IGNORED

Mississippi's 'Personhood' Law Could Outlaw Birth Control

Shoobydoo

It's the life in your uterus to be exact.

The important words in that sentence are 'in your.' Mine. Not yours. Fuck you.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going there. I just agree with outlawing it.

So should it be a misdemeanor? Felony? Just a civil case? Is it a crime?

Also, I ask again, you are new here. Have you read my story?

Oh, absolutely. In fact, off the top of my head, I can think of an example from my province.

There was the telephone company. It used to be run by the provincial government, and was called AGT. Then it was taken over by the private company, Telus. If you are familiar with Telus, you will recognize them for the wonderful reputation they, er, well...maybe that's not the best example.

Alright, then, let's move on to the US. Clearly you can see what an advantage it is to have your health care in the hands of private compan---er, maybe that's not the best example, either.

Okay, how about banks? Clearly it has been beneficial to have privatized banks, as they do in the States. Right? Oh...wait...you mean that didn't work out so well, either? Hmmm.

Perhaps we need to go think about this some more, jericho. :think:

Not familiar with the phone company, but I think AT&T is doing well without the government today. Heath care was messed up because of too much government involvement. No we have Obamacare which is ALL government. Let's see how well that does (if it stays a law). As for banks, two words...credit unions.

Again, the life that was in my uterus is much better off eating (because of food stamps and WIC), getting medical care (thanks to medicaid) and having a roof (thanks to subsidized housing). Jericho, you seem really concerned about children in the uterus and very unconcerned about children outside of it. "Let the poor people beg from churches and the Masons..." is not a viable social service policy.

So should it be a misdemeanor? Felony? Just a civil case? Is it a crime?

Also, I ask again, you are new here. Have you read my story?

treemom, I have not read your story. I would like to read it. Where can I read it?

The important words in that sentence are 'in your.' Mine. Not yours. Fuck you.

Does using four letter words get you lots of attention? How about pounding the floor with your fists and throwing a fit?

I'm not going there. I just agree with outlawing it.

But the point of outlawing something is to make it illegal. And when something is illegal there is a penalty for doing it. Woman up, jericho. What should be done to women who have abortions? Prison? The death penalty? Let's go.

ETA: LOL "four letter words". What a child.

Again, the life that was in my uterus is much better off eating (because of food stamps and WIC), getting medical care (thanks to medicaid) and having a roof (thanks to subsidized housing). Jericho, you seem really concerned about children in the uterus and very unconcerned about children outside of it. "Let the poor people beg from churches and the Masons..." is not a viable social service policy.

What makes you say I am not concerned about children who are born?

Oh it was people like Jericho who took the medical decisions for my newborn away from me.

But the point of outlawing something is to make it illegal. And when something is illegal there is a penalty for doing it. Woman up, jericho. What should be done to women who have abortions? Prison? The death penalty? Let's go.

ETA: LOL "four letter words". What a child.

Oh yeah, I'm the one who was acting childish.

Oh it was people like Jericho who took the medical decisions for my newborn away from me.

I am so, so sorry to hear that, treemom. :(

Your "let them eat cake" attitude about this entire issue, actually. You may tut-tut at your bible study or knitting circle about the great unwashed, but yeah, your attitude smacks of, "Oh, if only they had done things MY WAY, everything would be all right."

Obviously I am biased, being a welfare queen living in the projects and all. I'm glad not all people believe the same drivel as Jericho, cuz my kids would starve. Of course that would be no matter to her, because according to Republicans, once you are born you lose your right to food and shelter.

Treemom, I wish you would write a book. I used to have very different feelings about late term abortion. After you told me about your situation, I did a lot of reading and it really changed my beliefs. I think more people need to be aware of the actual stories behind the issues.

Oh yeah, I'm the one who was acting childish.

You ignored my question, jericho. What should be done to women who commit abortions? Come on. Put your money where your mouth is.

Does using four letter words get you lots of attention? How about pounding the floor with your fists and throwing a fit?

Fair question. Does sucking on a fetus's taint get you lots of attention?

It's not viable now because the government is still handing out free money. Get rid of Welfare and see how many private organizations step up and form to fill in the gap. Then the government saved billions of dollars that congress can waste away on frivolous things.

Because you want for those children to be dependent on private assistance that has been proven to be inadequate for their most basic needs. You want us to return to a time when my 4 year old daughter would work in a factory for an crust of bread in the evening and my baby would lay alone and crying in a shack while I went out to work. That was the reality of the poor before government social services.

How about the early 1900's? The problem is that the more the government gets involved in Welfare, the less private organizations get help. Also, people become more reliant on Welfare the bigger it grows. Why is it that since the 60's when Welfare was established in the United States, the country has only managed to create more poverty?

http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=28

According to the U.S. Census Bureau data released Tuesday September 13th, 2011, the nation's poverty rate rose to 15.1% in 2010, up from 14.3% (approximately 43.6 million) in 2009 and to its highest level since 1993.

Ha, this answer is hilarious. Oh yes, you would love the early 1900's! Tons of abortions, poor women and children working super long hours in rough conditions, illiteracy, tenements, little care at all for the elderly...yes, that was surely a grand time to live.

Just for the record - the most effective social programs that were implemented in the early 1900's were backed by the progressives. You know, the people the libertarian Christians love to hate. Just a few of the things they did (via the ebil government from 1910 to 1920: minimum wage laws; laws for 8 hour workdays; relief to farmers who were struggling badly (and were not being helped by their private local organizations); insurance for elderly and disabled people. All of these things were put in place to stop people from being so exploited by private organizations as they had been in the late 1800's - places that made young children work ridiculous hours in conditions that were dangerous to their long and short term health, immediately cast out people who were injured on the job without pay, exploited poor working women for extremely low pay..it goes on and on.

Incidentally, abortions were very common during this time period, and very dangerous. Without access to actual physicians (something you're advocating here) women had to turn to unreliable methods that often resulted in the death of the mother and child. And private orphanages were horrible places for the children who were born but unwanted; many died. I have an ancestor who died from a botched abortion in the very early 1900's - she already had something like 10 children, one almost every year, and the family could not support more. She was apparently desperate enough to risk her life to try to keep the family finances more stable; if she had been receiving aid from private charities I doubt she would have felt like she had to do that.

Get rid of Welfare and see how many private organizations step up and form to fill in the gap.

Amazing how the existence of welfare has not, in fact, stopped private organizations from existing and helping.

It's not viable now because the government is still handing out free money. Get rid of Welfare and see how many private organizations step up and form to fill in the gap. Then the government saved billions of dollars that congress can waste away on frivolous things.

We already did that, for several hundred years. And children starved. They slept in the cold, they never learned to read, they died of terrible diseases. Poor people lived such miserable lives, it is heartbreaking to even think about it.

You're level of maturity is getting really sad.

Your (frightening) level of callousness is getting me down, too, jericho.

Archived