid, adding water at carrot stage and at end to prevent dried up dinner

Serve with mashed potatoes and veg, best of all chopped fried cabbage and spring onion mixed into your mash to make colcannon. Plenty of black pepper and salt and REAL butter.

ETA must have a lid on casserole!

Have you ever seen Sandra Lee? Every single recipe on that woman's cooking show has food from boxes, cans, and pouches. Her Kwanzaa cake is an angel food cake from the store cut in half with canned icing mixed with cinnamon and chocolate, canned apple pie filling in the middle, more of that icing crap, and corn nuts. That counts as homemade. It's gross.

No, no, no, it's SEMI-homemade, there's totally a difference ;) I don't really watch any cooking shows, but I saw a clip of her making that kwanzaa cake and it was hilarious.

Personally the whole "put cream soup or mayo" in everything makes me ill. I will admit that I find a few of the Duggar's recipes to seem okay. I'm a fan of quick pickles for instance. And I checked out the Pioneer woman after her being mentioned here. While most of her recipes seemed to be outside of my taste I was intrigued by her making iced coffee concentrate with just cold water, coffee grounds and time. WIth house renovations and home work piling up I've taken on the unfortunate habit of drinking iced coffee... often times at 4 dollars a serving!

The one recipe of Pioneer Woman I've seen/tried uses actual ingredients, not cans/boxes. My husband loves it. I'm not a huge fan of eggs so I'm not as big a fan, but it's pretty good. It's basically hard boiled eggs, cheese, seasonings & a bit of mayo for binder on English muffins & broiled.

For a "Duggar size" batch of fried rice, they use 5 cups of rice. Apparently, each Duggar only eats about a fifth of a cup of rice.

That's crazy. I have a family of 6, only 5 of us really eat rice at the moment (2 adults, and 11, 7 & 3 yr old) I make at *least* 2 1/2 cups of rice. We then have that with 2 packs of stir fry meat (or one large one) and 2 small bags or half a bulk bag of frozen veggies.

Back to the green beans. It seems also to be 'go to' Duggar baby food, preferably fed to a horizontal child. Was Anna not trying recently to feed her baby a jar of baby food, which he did not like. She then said he prefers her homemade baby food. WHICH turned out to be pureed frozen green beans?

Feeding babies on their backs drives me CRAZY. It's so dangerous. With my last 2 kids I've actually done baby led weaning. So much easier. Not really any cleaner, though. lol Not possible to feed babies without a giant mess, although my youngest is doing quite well. Hard to make too much of a mess with avocado slices when you wolf down an entire half in under 10 minutes. And he's not even 8 months.

Anna should just thaw some green beans and hand them over. Or buy fresh, but that doesn't seem to be something they really do.

edited to fix quotes

The one recipe of Pioneer Woman I've seen/tried uses actual ingredients, not cans/boxes. My husband loves it. I'm not a huge fan of eggs so I'm not as big a fan, but it's pretty good. It's basically hard boiled eggs, cheese, seasonings & a bit of mayo for binder on English muffins & broiled.

I agree, while some may be high on butter or cream, I've used a couple of her recipes that were not, and they were both very good. All "normal" ingredients. Actually I may make Crash Hot Potatoes for dinner tonight. They are AMAZING, and just small new potatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper and whatever herbs/spices you want.

Is it horrible to admit that my dad and I made TTC for dinner tonight? I mean, we had veggies in it and as a side and we used less Cream-of-Whatever slop than the recipe calls for, and it wasn't bad. Wasn't good either, but it still had to be better than what the Duggars make.

Ha! So did I! I used Trader Joe tots instead of Tater Tots and a can of Trader Joe chili instead of "cream of" since Trader Joe doesn't seem to sell condensed soup. Mr. Shrdlu ate it but was not impressed. I think he didn't care for the Trader Joe chili (too healthy).

I went to an Andy Warhol exhibition a couple of weeks ago, and dragged my headship along. Evidently my love/hate Duggars obsession has had more influence on him than my love/love Warhol obsession, because, upon seeing a wall of Campbell's soup tin paintings, he said "It looks like the Duggars' pantry." :lol:

LOL, I looked up from reading this thread and there was a Campbell's commercial on :lol:

They really do have a recipe for enchiladas using cream of chicken soup :shock:

Ok, I haven't admitted it until now, but I have one recipe that uses cream of crap soup that I make. It's my grandma's "cheesy potatoes" recipe, and though I don't particularly care for it, my husband lurrrrves it, so it gets made once a year or so (holidays only). It contains shredded frozen potatoes, cream of chicken soup, milk, spices, cheddar cheese, and crushed corn flakes. Oops...

Ok, I haven't admitted it until now, but I have one recipe that uses cream of crap soup that I make. It's my grandma's "cheesy potatoes" recipe, and though I don't particularly care for it, my husband lurrrrves it, so it gets made once a year or so (holidays only). It contains shredded frozen potatoes, cream of chicken soup, milk, spices, cheddar cheese, and crushed corn flakes. Oops...

Funeral potatoes! I learned about them on FJ and tried them out. They are actually very delicious but a bit too rich.

Food snob in regards to the Duggars? Or food snob in regards to FJ food choices?!

I'm a total food snob, but I don't take it to mean that food has to be complicated or fancy (although when I have a kitchen again I plan on cooking some fancy things again!)

I mean it as in terms of food can be good and simple but to have a snobbish approach in terms of not eating pure junk.

Personally the whole "put cream soup or mayo" in everything makes me ill. I will admit that I find a few of the Duggar's recipes to seem okay. I'm a fan of quick pickles for instance. And I checked out the Pioneer woman after her being mentioned here. While most of her recipes seemed to be outside of my taste I was intrigued by her making iced coffee concentrate with just cold water, coffee grounds and time. WIth house renovations and home work piling up I've taken on the unfortunate habit of drinking iced coffee... often times at 4 dollars a serving!

I made the "iced coffee" and it wasn't good enough for the hassle! I had to strain it 3 times, and it still had some grounds in it! Now I just make a pot of coffee and chill it.

LOL, I looked up from reading this thread and there was a Campbell's commercial on :lol:

That is especially odd as they own Pace Foods too.

Really? I'm Mexican, and I don't think we ever use any type of chicken stock/soup for making enchiladas. :?:

I made the "iced coffee" and it wasn't good enough for the hassle! I had to strain it 3 times, and it still had some grounds in it! Now I just make a pot of coffee and chill it.

It's called cold press coffee and it's not unique to PW -- most local coffee shops around here serve it. Making the coffee like this keeps the bitterness down slightly, and ups the caffeine (light roasts are also higher in caffeine). I picked up a French press at a thrift store and use that to make it, and have no problem with grounds.

Archived