IGNORED

Trace and Lydia 4: Deportation Watch

Coconut Flan

On 1/27/2024 at 4:50 AM, Cupcake79 said:

Do you think that Lydia will start to speak German to Ryker? They keep saying that she will, but she hasn’t done that yet, except for singing German lullabies. I live in an area where it’s fairly common with families where one parent speaks one language and the other parent another, but usually they speak their own language with the child from start. And the child turns bilingual. I somehow doubt that Lydia will switch to German. Ryker does hear German at Lydia’s parents house, so he will probably understand the language, but will he speak it?

We don't actually know she is not speaking German to him all the time. There is more going on in a day that what is captured in an occasional video.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

We don't actually know she is not speaking German to him all the time. There is more going on in a day that what is captured in an occasional video.

Also, I think it’s a lot harder to do when you’re the parent with the “second” language. I have friends where he is German and she’s Chinese (but fluent in German). They live in Germany and he does not speak any Chinese. So the kids hear their parents speak German, grow up immersed in German language in everyday life, at school, with friends etc… It’s tough for the Chinese mom to consistently introduce Chinese in that setting and not speak German with her kids too. 

I imagine it’s similar for Lydia. They are completely immersed in US culture and English language, she’s completely fluent and probably hasn’t spoken German in years herself (except with her parents). Only speaking German with Ryker will be tough and I wouldn’t shame her if she doesn’t follow through 100%. Is it good for kids to grow up bilingual? Yes. Is it easier said than done? Also yes.

Edited by GreenBeans
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, GreenBeans said:

Also, I think it’s a lot harder to do when you’re the parent with the “second” language. I have friends where he is German and she’s Chinese (but fluent in German). They live in Germany and he does not speak any Chinese. So the kids hear their parents speak German, grow up immersed in German language in everyday life, at school, with friends etc… It’s tough for the Chinese mom to consistently introduce Chinese in that setting and not speak German with her kids too. 

I imagine it’s similar for Lydia. They are completely immersed in US culture and English language, she’s completely fluent and probably hasn’t spoken German in years herself (except with her parents). Only speaking German with Ryker will be tough and I wouldn’t shame her if she doesn’t follow through 100%. Is it good for kids to grow up bilingual? Yes. Is it easier said than done? Also yes.

i do not find this to be true in my experience at all. if she makes a concerted effort to speak to the kiddo in her native language almost exclusively, he will pick it up easily. honestly, so families do this and it's not difficult at all. if she no longer has a master of the german language, that's much different. 

• Upvote 3

I just looked at their YouTube channel. Who the heck are their 65,000 subscribers?  They have videos with 300,000 views! Their current video starts out with KJ with those stupid heatless curlers in her hair freaking out over the wind.

I know people think Jrod and family are worthless grifters, but at least they try to sing for their supper and print their stupid tracts. There is not a single Bates doing anything but social media grifting. Carlin and Whitney even have other people running their store. All they do is poorly model cheap clothes and promote the website. Gil taught them well.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I know people think Jrod and family are worthless grifters, but at least they try to sing for their supper and print their stupid tracts. There is not a single Bates doing anything but social media grifting. Carlin and Whitney even have other people running their store. All they do is poorly model cheap clothes and promote the website. Gil taught them well.

I believe this is true about Trace/Lydia, Lawson/Tiffany, Katie/Travis. Whitney/Zach and Carlin/Evan seem to have built a successful business based on social media, but I still think they’re hands on. Zach is also now trying his hand at real estate. Nathan must be doing actual work besides MedicCorp and he and Esther don’t have much of an online presence. Jackson/Emerson seem to have jobs. I don’t know what Michael/Brandon do for actual income. John Webster has a job. Bobby Smith has a job. It seems like Chad Paine works. Kelton runs a seemingly successful business. Josie’s business is social media based, but she also does wedding hair/makeup on occasion. Whitney, Erin, Alyssa and Tori are all homeschooling elementary school aged kids.

While many of the Bates Gen 3 kids need to perform on video as part of the income stream (not including the Smith kids or Kenna), the Rod kids have to perform on video and are also hauled around to churches as singing waifs. The Rod kids are a lot worse off than the Bates Gen 3 financially, education-wise, etc. 

• Upvote 5

Slight thread drift; I was reading an article today about George Clooney and his family.  They apparently live mostly in Italy, and his twins are fluent in Italian  but neither George or his wife speak or understand Italian so they have no idea what their kids are calling them.

• Haha 14

This week's video.. Trace and Jeb celebrate their birthdays together. They let Jeb pick the plans so they did lunch at Texas Roadhouse and bowling and then a sleepover. Trace lets Jeb pick a Lego set at the store and says how he (Trace) has never built a Lego set in his whole life. He says Legos are Jeb's favorite thing and he is glad to be able to do it with him. I think it's nice they have a special birthday bond (even though they have terrible beliefs). Lydia said she loved building the Legos bc she likes puzzles. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Does Lydia know enough German to teach him? I thought she said she has forgotten a lot of it. If anyone is speaking German fluently to him, it's probably Lydia's parents.

