IGNORED

Trace and Lydia 4: Deportation Watch

Coconut Flan

23 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Here in Germany, everything is dubbed, but I much prefer the original versions, because so much gets lost in translation.

It is so funny to me, when I try and watch english shows that I know, but in German. Like, Cartman sounds so weird in German, or Inspector Morse.

The worst is, or was, in Poland. All dubbed, but just by one man, with a really flat affect. My great aunt used to be addicted to the Bold and the Beautiful, so I’d watch it with her in the afternoons. Some really passionate scene, with just one bored sounding man doing all the voices, but you could hear the American voices in the background, getting really into it, haha.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 22

2 hours ago, Zebedee said:

It is so funny to me, when I try and watch english shows that I know, but in German. Like, Cartman sounds so weird in German, or Inspector Morse.

The worst is, or was, in Poland. All dubbed, but just by one man, with a really flat affect. My great aunt used to be addicted to the Bold and the Beautiful, so I’d watch it with her in the afternoons. Some really passionate scene, with just one bored sounding man doing all the voices, but you could hear the American voices in the background, getting really into it, haha.

Netflix has a lot of dubbed shows. I refuse to watch some of them. I will start watching and there’s some guy with the weirdest voice I’ve ever heard dubbing for a semi regular character. I’m like nope! I’m not listening to a guy who sounds like fucking Cookie Monster. Click.

• Haha 6

I don’t mind the dubbing per se but it feels as if the quality has gone downhill a lot. Even with non-dubbed tv productions. The tv movies are basically un-watchable. It’s crazy. I watched Der Schwarm (the swarm) and the German actors sounded completely off in their native tongue. As if that were over-acting. I had to watch it in English because they sounded so much better and realistic when they spoke English. I love that there are more and more productions with casts from different countries and where we get to hear several languages with subtitles and the real accents. I have actually watched a Korean drama and the Swedish/Norwegian original of The Bridge. With subtitles of course. 
I do hate the Hollywood remakes of popular content. As if it’s too hard to watch the original. I wouldn’t mind if it was dubbed in English but it’s not to much to ask that the viewer watches a story set in a different country? Seeing different ways of life? The Bridge or the Stieg Larsson trilogy are just two examples.

• Upvote 6

I was on a cruise recently and when we were near Italy there was an episode of “The Dukes of Hazzard” dubbed in Italian! It actually works really well in Italian. Boss Hogg seems like a mob boss. There’s a lot of yelling and gesturing and pizza. He was even wearing a red-and-white checkered bib.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

On 11/6/2023 at 8:37 PM, Zebedee said:

but I swear Germans have 15 ways just to say “hi”

I think that’s the same in all languages, you just don’t realize when it’s your own language, because you don’t even think about it.

For example, in English it could be “Hi”, “Hello”, “How are you (today)”, “What’s up”, “Good morning”, “Good to see you”… Those colloquial every day expressions can really be confusing for someone just starting to learn the language. Often they’re regional/local and not in the text book conversation you practiced, and just when you finally work up the courage to actually start talking in that foreign-to-you language, a native replies with something unexpected and you’re back to square one. 😂

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Netflix has a lot of dubbed shows. I refuse to watch some of them. I will start watching and there’s some guy with the weirdest voice I’ve ever heard dubbing for a semi regular character. I’m like nope! I’m not listening to a guy who sounds like fucking Cookie Monster. Click.

For me at least Netflix will default to dubbing for shows in other languages, but you can usually change the audio language back to the original in the subtitles settings (and add English subtitles).

• Upvote 4

On 11/7/2023 at 2:18 PM, Cupcake79 said:

Languages is one of my favorite topics. I live in Finland, but my mother tongue is Swedish, which is spoken by a minority here (a bit like in Quebec in Canada). I went to a Swedish school but learned Finnish from third grade, then English from fifth grade. In our equivalent to high school I also took German. Some took French and some didn’t choose a fourth language. Since Swedish is very close to both NorwegiaSn and Danish I also understand written and spoken Norwegian and written Danish, but it’s hard to understand spoken Danish. I guess if I’d move to Denmark I would get the hang of it rather soon. Someone mentioned Dutch here. I don’t understand spoken Dutch, but I can get the main picture of a written article because it’s close to both English and German. At some point I took a Spanish class and today as I was watching a Netflix documentary about Ronaldo I noticed that I could pinpoint that he mostly spoke Portuguese, not Spanish, because I didn’t recognize any words. I might be a bit of a nerd, but I find it exciting. I also watch the Netflix series Fauda where Arabic and Hebrew is spoken and I absolutely cannot tell the difference. I sincerely hope Lydia starts to speak German to Ryker and that Trace bothers to learn a few basic words in German. 

