IGNORED

Mississippi's 'Personhood' Law Could Outlaw Birth Control

Shoobydoo

Guest Anonymous
They do have competition. For instance, the government gives me $400 per month in food stamps, while the private charities will give me a paper sack of groceries once every two months. The government will rent me a subsidized apartment, while the church will let me sleep on their pews a few nights per week. The government will give me prenatal care while the local CPC will give me a little plastic doll the size of my fetus.

At first I was like :lol: and then I was like :( .

emmie, I respect the hell out of you. You're keeping your family going and anyone who begrudges tax money helping you and other people like you is a sanctimonious jackass.

Like any other reasonable, halfway decent person, I think that everyone deserves food, education, clothing, and a safe place to sleep. I truly think that the Jesus I read about in my Bible would recoil in horror from the likes of jericho.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look up what Romania was like during the Ceausescu regime. Abortion and birth control of all kinds were outlawed and in fact criminalized as part of the regime's pro-natalist policies. They had menstrual police; women under 40 were checked at their workplaces every month or two to detect pregnancy as early as possible and women who did not conceive often enough or quickly enough were questioned by government officials. Because the government knew about pregnancies early on, miscarriages were viewed with suspicion. Unmarried women over 25 and infertile couples were penalized by paying fines for not reproducing. Yet all of this didn't stop women from seeking abortions; they simply went to unlicensed, unsafe providers and thousands - perhaps tens of thousands - of women died during the 30 years that abortion and birth control were illegal in Romania. And we all know of the hundreds of thousands to millions of Romanian children placed in institutions because their parents didn't want them or couldn't care for them. Children and adults are still suffering in Romania today as a result of an abortion and contraceptive ban that ended 20 years ago!

I have friends who were born in the last 10-15 years of Ceauşescu's regime. Birth rates decreased drastically despite the 1966 Decree. Most are only children with a couple having one sibling. A lot of the children who were in the orphanages were turfed out at 18 with little to no education and few life skills. Orphanages weren't (and I suspect still are not) cheery, lovely places with cheeky, adventurous orphans. Children would be tied to beds, be left in cribs for hours without care, left in their own bodily fluids. Of course they had the perfect orphanages that were shown to the rest of the world and the ones Westerners adopted from... It was pretty bad and I know in Russia it's still pretty bad in some of the orphanages out there.

Jericho - I'd like to know what you think of my story. In a very basic way, I had an abortion to save my life. I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy and bled out as a result. I was minutes away from dying, according to the doctor that saved my life. In your opinion, should I have refused treatment and died rather than go through with the removal of the pregnancy? Been a "martyr for the cause"? I am interested in what you'd have to say with regards to your relpy.

Treemom and Emmyfair:

If I never said it before, I'm sorry for your pain. No one should go through that only to be second-guessed by the Amen Pew.

Abrazos,

Bella

Well, Jericho was here and gone, with no answers for anyone. Silence speaks louder than words, my dear...

At first I was like :lol: and then I was like :( .

emmie, I respect the hell out of you. You're keeping your family going and anyone who begrudges tax money helping you and other people like you is a sanctimonious jackass.

Like any other reasonable, halfway decent person, I think that everyone deserves food, education, clothing, and a safe place to sleep. I truly think that the Jesus I read about in my Bible would recoil in horror from the likes of jericho.

I totally agree with this post.

I don't think Jericho is going to answer my questions about his/her thoughts on the death penalty, or why people who say they're for smaller government throw that idea out the window when it comes to women's bodies. I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! :shock:

Maul the Koala, which provinces don't cover abortion?

New Brunswick doesn't provide any money for funding and Nova Scotia provides very limited funding. Prince Edward Island has no abortion clinics whatsoever and neither does Nunavut. Quebec and Manitoba used to not fund or partially fund abortions performed in private clinics but now fully pay for them.

Apparently it's a big problem in NB, NS and PEI if a woman has to go out of province for an abortion because not all provinces will accept out of province patients.

I don't think Jericho is going to answer my questions about his/her thoughts on the death penalty, or why people who say they're for smaller government throw that idea out the window when it comes to women's bodies. I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! :shock:

In honor of Claude Rains' birthday:

6012700112_4b960cdfc4.jpg

There are private clinics in those provinces, so you can pay for an abortion here.