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 2

On 2/3/2024 at 1:33 PM, JDuggs said:

I believe this is true about Trace/Lydia, Lawson/Tiffany, Katie/Travis. Whitney/Zach and Carlin/Evan seem to have built a successful business based on social media, but I still think they’re hands on. Zach is also now trying his hand at real estate. Nathan must be doing actual work besides MedicCorp and he and Esther don’t have much of an online presence. Jackson/Emerson seem to have jobs. I don’t know what Michael/Brandon do for actual income. John Webster has a job. Bobby Smith has a job. It seems like Chad Paine works. Kelton runs a seemingly successful business. Josie’s business is social media based, but she also does wedding hair/makeup on occasion. Whitney, Erin, Alyssa and Tori are all homeschooling elementary school aged kids.

While many of the Bates Gen 3 kids need to perform on video as part of the income stream (not including the Smith kids or Kenna), the Rod kids have to perform on video and are also hauled around to churches as singing waifs. The Rod kids are a lot worse off than the Bates Gen 3 financially, education-wise, etc. 

Whitney, Erin and Alyssa are all doing monetized videos, aka grifting. In fact, the last video on Erin's channel is all Chad and not Erin.

Here is the birthday video if you want to watch:

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:43 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

There is not a single Bates doing anything but social media grifting. 

I realize that most of the Bates kids and their spouses are social media influencers, but it’s just not true that it’s all they do.

• Upvote 3

On 2/3/2024 at 12:43 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

There is not a single Bates doing anything but social media grifting.

I know she has horrible beliefs, but it bothers me that we dismiss Michael(a)'s sewing business as "nothing" because its traditional female work. As far as I can tell, she produces a quality product and is probably undercharging for it.

• Upvote 13

59 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I know she has horrible beliefs, but it bothers me that we dismiss Michael(a)'s sewing business as "nothing" because its traditional female work. As far as I can tell, she produces a quality product and is probably undercharging for it.

I actually do not know what she is doing- what is it?

• Upvote 1

Michael? She saws baby blankets and other stuff. Her website is Keilen Corner or something like that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

35 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Michael? She saws baby blankets and other stuff. Her website is Keilen Corner or something like that.

Oh let me go look. I vaguely remember this.

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2024 at 2:02 AM, SoSoNosy said:

Slight thread drift; I was reading an article today about George Clooney and his family.  They apparently live mostly in Italy, and his twins are fluent in Italian  but neither George or his wife speak or understand Italian so they have no idea what their kids are calling them.

I've had this with colleagues from different countries here in the Netherlands. I've had them call me to ask what their kids were saying. But most of them did learn it after a few while.

• Upvote 4

On 2/3/2024 at 11:43 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

There is not a single Bates doing anything but social media grifting. Carlin and Whitney even have other people running their store. All they do is poorly model cheap clothes and promote the website. Gil taught them well.

I find it the social media grifting annoying but at the same time I realize we are talking about people who don't know any other way because it's what their parents taught them.   Their Dad was not a good example of working a job and sticking with it.  Quite the contrary he utterly failed at providing for his family, bragged about it, was lucky enough to sucker a couple of TV networks into featuring his grifting nonsense.  Talk about a lesson to teach your kids. 

And unfortunately the Bates kids have minimal education to pursue anything else also courtesy of their parents.  Yes, some of them attended Crown (and I guess that's better than being graduated from homeschool at 16 because Mom couldn't do it anymore) but still it's not education that prepares them for the real world as most of us know it.   IIRC only Michael has gotten something that looks like real education but I haven't heard anything more come of it.

18 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I realize that most of the Bates kids and their spouses are social media influencers, but it’s just not true that it’s all they do.

It's good that there are some real jobs in the mix but notice that it's namely spouses who were not raised as a Bates under the Headship of Gils Grifting Nonsense.    At least, provided they all stick with it, it will serve as a financial offset whenever the grifting ends which it will.  SM is not something that one can depend on to do forever.  

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I find it the social media grifting annoying but at the same time I realize we are talking about people who don't know any other way because it's what their parents taught them.   Their Dad was not a good example of working a job and sticking with it.  Quite the contrary he utterly failed at providing for his family, bragged about it, was lucky enough to sucker a couple of TV networks into featuring his grifting nonsense.  Talk about a lesson to teach your kids. 

That is exactly my point. You get me!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

The thing is, the path of social media influencer seems to be very successful for all the Bates kids involved. Being from an older generation, the whole influencer/youTuber careers are somewhat befuddling to me. if we’re to call all influencers “grifters”, we’re talking about a lot of people besides Christian fundies. The Bates family seems to have made a good transition from reality TV to social media. It makes sense: built in audience, photogenic, somewhat engaging personalities. Why wouldn’t they capitalize on this? 

They all live in nice homes and take endless vacations. They are providing for their families in a way that they didn’t have when they were children. I’m not going to feel bad for them if their influencer careers don’t last forever, but I can also see why they want to keep riding the gravy train while they can. If the older Bates kids wanted to pursue more education, they could that. No one is stopping them. But there are a whole lot of people in this country, not just fundies, who think college is a waste of time and money.