I took French starting in 7th grade, and then in 10th, I added Spanish and skipped second year Spanish, so, I basically went to level 4 spanish and level 5 french before graduating high school, and then I lived in Spain for a few months.  Knowing those two, (and having spent time in Catalunya), I can pretty much read Catalan and Italian, at least enough to get the gist.  When I took my daughter to visit my "family" a few years ago, she was so weirded out that I could translate all the written Catalan.  

However, I worked at a summer camp with a foreign staff and ended up bunking with a bunch of romanians, and one time I woke up and thought I was having a stroke because they were talking and my half-asleep brain thought it was Spanish and couldn't figure out why I couldn't understand any of it.

I also studied Croatian for a year and that was really hard, because it has so many more cases than we use in English (and three genders).  But I have a student this year whose mom is from Bosnia, so I use common greetings with her, and she has sent kids books in for me to read (I let my students bring in books for me to read) and I can at least pronounce the words and sometimes understand them lol)

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, monkeyrocks71 said:

However, I worked at a summer camp with a foreign staff and ended up bunking with a bunch of romanians, and one time I woke up and thought I was having a stroke because they were talking and my half-asleep brain thought it was Spanish and couldn't figure out why I couldn't understand any of it.

Not surprising that you thought Spanish since Romanian is a Romance language, although closer to Italian (or, actually, ‘vulgar’ Latin) but w/ a Slavic influence. Romanian sounds most like Portuguese to me - likely due to some similar sounds I hear in both languages which I don’t hear in Spanish or French - I haven’t spent enough time around Italian speakers to judge how close it sounds to Romanian.

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:52 PM, monkeyrocks71 said:

I took French starting in 7th grade, and then in 10th, I added Spanish and skipped second year Spanish, so, I basically went to level 4 spanish and level 5 french before graduating high school, and then I lived in Spain for a few months.  Knowing those two, (and having spent time in Catalunya), I can pretty much read Catalan and Italian, at least enough to get the gist.  When I took my daughter to visit my "family" a few years ago, she was so weirded out that I could translate all the written Catalan.  

I also studied Croatian for a year and that was really hard, because it has so many more cases than we use in English (and three genders).  But I have a student this year whose mom is from Bosnia, so I use common greetings with her, and she has sent kids books in for me to read (I let my students bring in books for me to read) and I can at least pronounce the words and sometimes understand them lol)

I worked with a bunch of Brazilians one summer. I speak (shitty) Spanish. Every time I heard them speak Portuguese, I felt like I was having an acid flashback.

• Upvote 4

English is taught in 4th grade in my country if you go to state school. But because I was in private school from kindergarten to junior high, I had better TOEFL and IELTS scores compared to my friends. I went to state owned high school and we had 3 years of foreign language class, either French or German. I picked German and now almost 2 decades later, aside from guten morgen, guten tag, and guten abend, I only remember danke, auf wiedersehen, and tschüss. Tschüss was especially memorable because it was fun to pronounce. We have a slang, "cus", basically means "let's go"/"gone" depends on the context. I suspect it was taken from tschüss because it has similar pronunciation.

• Upvote 4

On 11/10/2023 at 5:52 AM, GreenBeans said:

Often they’re regional/local and not in the text book conversation you practiced, and just when you finally work up the courage to actually start talking in that foreign-to-you language, a native replies with something unexpected and you’re back to square one. 😂

This is very true, and I do live in  a region where most everyone speaks Swabian to some degree. It’s so funny though, I have oboe lessons with a nice German lady from somewhere in the middle of Germany. She speaks like a language CD, and generally keeps sentences shortish, so we manage to talk about 90% of topics, and we probably understand 80-90% of everything the other says. She did also teach kindergartners for years, so that might explain it, she talks to me like I am a giant kindergartner, haha.

I recently had a lesson, we talked about music theory, an opera, German theatre subsidies, Brexit, the weather, her eBike, parking woes, etc. with bad grammar and some hand gestures on my part, admittedly. I then bumped into the janitor on my way home, and he stopped me for a chat. I think he just said hi, asked after my partner, told me someone was moving in upstairs, and bitched about the weather. But only because I heard my partner’s name, the rest he gesticulated a lot. Other than the name, I understood maybe two or three words. It was very deflating, lol.

I know Germans often mock the Saxonian German, but I have had way more problems with Swabian. Probably because I am in a tiny town here, and was only in  big towns in Saxony (I did need subtitles on “Go, Trabi, Go” just to understand the place names, though… but I think that was played up for the film). But I will not let any southern German mock Saxonian, unless they speak like they are from Hannover, especially my partner’s very mumbling, dialect using bavarian father!

I found the German in Hamburg was the easiest to understand, even though I actually spoke much less German back when I visited. The really funny thing was that I was on a conference with my Swiss German friend, and though she obviously speaks “proper” German, she didn’t do it often. Not surprisingly, since we were studying in England, and when she is in Switzerland, she speaks Bernese Swiss. She made me do the talking, and somehow managed to not understand quite a lot. That made me feel better!

