IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

I do have a Duggar level obsession with Cracker Barrel. It might because I only get it once every two years or so.

I worked at Cracker Barrel years ago, and I still eat there every once in a while. You'll pry my Cracker Barrel biscuits and gravy from my cold dead hands!

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked at Cracker Barrel years ago, and I still eat there every once in a while. You'll pry my Cracker Barrel biscuits and gravy from my cold dead hands!

You can have the gravy but I'll fight you for sausage biscuits and hash brown casserole.

I don't like the kind of food the Duggars eat. All bland, boring crap. I am the sort of person who puts hot sauce on everything.

I made Chickenetti a few years ago. I think I changed the recipe a little. My hubby and I both liked it. :embarrassed:

I don't like the kind of food the Duggars eat. All bland, boring crap. I am the sort of person who puts hot sauce on everything.

I'm the same way, and my future headship calls me a fire eater because I do that, and love spicy foods. His digestive system can't handle the same type of heat, but he does like to try different things. In fact, we had some foods that the Duggars would run screaming from, and I don't mean sushi. This past Saturday, we got to try pig's uterus, and when that's cooked, it looks like large macaroni and has an extremely chewy texture.

My mom used to make a dish that was right up there with the fundies. It was macaroni noodles, hamburger, green beans and corn in a Campbell's tomato soup -undiluted- base. But it got some veg into us. I was picky as hell as a kid. And I loved that dish. I haven't thought about it in years, and now I'm going to have to try to find a way to remake it in a healthier way...

I can't think of much that the fundies make that I particularly enjoy.

You can have the gravy but I'll fight you for sausage biscuits and hash brown casserole.

I have to have a chicken and dumplin' fix every once in awhile. Or stop in for French Toast and hash brown casserole. I had no idea Cracker Barrel was a fundie thing.

I have never made their tater tot casserole but I once made something called Redneck Casserole: hot dogs cut up, baked beans, shredded cheddar, and tater tots. Once was enough! I'm a color eater, I gotta have lots of colors on the plate.

My theory about their convenience foods is, it's another Michelle cop-out. No way is she going to cook meals from scratch, using fresh ingredients. Honey, that sounds too much like work. It's the daughters, exhausted from all the child-rearing, who are responsible for the meals. I assume they never have the time or the skills, so they just slap together the canned soup stuff. It's what I would do if I were a teenager looking after screaming kids all day. That box of instant mashed potatoes starts to look pretty good around 6 pm, you know?

I have a vegetarian recipe for TTC that uses peas, corn, carrots, pinto beans, low-sodium cream of mushroom soup, and powdered garlic and onion. It's good for a (VERY) once in a while comfort food dish.

One of these days I want to tinker around with a BBQ Tuna recipe, but make it more like a grilled tuna steak with a BBQ spice rub.

I bought a vintage copy of the Campbell's Cooking With Soup book from a used book fair. It makes me think of the Duggars and their bland/salty preferences. Their recipe for Mulligatawny is a mixture of cream of chicken soup, chicken and rice soup, and curry powder.

I confess, we have tater tot casserole once or twice a month at work, and it's probably just as unhealthy as the Duggars. It's tots, ground beef, the canned soup, and the frozen veggies with like peas, carrots, corn, and like some green beans. Gives me heartburn, but apparently a few things do, post gallbladder removal.

I feel like Al Franken won a hot dish cookoff between members of the Minnesota congressional delegation a few years back by making some version of tater tot casserole.

My Mom cooks like the Duggars. I was raised eating casseroles and cream-of-whatever soup.

I don't cook like that. My kiddos love veggies and fruit. They both experiment with being vegetarian. We've been trying vegan meals lately for something new. Don't laugh, I don't like the pretentiousness of Gwenyth Paltrow, but she does have some good vegan recipes on her website.

Oh! I'll join in the scrum for the hash brown casserole! I'm also partial to the pecan pancakes. :D

I feel like Al Franken won a hot dish cookoff between members of the Minnesota congressional delegation a few years back by making some version of tater tot casserole.

My grandma on my dad's side (northern branch of the family) cooks tater tot hot dish a lot and that's basically what it is, tater tot casserole.

I've made TTC a few times..but a yummier version...no canned milk anywhere in sight. It's definitely not my favorite dish, but the hubby and kid will eat it.

