IGNORED

Arndts (Safe at Home) 7: Waiting on Wedding Photos

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

I thought “waiting on” someone meant like bringing food at a restaurant, and if you are waiting for someone or something to happen it’s “waiting for”. But I keep seeing the term “waiting on” in the context of waiting (rather than being served). Can you simply use both interchangeably?

You are correct. Your description of the difference between waiting on and waiting for is accurate. 

Unfortunately, many people who are native English speakers lack proper understanding of such grammatical nuances. They also confuse lay and lie. Who, whose, and whom seems to be rarely mastered as well. 

• I Agree 7

4 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

You are correct. Your description of the difference between waiting on and waiting for is accurate. 

Unfortunately, many people who are native English speakers lack proper understanding of such grammatical nuances. They also confuse lay and lie. Who, whose, and whom seems to be rarely mastered as well. 

Affect and effect are the ones that drive me nuts.

As for 'waiting on' vs. 'waiting for,' yup, 100% correct. Now I suppose you could describe the use as a common colloquialism. The English language is beyond stupid... it's like Esperanto's meth addicted cousin. You're doing great @GreenBeans!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

“Waiting on” used in the same way as “waiting for” seems to be a regional USAdian idiom.

I first encountered it when working in a McDonald’s in the early ‘70s (in Connecticut). People at the front counter would call out things like “Waiting on a Big Mac” when they needed items for customers’ orders.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

To me, this dog is waiting on a burger (several actually). What he is waiting for - I do not know. 

image.jpeg.beaea69f9f0bcd859628c5fbeb3535fc.jpeg

“On” tends to be substituted in a lot of cases that sound off to me. It’s definitely colloquial. In/on line is a big one. I would say I’m standing in a line (however poorly formed it may be), but unless there is an actual line drawn on the floor…

On/for is the one that most grates on my ears, but hey. There are many people who, I’m sure, cringe at my overuse of parentheses, ellipses, dashes, and emojis, so I guess we’re even! 😆

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

One I always notice is "on accident" vs "by accident", but I think this is an American v British thing rather than anything else. "On accident" just seems wrong to me, as a Brit. 

Another one I've noticed is "breathe" and "breath". "Breathe" is the verb, and "breath" is the noun (e.g. the baby drew its first breath, I ran out of breath etc). But so often these days I see stuff like "I couldn't breath" and it just looks so wrong. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

I’m in the Midwest (Chicago) and often hear and use “waiting on.” And I will also point out that the Rolling Stones wrote “Waiting on a Friend.” I guess it sounds kind of folksy, but it doesn’t hurt my ears.

Edited by JDuggs
Missed a word
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

One I always notice is "on accident" vs "by accident", but I think this is an American v British thing rather than anything else. "On accident" just seems wrong to me, as a Brit. 

Another one I've noticed is "breathe" and "breath". "Breathe" is the verb, and "breath" is the noun (e.g. the baby drew its first breath, I ran out of breath etc). But so often these days I see stuff like "I couldn't breath" and it just looks so wrong. 

That one bothers me a bit too. As a Canadian, I say “by accident” vs “on purpose” but I’ve noticed a few podcasters saying “on accident”. It sounds so wrong to my ears. 

• Upvote 9

As an American “Kraft Dinner” bothers me.

I’m just kidding. 

• Haha 5

Regional expressions are interesting. In my province, we call jam filled doughnuts jam busters but I gather that jam buster is a prairie term. What does everyone else call them? 

• Upvote 2

Jam filled deep fried dough is called Sufganiyot or Krapfen  depending on which grandmother made them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

56 minutes ago, Bassett Lady said:

Jam filled deep fried dough is called Sufganiyot or Krapfen  depending on which grandmother made them. 

In Germany there are at least four different names for Krapfen. 

Krapfen, Berliner, Pfannkuchen, Kräppel. 

For me it's the Kräppel, and Pfannkuchen is something totally different. It's funny. 

Edited by Scrabblemaster
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

Regional expressions are interesting. In my province, we call jam filled doughnuts jam busters but I gather that jam buster is a prairie term. What does everyone else call them? 

"Donut" or "jelly filled donut" or "<flavor> filled donut", no special name here in the midwest. 

And now I want a lemon filled donut 🤤

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

We say jelly filled donut unless it’s an actual paczki.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Growing up, we’d call jelly filled doughnuts Bismarks. Google is telling me this is used for jelly or creme filled doughnuts. 

• Thank You 1

It’s a simple Jam Doughnut here in England… well south east anyway! 😊

Edited by Bettyhere
Spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Growing up, we’d call jelly filled doughnuts Bismarks. Google is telling me this is used for jelly or creme filled doughnuts. 

I consider a bismark with either Bavarian cream or white cream in it and often it is a long john shape (oblong almost rectangle instead of round like a jelly filled donut) 

As I type that all out, I think my mom calls jelly filled donuts Bismarks. 

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We say jelly filled donut unless it’s an actual paczki.

100% agree

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I consider a bismark with either Bavarian cream or white cream in it and often it is a long john shape (oblong almost rectangle instead of round like a jelly filled donut) 

As I type that all out, I think my mom calls jelly filled donuts Bismarks. 

100% agree

Now you’ve brought up long Johns! Those have a lot of names too. I worked at a bakery for years so I’ve heard a lot of words for donuts. But I try to stick with the easiest to say and the most descriptive. So jelly filled donuts are self explanatory.

• Haha 2

This donut talk could replace the nail polish talk to make trolls stop 🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 2

Cream filled sticks always sounded too dirty to me.

• Haha 11

6 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

This donut talk could replace the nail polish talk to make trolls stop 🤣

But the nail polish distraction is FJ lore! 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

"Waiting on" sounds funny to my ears too, I do think it's a US thing - possibly originally from AAVE? But language is functional and constantly evolving, so I hesitate to call it "wrong" if it's widely understood by its audience. The trouble is that English speaking countries like the US, UK, Canada, Australia, NZ etc are spread so widely across the globe that an evolution in the language in one country will look/sound/feel wrong to English speakers in another country.

• Upvote 5

On 3/25/2024 at 10:25 AM, mango_fandango said:

Sorry I’m late to respond to this but I believe it’s because of the “th” at the end. You’ll see the same mistake made with “bath/bathe” and “cloth/clothe.” 

• Upvote 4

Oh god guys. I’ve found myself 100% agreeing with Kathy Arndt. What a weird feeling. The fam team page posted Kathy saying she didn’t want to find out what she was having during pregnancy because she found that when it was a boy, she would tell people and they would say, “aww better luck next time.” And she didn’t feel that way at all. She was happy to be having another boy. And I totally agree with that feeling. I didn’t find out with my second and I knew e wry one wanted me to have a girl since I already had a boy. And I would have been so pissed if someone said that to me when I was pregnant. I genuinely didn’t care either way so if someone was disappointed, I would have gone off on them. I was a miserable pregnant person anyway. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 6

42 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh god guys. I’ve found myself 100% agreeing with Kathy Arndt. What a weird feeling. The fam team page posted Kathy saying she didn’t want to find out what she was having during pregnancy because she found that when it was a boy, she would tell people and they would say, “aww better luck next time.” And she didn’t feel that way at all. She was happy to be having another boy. And I totally agree with that feeling. I didn’t find out with my second and I knew e wry one wanted me to have a girl since I already had a boy. And I would have been so pissed if someone said that to me when I was pregnant. I genuinely didn’t care either way so if someone was disappointed, I would have gone off on them. I was a miserable pregnant person anyway. 

I would have had a hard time not saying "Birth Control!!!"

• Haha 3
  • I Agree 1