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

The Bates family seems to have made a good transition from reality TV to social media. It makes sense: built in audience, photogenic, somewhat engaging personalities. Why wouldn’t they capitalize on this? 

I can see your points how they could easily make the transition to SM.   And I get that they want to ride the wave but it's not something I see as viable long term.   Anything like changes in technology, other influencers coming onto the scene, just sheer ability to generate content may change in the future, life happens, stuff like that.   Nothing there is guaranteed which is why I think having real jobs will serve as a good backup eventually,

It's good they can make a better life for themselves, but given some of the conditions they were living in while young, I have to say if even if they achieved less, it would be an improvement.  I just hope it continues for them. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JDuggs said:

The thing is, the path of social media influencer seems to be very successful for all the Bates kids involved. Being from an older generation, the whole influencer/youTuber careers are somewhat befuddling to me. if we’re to call all influencers “grifters”, we’re talking about a lot of people besides Christian fundies. The Bates family seems to have made a good transition from reality TV to social media. It makes sense: built in audience, photogenic, somewhat engaging personalities. Why wouldn’t they capitalize on this? 

They all live in nice homes and take endless vacations. They are providing for their families in a way that they didn’t have when they were children. I’m not going to feel bad for them if their influencer careers don’t last forever, but I can also see why they want to keep riding the gravy train while they can. If the older Bates kids wanted to pursue more education, they could that. No one is stopping them. But there are a whole lot of people in this country, not just fundies, who think college is a waste of time and money.

Yep, there is a lot of grifting with influencers. But not every influencer was brought up to grift like the Bates and not every influencer is peddling dangerous right wing, fundamentalist orthodoxy in a pretty package.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I can see your points how they could easily make the transition to SM.   And I get that they want to ride the wave but it's not something I see as viable long term.   Anything like changes in technology, other influencers coming onto the scene, just sheer ability to generate content may change in the future, life happens, stuff like that.   Nothing there is guaranteed which is why I think having real jobs will serve as a good backup eventually,

It's good they can make a better life for themselves, but given some of the conditions they were living in while young, I have to say if even if they achieved less, it would be an improvement.  I just hope it continues for them. 

It's just like for them it was a perfect storm. They grew up with the TV show so were somewhat media savvy, and the social media phenomenon of an "influencer" being an actual job and the monetization of simply being incredibly good looking has worked to there advantage. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 2/3/2024 at 8:02 PM, SoSoNosy said:

Seriously? She’s an international attorney. He memorizes lines for a living and he’s owned that house in Italy for decades. There’s no way that they haven’t picked up some Italian. I’d believe that the kids have picked up some snarky slang that they don’t understand, though.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Seriously? She’s an international attorney. He memorizes lines for a living and he’s owned that house in Italy for decades. There’s no way that they haven’t picked up some Italian. I’d believe that the kids have picked up some snarky slang that they don’t understand, though.

Here's an article (one of many) about it, with the relevant quote here:

Spoiler

He talked to Jimmy Kimmel about a parenting mistake he and Amal made with their little ones. “We did a really dumb thing, which is, they speak fluent Italian,” Clooney said. “I mean fluent Italian at three. But I don’t speak Italian, my wife doesn’t speak Italian, so we’ve armed them with a language.

“I’ll say, ‘Go back in and clean your room,’ and they'll be like, ‘Eh, papa stranzo,’” he continued, while using an Italian accent. “I’m from Kentucky; English is a second language to me.”

• Haha 4

On 2/5/2024 at 12:42 PM, nokidsmom said:

. . . .

And unfortunately the Bates kids have minimal education to pursue anything else also courtesy of their parents.  Yes, some of them attended Crown (and I guess that's better than being graduated from homeschool at 16 because Mom couldn't do it anymore) but still it's not education that prepares them for the real world as most of us know it.   IIRC only Michael has gotten something that looks like real education but I haven't heard anything more come of it.

. . . .

Carlin has an accredited degree (from Liberty).

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 1/29/2024 at 10:58 PM, Expectopatronus said:

A huge desensitization process needs to be facilitated and supported by an OT, psych etc with the knowledge that it will take months to build up tolerance of a single food.

I'm a pretty adventurous eater and I HATED non-sauced tomatoes for the first probably 25 years of my life.  It was definitely compounded by the time my parents thought serving us stewed tomatoes for dinner was a good idea and basically starved me until I ate it.  (My mother specifically told me it was one of her biggest parenting regrets and highly recommend I never force my daughter to eat anything.)  I decided I was tired of having a food I wouldn't eat that was so common and spend about a year "training" myself to tolerate tomatoes.  After that I developed an actual liking for them over time and they're now something I look forward to every summer, although I only eat locally grown ones.  I did something like this with bell peppers but I don't especially like them, I just eat them.  No idea why I felt compelled to do this.  There are other foods I don't like but it's pretty unlikely anyone is going to try to feed them to me as they're less common ingredients.

• Upvote 4