My theory about their convenience foods is, it's another Michelle cop-out. No way is she going to cook meals from scratch, using fresh ingredients. Honey, that sounds too much like work. It's the daughters, exhausted from all the child-rearing, who are responsible for the meals. I assume they never have the time or the skills, so they just slap together the canned soup stuff. It's what I would do if I were a teenager looking after screaming kids all day. That box of instant mashed potatoes starts to look pretty good around 6 pm, you know?

I also think it has to do with what's available and practicality. I don't know how rural of an area they live in, but with elevendy million small children, running to the store for fresh veg every few days is a hell of a chore. It's easier to stock up on a bunch of cans and freezer stuff than to pack all the kids in the car and go shop.

Granted, now they can send older buddy teams out to do that and they appear to be eating much better now.

I think the cans 'o stuff are also cheaper - it's cheap and easy to grab a flat of canned whatever at Aldi's. Their cooking habits and rotation or recipes was set when they were trying to feed a lot of mouths on a tiny budget, and just never evolved.

Watching the initial JB vs. Josh weight loss episodes, I was struck by the effort Anna put into trying new healthy recipes and changing the whole family's diet. And then we see JB eating mixed veggies out of a can (or flash back to the old Weight Watchers episode with JB eating plain canned tomatoes).

Tator-tot casserole. But I add a bag of frozen peas & carrots to mine so I don't feel so guilty. ;)

Put me down for tater tot casserole, too! lol My mom made it occasionally growing up. She never used cream of soups in it, though.

I make it sometimes now, but my husband isn't crazy about it. I add sauteed tomatoes, onions, peppers, and a cheesy bechemel sauce so he'll eat it. The kids love it, though.

I'm a Food snob. Oh yes. What the Duggars do does not deserve to be called cooking. It's slapping processed crap together to look like a meal. Their "recipes" don't even deserve to be called recipes. Bahhh. :oops:

NEVER would I even just think about cooking anything that could be served in the TTH.

I'm a food snob too... and casseroles have a long standing tradition in Americana cuisine. It's just as homemade as anything - and depending on how much time and effort you have to put in to the dish, you can make some haute cuisine.

And if you are a busy family running around dropping off kids and getting home late from work, the cans of soup and bags of frozen veg are still a better option that ordering a pizza and sitting in front of the TV.

Granted, I don't know what Michelle's excuse is... you can't buy pizza used and save the difference and they don't have TV... but for the rest of us...

The whole can of this, bag of that cooking has always been known as 'American Cooking' in my family. I know that's not accurate but all the recipes like that we have found invariably come from American books or sites.

Curiosity got the better of me once and I tried the Tater Tot casserole. God, it was disgusting. I did try their Baked Apples because we had some apples that needed to be used but not the sultanas which we put in my families version. It was nice but so sweet.

My Aunt makes the ice cream sandwich cake. She got the recipe on a Kraft site or some such place. I don't think she puts in crushed Butterfingers, but it's good nonetheless. It's super easy.

I tried the chicken velveeta spaghetti heart attack in a casserole and did not like it. I actually thought I would.

I have no desire to ever marry BBQ sauce and tuna.

I'm not a fan of tater tots, but I'm not against cream of whatever soups.

I'll admit I've done the BBQ sauce and tuna thing a few times.

It's not bad. The sauce covers any kind of fishy taste, so it's not as weird as you'd think.

What's the point of ice cream sandwich cake? Why wouldn't you just serve the ice cream sandwich with whipped cream and sprinkles??? How does this deserve to be called a cake?

The whole can of this, bag of that cooking has always been known as 'American Cooking' in my family. I know that's not accurate but all the recipes like that we have found invariably come from American books or sites.

Exactly this. It's sad but I don't call American recipes actual "recipes". I call them instructions to fix an easy meal. It's really sad because I know there are lots of Americans who cook great stuff and are able to do what I call "real cooking". However, I have never seen so many processed and pre-packaged items in recipes as I have in American ones. Actually, I know no recipes other than American ones where prepackaged stuff, processed items etc., spice mixes are the norm. One would think that there is a trend against that, but take for example the Pioneer Woman, and her cooking still does not deserve to be called that and many commenters still find her stuff too difficult or are in awe at her "skills". :roll: :shifty-kitty: :shifty:

I'm not saying that where I come from people are all wholesome, crunchy home-made granola eaters. Probably far from that, but the general value of real foods (vs. frankenfoods and processed crap) and actual cooking is a different one.

One of their recipes is for white chicken chili. It sounds healthy and good.

Archived