IGNORED

Trace and Lydia 4: Deportation Watch

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I'm a pretty adventurous eater and I HATED non-sauced tomatoes for the first probably 25 years of my life.  It was definitely compounded by the time my parents thought serving us stewed tomatoes for dinner was a good idea and basically starved me until I ate it.  (My mother specifically told me it was one of her biggest parenting regrets and highly recommend I never force my daughter to eat anything.)  I decided I was tired of having a food I wouldn't eat that was so common and spend about a year "training" myself to tolerate tomatoes.  After that I developed an actual liking for them over time and they're now something I look forward to every summer, although I only eat locally grown ones.  I did something like this with bell peppers but I don't especially like them, I just eat them.  No idea why I felt compelled to do this.  There are other foods I don't like but it's pretty unlikely anyone is going to try to feed them to me as they're less common ingredients.

Home grown tomatoes picked from your vines, or, alternatively, purchased at your farmer’s market from the vendor who just picked them from their vines, taste nothing like those sorry excuses for tomatoes in the huge grocery stores that were picked green several days ago from vines bred to produce a crop that can w/stand shipping w/ no importance placed on flavor.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, sndral said:

Home grown tomatoes picked from your vines, or, alternatively, purchased at your farmer’s market from the vendor who just picked them from their vines, taste nothing like those sorry excuses for tomatoes in the huge grocery stores that were picked green several days ago from vines bred to produce a crop that can w/stand shipping w/ no importance placed on flavor.

Totally agree.   I garden and my main "crop" is tomatoes, as I do canning / freezing in addition to fresh eating.   Like 99%of my tomato consumption now is from the garden in season, I hardly ever buy tomatoes at the grocery store and that's only if they are out of season and I absolutely need them for what I am making.

And one thing that is fun is to try different varieties of tomatoes, not just the standard red ones.   Grew really huge Lemon Boys years ago.   

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Poring over the seed catalogs looking at the tomato varieties is one of my favorite winter activities.  I haven't had a garden since 2020 since my daughter is a major time-suck, but we're going to plant a small one with her this year.  Just beans, peas, cucamelons, summer squash, and radishes.  All things I feel are fun, fast growing, and pretty to look at so she has a good introduction.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Ryker is eating solid food

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Ryker is eating solid food

Michael's dress looks sweaty and uncomfortable.

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2024 at 9:27 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I decided I was tired of having a food I wouldn't eat that was so common and spend about a year "training" myself to tolerate tomatoes.  After that I developed an actual liking for them over time

I did that with balsamic vinegar and mozzarella and actually like them both now!

Still can’t eat olives and sliced cheese (I’m fine with plain cream cheese and baked cheese, but uncooked cheese on a sandwich, yuck!). I’m a really adventurous eater and eat pretty much everything and anything, have no allergies, am neither vegetarian nor gluten free, love trying out food from different countries - but olives and cheese, I just can’t keep down. I do try again every once in a while, on the off chance my taste might have changed, but so far it hasn’t. Luckily, those two foods are pretty easy to avoid!

• Upvote 6

I trained myself to like Perrier because I have no alcohol tolerance and I needed an alternative for dinners with my dad’s side of the family. I’m now mildly addicted to fizzy water. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

I Love You Day video is up. They go as Charles and Caroline (which Trace forgets, and then pronounces “Carolyn”) Ingalls. God forbid Ryker wear a girl’s costume, so he goes as Jack the dog. Trace isn’t shaving his beard even though Charles is clean-shaven.

Best part of the video - their cat gets hold of Trace’s wig and won’t let go. 

Footage of the party. Lots of plaid shirts and suspenders. Kids all over the place. I give up trying to recognize kids. Brief shot of very pregnant Tori. We learn Michael sewed 7-8 of the dresses and Nathan flew down to pick up Mama Jane and Papa Bill. 

I’m confused by their costume competition, but it looks like Trace/Lydia and Evan/Carlin both win second place in the family presentation. and Chad/Erin and family win first. Lawson, as the doctor, wins first in the individual competition. Then most of them change into regular clothes and compete in strange games while the rest of the audience yells encouragement. They don’t show the kids playing games. Are there separate games for the kids, are they just sent off to play together, or are the kids expected to watch the adults compete? Gil presents the Heart Award to Michael, but only after a long speech in which he says Kelly should really win the Heart Award. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

34 minutes ago, postscript said:

I Love You Day video is up. They go as Charles and Caroline (which Trace forgets, and then pronounces “Carolyn”) Ingalls. God forbid Ryker wear a girl’s costume, so he goes as Jack the dog. Trace isn’t shaving his beard even though Charles is clean-shaven.

