IGNORED

Katie and Travis 6: Maturing Faster than Carlin

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, JillyO said:

Right?! I would never ever expect grandparents to dedicate an entire room to their grandchildren, but if you're going to have a play room at your house, for heaven's sake add some color. Without people for scale, and with the only exceptions of the swing and the toys Hailey is actively playing with (which I'm sure were stored away out of sight as soon as she was done), I wouldn't even be able to tell it's supposed to be a room designed for kids. It's literally just small versions of adult stuff.

Here's a hint for you, Clarkes: Kids need to see their toys in order to play with them. You definitely don't need a million different toys (on the contrary, too many toys can often overwhelm kids), but they DO need to be able to see the ones you have. They won't independently find what's carefully hidden away in those black storage boxes.

I have a feeling that in 2 years after a few christmases and birthdays, it will be much more full of toys. But they might all be beige 😬

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

Most children by a year will adjust fine to toys are in black boxes at this house and gleefully dump the contents to see what toys are there or to findwhat they want.  My daughter had some animal design bins and some plain brown and navy ones and the kids never had a preference for the animal pictures over the plain ones.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The constant dumping. FFS I hated the constant dumping. All I did was pick up dumped toys when I had a toddler. 

LOL It's what they're born to do.  My solution was closet shelving.  I'd put out a bin or basket or two at a time and the rest stayed in the child locked closet.  Every playtime got a new bin.  

• Upvote 3

My 19 month-old nephew LOVES emptying the contents of a box out (my sister has all the toys in plain white boxes) and then pushing it all under any available piece of furniture (couch, cupboards etc...) It drives my sister bonkers!  Upstairs in the kids bedroom all the furniture is luckily floor length.... 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hazelbunny said:

My 19 month-old nephew LOVES emptying the contents of a box out (my sister has all the toys in plain white boxes) and then pushing it all under any available piece of furniture (couch, cupboards etc...) It drives my sister bonkers!  Upstairs in the kids bedroom all the furniture is luckily floor length.... 

Why do they do that? The amounts of stuff I have found between sofa cushions or under pillows and blankets….

Funny enough, our first didn’t. But this one was never into the usual children quirks anyway. We are basically back to square one with parenting. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The constant dumping. FFS I hated the constant dumping. All I did was pick up dumped toys when I had a toddler. 

Oh my god, I remember my nephew and niece going through that phase. We were picking everything up once and my nephew kept wailing, "It's too hard to put them away. IT'S TOO HARD." I'm ashamed that I replied, "It wasn't too hard to get them out, was it?" BAD AUNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

The only thing that works is limiting what is available to them to dump.  Sometimes then they'll refill the container themselves before pouring it out again.

• Upvote 7

13 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

The only thing that works is limiting what is available to them to dump.  Sometimes then they'll refill the container themselves before pouring it out again.

Yes, my toddlers were not overloaded with toys, so there wasn't much to dump! That's the Montessori way, too!

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Daycare has taught my daughter to pick up after herself most of the time.  They did a better job than we ever could at that.  She will even sing the clean up song to herself quietly.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Daycare has taught my daughter to pick up after herself most of the time.  They did a better job than we ever could at that.  She will even sing the clean up song to herself quietly.

Man, the power of tidying up songs is amazing! I found I didn’t have to know/remember the words as long as I hummed the melody well enough. First there were a few weird looks, but then they actually started doing a better job then all my asking previously had achieved.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this was surprising to me that she had to have major surgery. When my husband had a huge kidney stone years ago (ugh!) they were able to break it up using ultrasound.  They knocked him out and he had a bruise like he'd been beaten but no pain and no stent. What would be the reason to do it the way they've done it? I know we have lots of medical people here. Hope she starts to feel better. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

So this was surprising to me that she had to have major surgery. When my husband had a huge kidney stone years ago (ugh!) they were able to break it up using ultrasound.  They knocked him out and he had a bruise like he'd been beaten but no pain and no stent. What would be the reason to do it the way they've done it? I know we have lots of medical people here. Hope she starts to feel better. 