• Upvote 4

For me the Cologne area German is the easiest to understand. Munich is my dream destination but god knows the Bavarian accent is the hardest for me to understand. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/10/2023 at 4:52 AM, GreenBeans said:

I think that’s the same in all languages, you just don’t realize when it’s your own language, because you don’t even think about it.

For example, in English it could be “Hi”, “Hello”, “How are you (today)”, “What’s up”, “Good morning”, “Good to see you”… Those colloquial every day expressions can really be confusing for someone just starting to learn the language. Often they’re regional/local and not in the text book conversation you practiced, and just when you finally work up the courage to actually start talking in that foreign-to-you language, a native replies with something unexpected and you’re back to square one. 😂

Adding a couple of Scots ones: aye aye and fit like. Pretty sure aye aye can be Welsh too. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/18/2023 at 12:37 PM, Zebedee said:

I know Germans often mock the Saxonian German, but I have had way more problems with Swabian. Probably because I am in a tiny town here, and was only in  big towns in Saxon

The more southern you go in Germany, the more difficult it is to understand the dialect, because it deviates so much from standard text book German. My husband is from northern Germany and went to university in the south. Even as a German native speaker he had issues understanding locals.

• Upvote 6

We moved to Portugal a couple of months ago and although I speak pretty good French, decent Italian, and some Spanish, spoken Portuguese is SO DAMN HARD (European Portuguese even more so than Brazilian Portuguese). I can actually understand a lot of written Portuguese, but the minute someone talks to me (which is obviously all the time since I live in Portugal 🙃) my brain just shuts off and I stare at them like they're speaking Klingon. It's very humbling, to say the least.

• Upvote 5

New vlog - 

4 - 5 minutes of Lydia trying on clothes all in "the color black." 

They are driving to South Carolina. Lydia and Ryker are in the back seat. Trace is driving. It's a lot of traffic. Lydia is wearing the heatless curlers. Riveting as they discuss if a lane ahead is closed. The drama. Oh my! Will Ryker keep sleeping? Trace doesn't like traffic. Will it be dark? They arrive at about sunset. 

Younger brothers and sisters carry their stuff inside. Josie and family brought the camper to stay in at the farm. Trace wants his grandparents to meet Ryker. He also wants Ryker to meet William. Does he think Ryker and William are going to network? They are months old at this point.

Papa Bill is sitting on the porch. He says he's been waiting to meet the baby. He has been sick and seems to be struggling a bit. He never quite looks over at the baby who they put in a stroller to take from the car to the porch. Kelly Jo comes out to greet them. Janie is inside and goes for Ryker who she wheels into the bedroom as he wakes up. Janie holds him and comments that he doesn't look like Trace any longer. Says she likes his ears and hair. 

Judson has been hunting but came inside because it is cold. He wants to play croquette. 

Janie still doesn't like crowds at her house. She says she has been "laying over there praying about it" and says she is "scared to death." Trace says it isn't just the food because there is the parade and football. Lydia says that Ryker likes to watch football. Papa Bill wanders in and out of the room. Trace tells him to come look at his great-grandson. Janie tells him to take off his sunglasses. He now walks with a limp. 

Cut to Thanksgiving. Ryker is asleep. Erin and crew made it in the night before, as did Nathan and family, Tori and family, Michael/Brandon, and Lawson/Tiffany. Kelton is making the turkeys. Kelly Jo has apparently claimed to be in charge and has everyone making different things. Glad she isn't just hanging out like she did on the show and making Janie do it all with the older girls. Lydia is very tired and quiet, but she says she will put on makeup and do the family photoshoot. They now have cheap microphones for their videos that have a distracting green light on their chests. Trace and Lydia do math and say there are 45ish people there and 14 kids under the age of six. 

Janie is watching the parade. She is in her bathrobe and in a recliner. I know Papa Bill has dementia and has had heart problems per Gil. She is not as young as the spunky version we used to see on television. She starts talking about how she needs to get cooking. Trace seems to steer her in another direction and say they need to see more of the parade. Not sure but the language was similar to how we used to dissuade my aunt with dementia who thought she was still cooking the whole meal. We'd usually hand her a baby or give her a different task.

They play croquette finally. William is now awake. Lydia cleans bottles. Tori is cooking. Gil wanders through asking if they are done with the eggs. The drama is back. We're only half way done. Trace and Lydia slip out with Ryker while people are cooking to show Ryker the cows.  Per Lydia the cows that they saw at 4th of July are nearly grown now. She says this like it is news. She then gets distracted by a cat. Trace warns not to step in the poop. Ryker is asleep and I'm jealous. He is apparently in a Thanksgiving outfit that Trace wants to show off. Lydia has him swaddled/covered. She says to wait until they get inside. Foreshadowing!