Footage of the party. Lots of plaid shirts and suspenders. Kids all over the place. I give up trying to recognize kids. Brief shot of very pregnant Tori. We learn Michael sewed 7-8 of the dresses and Nathan flew down to pick up Mama Jane and Papa Bill. 

I’m confused by their costume competition, but it looks like Trace/Lydia and Evan/Carlin both win second place in the family presentation. and Chad/Erin and family win first. Lawson, as the doctor, wins first in the individual competition. Then most of them change into regular clothes and compete in strange games while the rest of the audience yells encouragement. They don’t show the kids playing games. Are there separate games for the kids, are they just sent off to play together, or are the kids expected to watch the adults compete? Gil presents the Heart Award to Michael, but only after a long speech in which he says Kelly should really win the Heart Award. 

Maui is my favorite Bates. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

15 hours ago, postscript said:

He also texted a photo of Michael Landon in similar clothing - television Pa Ingalls didn't wear cowboy boots - to each person there to show how good his costume was in relation. Lydia said she looked haunted in her costume (she meant possessed?) and I'd have to agree. There was something weird about her expressions and eyes. When she smiled she was fine but otherwise it was sort of scary.

The couples night is getting a bit redundant. There are more couples than singles. Why don't they just call it leave you kids at home with your little sisters night?

Chad and Erin posted the award announcements - Trace and Lydia won second? top score for presentation and third place for group costume. I think Trace also got second for single costume - Lawson announced it as TW Bates and I can't think of another Bates with those initials since he is Trace Whitfield. 

Erin also explained more about Papa Bill. His dementia symptoms have worsened. He is now confused and agitated when he is away from home for too long so they weren't planning to come to the party. Nathan flew to SC and picked them up and took them back the same day. That was rather nice of Nathan to do that. You can really tell Papa Bill is not doing well in Erin's video. He doesn't say much at all and stays put in a recliner. Kelly and Gil give Jane a framed picture from Thanksgiving. She comments how much she loves the picture and tries to show it to him but he is sort of staring around and not focusing. He is still smiling but clearly struggling. She seems a little slower physically but recognizes the children and is able to interact and communicate.

It looks like many of the games were played by both the adults and kids. 

Gil and Kelly really know how to tear Michaela down. It is the epitome of a back handed compliment to her. "Glad to see you. Can you do a chore for me?" or "I wish I could say I am glad to see you but I should be someplace else." or now "Here's this award but someone else should have won it." Michaela clearly isn't an overthinker like me because I would have noticed and called them out years ago. 

P.S. I have to note that they used to rent giant cabins and have these parties at the church, etc. when they still had a show. They were even catered a few times and there was a hired photographer (Taryn). They claimed it was because there were so many kids, spouses, and grandkids that it was too crowded to have it at the house. Now that the show money isn't rolling in again, it is back to the house. 

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

14 hours ago, postscript said:

I Love You Day video is up. They go as Charles and Caroline (which Trace forgets, and then pronounces “Carolyn”) Ingalls. Trace isn’t shaving his beard even though Charles is clean-shaven. 

Forgive me. I didn't watch the video. Was the I love you day based solely on the television show?

Cause Charles Ingalls had a beard. The actor who portrayed him on television, Michael Landon was clean shaven. In one of the books, the Long Winter, Charles participates in a minstrel show and Caroline is horrified when someone suggests Charles had shaved his beard. Laura mentions his beard in other books too, but that one instance really stuck with me.

There are several pictures online:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ingalls

I guess my point is whoever did the research on Charles being clean shaven didn't look too hard. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

3 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Erin also explained more about Papa Bill. His dementia symptoms have worsened. He is now confused and agitated when he is away from home for too long so they weren't planning to come to the party. Nathan flew to SC and picked them up and took them back the same day. That was rather nice of Nathan to do that. You can really tell Papa Bill is not doing well in Erin's video. He doesn't say much at all and stays put in a recliner. Kelly and Gil give Jane a framed picture from Thanksgiving. She comments how much she loves the picture and tries to show it to him but he is sort of staring around and not focusing. He is still smiling but clearly struggling. She seems a little slower physically but interacts with the children well and is able to interact and communicate.

Yes, Erin’s video showed a different perspective and explained certain things better. Good to see the kids participating in the games without competing against the adults. 

Neither Papa Bill nor Mama Jane looked good to me, but at least Mama Jane is mentally there. Erin said something about not knowing how many more times she’ll see them and I found myself thinking this might well be the last time they’re able to be with family. It was good of Nathan to fly them there and back. That can’t have been easy. 

3 minutes ago, Fundyrunner said:

Forgive me. I didn't watch the video. Was the I love you day based solely on the television show?