"Although most kidney stones pass on their own, your doctor may decide that surgery is the best treatment if you have stones lodged in the ureters, the tubes that carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder; large or particularly painful kidney stones; stones causing an obstruction of urine flow; or stones resulting in bleeding or infection." source

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

My dad had a kidney stone and they removed it surgically rather than breaking it up. I thought maybe it was a male/female thing since the women that I had known with them had them broken up, but maybe it has to do with size and composition or just physician preference.

• Upvote 2

I had a kidney stone 2 years ago. It was the most painful thing ever. Although mine wasn’t particularly large, I had continuous vomiting from the pain. I was on huge doses of fentanyl every 20 minutes and as soon as it would wear off, the vomiting started again. There was no way I could wait until it passed on its own so I had surgery to remove as well. 

• Love 7

@BeccaGrim there are a variety of treatments for kidney stones. Size matters but so does location. I doubt she received treatment when she first experienced symptoms so it's also possible she went to surgery due to complications of waiting too long to seek treatment. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

@BeccaGrim there are a variety of treatments for kidney stones. Size matters but so does location. I doubt she received treatment when she first experienced symptoms so it's also possible she went to surgery due to complications of waiting too long to seek treatment. 

She’s been talking about this since last year. She was in the ER twice that I recall. She didn’t get rushed into surgery. I think they tried other things. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

17 hours ago, Giraffe said:

They were very frustrated with the long wait between her initial ER visit and the urologist appt. It was like 6 months out for the first available appt. That was just the initial patient appt and then I forget what the doc recommended at the time... that was on her bday. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, gobucks said:

They were very frustrated with the long wait between her initial ER visit and the urologist appt. It was like 6 months out for the first available appt. That was just the initial patient appt and then I forget what the doc recommended at the time... that was on her bday. 

Yeah I get she’s frustrated with that care but knowing she most likely votes GOP it’s hard for me to feel sympathy. What about voting for people who actually want to improve the health care system? But no, those are the bad guys, better vote for a party that embraces a dictator /sarcasm

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 16

18 hours ago, Smash! said:

Yeah I get she’s frustrated with that care but knowing she most likely votes GOP it’s hard for me to feel sympathy. What about voting for people who actually want to improve the health care system? But no, those are the bad guys, better vote for a party that embraces a dictator /sarcasm

Her care was shocking to me.  With my husband, they moved so fast.  It was maybe a week.  Diagnosis to removal.  She's in New Jersey. They have very good medical care there (I lived there for a while).  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 12/6/2023 at 6:14 AM, BeccaGrim said:

Per my doctors, lithotripsy on its own is rarely done any longer. I'm glad because I had a miserable time with it and the nausea. I have had it years ago and now when I get a stone the doctor goes in and zaps from the inside, inserts a stent and that is the end of that. Other than groggy I feel nothing afterward. 

While extremely painful and miserable, kidney stones are not considered an emergency unless they block the flow of urine. Most emergency rooms simply diagnose, give some pain meds, and tell you to see your own urologist. Katie probably had to find one, make a first time appointment, etc. That does take time. My urologist does kidney stone surgery two days a week and the other three are for in office visits. It can be a long time before she has a spot open up. I had to fight non-stop for my last surgery.

Her procedure wasn't major surgery in terms of kidney stones. My mother had one the size of a baseball and they had to cut into her kidney via her back. That was major surgery. Katie's wasn't even a full 23 hours in the hospital as a patient. Not trying to minimize what she went through, as none of it is fun, but their video on it was total click bait. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

Last week's video... They did Katie's surgery. She was loopy from the anesthesia. They were able to get the stones and add a stent. They showed the Stewarts and Ellie in town to help while she recovered. They all went to dinner at Travis' family's house. Evan and Travis did a duet of Silent Night with a cheesy music video at the end. 

• Upvote 4

On 12/15/2023 at 9:44 PM, gobucks said:

Last week's video...

You made me watch it for the cheese... and it looks like I'm cheesy, too. Their duet was catchy and as cheesy as the video was it looks like they intended for it to be cheesy. I can't review the full video because I wasn't paying attention to it until they began singing. It makes me wonder if Travis would use electronic pitch control, or whatever it is called, for Lawson if he recorded a song with him.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1