IGNORED

Katie and Travis 6: Maturing Faster than Carlin

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, gobucks said:

*snip* I wish had $100 to throw away for no reason.

TBF, that $100 is going to make them a bunch depending on how many youtube views they get and/or it was paid for via the sponsorship they showed. And the sponsorship didn't look atrocious -the items were at least reasonably priced.

Katie also mentioned that they were going to be eating the leftovers from the day's ordering.

It's a grab-bag style challenge. Honestly, it wasn't the most enthralling content in the format they did it just because they got whiny, but... They should have just stuck with restaurants they actually like a majority of the menu for. Like I'm guessing they chose BK solely for the controversy of their comments so people interact with it more. Mickey D's wouldn't have gotten those. Same with Taco Bell, it made people go DAE they're ridiculous about Taco Bell?!

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, gobucks said:

They must be hurting for content for their YouTube. This week, they told people to buy Native deodorant and wasted money ordering whatever the people in front of them ordered at several fast food places. They go to Burger King and Katie whines that they used to use horse meat (???) and she hates it. She spits out the chicken fries and spits out a Taco Bell taco because she thinks they have gross meat. They also go to Starbucks and complain that neither of them like coffee when they get their order. Riveting content. I wish had $100 to throw away for no reason.

I think Carlin and Evan did this "challenge" too. I can't watch these. I feel sick when I hear or watch people eat. Her spitting stuff out would make me vomit. 

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Like I'm guessing they chose BK solely for the controversy of their comments so people interact with it more.

Is there something controversial about Burger King these days that I'm not familiar with?  I really just forget they exist at all...

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, gobucks said:

This week's video.. They are looking at a 18 momth-2 year age gap between kids. 

Yeah I figured it would be more like 2 years. I hope she realizes an 18 month gap means getting pregnant when Hailey is 9 months. Hailey will probably turn 9 months and she will be like, I’m not quite ready yet. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah I figured it would be more like 2 years. I hope she realizes an 18 month gap means getting pregnant when Hailey is 9 months. Hailey will probably turn 9 months and she will be like, I’m not quite ready yet. 

Yeah I agree with you, her daughter is almost 7 months now, but they don't seem ready to have another one. 

I don't see her trying to get pregnant in the next two months to be honest

• Upvote 7

According to Katie’s stories, Travis’s parents are converting their dining room into a playroom for the babies. They really do dote on the grandchildren. I mean, I think the Clark’s are creepy but I can see why Katie would prefer them to her family. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

18 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

According to Katie’s stories, Travis’s parents are converting their dining room into a playroom for the babies. They really do dote on the grandchildren. I mean, I think the Clark’s are creepy but I can see why Katie would prefer them to her family. 

Katie may like it now. But it could get old. I personally wouldn’t be surprised if they poked their nose into their lives much more than the Bates parents. Overbearing in laws are a common issue in marriages. Katie wants the help now. But she may not be as enthused 5 years from now. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Katie may like it now. But it could get old. I personally wouldn’t be surprised if they poked their nose into their lives much more than the Bates parents. Overbearing in laws are a common issue in marriages. Katie wants the help now. But she may not be as enthused 5 years from now. 

I think Katie is the perfect DIL for those kind of ILs becuse she is a people pleaser and starved for attention. 

my paternal grandparents were like that (wealthy, overbearing) and my mom grew up poor and neglected, one of eight kids, and while my mom is outspoken, stubborn and not a people pleaser at all, she got along well with my dad’s parents despite their controlling nature because they gave her the attention she had never gotten and they doted on me and the trade-off was worth it to them . My parents  even moved in with them. 

I could see Katie being the same. Especially as I think she is one of the more docile Bates girls. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

On 9/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Is there something controversial about Burger King these days that I'm not familiar with?  I really just forget they exist at all...

Alleged horse meat use a decade ago, apparently. They mentioned it in their video ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't remember hearing about it either.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 9/15/2023 at 3:19 PM, CanadianMamam said:

she got along well with my dad’s parents despite their controlling nature because they gave her the attention she had never gotten and they doted on me and the trade-off was worth it to them .