Apparently yes. Trace compared himself to photos of Michael Landon. Everyone else chose characters from the TV show. 

• Upvote 3

There weren’t that many families to choose from when it comes to LHOTP. They had so many episodes where they focused on a brand new character or family. And then we would never see them again. The mainstays were the Ingalls family, the Oleson family, then a bunch of single people like the teacher, Dr, and Mr Edwards. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Fundyrunner said:

Cause Charles Ingalls had a beard. The actor who portrayed him on television, Michael Landon was clean shaven. In one of the books, the Long Winter, Charles participates in a minstrel show and Caroline is horrified when someone suggests Charles had shaved his beard. Laura mentions his beard in other books too, but that one instance really stuck with me.

There are several pictures online:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ingalls

I guess my point is whoever did the research on Charles being clean shaven didn't look too hard. 

Per their social media and videos, I don't think they all realize these were real people in many cases. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Per their social media and videos, I don't think they all realize these were real people in many cases. 

I don't think they even realized that it was a book series! I think Little House on the Prairie was one of the few TV shows the Bates let their kids watch (that and Perry Mason/The Dick Van Dyke Show). I doubt any of them, except for maybe Kelly, have read the books.

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, indianabones said:

I don't think they even realized that it was a book series! I think Little House on the Prairie was one of the few TV shows the Bates let their kids watch (that and Perry Mason/The Dick Van Dyke Show). I doubt any of them, except for maybe Kelly, have read the books.

That is incredibly sad to me. I doubt they were ever allowed to watch all of the episodes of Little House on the Prairie. When you get down to it many of the characters were problematic and simply tropes of the Wild West that were Michael Landon's bread and butter. I can think of at least 20 episodes that would not be Gil approved. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, indianabones said:

I'm surprised they didn't let them watch "The Waltons".  Then again, Jim Bob went a little rogue in the final seasons (drinking, arrested for vandalism, getting a tattoo, worried about getting a one-night stand pregnant) so that might not have passed muster.   

• Upvote 2

On 2/17/2024 at 7:56 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maui is my favorite Bates. 

Maui with the wig is the best thing yet on any Bates channel.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

There's an annotated Laura Ingalls Wilder autobiography that's really amazing:

https://pioneergirlproject.org/order/order-pioneer-girl-the-annotated-autobiography/

Her real life was much crazier than the fictionalized books would have you know.

Yes, I have fallen down rabbit holes of discovery with comparing her youth oriented books with the the once unpublished manuscript (thankfully published now). It seems to me that the Bateses miss the point of some of the history of that period and the Ingalls family. They were far from quiverful, debt-free, or sticklers for gender roles. 

48 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

I'm surprised they didn't let them watch "The Waltons".  Then again, Jim Bob went a little rogue in the final seasons (drinking, arrested for vandalism, getting a tattoo, worried about getting a one-night stand pregnant) so that might not have passed muster.   

I know there was mention that they were shown the Andy Griffith Show. That one is also a bit suspect for the Bateses. Otis was one of the few married characters and he was a drunk. There was dating and kissing going on all over the place. 

The Bateses had an interpretation of serialized television that seems quite interesting and off kilter. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

https://pioneergirlproject.org/order/order-pioneer-girl-the-annotated-autobiography/

Her real life was much crazier than the fictionalized books would have you know.

We’ve had at least one long thread drift on Prairie Fires. Try searching for it on FJ.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

18 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser is a fantastic book that sets the Ingalls story on the back drop of American history. Their story is not as portrayed on TV or in Laura's books. Many of their moves were necessitated by poor choices made by Pa, not because of some romantic pioneering notion. It's very good. It also spends a lot of time telling Rose's story and I do not like her very much now. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 2/7/2024 at 3:56 PM, nokidsmom said:

Totally agree.   I garden and my main "crop" is tomatoes, as I do canning / freezing in addition to fresh eating.   Like 99%of my tomato consumption now is from the garden in season, I hardly ever buy tomatoes at the grocery store and that's only if they are out of season and I absolutely need them for what I am making.

And one thing that is fun is to try different varieties of tomatoes, not just the standard red ones.   Grew really huge Lemon Boys years ago.   

A lady at work last year grew a tomato called Bumblebee, a lovely large yellow cherry tomato with red stripes.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sk8ter said:

Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser is a fantastic book that sets the Ingalls story on the back drop of American history. Their story is not as portrayed on TV or in Laura's books. Many of their moves were necessitated by poor choices made by Pa, not because of some romantic pioneering notion. It's very good. It also spends a lot of time telling Rose's story and I do not like her very much now. 

Pa was pretty much a self-centered prick, so at least that part tracks for the fundies. And Rose was a serious pill.

• Upvote 6