Dr Morgentaler, the man who owns/runs the clinics has been fighting the provincial governments constantly over the issue. He is fighting for the rights of women to have access/public funding, but because he is not a woman himself he can't win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morgentaler

I think Jericho flounced rather than answer the questions that will show his true callous nature.

This is a tricky subject with lots of nuances. Of course Jericho flounced. Once you move past "But the babeez!!!" into the realities of the subject, there is no refutation.

or maybe Jericho could not recall what Sean Hannity said next.

There are private clinics in those provinces, so you can pay for an abortion here.

Dr Morgentaler, the man who owns/runs the clinics has been fighting the provincial governments constantly over the issue. He is fighting for the rights of women to have access/public funding, but because he is not a woman himself he can't win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morgentaler

Can't they get one at a hospital? They do them at hospitals here in Alberta.

What harm is an abortion going to do to society? Seriously.

Now I might sound cynical, but if so, then I guess I am. I think an "unwanted" child will do more harm to the society, especially in U.S. Your poverty rate is high (for an I-country). I think Americans should care about the people they have already, and not obsess over potential people.

Okay you want me to answer a certain "tough" question. Here we go.

Q. What, in your opinion, would be the apt punishment for a woman who has an abortion and what punishment would her medical provider receive?

A. I know this is the question that abortion rights people use to try and trap up pro-lifers, but the answer must be one of tough love. I believe the woman and the doctor should be held to the same laws as murder. If not then the whole argument for life is invalid. When the woman in Texas drowned her five children several years ago, I could not justify what she did because she had some rough times at home. The same must be said of abortion if it were illegal. You can say I don't care about the woman who have abortions, but that is simply not true. I am all for helping them as much as possible. I financially support an organization that helps women who both have had and have not had abortions. This thread has strayed off into a debate about big government. Don't let that make you think that I don't care about helping women. My beef with big government programs is that most are not efficient. They waste tax dollars with no regard to where they came from or how well they are being used. This does not mean I don't support helping women in crisis pregnancy situations. These are two totally different issues.

How does your CPC support women? Since you are against abortion *and* government assistance, I am assuming that you are willing to pay their rent and all of their living/medical expenses throughout the pregnancy and postpartum period, plus provide free childcare for at least five years. That is the level of support that most women considering an abortion for financial reasons would need.

The only way to morally justify your positions is to offer this level of services to every single woman who walks in your doors. Are you doing that?

Okay you want me to answer a certain "tough" question. Here we go.

Q. What, in your opinion, would be the apt punishment for a woman who has an abortion and what punishment would her medical provider receive?

A. I know this is the question that abortion rights people use to try and trap up pro-lifers, but the answer must be one of tough love. I believe the woman and the doctor should be held to the same laws as murder. If not then the whole argument for life is invalid. When the woman in Texas drowned her five children several years ago, I could not justify what she did because she had some rough times at home. The same must be said of abortion if it were illegal. You can say I don't care about the woman who have abortions, but that is simply not true. I am all for helping them as much as possible. I financially support an organization that helps women who both have had and have not had abortions. This thread has strayed off into a debate about big government. Don't let that make you think that I don't care about helping women. My beef with big government programs is that most are not efficient. They waste tax dollars with no regard to where they came from or how well they are being used. This does not mean I don't support helping women in crisis pregnancy situations. These are two totally different issues.

So Jericho, what about me? You are saying that ending a 'life' within the womb with little to no pain. A life that have no chance of surviving more than a few days and that is WITH intubation. And I know that factually because I saw her after I delivered her. A decision I made because I was not legally allowed to sign a DNR before she was born and stabilized?

You are equating that to drowning my 11 year old?

And you think I should face murder charges for that?

Don't speak in abstracts...speak to my situation. And tell me that is the same as murder. Tell me I violated some sacred, sanctity of life. Tell me that what I did wasn't the right thing. At least have the balls to do that. Be honest about what you really seek.

Jericho, are we talking the death sentence for women who have had abortions?

'Cause then....who's looking after the child you forced her to have? Are you looking after it?

ETA: And what about her other children? You're taking them all in, yeah?

Archived