It’s similar with my brother’s family. My parents adore their grand kids, pick them up from daycare several days a week, pitch in on lots of things (eating out, kids’ gear, house repairs…) and are basically available for babysitting all the time, even with no notice at all. My brother and his wife would get along fine without the grandparent support, but it’s a win for everyone involved.

Of course on the flip side, my parents meddle in child rearing quite and  everyday lives a lot and will have their own opinions e.g. whether the grand kids are dressed properly for the weather, whether the parents should be stricter or less strict etc.

I love my parents dearly, but this kind of involvement wouldn’t be for me, so I’m glad we have a healthy distance (also geographically) and only come to visit from time to time. But it’s fine for my brother and his wife, for them the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

• Upvote 5

My parents so far have one grandchild (+ one on the way), and they absolutely love her. They babysit one fixed day a week, and are generally always willing to babysit more, on the premise that my brother and sil ask on time (brother and sil are not very good with that). I think on average they babysit 3 extra days a month and 3 extra evenings. My mom still works part time, which is the sole reason they don't babysit more. I fully expect my mom to voluntarily take up more babysitting days when she's retired.

But they don't infringe on my brother en sil's parenting ethos. Brother and sil chose to raise my niece vegetarian (which I 100% support). I've been vegetarian for 6 years now and my dad loves to nag me about it and about how eating meat is natural and not wrong and blablabla. I kind of expected my dad not to respect brother and sil's wishes to raise my niece vegetarian, but both my parents respect it and adhere to it. They don't give my niece meat, and when she got a cow's milk allergy my parents immediately switched to completely meat and dairy free on the days they babysit. 
Brother and sil let my niece watch children's tv during dinner time when they want to be able to focus on their own dinner. My parents vehemently disagree with this (which I know because they told me), but they also believe this is not their child to raise and they now also sometimes let my niece watch a show during dinner.

There are some things they disagree with in the way brother and sil choose to raise their daughter, but unless my niece's health would be in danger, they also believe that brother and sil have the right to raise their daughter how they see fit and they really try to not infringe on how brother and sil parent. And I respect that. .

• Upvote 9

My parents (mostly my dad) have a lot of suggestions about child rearing which I listen to, filter, and discard.  It's easy enough because I can tell it all comes from his unbelievable love for my daughter.  Sometimes I gently remind him that we, too, have a vested interest in her health and well-being.  I love being so close to them after a number of years living 20 hours away, and know I'm incredibly lucky to have such a good relationship with both parents and my only sibling (who is my daughter's favorite person on earth).

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

• 1 month later...

Katie and Hailey have been down in Tennessee staying with Carlin for the last few days. Today Josie was hanging out with her mom and Lydia while Carlin and Katie were at BSB. At least that’s how it seemed on IG. It seems really odd to me that Josie hasn’t even acknowledged that Katie is in town (and also that Katie hasn't gone over to visit with Josie.) Everyone seems to be playing it cool, but I’m convinced that there’s definitely something negative going on between Josie and Carlin and Katie is Team Carlin.

• Upvote 5

I'm an only child so I am probably more sensitive to such things as who stays with whom and who talks to whom. I agree the Katie/Carlin thing is odd. Carlin mentioned needing Katie for transportation because she can't drive and Evan was busier than normal this week. However, I would think Katie would stay with her parents and see multiple siblings rather than just one sister. Last visit (after the wedding), I see that Katie and Carlin (and families) did have dinner with Josie and family. That feels a bit awkward to me to sit with the sister you used to be close to and the sister you are never close to while watching them have inside jokes with each other.  I feel bad for Willow who Katie doted on quite a bit as an aunt before getting married. 

Josie doesn't seem to be as much of a people person. She seems more serious and as introspective as a Bates gets. Katie is more mature than she was, but she is still very flighty and silly, as is Carlin's personality. They don't have as much in common now. Before they had cosmetology and wedding planning. That can happen in relationships, even family. I have a cousin who our relationship ebbs and flows. Sometimes we have all the things to discuss. Other points in our life are very different.  

• Upvote 7

Man the Clark grandparents have plenty of money. They’ve turned a whole room into a grandchild play room. And they just have 2 babies. Imagine all the toys that will be there in the future. 