Lydia is scared of the cows and keeps looking for cats. Did you know kittens become grown up cats? She found a white cat and wishes they took it home when it was a kitten as it looks like Maui. She doesn't want to live on a farm. She's okay with goats but not cows. She thinks a cow is following her and wants to go back inside. Trace doesn't seem to care that she is afraid. He tries to get it to come closer. Then they are talking about what they are thankful for this year. Ryker is 12 lbs. and just over 2 months old. They talk about the difference in size of Ryker and William. Trace finds Brooklyn who wants to feed a cow. The cow moves toward her and she gets scared. He says she wants to touch the cow. She is upset and says, "But I didn't want it to touch me." She finally pets the cow and then sees a calf. She tells him the cows are going to try to eat her up and the poop is trying to get her.

Lydia says she and Kelly (and others who don't like football) will watch Hallmark Christmas movies - interesting. Kelly talks about family and what she is thankful for this year. Janie looks around and never at Kelly. Gil says not everyone could come this year. Apparently there are a few campers and RVs. He and Kelly joke about it.

They eat. 

They do a photoshoot with Papa Bill and Janie. Three of Erin's girls are wearing the same dress. Brooklyn is not. They take a pic of all the Williams (Lawson, William, Gil, and Papa Bill) and then kick Lawson out of the next shot to his protest. Kelly tells Lydia she is glad Ryker looks more like Lydia because it makes him cuter. Then they do more pics of individual families. Brooklyn continues to tell it like it is. Trace shoots video of her holding William. She tells him she's holding the baby.  

Then they talk more about what we just watched. 

Ryker is asleep again. I'm going to go take a nap.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 7

I really hope Papa Bill and Janie have some sort of regular help in their home and at their farm.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I really hope Papa Bill and Janie have some sort of regular help in their home and at their farm.

I thought Michaela trained as a nurse so she could help her grandparents? Hope she is indeed using her skills and knowledge to help them out.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Gil siblings both have houses in the property so i am sure they get help from them.

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

I want to say, I don’t think Lydia posted this to offend or hurt anyone. Or even to stir drama. I just think she wanted to show the difference between newborn Ryker and 3 month old Ryker. But online mommy shaming is real. Especially around breast and formula feeding. So her post could stir up a few people or come off wrong. 

62F0FB7A-CCA0-419E-A694-D3BB6B0B22D8.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

On 11/9/2023 at 11:52 PM, GreenBeans said:

Or, where I live, Hi, Hey, Hey there, Yo, Mornin', How ya doin'? 

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

This week's video~ Porch chat with Mama Jane. She gets anxious and can't sleep when the whole crew is coming. She doesn't like that they move around the furniture. She tells a story about Trace climbing a tree and falling out of it. She said she was ready to take him to the emergency room but Gil took him inside and "he came to" (Trace says he just had the wind knocked out of him) so they didn't go to the emergency room. In the spring, Mama Jane broke her vertebrae. Gil came out to help, as well as his siblings. She couldn't even get out of bed without help. During this time, Papa Bill had surgery and Michael came to visit, staying with him in the hospital. She said Papa Bill was in the hospital twice, one time was gall bladder surgery. Didn't say what the other was. She says she can't cook anymore. She has a lady come to clean and help out.  The neighbors bring food. They are just taking it one day at a time. She enjoys the smaller crowds better than the larger crowds. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 5

Well, maybe since it is her house they should honor their parents and not come in huge droves and rearrange the house.  But that's for thee, not me in the fundie style.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

On 12/14/2023 at 12:19 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I want to say, I don’t think Lydia posted this to offend or hurt anyone. Or even to stir drama. I just think she wanted to show the difference between newborn Ryker and 3 month old Ryker. But online mommy shaming is real. Especially around breast and formula feeding. So her post could stir up a few people or come off wrong. 

62F0FB7A-CCA0-419E-A694-D3BB6B0B22D8.jpeg

I’m sure it wasn’t meant as offensive, but it does come off that way, like she thinks formula fed babies end up looking like skeletal PoW or something. 

It comes off as really passive aggressive. Full offense taken. But that’s just my opinion. 

Edited by SorenaJ
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I’m sure it wasn’t meant as offensive, but it does come off that way, like she thinks formula fed babies end up looking like skeletal PoW or something. 

It comes off as really passive aggressive. Full offense taken. But that’s just my opinion. 

I had one formula fed baby and one BF only. The formula fed one was chubbier. But it’s hard to tell what was muscle what was fat. He has always been much more muscular than others his age. While my younger son (BF) has never been muscular. So he actually looked thinner as a baby than his formula fed brother. But I honestly think those two have always been built completely different. They still have totally different builds. One takes after me and one takes after my husband. I doubt it has anything to do with what they were fed and much to do with their genetics. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1