IGNORED

Mississippi's 'Personhood' Law Could Outlaw Birth Control

Shoobydoo

No, its not about that. I will gladly pay taxes that go toward social services if I knew the government was using the money efficiently. But since they are dysfunctional and have little competition to keep them efficient, they continue to spend spend spend and increase it every decade. A little bit of government welfare is okay, if they are being challenged by competition.

So this is why my multi-millionaire ex-boss routinely cheated on his taxes! (Seriously, the things he put under "travel.....)

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we're fighting that by, what, outlawing abortion and ending welfare in favor of a hardline JUST DEAL WITH IT policy?

Pretty sure the people on government assistance are not the most spoiled, lazy, selfish people in this country.

Okay, you are telling me you have never seen someone abusing welfare? When I see what some people are buying with their food stamps it makes me furious. How about basic food supplies, not junk food! You obviously don't know the people I know on Welfare who still have cable TV, spend half of it on lottery tickets, and play Xbox all the time.

Would you please, in the name of all that is good and holy, present what you think a sufficient punishment for abortion would be? I'd really like to know what you think.

No, its not about that. I will gladly pay taxes that go toward social services if I knew the government was using the money efficiently. But since they are dysfunctional and have little competition to keep them efficient, they continue to spend spend spend and increase it every decade. A little bit of government welfare is okay, if they are being challenged by competition.

Ok, I have to ask, do you really think that there are for-profit corporations out there that are going to compete with the government to provide social services? Wouldn't a for-profit entity also increase costs because their purpose is to make a profit?

They do have competition. For instance, the government gives me $400 per month in food stamps, while the private charities will give me a paper sack of groceries once every two months. The government will rent me a subsidized apartment, while the church will let me sleep on their pews a few nights per week. The government will give me prenatal care while the local CPC will give me a little plastic doll the size of my fetus.

Okay, you are telling me you have never seen someone abusing welfare? When I see what some people are buying with their food stamps it makes me furious. How about basic food supplies, not junk food! You obviously don't know the people I know on Welfare who still have cable TV, spend half of it on lottery tickets, and play Xbox all the time.

Ahahahahah, Fictional Welfare Friend . Like his compatriots the Fictional Gay Friend and Fictional Black Friend, frequently brought up when someone is losing an argument and has no more factual information to offer.

The Fictional Welfare Friend: no one can disprove his existence, and he makes everything you say true! Buy one today at your local Walmart.

Ok, I have to ask, do you really think that there are for-profit corporations out there that are going to compete with the government to provide social services? Wouldn't a for-profit entity also increase costs because their purpose is to make a profit?

It doesn't have to be for profit. Non-profit charities can do a great job. What I am proposing is the government should downsize welfare and help private companies expand to take their place.

What food people choose to purchase with food stamps is none of your business. What people choose for themselves to eat, in general, is not your business. For what it's worth, most of the people I know on food stamps also happen to be extremely health-conscious. Good thing anecdotes aren't data.

(I don't have cable TV, jericho. But I do have internet! :dance: Aren't you just horrified?)

It doesn't have to be for profit. Non-profit charities can do a great job. What I am proposing is the government should downsize welfare and help private companies expand to take their place.

The government should downsize welfare so they can give more welfare.

Wow, do you live in Yakima? I'm pretty sure you yelled at me last week while I was buying groceries. I bought some Halloween cookies for my son's class party. The horror that I should spend 3.99 on cookies :/

Yes, I am sure that a welfare queen who gets $400 per month to support herself and two small children is spending half on lottery tickets. Especially when that does not even cover rent.

Would you please, in the name of all that is good and holy, present what you think a sufficient punishment for abortion would be? I'd really like to know what you think.

Just one of the questions Jericho avoids. Do you think giving your thoughts on whether or not the way of life for working children in the 1900's is acceptable or what you really think should happen to women who have abortions is going to make you look like more of an un-Christ like jerk than you already do? That is the only reason I can think of refusing to answer.

So here's an idea. Let the 50% who think it's a woman's choice...oh, I dunno...choose! And let the 50% who oppose it NOT HAVE ABORTIONS. Nothing is forcing anyone who doesn't believe in abortion to have one. Your side wants to force women to carry pregnancies they don't want to full term. I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend. If you don't agree with abortions, Do Not Have One.

This. I'm all for not imposing my beliefs on someone else. You have acknowledged that other people have different ideas about when life begins, but you want to force them into your interpretation. What makes you so fucking special that you get to decide what other people should believe?

Downsize welfare? In the current economic climate?

Realistically, could this actually happen? I don't live in the US, and where I live this would be laughed right out of court. It makes it hard to judge the gravity of the situation.

I appreciate the respectful discussion with most of you.

I feel spanked I tell you, spanked! I shall certainly think twice before I mock the next ignorant blinkered solipsist who wanders by, and no mistake.

There is so much need. Where are these private charities? Are they just so pissed off at the government that they are waiting in the wings like Batman or something?

Look around you. The government cannot do it all. Where are all these generous people that are going to support those single mothers you want to force to have babies? If they are inclined to help, why aren't they helping already?

The government is not stopping anyone from giving private charity. By all means, go forth and give generously. End poverty. Create a world so generous that no one needs to wait in line for four hours at the welfare office just to turn in a paper. When you have created that world, you can then in good faith support the end of government assistance. But not a moment before.

Seriously, whenever I hear this word, I immediately think BREWED WITH YAKIMA VALLEY HOPS

lol, branding

lmao. As any resident of The Palm Springs of Central Washington can tell you, we produce more than 90% of the country's hops. I actually toured the Barth hops processing plant with my organic chemistry class.

lmao. As any resident of The Palm Springs of Central Washington can tell you, we produce more than 90% of the country's hops. I actually toured the Barth hops processing plant with my organic chemistry class.

Hehe, awesome. I so did not know that.

I hope my boyfriend brings over some Rainier tonight so I can be a drunk welfare slut instead of a sober one.

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Abortion_-_History_of_abortion/id/4765473

Abortions have been going on for a really looooooong time.

I don't think anyone actually wants to have an abortion, but women should have the right to safe abortions. Do you really think outlawing abortion would stop women from having them? Read the above! I'd rather see someone go into a clean clinic, as opposed to throwing themselves down a flight of stairs or facing a rusty coat hanger.

Also, jericho, you are not adding to the conversation, just repeating your party line over and over and over. We get it. You hate abortion and think government should stay out of your life. Great, move to South Dakota with a shotgun- no one will bug you out there. It must be wonderful to be able to look down on others up there on your high horse; I hope a bee stings it in its rump.

This. I'm all for not imposing my beliefs on someone else. You have acknowledged that other people have different ideas about when life begins, but you want to force them into your interpretation. What makes you so fucking special that you get to decide what other people should believe?

She is a christian and right what other reason does she need?

Archived