7A106D94-EEA1-40EC-B8F9-6BF84D46404E.jpeg

I guess it’s good she answered this question. She’s not the only Bates daughter who lives in a perpetual vacation. 

868E8487-086F-4044-BC1C-0BFAB8B8FF0F.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 1

Lying down, wearing a tie/pencil skirt, playing with a baby, is sooo 1950's. Not very comfy IMO. The room is utterly beige, Katie must feel in heaven there.

I think Hailey is being feed with kool-aid, but at least she receives a lot of attention. Could be worse, but Clark grandfather gives me deep dark vibes, so I don't think Hailey is as lucky as it seems.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

7 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Lying down, wearing a tie/pencil skirt, playing with a baby, is sooo 1950's. Not very comfy IMO. The room is utterly beige, Katie must feel in heaven there.

I think Hailey is being feed with kool-aid, but at least she receives a lot of attention. Could be worse, but Clark grandfather gives me deep dark vibes, so I don't think Hailey is as lucky as it seems.

I agree. I don’t get any bad vibes from Travis’s mom. But his dad. Eek. I would keep my distance from that guy. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree. I don’t get any bad vibes from Travis’s mom. But his dad. Eek. I would keep my distance from that guy. 

Though if our assumptions about Travis's dad are correct (and I, too, get the sense he's violent in some way or another, be it physically or verbally), his mother is an enabler. And though it seems that she might have been groomed, shes an adult since decades now and responsible for her actions. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Man the Clark grandparents have plenty of money. They’ve turned a whole room into a grandchild play room. And they just have 2 babies. Imagine all the toys that will be there in the future. 

I'm not sure if you can judge their finances by the fact that they have an empty room. Havent' their kids all moved out, or mostly moved out? That would explain the empty room, doesn't say much about their finances.

1 hour ago, FluffySnowball said:

Though if our assumptions about Travis's dad are correct (and I, too, get the sense he's violent in some way or another, be it physically or verbally), his mother is an enabler. And though it seems that she might have been groomed, shes an adult since decades now and responsible for her actions. 

True but if I’m remembering their love story correctly, she came from a broken home and started seeing Travis’s dad when she was a teen. And basically got sucked into the Clark family pretty young. But yes, she could leave him. But I imagine it’s probably hard. They were married when she was 18 and he was 21.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

True but if I’m remembering their love story correctly, she came from a broken home and started seeing Travis’s dad when she was a teen. And basically got sucked into the Clark family pretty young. But yes, she could leave him. But I imagine it’s probably hard. They were married when she was 18 and he was 21.

Yeah, her testimony gave me chills and made me sad. Broken home, both parents were addicts and both ended up abandoning her at different points. She was given a scholarship to the Clark family school and I believe she was 15 when she started dating Travis’s dad who was 18 and she was dependent on his family’s church/school for basically everything. 

• Sad 11

7 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Yeah, her testimony gave me chills and made me sad. Broken home, both parents were addicts and both ended up abandoning her at different points. She was given a scholarship to the Clark family school and I believe she was 15 when she started dating Travis’s dad who was 18 and she was dependent on his family’s church/school for basically everything. 

I wouldn’t be surprised that if we heard more details of her story, we would find she was groomed for the cult and groomed for her husband. 

• Sad 6
  • I Agree 6

20 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

The room is utterly beige, Katie must feel in heaven there.

Right?! I would never ever expect grandparents to dedicate an entire room to their grandchildren, but if you're going to have a play room at your house, for heaven's sake add some color. Without people for scale, and with the only exceptions of the swing and the toys Hailey is actively playing with (which I'm sure were stored away out of sight as soon as she was done), I wouldn't even be able to tell it's supposed to be a room designed for kids. It's literally just small versions of adult stuff.

Here's a hint for you, Clarkes: Kids need to see their toys in order to play with them. You definitely don't need a million different toys (on the contrary, too many toys can often overwhelm kids), but they DO need to be able to see the ones you have. They won't independently find what's carefully hidden away in those black storage boxes.

• Upvote 10